Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Don't know how many times it needs to be said but remote learning is much trickier to execute than in person teaching and takes a lot more time to prepare and bring to the children so despite the opinion of some teachers and students are actually doing something at the moment. It mightn't be perfect but needs must.

Also despite another commonly held belief that holidays are solely for the benefit of the teacher, holidays are catered for the children. As time goes by children's concentration levels wane and believe me near the holiday time little seems to go in and retention and behaviour levels drop. Of course some will just jabber on about lazy teachers though

I am not saying the teachers are not doing anything, I understand they are... but the current setup is not working for anyone. So why are we carrying on the charade? Just officially close the schools now and make up the time later in the year... do we REALLY need an easter mid term if they are open before April?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nephet have been advocating for strict hotel quarantining since the summer though. That is something that is possible, and would hugely suppress the virus.

I am sorry but how would this hugely suppress the virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Don't know how many times it needs to be said but remote learning is much trickier to execute than in person teaching and takes a lot more time to prepare and bring to the children so despite the opinion of some teachers and students are actually doing something at the moment. It mightn't be perfect but needs must.

Also despite another commonly held belief that holidays are solely for the benefit of the teacher, holidays are catered for the children. As time goes by children's concentration levels wane and believe me near the holiday time little seems to go in and retention and behaviour levels drop. Of course some will just jabber on about lazy teachers though

Nothing of what you wrote addresses the point that was made, which was that holidays should happen now to allow for face to face teaching later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am not saying the teachers are not doing anything, I understand they are... but the current setup is not working for anyone. So why are we carrying on the charade? Just officially close the schools now and make up the time later in the year... do we REALLY need an easter mid term if they are open before April?

It is working for a lot of people.

Both parents and children need a break from the hours of school work currently being done every day, on top of the stress of many parents trying to do their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

irishlad. wrote: »

The cases back in the first wave were under reported by thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I am sorry but how would this hugely suppress the virus?

Because people carrying the virus travelling into the country wont be able to spread it from their hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Stateofyou wrote: »

Both parents and children need a break from the hours of school work currently being done every day, on top of the stress of many parents trying to do their job.

Wait... you say it is working and then go on to outline how it is not working :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

WicklaBlaa wrote: »

I get that but there were many, many months of normal test levels as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

It would be a disaster if the children received no sort of education between now and April Would be like going back to square one when we go back. I know remote learning is in no way perfect but at least it keeps the children that are engaged ticking over. Primary School students are going to be in school until the very end of June. Would be a bit ****ty in this ****tiest of years to have them work through the summer months as well when restrictions might be eased and the weather might be better for them.... In a perfect world I would agree with you but working through holidays like this would cause more problems for parents/students/teachers for the benefit of noone to be perfectly honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

irishlad. wrote: »
    That puts the mortality rate at round about 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

WicklaBlaa wrote: »

Yep. The ones in the third wave have been heavily underreported too.

Still, the contrast is pretty clear. This most recent wave was bloody significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

But they've only been doing it for at most 3 weeks, why do they need a break already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭gipi

Gael23 wrote: »
    Weekend effect. Hospital and nursing home managers work Monday to Friday 9 to 5

Hospital and nursing home staff have no role in registering deaths. Deaths are registered by the family of the deceased, and they have 3 months to do so. That's why the numbers fluctuate so much, it all depends on when the family register the death ( now done online, I understand, it was done in person at HSE offices so was a Monday to Friday event).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

First time to get under 1000 reported cases this year.
    Seven day average is 1865 cases per day it was 3046 last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

gipi wrote: »
    Hospital and nursing home staff have no role in registering deaths. Deaths are registered by the family of the deceased, and they have 3 months to do so. That's why the numbers fluctuate so much, it all depends on when the family register the death ( now done online, I understand, it was done in person at HSE offices so was a Monday to Friday event).

Do Covid deaths not get reported by professionals as a public health matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    the cynic in me wouldn't be too surprised that MM did not introduce Quarantine for all travel because he knows he will be on a jolly up in washington in over a month and this is hardly essential travel:)

Surely that rubbish isn't happening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

polesheep wrote: »
    Nothing of what you wrote addresses the point that was made, which was that holidays should happen now to allow for face to face teaching later.
    So you are suggesting working what? March through to July for Primary School kids without a meaningful break? That is a complete waste of time as children will have zoned out by the end of April and would do much more damage than what is happening at the moment. Just in case your wondering myself like most other teachers want to get back to school ASAP. I will be happy and raring to go whenever the call is made

Wait... you say it is working and then go on to outline how it is not working :confused:

Unless you are on your holiday's, life is stress. I didn't say it isn't without stress. Children going to school is stress too. Tests/exams, making lunches, getting everyone going on time with clean uniforms, handling tears and problems at school, homework (NIGHTMARE) so you're going nowhere with that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

is_that_so wrote: »
    That puts the mortality rate at round about 1%.

I wouldn’t be pronouncing anything about death rates yet. A lot to come still in next couple of weeks unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surely they'll need to start testing close contacts again soon? The pressure on testers has got to have eased significantly inside the last couple of weeks??

But they've only been doing it for at most 3 weeks, why do they need a break already?

On top of the previous 3 months put in at school, and homework every evening. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fits wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be pronouncing anything about death rates yet. A lot to come still in next couple of weeks unfortunately.
    It's still a much lower rate than back in March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

On top of the previous 3 months put in at school, and homework every evening. :rolleyes:

Generations of families have coped just fine with months of school interspersed with holidays, what's so special about you that you deserve a break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

fits wrote: »

Thousands of cases are not reported - The death rate is probably much less than 1%.

Now with close contacts not being tested we are missing out on asymptomatic cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

First time to get under 1000 reported this year.
    Seven day average is 1865 cases per day it was 3046 last Tuesday.

And the RTE headline today is " Ireland's Covid-19 death toll passes 3,000" . Line 10 of the article before today's cases are reported.

While getting below 1000 cases per day is nothing to cheer about it is because of the collective effort of the population and a bit of recognition of the effort with a less negative headline would not hurt the nations psyche.

RTE's unrelenting doom and gloom reporting of this pandemic is giving me a pain in the rear. We all know it's bad. If I wanted misery I'd watch the late late show on a friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Realistically its been here a while, thousands of variants & mutations in Europe, this is no different. Can't be a surprise to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Do you remember the discussion a while back when a doctor dared voice an opinion on the surge plans and he got accused of self promotion etc. Fairly heated debate if I recall. Some speculated that he'd be reprimanded for pissing inside the tent. Looks like he has been silenced anyway......

He is/ probably was a top doctor in tallaght hospital

https://twitter.com/kenfoxe/status/1354066544599445504?s=20

• Advertisement

Generations of families have coped just fine with months of school interspersed with holidays, what's so special about you that you deserve a break?

I must have missed the part where previous generations of families had both parents with full time jobs and growing cohort of single parent families.

Yeah, people cope just fine with interspersed holidays, so the whole point is to not do away with them.

What do you mean what's special about me, I'm a working parent same as anyone else doing both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement