Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

You didn't answer my question, you claimed I was engaged in suggesting creative excuses, so once more what are they?
    Your silence will suggest you know you were caught out in a lie.

My last post on this issue. There was no lie. You seem to be fixated on the word "excuses". What you claim is a valid reason for not obeying the travel restrictions is in my opinion just an excuse without any accompanying proof. This discussion ends now as far as I`m concerned. Don`t waste your time posting further as I will not be responding to you on this topic after this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My last post on this issue. There was no lie. You seem to be fixated on the word "excuses". What you claim is a valid reason for not obeying the travel restrictions is in my opinion just an excuse without any accompanying proof. This discussion ends now as far as I`m concerned. Don`t waste your time posting further as I will not be responding to you on this topic after this post.
    You said I was engaged in suggesting creative excuses, which is a lie as valid reasons are given on gov.ie which I referenced. If you're happy to be shown up to be a liar so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Plumbthedepths, Kunta Kinte - put each other on ignore. No more exchanges between you two in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Nermal wrote: »
    You'd think someone called Kunta Kinte would be aware that sometimes, the law isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Not sure what you`re getting at there but for what it`s worth, in the time period that my username Roots character lived in, slavery was completely within the existing laws of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Sunday: 752 Swabs, 5.22% + Rate
    Today: 645 Swabs, 5.63% + Rate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sunday 14th - 752 swabs from 14,400 tests
    Monday 15th - 645 swabs from 11,452 tests

917 confirmed hospital cases
    157 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

You love to see it
    Sunday 14th - 752 swabs from 14,400 tests
    Monday 15th - 645 swabs from 11,452 tests

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yesterday - 752 postive swabs, 5.22%
    Today - 645 positive swabs, 5.63%

7-day has dropped two days in a row now, thankfully. Down to 5.48%

Good to see positive numbers down after slightly worrying trends last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

After a 800 - 1,000 week last week will this be a 650 to 950 one?

Baby steps....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

But but the plateau! Oh well, never mind there'll be another one along on Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

917 confirmed hospital cases
    157 in ICU.
    Great to see ICU heading for 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stephen Donnelly from Greystones has got a vaccination centre in Greystones! Now there's a surprise!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Great to see ICU heading for 150.

Chinks of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pauldry wrote: »
    After a 800 - 1,000 week last week will this be a 650 to 950 one?

Baby steps....
    Swabs and cases having been tracking quite closely recently. 7-day average positive swabs is 889 and should continue reducing.

Like you say, baby steps. I'd be surprised to see another 1,000+ day this week, but Wednesday always loves to bring surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Friend of the family due his 2nd dose next week (nurse) just confirmed positive, no symptoms. Imagine working in a covid ward since March last year and managing to avoid it until now, gah. Fingers cross he stays symptom free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Appears to be and may cause, two phrases that fill me with confidence about their understanding of this new variant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Numbers down a good bit from Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've recently moved house so was between my old property and second one. And then when my old house was fully sold i was between the 2nd house and our new house. Wife is also a HCM worker and i've dropped her into work at times when she had battery trouble, i have also dropped our child to my mams for childcare a few days each week and i've been in my office occasionally.

So in recent months i've been out a lot and hit a lot of checkpoints and had to provide a number of reasons. Most are just one Garda in the middle of the road while some are a little bit more elaborate. But not once have I had any problems. Each time I explained clearly the reason in a friendly manner and i was asked 2 or 3 questions at most. Usually what is the purpose of my journey and where i was going. Not once was i asked for proof. And if i had of been, other than my wife showing her work ID and me showing the essential letter if i was on the way to the office, how would they verify it? It's usually one Garda, is he going to ask you to pop down to the station to somehow show proof? Or maybe follow you to make sure you're doing what you said and abandon the checkpoint?

It's near impossible for them to verify some of the valid reasons for travel. I don't think a lot of Gardaí are too bothered with going out of the way to make people prove anything unless it is someone obviously taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Appears to be and may cause, two phrases that fill me with confidence about their understanding of this new variant :rolleyes:

Our average weekly case number right now is the same as it was towards the end of October (2nd wave) back then after two weeks the 7-day average went down to 410 if the same happens for March 1st then we'll have theories that this variant doesn't appear or may not be more transmissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

There's a lot of positivity here today. I'm happy for yiz, but can't say I share it.

Many countries all over Europe have plateaued at a very high positivity rate following recent outbreaks. We appear to be joining them.

543744.png

We made steadier progress last October/November with lighter restrictions.
    This to me suggests that our variant is significantly more transmissible than classic covid. Mobility data suggests the current lockdown is still well adhered to.

If we do plateau at this level it will mean the R number is about 1, and it makes the prospects of reopening sectors of our society much more daunting.

543745.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've recently moved house so was between my old property and second one. And then when my old house was fully sold i was between the 2nd house and our new house. Wife is also a HCM worker and i've dropped her into work at times when she had battery trouble, i have also dropped our child to my mams for childcare a few days each week and i've been in my office occasionally.

So in recent months i've been out a lot and hit a lot of checkpoints and had to provide a number of reasons. Most are just one Garda in the middle of the road while some are a little bit more elaborate. But not once have I had any problems. Each time I explained clearly the reason in a friendly manner and i was asked 2 or 3 questions at most. Usually what is the purpose of my journey and where i was going. Not once was i asked for proof. And if i had of been, other than my wife showing her work ID and me showing the essential letter if i was on the way to the office, how would they verify it? It's usually one Garda, is he going to ask you to pop down to the station to somehow show proof? Or maybe follow you to make sure you're doing what you said and abandon the checkpoint?

It's near impossible for them to verify some of the valid reasons for travel. I don't think a lot of Gardaí are too bothered with going out of the way to make people prove anything unless it is someone obviously taking the piss.

Just on this.

Gardai are generally very very good at spotting who is genuine, and who is a chancer.

This was always the case before Covid.

I would say they get it right 90% of the time, which is the objective.
    There is never going to be a 100% compliance, or enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

There's a lot of positivity here today. I'm happy for yiz, but can't say I share it.

Many countries all over Europe have plateaued at a very high positivity rate following recent outbreaks. We appear to be joining them.

543744.png

This to me suggests that our variant is significantly more transmissible than classic covid. Mobility data suggests the current lockdown is still well adhered to.

If we do plateau at this level it will mean the R number is about 1, and it makes the prospects of reopening sectors of our society much more daunting.

543745.png

This week compared to last week we had 1126 less cases which doesn't happen if things had plateaued.

Other than schools open can care to elaborate on these lighter restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Perhaps this is something to do with the virus getting down to household level? Like in late November when numbers plateaued around 250 per day, this time around numbers are plateauing around 1,000 per day. This could well be a case of it being that once it gets into a house, it's very hard not to spread it to the other members in that house, vs at the start of the lockdown when it goes from household to other household, that sort of transmission is much easier to break the link in with a lockdown where as a lockdown will not account for transmission within households unless there's mandatory hotel quarantine for anyone who tests positive, which logistically is very impractical given childcare requirements for many parents that may test positive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mcburns07 wrote: »

What phrase would fill you with confidence?
    This is their best understanding based on the information currently available. All indicators of note are that this variant is more transmissible. Much as we'd like to wish otherwise. It's highly unlikely at this point a picture will emerge to suggest it's not. Everyone would love if that happened. However, It's quickly become the dominant strain here - as was predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

As long as the swab numbers keep falling (they are), I wouldn't be concerned about the positivity rate plateauing. You are only referred for a test if you have symptoms or if you are close contact (positivity rate of 20%, we are told). There is very little other illness circulating at the moment so very few people with symptoms that aren't covid. We don't seem to be doing much mass testing either. All of these things are likely to keep the positivity rate high, but not an issue if case numbers keep falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Turtwig wrote: »
    What phrase would fill you with confidence?
    This is their best understanding based on the information currently available. All indicators of note are that this variant is more transmissible. Much as we'd like to wish otherwise. It's highly unlikely at this point a picture will emerge to suggest it's not. Everyone would love if that happened. However, It's quickly become the dominant strain here - as was predicted.

We have been subjected to a number of unverifiable claims over the last year. The 'British Variant' and others being more transmissible and aggressive being the latest instalment.

Knowing that a deliberate and continuous over-dramatisation is indeed happening its not an outlandish thing to think that the 'British Variant' may be part of that. Especially when I look back at how quickly Boris Johnsons came out with 70% more transmissible at a point when he had no way of knowing that.

'Appears to be' and 'may' fits right into that. Its the language scientist use when they dont want to get caught with their pants down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Well maybe you should log off for a while then. Its difficult enough to get through this bloody pandemic without misery-seeking doom merchants looking to nitpick every bit of positive information in a further attempt to wallow in bad news. Some people see to just want to drag everyone down into their own misery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement