Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Bizarre story here. Child tests negative for Covid but we are going to blame Covid for it anyway:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/our-5-year-old-is-in-icu-with-covid-linked-illness-40103698.html

Seems far more likely that an infection from the cut he got is the cause of his illness.

Yet another example of dreadful journalism.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MM said on radio a few weeks back that construction would reopen at 1000 cases per day.

We’ll be at 400-600 by the end of the month and that’s not good enough.

????

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Bizarre story here. Child tests negative for Covid but we are going to blame Covid for it anyway:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/our-5-year-old-is-in-icu-with-covid-linked-illness-40103698.html

Seems far more likely that an infection from the cut he got is the cause of his illness.

We shouldn’t really be too surprised from a rag like the Independent but that’s shocking even for them. Ramping up the fear to try and keep themselves relevant as Covid starts slowly to fade away....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

marno21 wrote: »
    MM said on radio a few weeks back that construction would reopen at 1000 cases per day.

We’ll be at 400-600 by the end of the month and that’s not good enough.

????

Moving the goal posts again?

This government always contradict each others statements

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hmmmmm
    PIMS (paediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome) has been described as a “Covid-related illness” – a rare but potentially deadly inflammatory disease in several countries.

The Royal College of Paediatrics (RCPCH) in the UK describes PIMS as “the Covid-19 linked syndrome affecting children.” It states that most children and teenagers do not become seriously ill with Covid-19 but doctors have witnessed a small number of cases that seem to be linked to the virus.

Gonna listen to the experts on this one......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The covid tests aren't completely reliable, though probably somewhat more reliable than your inspired medical diagnosis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Moving the goal posts again?

This government always contradict each others statements

There is a housing crisis in this country that is driving voters in droves to the Shinners.

The solution apparently then is to pay construction workers to sit at home and gaze at the walls.

Construction safely stayed open when we had 1200 cases per day during the last lockdown

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm

Gonna listen to the experts on this one......

Hmmm indeed. Except we have no idea what the child has been diagnosed with, other than they don't have covid. The only information in the story comes from the grandparents, who were told something by the parents, who were told something by a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yeah it's almost like they have the journalists on the zoom call lol

Three months of level 5+ and only schools returning in a gradual manner for another month until after Easter is not going to go down well with people imo

They can get to fúck with their level 5 until after Easter.

marno21 wrote: »
    There is a housing crisis in this country that is driving voters in droves to the Shinners.

The solution apparently then is to pay construction workers to sit at home and gaze at the walls.

Construction safely stayed open when we had 1200 cases per day during the last lockdown

100%

It's a terrible look for the government if they can't bring construction back in March

Madness from them and an open goal for SF in the future

• Advertisement

They can get to fúck with their level 5 until after Easter.

Thats seems to be the master plan alright

Over 4 months of level 5+

They're doing a great job of losing people's compliance with restrictions the further this goes on

Ficheall wrote: »
    The covid tests aren't completely reliable, though probably somewhat more reliable than your inspired medical diagnosis.

I'd be more inclined to give the story some credence if it wasn't based on 4th hand information.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The delaying of the reopening of construction into April will push the reopening of non essential retail into May. That’s another 3.5 months of this misery. Absolutely ridiculous the constant moving of goalposts and toying with people’s minds and hopes so casually. There’s no reason why construction can’t reopen as soon as possible. It never should have closed in the first place, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Is there much construction even closed? Any tradesperson I know is working away saying they are working on essential sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

A lot of construction has been reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Thats seems to be the master plan alright

Over 4 months of level 5+

They're doing a great job of losing people's compliance with restrictions the further this goes on

Yep. Over 4 months of restrictions we were told could only last a few weeks because they're too harsh. I've been compliant to date but this is getting hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd be more inclined to give the story some credence if it wasn't based on 4th hand information.
    You seemed willing to give it credence insofar as it was saying the child didn't have covid though, right? Which I guess is a further hand away than the doctors' assessment..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The delaying of the reopening of construction into April will push the reopening of non essential retail into May. That’s another 3.5 months of this misery. Absolutely ridiculous the constant moving of goalposts and toying with people’s minds and hopes so casually. There’s no reason why construction can’t reopen as soon as possible. It never should have closed in the first place, imo.

This is what worries me, they always reopen bit by bit so any delay in one stage means we could easily be looking at heavy heavy restrictions up to the start of summer..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

AdamD wrote: »
    This is what worries me, they always reopen bit by bit so any delay in one stage means we could easily be looking at heavy heavy restrictions up to the start of summer..

Yeah, they have to take a very guarded approach; open one sector, wait and see, then maybe another etc.

Ficheall wrote: »
    You seemed willing to give it credence insofar as it was saying the child didn't have covid though, right? Which I guess is a further hand away than the doctors' assessment..

Testing negative for Covid is a somewhat more specific thing which is hard to get wrong. Information about an inflammatory syndrome which has passed through 3 parties before being reported could easily get mixed up along the way. Have you ever heard of Chinese whispers?

• Advertisement

Yep. Over 4 months of restrictions we were told could only last a few weeks because they're too harsh. I've been compliant to date but this is getting hard to take.

Basically going to be five months if they push out construction until April as nothing reopening in society until Retail in May after that

The government is going to lose an awful lot of goodwill and compliance with their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'd say the case numbers are probably really double or treble that. Now thats just my opinion in case anyone tries to bite my head off.

You're alright. WHO actually thinks its factor 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yeah, hard to see any serious reopening until daily numbers are well below 100. Christmas frightened the government. The living with Covid plan was blown out of the water. They refuse to go for zero Covid. That just leaves a long hard lockdown followed by gradual reopening followed by hard lockdown again when the numbers turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This is exactly what will happen. There will be at least 3/4 weeks between schools and construction opening, and same again with construction and retail. Another 3/4 weeks between retail and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

I forsee public compliance hitting rock bottom if it's confirmed that construction are not going back and the leaving cert is essentially cancelled. It's a complete farce.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is exactly what will happen. There will be at least 3/4 weeks between schools and construction opening, and same again with construction and retail. Another 3/4 weeks between retail and restaurants.

Its worse

Reopening of schools will be phased with reviews every 2 to 3 weeks

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362133408957280256?s=19

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362139723964289025?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭prunudo

I knew they'd be over cautious but these rumours are ridiculous.

Stheno wrote: »
    Its worse

Reopening of schools will be phased with reviews every 2 to 3 weeks

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362133408957280256?s=19

Funny Martin still going on about construction being a priority

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362140029477347328

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

prunudo wrote: »
    I knew they'd be over cautious but these rumours are ridiculous.

You're being nice saying over cautious. Call it what it is imo, they're a bunch of cowards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm giving it till end of February, then to **** with it. I'm going back meeting family and friends. Have enough of nphet running this country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement