Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The 7-day moving average has almost halved in the past month from a peak near 750k to ~385k

543760.png

6 weeks into a level lockdown and it's still very prevalent in the community.

Hard to see where this strategy is going long term.

We'll be back at thousands of cases again when things open up even slightly.

The 7-day moving average has almost halved in the past month from a peak near 750k to ~385k

543760.png

Isn't this inaccurate in the sense that there was insufficient testing in March/April when there was a considerable number of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Probes wrote: »
    Where did this come from? I'm from the UK and I'd hope that I am in line for the vaccine just like everyone else. I don't think it would make sense to leave people out as such a high ceiling is required to reach herd immunity.

I wonder will they turn down the vaccine if it's the Oxford astrazeneca one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Isn't this inaccurate in the sense that there was insufficient testing in March/April when there was a considerable number of cases?

There's always missed cases. More missed cases in March April obviously.

We can also say that there was insufficient cases between December and January when there was mass testing in high risk environments and testing of close contacts was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    6 weeks into a level lockdown and it's still very prevalent in the community.

Hard to see where this strategy is going long term.

We'll be back at thousands of cases again when things open up even slightly.

Yeah strange that schools could be opening

I'd love a breakdown of where these cases are occuring 6 weeks into a national lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yeah strange that schools could be opening

I'd love a breakdown of where these cases are occuring 6 weeks into a national lockdown

Well one thing is for sure... It isn't schools... And while they were opene in October/November while we had level 5... Cases continued to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    Slide6.jpg
    Slide7.jpg
    Slide8.jpg
    Slide9.jpg
    Slide10.jpg

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Would you not have to prove residency ?

No, just an address. I’m registered with my GP at my parents’ address so that’s where a letter will go. I keep a UK credit card as well, registered at my parents’.....handy for large purchases in pounds

Could be a useful way to get a vaccine early if anyone has access to a UK address, but I think that a national insurance number is needer to make a new registration with a GP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm getting a sick feeling that this will never end.

Oranage2 wrote: »

You gotta laugh.. every other country in the world giving their citizens some hope that things will be normal after vaccine roll out. Meanwhile here we are being told even after vaccine roll out life will still be ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

To an overall extent, yes, when comparing ~11 months ago. But assuming testing has remained somewhat static over the past month then the drop during January is accurate. Obviously it's made up of every nation so when you break it down, some will be plummeting and others plauteuing, but overall, a positive sign.

No, just an address. I’m registered with my GP at my parents’ address so that’s where a letter will go. I keep a UK credit card as well, registered at my parents’.....handy for large purchases in pounds

Could be a useful way to get a vaccine early if anyone has access to a UK address, but I think that a national insurance number is needer to make a new registration with a GP

I'd imagine once the Northern mass vaccination centres start to move onto the general public, there will be a nod and a wink given to Southern people going up for their vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Strictly speaking this applies to all test data compiled on this ever. WHO thinks true number is ten times that overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Great to have any day with zero deaths however Monday deaths are under reported and Tuesdays are then over reported.

Deaths reported last 5 Mondays 0,6,10,7,8

Death reported last 4 Tuesday 68,101,90,93

With that in mind it will be no surprise if we have 40 to 60 deaths reported tomorrow.

7 day average on deaths is 40. Still far to high but down from 54 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

mloc123 wrote: »
    You gotta laugh.. every other country in the world giving their citizens some hope that things will be normal after vaccine roll out. Meanwhile here we are being told even after vaccine roll out life will still be ****.

After the gigantic **** up that was last Christmas, they're being cautious in the extreme. Unless you're gorging on the negativity in these threads, there is a way out of this. The data elsewhere suggests that as people get vaccinated, the rates go down. It's beyond frustrating that we can't get vaccinated fast enough but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Basketball fans in america are allowed back in arenas now .

Fauci saying they've turned the corner

It will be over in UK and USA by summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You still in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You still in China?

Yes, but I want to return soon and it looks like it will be 2022 at the earliest which is quite disheartening when it seems like the rest of the world are beating it quickly.

Tork wrote: »
    After the gigantic **** up that was last Christmas, they're being cautious in the extreme. Unless you're gorging on the negativity in these threads, there is a way out of this. The data elsewhere suggests that as people get vaccinated, the rates go down. It's beyond frustrating that we can't get vaccinated fast enough but that's another story.

There is being cautious and there is crushing all hope. I get why they are so negative... It is to keep people down and force them to comply. At what point is it too much and people just say **** it tho... Why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oranage2 wrote:
    Yes, but I want to return soon and it looks like it will be 2022 at the earliest

Restrictions will be relaxed at done stage, hopefully not until we get cases down to mid double digits, and then there'll be a window for you to come home. I'd imagine early April just after Easter is the likely time this happens. I think the government want to avoid opening before Easter as they don't want anything like Christmas happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes, but I want to return soon and it looks like it will be 2022 at the earliest which is quite disheartening when it seems like the rest of the world are beating it quickly.

I'd say 2025 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hopefully we can leave our 5k soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

mloc123 wrote: »
    There is being cautious and there is crushing all hope. I get why they are so negative... It is to keep people down and force them to comply. At what point is it too much and people just say **** it tho... Why bother.

Exactly

There's managing expectations and giving people no hope

My friend hasn't seen his partner since 20th of December

No way are they waiting until intercounty travel comes back to see each other again as that could be 5-6 months the way Leo & Co are spinning

Do the government actually think it's reasonable to ask couples like that to keep apart for that length of time?

There might not be anything open but people won't blindly accept ongoing restrictions either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Not until after Easter at the earliest according to government leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭prunudo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Restrictions will be relaxed at done stage, hopefully not until we get cases down to mid double digits, and then there'll be a window for you to come home. I'd imagine early April just after Easter is the likely time this happens. I think the government want to avoid opening before Easter as they don't want anything like Christmas happening again.

I can see county travel restrictions and only one household visit until after Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wow. We haven't used up half of the AZ vaccine received on Saturday Feb 6. What a laughably slow rollout. 9 days around 1k per day.

And the vaccine centers are lagging, will be 'ready as needed' per the Minister.

Imagine if 500,000 vaccines showed up on Friday. We'd end up flushing the majority of them down the loo.

Why aren't the centers ready *today*. What is delaying getting the AZ vaccines used?

The sooner we're vaccinated, the sooner we can open up with some confidence it won't be a total disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Dr. Bre wrote: »

They'll probably give us 10k after Easter as a present for being such good children

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/feb/15/uk-covid-live-next-phase-of-coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-begins-in-england

Boris saying a slow release of restrictions and no Guarentee the uk wouldn't see further lockdowns.......

Sound familiar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Igotadose wrote: »
    Wow. We haven't used up half of the AZ vaccine received on Saturday Feb 6. What a laughably slow rollout. 9 days around 1k per day.

Still over 90% of vaccines in arms
    And the vaccine centers are lagging, will be 'ready as needed' per the Minister.

That doesn't mean lagging, unless you want fully staffed offices so you can complain about taxes being wasted
    Imagine if 500,000 vaccines showed up on Friday. We'd end up flushing the majority of them down the loo.

Not a shred of evidence to back that up.
    Why aren't the centers ready *today*. What is delaying getting the AZ vaccines used?

The centres that are needed are in use.
    The sooner we're vaccinated, the sooner we can open up with some confidence it won't be a total disaster.

Good thing we're getting the vaccines in arms with maximum efficiency and absolute minimum waste then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement