Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Igotadose wrote: »
    The UK took the decision to ensure no one has to travel more than 10 miles for a vaccine. What's the basis of the planning for the paltry few Irish centers?

I bet if you go to the highlands in Scotland there is someone who is more than 10 miles from a vaccination center. This is a clue to the answer to your question, see if you can now figure it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Have always gotten confused when busy hospitals are given as a reason to lock down here.

I must have dreamt every winter when hundreds of people were on trolleys in corridors

I bet if you go to the highlands in Scotland there is someone who is more than 10 miles from a vaccination center. This is a clue to the answer to your question, see if you can now figure it out yourself.

In fact, Scotland is using mobile vaccination centres for remote Highland areas.
    MattS1 wrote: »
    IF everyone is vaccinated by September ( being optimistic ), is it not the end of this thing then? How would it spread or affect our population?

As soon as everyone gets vaccinated, the goalposts will be shifted again.

The Government has reneged on every single milestone for reopening and there is no reason to believe that a Taoiseach who will never have to face the electorate again will suddenly become any less authoritarian that he has hitherto been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

big syke wrote: »
    In fairness we constantly are close to capacity almost 90% so well above 100 is normal.

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/noca-uploads/general/Irish_National_ICU_Audit_Annual_Report_2018_FINAL.pdf

Did you just try to make a point with a 156 page pdf?

What was your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Have always gotten confused when busy hospitals are given as a reason to lock down here.

I must have dreamt every winter when hundreds of people were on trolleys in corridors
    Because we don't want that to become hundreds of people on trolleys in the hospital car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

theballz wrote: »
    The health service is less over run? Where are you reading this?

It is not normal for the state to have over 100 people in ICU. Right now we have 158 confirmed cases.

You are miles off.

Is it not..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

You need to change your username with a silly statement like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You can't have covid positive people on corridors without spreading the virus even more.

We never need the type of mass cancellations of routine health care we have at the moment. We do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

big syke wrote: »
    In fairness we constantly are close to capacity almost 90% so well above 100 is normal.

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/noca-uploads/general/Irish_National_ICU_Audit_Annual_Report_2018_FINAL.pdf

These people in icu are in addition to normal icu.

In a normal time I'd imagine about half our icu capacity is taken up looking after people who underwent a serious "elective" procedure that had complications or that has icu time as a part of the recovery plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Storm 10 wrote: »

It is interesting to look at the overall worldwide cases now... they have been falling steadily since January. Europe is in lockdown, but nothing has changed in the US and they are falling also.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Mmmm its almost as if it is seasonal/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is a bit like saying that I don't know why they sorry about a metre of snow when it is cold every winter. What is the point of such a comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Mmmm its almost as if it is seasonal/

There must be no pandemic in South America at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is interesting to look at the overall worldwide cases now... they have been falling steadily since January. Europe is in lockdown, but nothing has changed in the US and they are falling also.

A month ago, no one I knew from the US (US expat myself) had been vaccinated. Now, a lot of people I know have received at least the first dose if not second. So the vaccine is getting out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That is not true. The under 65’s do not account for 50% of hospitalisations.

Poster is not wrong. Hospital figures have been averaging 50% of all of covid related hospitalisations being under 64 and approx 50% over 65 wth some small variations

From most recent report on Hospitalisation by age current figures show:

51.29% over 65

48.62 under 64

So yeah pretty much what the poster detailed

https://i.imgflip.com/4y7wwc.jpg

See column on cases hospitalised (%)

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Storm 10 wrote: »

The only thing that can be concluded from that article is that nobody has the foggiest idea why the infection rate has declined so dramatically in India.
    All the experts have their theories but the truth is they are only guessing. This is also true everywhere else; it’s purely a guessing game.
    It’s fortunate for the experts reputations that variants of the virus have come along; when they make predictions that turn out to be false, they can blame it on the variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HereinBray

b0nk1e wrote: »
    In fact, Scotland is using mobile vaccination centres for remote Highland areas.

As soon as everyone gets vaccinated, the goalposts will be shifted again.

The Government has reneged on every single milestone for reopening and there is no reason to believe that a Taoiseach who will never have to face the electorate again will suddenly become any less authoritarian that he has hitherto been.

Can I ask why you keep stating the phrase in bold please?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

HereinBray wrote: »
    Can I ask why you keep stating the phrase in bold please?
    There's a cohort of people who believe this is all a precursor to a neverending state of emergency and the replacement of all democracy in Europe with dictatorships.

Batsh1t crazy nonsense, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Did you just try to make a point with a 156 page pdf?

What was your point?

My point was "In fairness we constantly are close to capacity almost 90% so well above 100 is normal"

The PDF was what some people call proof/back up. Do large documents offend you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

gozunda wrote: »
    Poster is not wrong. Hospital figures have been averaging 50% of all of covid related hospitalisations being under 64 and approx 50% over 65 wth some small variations

From most recent report on Hospitalisation by age current figures show:

51.29% over 65

48.62 under 64

So yeah pretty much what the poster detailed

https://i.imgflip.com/4y7wwc.jpg

See column on cases hospitalised (%)

Source

What's relevant is how many of those under 65 have medical conditions which are risk factors for severe covid because that group are prioritised for vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Igotadose wrote: »
    A month ago, no one I knew from the US (US expat myself) had been vaccinated. Now, a lot of people I know have received at least the first dose if not second. So the vaccine is getting out there.

They have ~40-50 million doses done... but not enough (people and time) to account for the drop in cases

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

seamus wrote: »
    There's a cohort of people who believe this is all a precursor to a neverending state of emergency and the replacement of all democracy in Europe with dictatorships.

Tbf, Martin would also be 64 by the time of the next election (assuming no government collapse) and seems fairly unlikely to be leading FF into it at this stage so good chance, he's retiring after his term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

India is genuinely hard to explain. The US far less so.
    Some states are under heavy restrictions, others not so much. Collectively though their behaviour is less risky than it has been since the early months of the pandemic.

My theory on the cases falling globally is that it's not caused by anything to do with the virus itself, but on a massive shared event - Christmas.
    Some countries such as Germany locked down in anticipation of it. Others, as we're all too aware, had a large spike and locked down afterwards.

543816.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most areas in the US still have restrictions of some kind in place. These will all eventually have an effect even when the virus is rampant.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are now 3 and 2 months out, people are mixing less - both naturally and because of restrictions - so numbers are dropping. It's really that simple.

It's also known that the virus will eventually "burn out" like the 1917 'flu did, but I think it would be folly to suggest the same is occurring here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A survey of researchers by Nature about the future of COVID. They seem to be veering towards endemic but more like other coronaviruses
    far less of a risk.
    In January, Nature asked more than 100 immunologists, infectious-disease researchers and virologists working on the coronavirus whether it could be eradicated. Almost 90% of respondents think that the coronavirus will become endemic — meaning that it will continue to circulate in pockets of the global population for years to come

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

That is batsh1t, a part driver of that fear is erosion of basic freedoms and civil liberties, leaders and politicians won't say when it will end. Those promoting the theories can validly point to the restrictions. Medical authorities and 'experts' in the media talking about masks until 2022, Christmas cancelled again, masks forever, no foreign travel for 'the foreseeable future'

Some that don't believe the theories want the theorists to believe and cause mayhem because it's one of the few ways to react and vent anger. Also more sinister, when you remove the right to associate, prevent civil disobedience or demonstrate then anger will surface in other ways eventually, at a micro level we have for instance domestic violence even though it's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's also known that the virus will eventually "burn out" like the 1917 'flu did, but I think it would be folly to suggest the same is occurring here.

This is not known. Some illnesses burnout others do not. It's incredibly difficult to predict which way covid would go. Especially when you have more global mobility than ever before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

OwenM wrote: »
    What's relevant is how many of those under 65 have medical conditions which are risk factors for severe covid because that group are prioritised for vaccination.

The figures detailed are the current age profile for covid related hospital admissions.

Those getting the vaccines are health care workers and those aged over 85 atm.

Those under 65 have medical conditions which are risk factors fall into group 7 out of the14 allocated groups. They're not going to be getting the vaccine for some time based on the current schedule

https://i.imgflip.com/4y7zn0.jpg

Source

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement