Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not suggesting any holidays are cancelled, just brought forward. It's not like you can go anywhere anyway :)

I am joking of course. The current idea that schools might be back mid march... only to then be on 2 weeks midterm is just crazy. Stop the "home school" nonsense that we have at the moment, call it what it is... schools are closed and days can be made up later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Arduach wrote: »
    Fair enough. But we're doing that already, shutting down etc. I don't know, i'm not that invested in Covid free either tbh.

Just when I hear someone say we'll have the vulnerable vaccinated by this date and such and such, it's logical and great in theory.

But this dose is throwing curveballs all over the place. It's hard to be certain.
    As I've said elsewhere, we need to look to the data from Israel. TBH it feels like we're in the nine circles of hell at present and people are reacting to that but we'll get out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

snotboogie wrote: »
    Thailand is an isolated rock in the Pacific?

NZ. And it's 2 rocks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Thailand is an isolated rock in the Pacific?
    Post said NZ, which is! As for Thailand, not so good.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-covid-19-new-cases-daily-record-mass-testing-14043982

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they are looking at worst cases and making sure we don't imagine a vaccine immediately resets everything. It's a grim and unpleasant approach but think we're really past all the platitudes.

I think they have to consider worst cases because our approach is so repetitive and one dimensional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They have mentioned 100-200 cases a day. We should see that in March at the latest. TBH the rest of it is all very 2020! By May we'll have vaccinated all the at risk groups. We should also have full country data from Israel. Once we go down to Level 3 and below we will not be reversing tack.

Case numbers won’t matter come March because the narrative will be all about how the hospitals are still under huge pressure and we can’t risk relaxing because they wouldn’t cope with extra increases. He has basically laid the groundwork for that being the case already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

As I've said elsewhere, we need to look to the data from Israel. TBH it feels like we're in the nine circles of hell at present and people are reacting to that but we'll get out of here.

Just the data from Israel is relating to the virus strains present there when people were vaccinated.

Starting to sound like Donnelly now but hopefully when the bulk of vaccinations are done here the virus won't have mutated. Of course I'm no expert and the odds on that are long, by all accounts.

Case numbers won’t matter come March because the narrative will be all about how the hospitals are still under huge pressure and we can’t risk relaxing because they wouldn’t cope with extra increases. He has basically laid the groundwork for that being the case already
    It's always been about hospitals. I was pointing we will get to lower cases quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

the cynic in me wouldn't be too surprised that MM did not introduce Quarantine for all travel because he knows he will be on a jolly up in washington in over a month and this is hardly essential travel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Are they testing close contacts or is there a plan to resume testing them?

• Advertisement

Just the data from Israel is relating to the virus strains present there when people were vaccinated.

Starting to sound like Donnelly now but hopefully when the bulk of vaccinations are done here the virus won't have mutated. Of course I'm no expert and the odds on that are long, by all accounts.
    It's too early on Israel data yet. We should get a clearer idea in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

christ the death figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

christ the death figures

Seems strange that there was 7 yesterday and now 90 today....

Reporting being held up somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

You're right. At one point not that long ago, our covid stats were the worst in the world.

If you look at LA they had some crazy spread too, and they've now discovered a new strain there. Same as UK.

Why would the odds of a mutated strain here be long?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Below 1000 cases wow been a while

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hopefully one of the last days we'll have to witness such horrendous death numbers. RIP.

Juxtaposed with good case numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

Why bother with the numbers even anymore there's absolute no rhyme nor reason to the daily figures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Awful number of deaths, encouraging with the new cases. How many deaths has their been in January? The UK variant may indeed lead to more serious illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

It is good to see three figures.

Deaths too high, but very low yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Patd6

Wow some deaths after yest low deaths fig, had really hoped for under 5 today

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Nearly a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very sad death totals

Nice to see cases under 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes but headline is we are over 3k deaths and no mention of cases under 1k in the main headline. Miserable miserable miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

mloc123 wrote: »
    But but but... what about the teachers holidays? God forbid they would be put out at all by this whole thing

Don't know how many times it needs to be said but remote learning is much trickier to execute than in person teaching and takes a lot more time to prepare and bring to the children so despite the opinion of some teachers and students are actually doing something at the moment. It mightn't be perfect but needs must.

Also despite another commonly held belief that holidays are solely for the benefit of the teacher, holidays are catered for the children. As time goes by children's concentration levels wane and believe me near the holiday time little seems to go in and retention and behaviour levels drop. Of course some will just jabber on about lazy teachers though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am joking of course. The current idea that schools might be back mid march... only to then be on 2 weeks midterm is just crazy. Stop the "home school" nonsense that we have at the moment, call it what it is... schools are closed and days can be made up later in the year.

Unions wouldn't have it.

The line is that nobody is missing out. Everyone is flourishing.

Principals hearing every day how happy parents are with remote schooling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

nj27 wrote: »
    Nearly a month

Over a month . Xmas Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Without the north it won’t work

NPHET have looked at it and said it isn’t possible. It’s a pipe dream being pushed by those not in power

Nephet have been advocating for strict hotel quarantining since the summer though. That is something that is possible, and would hugely suppress the virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

lawred2 wrote: »
    Unions wouldn't have it.

The line is that nobody is missing out. Everyone is flourishing.

The government couldn't actually be doing the hard work to make the best laid plans with their education partners, implement better safety measures and provide the support and funding that is needed and which is actually been denied to the education sector especially sn's for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    Seems strange that there was 7 yesterday and now 90 today....

Reporting being held up somewhere.

Weekend effect. Hospital and nursing home managers work Monday to Friday 9 to 5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement