Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

El Sueño wrote: »
    And it's very rarely enforced

Yup

If you turn around and do as you're asked most guards won't issue a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yup

If people do that. If they don`t then they run the risk of being fined like for example the person who was caught and received a fine for being on 2 beaches in east Cork a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does anyone know if these fines are actually being paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yup

The guard will only turn you around if your reason is not valid. There's a long list of what's a valid reason.

The guard will only turn you around if your reason is not valid. There's a long list of what's a valid reason.

And you appear to support people using creative excuses for getting around the travel restrictions. Why is this?

• Advertisement

And you appear to support people using creative excuses for getting around the travel restrictions. Why is this?

What creative excuses ? Examples please. Humour me to quote yourself.
    I have said there is a list available online and provided you with examples when you asked. Try not to make unsubstantiated allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes that's true too

Still you'd really want to be pushing it to be fined

What creative excuses ? Examples please. Humour me to quote yourself.
    I have said there is a list available online and provided you with examples when you asked. Try not to make unsubstantiated allegations.

To reuse your own examples from your previous reply: excuses like "tending a grave," "to get essential home maintenance products", "to care for a relative" even when there is no proof that any of these are genuine.

Yes that's true too

Still you'd really want to be pushing it to be fined

I've have been stopped several times I find being honest works. Travelled from the my home in Roscommon to Limerick each time I was stopped give my reason no issue. Some of what's being posted here I believe is to try and get a rise out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭gipi

meanwhile in the UK and in Northern Ireland, 32 million will be vaccinated by April and self catering staycations, high street shops open, easing of restrictions on exercise, and families meeting up outdoors including grandparents is on the cards within weeks!!

I think when the sun starts shining, we see our neighbours and families in the UK back living their lives, we see people a few miles across the border back hiking in the mountains, playing golf, travelling anywhere in the country.......the narrative in Ireland will change big time!

The mood music has already changed. This thread has become so quiet in the last week, whereas other threads questioning the easing of restrictions and the "when will it all end" thread are flying.

I met with 2 of my brothers this weekend. A year ago they were hardline restriction people, the more the better. They have done a major U turn and after 5th March are no longer sticking with any 5km restriction and have trips planned within Ireland before Easter.
    People will be done with this as soon as the sun starts shining.
    I haven't yet met any of my siblings. I have 6 of them in counties like Westmeath, Kildare, Donegal....also the UK and US. Some of them are healthcare workers, some of them had vulnerable family members. So I haven't still met any of them sadly. I'm looking forward to it soon

So, did you meet with siblings or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Boris Johnson announcement: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has vowed that this lockdown will be the last, as he begins to develop his 'roadmap' for relaxing restrictions by Easter.

Mr Johnson and senior members of his cabinet are set to spend the week looking into the latest coronavirus statistics before making an announcement on its plans.

He said: "The dates that we'll be setting out will be the dates by which we hope we can do something at the earliest."

More than a dozen MPs have also called on Mr Johnson to allow restricted weddings to return from 8 March, followed by restriction-free weddings from 1 May.

To reuse your own examples from your previous reply: excuses like "tending a grave," "to get essential home maintenance products", "to care for a relative" even when there is no proof that any of these are genuine.

You accused me of being creative when I said valid excuses. What I listed is acceptable essential reasons just because they are not acceptable to ( at least that's the impression I get) you makes them no less valid.
    Hey if the lack of proof required bothers you , canvass you local TD to pass legislation that proof to accompany an essential journey is required.

gipi wrote: »
    So, did you meet with siblings or not?

I asked the poster a similar question earlier. Still waiting for a reply..............:rolleyes:

You accused me of being creative when I said valid excuses. What I listed is acceptable essential reasons just because they are not acceptable to ( at least that's the impression I get) you makes them no less valid.
    Hey if the lack of proof required bothers you , canvass you local TD to pass legislation that proof to accompany an essential journey is required.

Valid reasons in your opinion. Not valid if there is no proof of them being genuine. As for your suggestion in bold: Great idea. I might just do that.

Great suggestion. I might just do so.

So can you highlight these creative excuses you claimed I was suggesting or are you just making up stuff to suit your agenda?
    When you're ready please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

What kind of proofs would you expect someone to have. I travel twice a week over 5K for child care purposes. I've no poof this is the reason for my journey. And I'm not sure what proof I could provide if asked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ShyMets wrote: »
    What kind of proofs would you expect someone to have. I travel twice a week over 5K for child care purposes. I've no poof this is the reason for my journey. And I'm not sure what proof I could provide if asked

Unless you give the guard reason to doubt it, i doubt they would. However, if they come across you an hour later at the beach (like that guy they asked they go home in Cork who just went to a beach) that's when you'll get fined.

titan18 wrote: »
    Unless you give the guard reason to doubt it, i doubt they would. However, if they come across you an hour later at the beach (like that guy they asked they go home in Cork who just went to a beach) that's when you'll get fined.

2 different beaches actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Boris Johnson announcement: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has vowed that this lockdown will be the last, as he begins to develop his 'roadmap' for relaxing restrictions by Easter.

Mr Johnson and senior members of his cabinet are set to spend the week looking into the latest coronavirus statistics before making an announcement on its plans.

He said: "The dates that we'll be setting out will be the dates by which we hope we can do something at the earliest."

More than a dozen MPs have also called on Mr Johnson to allow restricted weddings to return from 8 March, followed by restriction-free weddings from 1 May.

That's all well and fine but will they actually be able to stick to it? A lot of empty promises have been made over the past 12 months, I won't be putting much faith in anything a politician says re. ending lockdowns and restrictions.

What will be will be at this stage.

2 different beaches actually.

Oh I know, they give him an allowance and just told him to go home the first time. So scenario here of i've got childcare/tending a grave etc, guards will allow you I'd imagine without any proof, but if they find you later and you're not doing that, that's when you're screwed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mcburns07 wrote: »
    That's all well and fine but will they actually be able to stick to it? A lot of empty promises have been made over the past 12 months, I won't be putting much faith in anything a politician says re. ending lockdowns and restrictions.

What will be will be at this stage.
    Boris, in particular, has been full of it. UK politicians need to prove they can get something right! Our lot are a bit more reliable and much less inclined to make wild promises.

titan18 wrote: »
    Oh I know, they give him an allowance and just told him to go home the first time. So scenario here of i've got childcare/tending a grave etc, guards will allow you I'd imagine without any proof, but if they find you later and you're not doing that, that's when you're screwed

“Screwed” is a pretty strong word. I’d happily risk €100 for a day at the beach right now

Valid reasons in your opinion. Not valid if there is no proof of them being genuine. As for your suggestion in bold: Greati idea. I might just do that.

I see you edited your post after I responded. The essential reasons to travel are not my opinion they are government policy available to read on the gov.ie website.
    What type of disingenuous behaviour are you engaging in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

is_that_so wrote: »
    Boris, in particular, has been full of it. UK politicians need to prove they can get something right! Our lot are a bit more reliable and much less inclined to make wild promises.

Speaking of which.... with the 3 month delay between dose one and two in the UK.... is there any research into how this may result in new strains that will be more resistent to the vaccine?

So can you highlight these creative excuses you claimed I was suggesting or are you just making up stuff to suit your agenda?
    When you're ready please.

I already answered this question and have no intention of repeating myself. Read my reply to you again.

I already answered this question and have no intention of repeating myself. Read my reply to you again.

You didn't answer my question, you claimed I was engaged in suggesting creative excuses, so once more what are they?
    Your silence will suggest you know you were caught out in a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mloc123 wrote: »
    Speaking of which.... with the 3 month delay between dose one and two in the UK.... is there any research into how this may result in new strains that will be more resistent to the vaccine?
    They won't know until some emerge and there have been no new reports. Up to 12 weeks is fine for AZ but it was not tested with the others.

“Screwed” is a pretty strong word. I’d happily risk €100 for a day at the beach right now

Tbf, the 100 euro is one thing, guards seeing it as you someone willing to lie to them is another. They could easily remember that some day you're in bigger trouble. Whatever on the fine which i could pay if i really needed to, i wouldn't be bothered lying to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

You'd think someone called Kunta Kinte would be aware that sometimes, the law isn't all it's cracked up to be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

my GP is closing its doors for consultations because it will be just doing vacs so another door closes for routine checkups suggest I go to a hospital for bloods the centre of transmission for covid, had a sister picked it up in a hospital recently, would safer in an airport anyway leaving this kip soon will get it done abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement