Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Hundreds - possibly thousands - of millions of euro were sent out of the country on Amazon and similar serviced in the three months of our "six week lockdown".

There was absolutely nothing stopping Irish stores, owned by Irish people, having a one-in, one-out rule, and implementing social distancing within their stores.

The utter, systematic and orchestrated destruction of our country's economy at the behest of a fanatic is going to go down in history alongside the very worst things any government of any country has ever done.

The utter hysterical and nonsensical ranting displayed by you in the bolded part of this post is going to go down in boards history as alongside the very worst over the top rubbish that has ever appeared in the existence of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

josip wrote: »
    Yes, I tried to order a WFH monitor from Elara last week.
    I had to give up after an hour and switch to Amazon whose Monitor-specific layout and way better filtering made it painless.
    Maybe there are better Irish online IT retailers than Elara.
    I dunno man. I have used Komplett for a long time but their range of stock is not what it used to be. There are other retailers again, but more expensive and less choice. My limited experience..... though I will be buying 2 laptops soon so I need to get pro at this!

The utter hysterical and nonsensical ranting displayed by you in the bolded part of this post is going to go down in boards history as alongside the very worst over the top rubbish that has ever appeared in the existence of the internet.
    Yeah, I saw some hysteria in Dun Laoire on Monday evening, I heard a screech like a Pteradactyl , looked over and some roaring and shouting commenced.
    Thought it was some lads having a row, turned out it was a guy on a bike having an episode. Screaming at a woman and 2 small kids crossing the road and having the audacity to do so about 80 metres from him and his cycle lane. Kids were practically up on the pavement across the cycle lane before he arrived. Very odd behaviour.
    A young woman was going around singing aloud and totally tunelessly an Alannis Morissete song... odd enough.
    Some other lad started shouting Sambo at me.
    The absolute shambles the government have made of this is really is taking a huge toll on people. I wonder will some people ever be OK again.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Yeah, I saw some hysteria in Dun Laoire on Monday evening, I heard a screech like a Pteradactyl , looked over and some roaring and shouting commenced.
    Thought it was some lads having a row, turned out it was a guy on a bike having an episode. Screaming at a woman and 2 small kids crossing the road and having the audacity to do so about 80 metres from him and his cycle lane. Kids were practically up on the pavement across the cycle lane before he arrived. Very odd behaviour.
    A young woman was going around singing aloud and totally tunelessly an Alannis Morissete song... odd enough.
    Some other lad started shouting Sambo at me.
    The absolute shambles the government have made of this is really is taking a huge toll on people. I wonder will some people ever be OK again.

Cool imaginary stories bro.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭techdiver

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Also nothing stopping them setting up a website and doing deliveries. plenty of businesses thrived doing just that.

This.

Even before covid it used to drive me crazy as to the piss poor online footprint of Irish Business. When compared to even small businesses in the UK which often have very functional websites that supplement their bricks and mortar stores, Irish retailers are in the stone age.

Complaints about the likes of amazon miss the fact that many people like the convenience of shopping online and having items delivered. If there is no alternative of course people will use Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

My limited experience..... though I will be buying 2 laptops soon so I need to get pro at this!
    Recommendations for where to buy from welcome - I need a new one and I generally get mine from Curry's (there's a store nearby and I like popping in to see the laptops in the flesh), but their customer service is absolutely abysmal and trying to return an item online is being made a herculean task.. wouldn't risk getting even a toaster from them now.

Cool imaginary stories bro.:cool:
    ha ha ha if it doesn't fit your narrative it's fake news. You seem to have no sympathy for people you haven't been told to have sympathy for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Varadkar spoofing on Prime Time

We need people to spend savings

On what Leo?

You're keeping everything shut down for months on end

I'll spend my savings when there are some affordable houses to buy. Not buying stuff for the sake of it even when shops reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

titan18 wrote: »
    I'll spend my savings when there are some affordable houses to buy. Not buying stuff for the sake of it even when shops reopen.

The fact Ireland is the only country across the globe that decided construction was too dangerous to open in 2021 means you will be a while waiting for an affordable house.

Record low numbers of houses available for sale in January

8000 less homes built this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The fact Ireland is the only country across the globe that decided construction was too dangerous to open in 2021 means you will be a while waiting for an affordable house.

Record low numbers of houses available for sale in January

8000 less homes built this year

Pretty much, hence I won't be spending my savings, other than maybe spending a slight bit of it on travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

aziz wrote: »
    Isn’t the drop in us cases due to a change in how the pcr test is done

What change are you referring to? There is nothing to suggest that the PCR testing approach has changed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

In the US, the virus spread to before unseen levels after the Thanksgiving, Christmas combo in November and December. It's likely just returning to a base level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

In the US, the virus spread to before unseen levels after the Thanksgiving, Christmas combo in November and December. It's likely just returning to a base level now.

Seems reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Parachutes wrote: »
    5 days turns into 2 weeks, 2 weeks into 2 months. We all know how it goes.

Just to follow up on this and reassure you and those who believed you, Melbourne and Auckland have lifted their short sharp circuit-breaker lockdowns as promised. Those crazy Antipodeans! Don't they know a dose of Covid makes you stronger? :confused:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0217/1197584-world-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this and reassure you and those who believed you, Melbourne and Auckland have lifted their short sharp circuit-breaker lockdowns as promised. Those crazy Antipodeans! Don't they know a dose of Covid makes you stronger? :confused:
    A strategy which worked for an isolated land mass of 25 million people with almost no COVID cases. Not at all comparable to a region with nearly 10% of the world's population and 44 different countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

is_that_so wrote: »
    A strategy which worked for an isolated land mass of 25 million people with almost no COVID cases. Not at all comparable to a region with nearly 10% of the world's population and 44 different countries.

Ireland isn't a region with nearly 10% of the world's population. Not sure what your point of comparing here is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Can lots of people swim to Ireland? And about concentration of people Australia's cities are far more densely populated than ours. 1500 per sq km in Dublin, 22,000 per sq km in Melbourne.
    I don't care what Europe does personally. That's up to them although Angela Merkel certainly agrees with the general gist of my opinion. Probably her being a scientist helps.

And the reason they have almost no covid cases...? :pac: It's like saying the reason that person is not fat is because they have no fat on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

We in Ireland can only aspire to these sort of levels.

We share a border with a uk jurisdiction.

Nz and oz have among highest % of their population living in an urban setting per capita in the world

The eu and irelands stragedy about this virus has been a utter shambles from day 1,

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I think we should try to keep levels as low as possible. Mandatory quarantine and proper contact tracing would be a good start in achieving this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ficheall wrote: »
    Recommendations for where to buy from welcome - I need a new one and I generally get mine from Curry's (there's a store nearby and I like popping in to see the laptops in the flesh), but their customer service is absolutely abysmal and trying to return an item online is being made a herculean task.. wouldn't risk getting even a toaster from them now.

Just bought one from soundstore.ie . All very painless. Munster based shops but all Island online delivery etc

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Ireland isn't a region with nearly 10% of the world's population. Not sure what your point of comparing here is.
    Having 700m people on our doorstep is the point but you knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BlowHard wrote: »
    Adapt and survive

Health is more important.

It may come as a shock but good health and a functioning economy are intertwined.

Can lots of people swim to Ireland? And about concentration of people Australia's cities are far more densely populated than ours. 1500 per sq km in Dublin, 22,000 per sq km in Melbourne.
    I don't care what Europe does personally. That's up to them although Angela Merkel certainly agrees with the general gist of my opinion. Probably her being a scientist helps.

And the reason they have almost no covid cases...? :pac: It's like saying the reason that person is not fat is because they have no fat on them :D
    And yet we have to care. You really can't ignore inconvenient facts because they don't suit your view of this.

Nz and oz have among highest % of their population living in an urban setting per capita in the world

The eu and irelands strategy about this virus has been a utter shambles from day 1,
    Why of course it has. Nothing they do is ever right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Also they have a decent enough Vaccine plan.
    Health Minister Greg Hunt has explained some specifics of the roll-out plan, and which vaccine will be used when.

Late-February 2021: Pfizer vaccine (80,000 doses per week available)

Early March 2021: AstraZeneca produced internationally (80,000 doses per week available)

Late March 2021: AstraZeneca produced domestically (1 million doses a week available)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I have a nagging feeling we're sort of stumbling into zero-covid.

As we get more and more of the population vaccinated, the pressure will grow on the government to protect the hard work we've done.
    If we have or are nearing immunity to most or all known strains, then the idea of some new variant coming in and undoing everything will be too much to bare.
    At that point ZC makes sense not just from a public health point of view, but also an economic one. The cost and risk of going back to the beginning will be too high.

And I can see similar happening in most Western nations

BlowHard wrote: »
    Adapt and survive

Health is more important.

Fanaticism is so passé.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    Also nothing stopping them setting up a website and doing deliveries. plenty of businesses thrived doing just that.

The glib sneering by lockdown people about the destruction of Irish business really is appalling.

As we get more and more of the population vaccinated, the pressure will grow on the government to protect the hard work we've done.
    If we have or are nearing immunity to most or all known strains, then the idea of some new variant coming in and undoing everything will be too much to bare.
    At that point ZC makes sense not just from a public health point of view, but also an economic one. The cost and risk of going back to the beginning will be too high.

Well if vaccines work as expected they should have no need to. Let's not forget the primary aim of vaccines is to eliminate severe cases, hospitalisations and offer the body a level of immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Bang them a email Tony make sure those at the top know about those feelings.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement