Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Eod100 wrote: »

Yes this is the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Eod100 wrote: »

The sooner the better

You'd hope for no delays in authorizing that vaccine as it's badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The sooner the better

You'd hope for no delays in authorizing that vaccine as it's badly needed

I don't think there will be supply available until April in EU, so it should be approved in plenty of time for supplies to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think there will be supply available until April in EU, so it should be approved in plenty of time for supplies to arrive.
    Story here from January saying possibly from April 1.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-eu-johnson-idUSKBN29I1EM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to The Irish Times, Micheál Martin said that the UK variant of the virus meant that it's not safe enough to let hairdressers resume business.

If the customer wears a mask and the hairdresser wears a mask and a visor then how can infection occur? The precautionary measures either work or they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

According to The Irish Times, Micheál Martin said that the UK variant of the virus meant that it's not safe enough to let hairdressers resume business.

If the customer wears a mask and the hairdresser wears a mask and a visor then how can infection occur? The precautionary measures either work or they don't.

They mitigate risk not eliminate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The UK variant is an easy excuse for Martin to roll out each time...

But safe for schools to go BACK?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    The UK variant is an easy excuse for Martin to roll out each time...
    I'd give that answer every time the hairdresser question came up!

These threads go in circles...

Like always, it is about prioritising things that are important to society. People can live without haircuts for a few months.. it is more important that kids are educated, houses are built etc...

You trade off one for the other.

They will be re-opened on a phased basis. By the way, there is greater distance between teacher and pupil and among pupils than there is between a customer and a hairdresser.

Just a convenient excuse for Martin

Last year we were amongst the slowest in Europe to reopen hairdressers

They were amongst the first to open in places like Denmark in April yet ours weren't open until 29th of June

Nothing has changed in relation to Tony & NPHET being against hairdressers unfortunately

It will prob be June again the way things are going

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Nothing has changed in relation to Tony & NPHET being against hairdressers unfortunately

Nothing to do with Martin, Donelly and Hollohan all being bald :pac:

These threads go in circles...

Like always, it is about prioritising things that are important to society. People can live without haircuts for a few months.. it is more important that kids are educated, houses are built etc...

You trade off one for the other.

What happens with regard to school rules about ensuring that hair is kept short? What happens with regard to those people who have jobs for which haircuts are essential, i.e. policing, military?

What happens with regard to school rules about ensuring that hair is kept short? What happens with regard to those people who have jobs for which haircuts are essential, i.e. policing, military?

Buy a hair trimmer...

But in reality.. I am sure most places are accomadating in this "new normal"

Buy a hair trimmer...

But electrical goods shops are closed.

Buy a hair trimmer...

Like Leo was joking about

Boots is not!

• Advertisement

They are not :) They are considered an essential shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

They will struggle to get the numbers to where they want them to be.

People are immensely fatigued by lockdowns and people are less likely to abide by restrictions as the weeks go by with us remaining in level 5.

The relentlessly negative messaging from government is going to lead to more nihilistic behaviours.

People are aware that Covid is not as dangerous as people thought it might be when the images from Italy were released.

Little surprise to see clusters among students reported today, I expect we will see more of that as the weeks go by and young people start ignoring restrictions more.

Us getting case numbers down to what they were last Summer is unlikely.

As more elderly and vulnerable become vaccinated people will take their chances more and more. The finger wagging from Tony and NPHET is not going to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

950 less positive swabs this week compared to last. 5.5% the 7 day positivity rate, last Tuesday it was 5.9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They will be re-opened on a phased basis. By the way, there is greater distance between teacher and pupil and among pupils than there is between a customer and a hairdresser.

And education is far more vital than a hair cut . They need to prioritise now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And education is far more vital than a hair cut . They need to prioritise now

Indeed. We really need to reopen the schools and their normal operation cannot be put at risk again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the rule is regarding 'bubbles'?

My dad lives 20km away and lives alone. I've not formed a bubble with anyone else and would like to go and see him.

Is this allowed? Can't believe I am typing this :(

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

My dad lives 20km away and lives alone. I've not formed a bubble with anyone else and would like to go and see him.

Yes it is. Assuming he is not in a household bubble with someone else. I have visited my mother on a number of occasions since level 5 started and she is 2 hours away in a different county

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hi all

I would consider that caring needs as well. People can’t be expected to be isolated for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Hi all

100pc! You can go every hour, don't be worrying about cases like this. I'd keep distance etc and use a mask though at the house unless you have been isolating too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes it is. Assuming he is not in a household bubble with someone else. I have visited my mother on a number of occasions since level 5 started and she is 2 hours away in a different county
    fits wrote: »
    I would consider that caring needs as well. People can’t be expected to be isolated for so long.
    MattS1 wrote: »
    100pc! You can go every hour, don't be worrying about cases like this. I'd keep distance etc and use a mask though at the house unless you have been isolating too.

Thanks all. Yeah he has no bubble with anyone else either. Has met my brothers for socially distant walks but they are within the 5km and I'm not.

I've been isolating with the exception of doing food shopping once a fortnight, but I'd still wear a mask as he is in the vulnerable category.

Thanks everyone - will go to see him this week so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement