Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the rule is regarding 'bubbles'?

My dad lives 20km away and lives alone. I've not formed a bubble with anyone else and would like to go and see him.

Is this allowed? Can't believe I am typing this :(

Go.

Even if it were not permitted (which I think it is anyway) I would not be stopping myself from seeing him, when there is a crowd of teenagers on the street and families and friends on my estate going in and out of each others houses all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

Go.

Even if it were not permitted (which I think it is anyway) I would not be stopping myself from seeing him, when there is a crowd of teenagers on the street and families and friends on my estate going in and out of each others houses all the time.

It’s not even that but it’s really important for everyone and particular older people to have social contacts. A family member of mine cocooned last spring and ended up in hospital with anxiety causing physical symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

Hi all

My dad lives 20km away and lives alone. I've not formed a bubble with anyone else and would like to go and see him.

Who or what will stop you? Can you explain what you think might happen? I'm in a bubble with my parents who live in an adjoining county. I have yet to have any problems from the gardaí when they stop me at checkpoints. When asked, I tell them that I'm doing some shopping for them (which is true) and I get waved on. They don't know me or my parents from Adam so I could be making up lies for all anyone knows. Nobody else I know is leaving their parents isolated either. It might be something your peers just haven't said out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Tork wrote: »
    Who or what will stop you? Can you explain what you think might happen? I'm in a bubble with my parents who live in an adjoining county. I have yet to have any problems from the gardaí when they stop me at checkpoints. When asked, I tell them that I'm doing some shopping for them (which is true) and I get waved on. They don't know me or my parents from Adam so I could be making up lies for all anyone knows. Nobody else I know is leaving their parents isolated either. It might be something your peers just haven't said out loud.

I just wasn't sure if it was allowed and I didn't want to get a fine and turned back for my troubles if it's not allowed. People were going running in a park that is located 1km outside of our 5k radius and they were fined and sent home. I know that's not the same as going to see my dad, but I'm just not sure what you can and can't do anymore. I was very good at keeping on top of the restrictions at the beginning, but I genuinely can't keep track anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

744 cases 33 deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭brickster69

Great work Ireland. Looks like this bloody lock down is showing some results. It goes up really fast but takes a fair while to come down.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

paulie21 wrote: »
    744 cases 33 deaths

Good drop on reported deaths from the previous 4 Tuesdays. 68,101,90 and 93

7-day average in cases 889 compared to last Tuesday 945.

Tomorrow could be the first Wednesday to not have over 1000 cases since December 23rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

BlowHard wrote: »
    Very high deaths again and overall numbers not going down fast enough.

Half the deaths of the previous Tuesday shows the massive progress that is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Very high deaths again and overall numbers not going down fast enough.

Numbers are going down fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Tomorrow could be the first Wednesday to not have over 1000 cases since December 23rd?

Well thats a jinx if ever I heard one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I mean on the one hand those are terrible numbers, but I'm very happy to see them......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Hi all

Travel restrictions

Domestic

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

You can travel for the following reasons:

travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    teachers, SNAs and other school staff will be allowed to travel to school to facilitate distance learning
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    travel to attend disability day services
    travel to attend a court
    for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, but excluding social family visits
    for food shopping
    for farming purposes (food production or care of animals)
    to attend a wedding or funeral
    to visit a grave

What a support bubble is

To support those who risk isolation, you can form a bubble with 1 other household (of any size) in certain situations.

You can then act as one extended household.

You must still keep physical distance from people outside your support bubble.

Who can form a support bubble

You can form a support bubble with another household if you:
    are living alone with children under the age of 18
    live alone
    share parenting or custody arrangements
    live with an adult you provide care for (for example a dependent adult relation or a partner with dementia)
    live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you, including a live-in carer

Wherever possible, you should choose a household in your locality to form your support bubble. The reason for this is to prevent the spread of COVID-19 between areas that might have lots of cases and areas that have low numbers of cases.

Thats the guidance from the government up to yourself if you want to follow it.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not great really. At a decline of 55 per week (assuming we can keep that up as cases lower) it would take us over 14 weeks more to get under 100 cases per day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Lovely afternoon in St Annes park here in D5.
    Great to see kids playing on the pitches again and enjoying themselves. Hurling, soccer and in the distance some lad with a rugby ball.
    Think he might have been an Irish international as he was practising all of Irelands preplanned attack moves .... kicking the ball in the air and running after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

robbiezero wrote: »
    Lovely afternoon in St Annes park here in D5.
    Great to see kids playing on the pitches again and enjoying themselves. Hurling, soccer and in the distance some lad with a rugby ball.
    Think he might have been an Irish international as he was practising all of Irelands preplanned attack moves .... kicking the ball in the air and running after it.

Distancing rugby will never catch on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

gozunda wrote: »
    Poster is not wrong. Hospital figures have been averaging 50% of all of covid related hospitalisations being under 64 and approx 50% over 65 wth some small variations

From most recent report on Hospitalisation by age current figures show:

51.29% over 65

48.62 under 64

So yeah pretty much what the poster detailed

https://i.imgflip.com/4y7wwc.jpg

See column on cases hospitalised (%)

Source

Full data since last March is 55% over 65 and 45% under 65. That is not 50%. If it was 50% then the UK would still be in the EU. In better weather with risks reduced by 90% (older and vulnerable vaccinated) then the health service will manage and that is with indoor hospitality closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hi all

Yes, I'm bubbled with someone 15km away. We checked it out and it's all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Full data since last March is 55% over 65 and 45% under 65. That is not 50%. If it was 50% then the UK would still be in the EU. In better weather with risks reduced by 90% (older and vulnerable vaccinated) then the health service will manage and that is with indoor hospitality closed.

~50% is the most recent report (past 2 weeks), you can pick and choose what ever figure you like, but you stated once all 65+ are vaccinated the hospitals would cope. Now you're changing the goal posts and saying 65+ and vulnerable (18-64) vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Absolutely disgusting comment about the deaths. This place is as bad as Twitter

Did you report it?
    And no, it is definitely not as bad as Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And in other news, the Johnson & Johnson single dose vaccine in their trial provided 85% protection against severe illness and 100% protection against hospitalization and death from Covid. That's something to cheer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Steve012 wrote: »
    Gleefully, about Deaths? you for real man?!? ... 🙄

Probably. Some really nasty people about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Kivaro wrote: »
    And in other news, the Johnson & Johnson single dose vaccine in their trial provided 85% protection against severe illness and 100% protection against hospitalization and death from Covid. That's something to cheer.

Possible approval mid March according to the EMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

If J and J was a rolling review and all the data is now submitted why mid March for approval ? Seems a long time compared to other approvals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Come off it! That's a bizarre comment.

I took it as a thrust of black humour- I think we can safely take it that no one rejoices in hearing about C19 deaths or thinks anyone else does. Surely that's a bedrock assumption.
    I'm not averse to a blast of BH myself- strangely I find it can work when one is confronted by a dire situation.
    I fully appreciate though that it's not everyone's cup of cocoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

boardise wrote: »
    I took it as a thrust of black humour- I think we can safely take it that no one rejoices in hearing about C19 deaths or thinks anyone else does. Surely that's a bedrock assumption.
    I'm not averse to a blast of BH myself- strangely I find it can work when one is confronted by a dire situation.
    I fully appreciate though that it's not everyone's cup of cocoa.
    Like when Trump was just being sarcastic when he said maybe people should inject bleach.

According to The Irish Times, Micheál Martin said that the UK variant of the virus meant that it's not safe enough to let hairdressers resume business.

If the customer wears a mask and the hairdresser wears a mask and a visor then how can infection occur? The precautionary measures either work or they don't.

Don't forget that we're trying to understand the thought processes of a man who thinks that a solo jog 5001 metres from one's front door is a despicable crime against the peoples' health which must be punished by potential imprisonment, whilst simultaneously demanding to be allowed to go on a 10,878 km round trip to visit an elderly stranger who will move into his eighth decade later this year (to the extent he was prepared to take a scarce jab from an old or vulnerable person to facilitate his trip), and was only stopped by a firm withdrawal of his invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I haven't had time to read back on this thread to see if this has already been mentioned, so forgive if I'm re-hashing an old hat.

Three numbers that are quite significant:
    75, 65 and 56

The latest ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) report states these numbers in a rather worrying context.

% of all Irish cases are now related to the so called "British variant"

% is the factor by which this variant may be more deadly than the original virus

% is the factor by which this variant is more transmissible than the original virus

These figures might explain why our numbers aren't really going down all that much and why there is little official momentum for any easing of restrictions.
    The good news is that these figures aren't exact and cast in stone yet, the bad news is that they aren't completely made up either.

read up on the report in lower section of this article:

independent.ie/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-821-new-cases-and-no-further-deaths-as-dominant-uk-variant-may-have-higher-death-rate-ecdc-report-suggests-40094787.html

EDITed to ad a link to the actual report:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-covid-19-14th-update-15-feb-2021.pdf

Wolf359f wrote: »
    ~50% is the most recent report (past 2 weeks), you can pick and choose what ever figure you like, but you stated once all 65+ are vaccinated the hospitals would cope. Now you're changing the goal posts and saying 65+ and vulnerable (18-64) vaccinated.

I think a figure that dates back to last March (11 months) is fairly robust. I have a series of posts here in which I have supported the current restrictions and think they are needed for some time to come, but also think we need to gradually re open and we will be ok as most vulnerable will be protected.

That is not true. The under 65’s do not account for 50% of hospitalisations.

This is what I said. And I am right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭prunudo

I just wasn't sure if it was allowed and I didn't want to get a fine and turned back for my troubles if it's not allowed. People were going running in a park that is located 1km outside of our 5k radius and they were fined and sent home. I know that's not the same as going to see my dad, but I'm just not sure what you can and can't do anymore. I was very good at keeping on top of the restrictions at the beginning, but I genuinely can't keep track anymore.

Glad to see you're going to visit him. It would want to be a bad cop to argue with you once you explained the situation.

But have to say its a terrible indictment of the government that we have citizens who are so unsure and flustered by the rules that they are terrified of being fined, so much so that they won't visit one of their parents who lives alone a mere 20km away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement