Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stheno wrote: »

Madnesd

Surely an easy thing to amend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I have to disagree. I think they did a terrible job on their predictions. Neil Ferguson in the UK has a history of terrible predictions.

With our economy destroyed, the day will come for our health service. Would it not have been better off to let people keep paying taxes and reinvest in the health service instead of stopping people from working and diminishing tax revenue?

No difference in death rates in lockdown states versus non lockdown in the US(if anything lockdown causes more deaths)

When you lock people up, unless they are getting vitamin D supplements they will have a weakened immune system compared to if they were getting sun. For this reason I would suggest the seasons have a far great baring on virus deaths than lockdowns do.

So I would have to be more critical of the people making predictions than you appear to be.

Did you forget to mention that the "lockdown states" like New Jersey and New York that top the per capita death rates were the areas where the virus first spread in February and March of last year and when people started showing up in hospitals ill, it was not known how to treat it? This is clearly evidenced by the dates of the deaths.

The "non lockdown" states like Texas, Arizona and Florida benefited from already implementing extensive social distancing and restrictions by the time the virus hit them and also from all of the medical knowledge built up over the madness in the North East during April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They could easily change the legislation for that if they really wanted to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'd be the first to criticise the government, and have done many times on this forum, but it must be some difficult task, facing conflicting concerns in an ever changing problem; I don't envy them a bit, it's a horrible situation for them and us all to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They're trying to wind us up. That's utter nonsense.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Did you forget to mention that the "lockdown states" like New Jersey and New York that top the per capita death rates were the areas where the virus first spread in February and March of last year and when people started showing up in hospitals ill, it was not known how to treat it? This is clearly evidenced by the dates of the deaths.

The "non lockdown" states like Texas, Arizona and Florida benefited from already implementing extensive social distancing and restrictions by the time the virus hit them and also from all of the medical knowledge built up over the madness in the North East during April.

New York were hampered by Cuomo making our guys look competent tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm giving it till end of February, then to **** with it. I'm going back meeting family and friends. Have enough of nphet running this country.

You definitely should Niall. Do it safely (outdoors), but social contact is absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Let's just wait until March and see what it is officially announced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'd be the first to criticise the government, and have done many times on this forum, but it must be some difficult task, facing conflicting concerns in an ever changing problem; I don't envy them a bit, it's a horrible situation for them and us all to be in.

It is indeed

The communications though is a shambles and something that could be improved

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »

We should get it Monday isn't it. Thought they were revealing the plan then.

People would be a lot less pissed off if the government would wait until March instead of constantly leaking this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This might be a mad idea but how about the government amend the legislation underpinning that before that’s lifted. Be proactive instead of reactive which seems to be the way this government has been doing things. The government have the support of the people(kind of) but there is a tipping point.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Why wait,we know it’s going to be ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I thought this was fake so I checked his Twitter. This is a real tweet. We are truly being trolled by the establishment.

jackboy wrote: »
    I thought this was fake so I checked his Twitter. This is a real tweet. We are truly being trolled by the establishment.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362146624412282880?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Personally I don't listen to or take in the Gov announcements, nor do I watch the news either. Gave up after a month or so back in the early days.

I just keep myself informed of the headline news every couple of days or so. For me (it may be different for others), the roller coaster of high numbers, lower numbers, hospital admissions, ICU beds etc. change day by day.

Of course I want things to settle down eventually, and have great hope now that Spring is springing. And along with that I am delighted to hear that J+J might be the game changer for its ease of distribution, which is no doubt the one I will get after everyone else, you know, those far down the list for the cryogen version. LOL.

J+J just might be the Flu vaccine of the future. Here's to a normal or kind of normal life to come, but we probably have to be patient about it. Good news all the same. Ignore all the doom and gloom coming from Gov, they cannot say anything else really until we are all jabbed.

titan18 wrote: »
    We should get it Monday isn't it. Thought they were revealing the plan then.

There won't be any dates with the new plan though as they won't be tied down

It was always going to be harder to open back up. I think even the biggest critic of the government would admit that, but even still they can’t expect the country to continue like this with no end in sight. This government has done a shocking job and communicating to the country their plans so it’s not surprising that the people are getting pissed off. This can’t last indefinitely and while I know Micheal Martin is known as being a cautious person and that’s fine in some ways but it’s not good in this situation. I’m not advocating them to just open everything back up as if the pandemic is over but something in the middle is surely possible.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    There won't be any dates with the new plan though as they won't be tied down

Why can't they just say if we hit under 100 cases with less than 50 ICU, we go to L3. And set out criteria like that?

MattS1 wrote: »
    Why can't they just say if we hit under 100 cases with less than 50 ICU, we go to L3. And set out criteria like that?

That would be far too sensible.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It was always going to be harder to open back up. I think even the biggest critic of the government would admit that, but even still they can’t expect the country to continue like this with no end in sight. This government has done a shocking job and communicating to the country their plans so it’s not surprising that the people are getting pissed off. This can’t last indefinitely and while I know Micheal Martin is known as being a cautious person and that’s fine in some ways but it’s not good in this situation. I’m not advocating them to just open everything back up as the pandemic is over but something in the middle is surely possible.

Yeah, indefinite lockdown should never have been a real policy. It is inhumane.
    We failed to contain the virus, so we are now in this nevernever land.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It is indeed

The communications though is a shambles and something that could be improved

Yep it's been awful. When you consider how many PR advisors these politicians have describing it as awful is being very generous.

The contrast to me that really stood out was the last restrictions announcement press conference which was doom beyond doom. Then two days later the NPHET briefing on Thursday that despite George Lee's best question efforts was optimistic and very informative.

Not that NPHET communication doesn't have its issues either. They are however light years ahead of our political leaders. Wish the leaders spoke only when it is actually necessary to say something.

True but they won't give the criteria publicly either

Apparently they use different criteria but why not be transparent and tell us the metrics?

Yeah, indefinite lockdown should never have been a real policy. It is inhumane.
    We failed to contain the virus, so we are now in this nevernever land.

Other countries didn’t contain the virus either, but are still not in this nevernever land

It can't be a simple algorithm like that.
    It takes judgment.
    This has been said over and over again in the NPHET briefings.

Other countries didn’t contain the virus either, but are still not in this nevernever land

Like who?

Edit: Ok, sorry, I know, but we are dealing with a huge post Christmas spike that no other country has seen.

• Advertisement

Because that would lock the government into a hard and fast number that they couldn’t spin out of. I know I come across as negative but I’m not and honestly the parties in government aren’t important to me at this moment because the Healy raes could be government ministers for all I care. Once they get us through the pandemic I don’t care. But this current government are really trying their Best to make me not listen to them and I’d be someone who would stick to rules and I have but I’m sure I’m like everyone else, there’s a tipping point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement