Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You definitely should Niall. Do it safely (outdoors), but social contact is absolutely necessary.

Absolutely agree. Nicer weather this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Stheno wrote: »
    It is indeed

The communications though is a shambles and something that could be improved

The leaks need to stop. They do nothing only raise anxiety and make people panic. They just need to shut up until they’ve something official to say at a press conference. All of these “may/might/thinking about xyz” should be kept to themselves until a decision is formed. The public have enough to be fretting about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Because that would lock the government into a hard and fast number that they couldn’t spin out of. I know I come across as negative but I’m not and honestly the parties in government aren’t important to me at this moment because the Healy raes could be government ministers for all I care. Once they get us through the pandemic I don’t care. But this current government are really trying their Best to make me not listen to them and I’d be someone who would stick to rules and I have but I’m sure I’m like everyone else, there’s a tipping point.

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It can't be a simple algorithm like that.
    It takes judgment.
    This has been said over and over again in the NPHET briefings.

Why? It can definitely be done. Obviously more complex that I laid out but you get the idea.

It would encourage more buy in if people take the piss then things get closed etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The leaks need to stop. They do nothing only raise anxiety and make people panic. They just need to shut up until they’ve something official to say at a press conference. All of these “may/might/thinking about xyz” should be kept to themselves until a decision is formed. The public have enough to be fretting about

Thats the first thing that needs to stop

A clear consistent message after that would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, indefinite lockdown should never have been a real policy. It is inhumane.
    We failed to contain the virus, so we are now in this nevernever land.

Well most of Europe and America didn’t contain the virus either so we are in good company unfortunately. With hindsight I don’t think any country would have stopped the spread of the virus, but I think lots of countries could and should have contained it better past the initial wave.

I just think the Irish government have been overly cautious during the summer in reopening which led to people likely going over board but you can’t expect anyone to be locked down for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its practically impossible for a politician to shut up. They cant help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

MattS1 wrote: »
    Why? It can definitely be done. Obviously more complex that I laid out but you get the idea.

It would encourage more buy in if people take the piss then things get closed etc.

Yep. I'm sure there would be need to deviate from the algorithm at times but if that's the case, it can explained at the time. It would make things much clearer and give us something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I'd say the case numbers are probably really double or treble that. Now thats just my opinion in case anyone tries to bite my head off.

Oh completely agree, and it’s probably more than treble. But at the time, they only had smaller confirmed numbers to go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I am sick sh*t of all this constant kite flying, leaks to the press and rumours. It’s just simply not good enough and totally unprofessional.
    We have been in lockdown for 8 weeks, the cases have come down, they now need to give us a clear and concise plan to get us back out of it.
    They can’t expect to keep moving the goalposts and for people to go along with it, when nothing they do inspires any confidence whatsoever. They are losing public trust at a rapid rate.

They are trigger happy when it comes to imposing mass shut down of society, but they don’t seem to feel obliged to share any details with us as to how they’re going to get us back out of them until pressure mounts.
    And at that, they put it off to the very last minute possible.
    No bother getting us into these lockdowns but they can’t get us out of them at all.

It was the exact same in the first lockdown, they didn’t release their ‘roadmap’ until mid May, which involved a reopening so dragged out that some industries weren’t due to fully reopen until mid August.
    Meanwhile you could get a haircut, go clothes shopping and for a pint in other EU countries before you could get your dog groomed or go more than a few km from your home here.

These lockdowns are causing massive amounts of anxiety, depression, frustration and distress among the majority of the general public.
    The very least we deserve is honesty and transparency. But they seem to care more about covering their arses than they do about providing strong leadership.

It’s extremely irresponsible and reckless for them to be saying it won’t be safe enough to begin reopening society until May, when that’s almost 3 months away.
    People are hanging on by a thread and talk like that will only serve to push them over the edge.
    They have to know how damaging and dangerous their words are when so many already feel so hopeless.
    We’ve had the longest and strictest lockdown in the EU and we have absolutely nothing to show for it apart from an astronomical amount of debt.
    It just all feels absolutely hopeless right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

The journalists who lap it up deliver the bad news for the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

What's the prediction to get down to 200 cases a day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's the prediction to get down to 200 cases a day.

End of March

That will still be too high, I suspect they are not coming out with criteria as Christmas gave them such a shock they are aiming almost for suppression with something like less than 25 cases per day for 4 weeks as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Definitely a big shift in mentatility lately especially in this thread which would mainly be lockdown supporters thread. They have disappeared. How fair of a reflection is boards to general society.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Definitely a big shift in mentatility lately especially in this thread which would mainly be lockdown supporters thread. They have disappeared. How fair of a reflection is boards to general society.

Yet some opinions polls show very strong support for continuing the current measures

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I wonder how long it will be until there's thousands on the streets of Dublin mass protesting.

I was always against the tin foil hat conspiracy theorist protests at the GPO. Bit I can fully understand why now why people would choose to protest in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bizarre story here. Child tests negative for Covid but we are going to blame Covid for it anyway:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/our-5-year-old-is-in-icu-with-covid-linked-illness-40103698.html

Seems far more likely that an infection from the cut he got is the cause of his illness.

Yet another example of dreadful journalism.

Not bizarre at all. The condition is known to present as a result of a Covid infection in young children even where children do not subsequently test positive for Covid. And no its not more likley "an infection from a cut"

https://www.gosh.nhs.uk/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-we-treat/paediatric-inflammatory-multisystem-syndrome-pims/
    Hmmm indeed. Except we have no idea what the child has been diagnosed with, other than they don't have covid. The only information in the story comes from the grandparents, who were told something by the parents, who were told something by a doctor.

They do know what the child has been diagnosed with. Its referred to in the article

Its a news story not a scientific paper
    A nurse and a young doctor said they were not happy, that Tommy wasn’t responding to treatment,” Bernie said. “They took Tommy for a heart scan. Later they told us he had this Covid-19 related condition, we’d never heard of, PIMS" ...

PIMS (paediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome) has been described as a “Covid-related illness” – a rare but potentially deadly inflammatory disease in several countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

gozunda wrote: »
    Not bizarre at all. The condition is known to present as a result of a Covid infection in young children even where children do not subsequently test positive for Covid. And no its not more likley "an infection from a cut"

They do know what the child has been diagnosed with. Its referred to in the article

Its a news story not a scientific paper

They do not “know” what the child has been diagnosed with. It’s 4th hand information. There is no quote from a doctor or nurse involved, and no suggestion that the reporter has fact checked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

This is so depressing and demoralizing. **** it all

• Advertisement

Martin having a laugh

They'll get away up to Easter

They better have a very good plan after that

They're losing people the further they delay and give society nothing to work towards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be until there's thousands on the streets of Dublin mass protesting.

I was always against the tin foil hat conspiracy theorist protests at the GPO. Bit I can fully understand why now why people would choose to protest in future.

I have to ask why it was travel restrictions that pushed you over the edge after all we’ve put up with? These new measures won’t really affect our day to day lives. If these restrictions allow us to ease domestic restrictions sooner then it’s understandable. The real issue at the moment is the more the virus spreads the more it will mutate and eventually we’ll end up strains that don’t respond to the vaccine and then we are back at square one. I don’t think anyone wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Feels like groundhog day in here. The same voices who shouted loudest before the easing of restrictions at Christmas that led to this incredibly restrictive, lengthy lockdown now out in force again trotting out the same tired stuff. Goldfish memories.

We are so close to a vaccine rollout which gives a proper safe route out of this situation. I know this isn't happening as quickly as people like but it is the end game and rushing into a plan without this isn't an option.

Feels like groundhog day in here. The same voices who shouted loudest before the easing of restrictions at Christmas that led to this incredibly restrictive, lengthy lockdown now out in force again trotting out the same tired stuff. Goldfish memories.

We are so close to a vaccine rollout which gives a proper safe route out of this situation. I know this isn't happening as quickly as people like but it is the end game and rushing into a plan without this isn't an option.

So keep society shut until June?

You can't rely on vaccine rollout with delays on vaccines ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Martin having a laugh

They'll get away up to Easter

They better have a very good plan after that

They're losing people the further they delay and give society nothing to work towards

With today being Ash Wednesday they have forty days until Easter so they better get the thinking caps on and figure something out. If it’s even a plan of some description that is set in stone then fine but for **** sake give us something. And I’m not someone who pushed for lockdowns or was happy about it but like most things there is a point. We the people of this country have done our bit three times. It’s time the government did their part and did it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We really are blessed the UK are motoring ahead with the vaccine and not floundering , we will follow them, at the moment we are basically following what they do regarding travel and likely that will continue regarding society aswell....we might be 2 or 3 weeks behind but we will follow so instead of watching how our government fumble about,,,,let's watch how the neighbors fumble about...but with the added benefit of vax ….

Anyway there is no point in looking at our shower ...the main moves will be made in Britain or the EU...we will follow soon after...stay calm and ignore the politicking from MM and LV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I was against opening at Christmas. I'm also against level 5 until summer despite declining numbers.

We managed fine last summer with level 3 without any vaccines. Goldfish memories indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It’s actually insulting that they’re up there in Dublin trying to come up with the most vague plan with the least commitment possible to any dates or goals with the sole objective of covering their own arses, while absolving themselves of any responsibility if it goes wrong.

Meanwhile, all over Ireland, over half a million people are out of work and experiencing severe financial difficulties and fears for their futures, children are missing out on their education, mental health issues are peaking, isolation and loneliness is now taking hold on even the most resilient of adults (let alone kids), and waiting lists for elective surgeries and other health issues are increasing at an alarming rate.
    A year later and the virus is still out of control and spreading in hospitals and nursing homes, and the very people these lockdowns are supposed to be protecting are still catching the virus at an unacceptable rate in these settings.

And while we are all suffering and worrying for our futures, lives on hold and waiting for any bit of positivity, the lads expect us to keep quiet like good children while they take a few extra months to release a few leaks to the press too see which way the wind is blowing and come up with a plan that lays the least amount of blame on their shoulders possible.
    It’s insulting that they think this is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We really are blessed the UK are motoring ahead with the vaccine and not floundering , we will follow them, at the moment we are basically following what they do regarding travel and likely that will continue regarding society aswell....we might be 2 or 3 weeks behind but we will follow so instead of watching how our government fumble about,,,,let's watch how the neighbors fumble about...but with the added benefit of vax ….

Anyway there is no point in looking at our shower ...the main moves will be made in Britain or the EU...we will follow soon after...stay calm and ignore the politicking from MM and LV

If so it'll be a slow unwinding. Boris said as much today when warning their lifting of restrictions will be very gradual "based firmly on a cautious and prudent approach"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Maxface

Feeling like compliance from me is coming to an end. Haven't seen a parent in person for far too long. Christmas may have shocked them, shocked me too but the free for all at the airports that brought this varient over the water was not my fault. Sitting in my house and going to the shop or a walk most days is not living and I am certainly not spreading it. The communications from government is a shambles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement