Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Where did you find the data on 43% - is this the work Seamus Coffey is doing on excess deaths? Any data on excess deaths for 2020 as a whole?

This is always interesting: https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps#z-scores-by-country

It leads me to believe we are over reporting deaths due to covid or certainly that covid is displacing other causes especially flu and that excess is very low at the moment. There is a reporting lag in Irish data of up to 3 months but this is the 'long tail', you will see the first wave peaked in week 16 so the lag isn't that 'laggy'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Do you think the UK variant might possibly have hitched a ride here on Christmas visitation flights where we had no negative test requirement, no quarantine, no isolate system in place because we would not like to do that to lovely visitors...or only eegits in Zero Covid mad spots do that kind of stuff? We even had repatriation flights for 1500 people. 54000 people flew in for Christmas and it was not until the second week in January that we thought PCR test results might be a good idea. :rolleyes:

The fact we're only now taking any real action on travel now after almost a year of this is absolutely infuriating.

alentejo wrote: »
    I think the Xmas spike was the UK variant being added into the mix very quietly in December and once it was found out in Ireland, it was too late. Back in December, NPHET projections where that 1000 per day infections was the worst estimate for infection with Ireland reopening, however this assumption was made without knowledge of the UK variant.

I think the feeling in Gov at the time was, we could handle 1000 per day with a short lockdown in January with schools open etc.

The UK variant probably picked the perfect 2 weeks of the year to join the party.

The UK variant did not become the dominant variant here until well into January. Most of the cases over Xmas and new year were the old variant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Do you think the UK variant might possibly have hitched a ride here on Christmas visitation flights where we had no negative test requirement, no quarantine, no isolate system in place because we would not like to do that to lovely visitors...or only eegits in Zero Covid mad spots do that kind of stuff? We even had repatriation flights for 1500 people. 54000 people flew in for Christmas and it was not until the second week in January that we thought PCR test results might be a good idea. :rolleyes:

You must have missed robbiezero's response post to yours as you didn't respond. Or maybe you had no good response to it.

Locking us down for 6 weeks before Christmas and warning us beforehand we are going to be locked down again in January was crazy. It'll be the same this time, lock us down for 5 months and then be surprised and worried when numbers go up after.

I noticed that the levels of vomit on pavements in the morning around Dublin is on the increase - levels not seen since mid December. So indoor parties are on the increase.

Maybe its just the restrictions thread posters who are constantly declaring how the restrictions/government/NPHET/Tony H/ RTE etc are making them sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Golfman64 wrote: »
    There’s an article in the Irish Times today indicating that the government are considering extra cash payments for key workers - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/key-workers-in-pandemic-deserve-compensation-varadkar-1.4487736

Is anyone else completely infuriated by this?

I’m currently working in an industry which has been directly affected by restrictions imposed by the government which are excessive relative to most countries. We’ve survived and retained as many staff as possible by cutting salaries and all remaining employees are doing more for less to try and survive all the while paying all employee and corporate taxes in Ireland and contributing to the Irish state funds.

It’s an absolute kick in the teeth to read that others completely unaffected and on a full salary throughout may now receive a bonus payment!

Inequality of the highest order. But completely unsurprising from this useless and insular government.

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Golfman64 wrote: »
    There’s an article in the Irish Times today indicating that the government are considering extra cash payments for key workers - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/key-workers-in-pandemic-deserve-compensation-varadkar-1.4487736

Is anyone else completely infuriated by this?

I’m currently working in an industry which has been directly affected by restrictions imposed by the government which are excessive relative to most countries. We’ve survived and retained as many staff as possible by cutting salaries and all remaining employees are doing more for less to try and survive all the while paying all employee and corporate taxes in Ireland and contributing to the Irish state funds.

It’s an absolute kick in the teeth to read that others completely unaffected and on a full salary throughout may now receive a bonus payment!

Inequality of the highest order. But completely unsurprising from this useless and insular government.

No problem with frontline workers getting looked after.

Dr Niamh Lynch, Consultant Paediatrician just on Newstalk now. It was sobering. She is seriously concerned about the mental health of children she is seeing now. Silence, sadness, depression...........all from lack of interaction with their peer group. They are getting nothing out of Zoom classes now.

The World Health Organisation and the European Centre for Disease Control have also said children NEED to be in school and they are at such low risk. What we are doing to our children will cause far greater issues down the line than Covid.

Yesterday I was in a petrol station paying for diesel. There was a mother with her baby in a pram and her son who was about 6 years old. He was glued to her , holding the pram and said twice in the shop "can we get Coronavirus here"?? He was pale and quiet. If this is a representation of what's happening its very very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

robbiezero wrote: »
    The Christmas spike was coming regardless. It would be naive to think that it was solely caused by hospitality.
    Also NPHET hadn't a rashers that the surge would be the extent it was.
    I'm not excusing this hopeless Government, but I don't think its fair that NPHET get a free pass on what happened at Christmas either.

The issue there is that the government is laregely damned if they do and damned if they don't.

And I say this being a fan of neither of the two main political parties in this country.

Nphet provides advice to the government and based on economic or social presures or needs (such as getting kids back to education or populous demands for lessening of restrictions) - that advice is not always fully implemented.

The fact is we are dealing with an evolving and highly dynamic pandemic. Plans laid in stone are not a solution - no matter how comforting some may find them or want them.

And yes we have had a hard lockdown due to the the fact that just over a month ago Ireland had one of the world’s highest covid-19 infection rates. The infection rates following this have plateued to some extent. Until we get that down were going nowhere.

And anyone who thinks we have the worst restrictions here - take a look at whats going on in some other EU countries at present.

This is sample of the restrictions in Germany
    Throughout Germany a lockdown has been in effect since mid-December and will remain until at least March 7. This means that schools and daycare centers are largely closed, as are stores (except for those that sell or daily necessities) and restaurants as well as theater and concert stages, museums and recreational facilities. In addition, distance and hygiene rules apply. Medical masks — surgical masks or FFP2 respirators, which also protect the wearer — must be worn in stores and on buses and trains, and simple fabric masks are no longer sufficient.

Private meetings are only allowed in one's own household and with a maximum of one other person. Nighttime exit restrictions also apply in some states.

Travel within the country is now only possible for certain essential reasons, for example business trips, and is made more difficult by ever-changing regulations that must be observed.

People entering the country from high-incidence areas must present a negative test result before they can even enter the country. Only then are they allowed to board an aircraft. The same applies to buses, trains and ferries. Regardless of the test result, a ten-day mandatory quarantine period applies in Germany.

As of January 30 a transportation ban has been in effect for all flights, trains, buses and ships from countries where the new variants of the coronavirus have spread. The countries impacted by the ban include Brazil, South Africa, Portugal, the UK and Ireland. The restrictions are currently set to run until February 17.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Dr Niamh Lynch, Consultant Paediatrician just on Newstalk now. It was sobering. She is seriously concerned about the mental health of children she is seeing now. Silence, sadness, depression...........all from lack of interaction with their peer group. They are getting nothing out of Zoom classes now.

It was so sad :(

We sent our smallies back to creche last week and the difference in them is unbelievable. They are so excited to be back, all chat about their day when they get in, asked can they stay longer! Its great to see and really has improved home life for us all. Just hoping now the senior infant is back now March 1st to catch up on school work. I'm no Teacher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yesterday I was in a petrol station paying for diesel. There was a mother with her baby in a pram and her son who was about 6 years old. He was glued to her , holding the pram and said twice in the shop "can we get Coronavirus here"?? He was pale and quiet. If this is a representation of what's happening its very very worrying.

Yeah, that didn't happen......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Klonker wrote: »
    You must have missed robbiezero's response post to yours as you didn't respond. Or maybe you had no good response to it.

Locking us down for 6 weeks before Christmas and warning us beforehand we are going to be locked down again in January was crazy. It'll be the same this time, lock us down for 5 months and then be surprised and worried when numbers go up after.

I ignored it because it was silly - it portrays the Irish as morons. Like ludramáns set loose to helplessly act out. Most people I know are not like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The World Health Organisation and the European Centre for Disease Control have also said children NEED to be in school and they are at such low risk. What we are doing to our children will cause far greater issues down the line than Covid.
    Kids bounce back quickly. Ideally schools would have gone back already, but this time next month they'll all be back.
    The mental health of the entire country will get a boost from it.

hynesie08 wrote: »

what? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

/r/nothingeverhappens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

gozunda wrote: »
    The issue there is that the government is laregely damned if they do and damned if they don't.

And I say this being a fan of neither of the two main political parties in this country.

Nphet provides advice to the government and based on economic or social presures or needs (such as getting kids back to education or populous demands for lessening of restrictions) - that advice is always fully implemented.

The fact is we are dealing with an evolving and highly dynamic pandemic. Plans laid in stone are not a solution - no matter how comforting some may find them or want them.

And yes we have had a hard lockdown due to the the fact that just over a month ago Ireland had one of the world’s highest covid-19 infection rates. The infection rates following this have plateued to some extent. Until we get that down were going nowhere.

And anyone who thinks we have the worst restrictions here - take a look at whats going on in some other EU countries at present.

Where in the EU currently has heavier restrictions that have been going on as long as here, essentially since October with a 3 week break and that are currently on course to last as they are now (excluding schools) until April or May, with apparently only a slight easing then until June/July according to the leaks? Also are there any that had restrictions in place as heavy as we did throughout last summer when cases where near zero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

what? :confused::confused::confused:

Basically you're being called a liar by that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

gozunda wrote: »

Nphet provides advice to the government and based on economic or social presures or needs (such as getting kids back to education or populous demands for lessening of restrictions) - that advice is always fully implemented.

Could you name some of these EU countries that have harsher restrictions than ours and what they are?

Cases here have not plateaued since, they are falling quicker than anywhere else in the EU. We had the highest rates in Europe in early January but we don't anymore and soon will be one of the best.

Most people aren't asking for everything to open up now. What we are complaining about is what government are leaking to us, possible level 5 until May or June. Schools and construction should be opened now because they never should have closed in the first place. Then mid March have a look at easing 5km rule and so on from there. If numbers start to rise significantly we can always row back a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The UK variant did not become the dominant variant here until well into January. Most of the cases over Xmas and new year were the old variant

The UK variant is an easy excuse for Martin and Johnson... "it is nothing to do with the poor decisions we have made to now... it is all due to this new variant"

I have heard a child say something similar, perhaps not as emotivally, o can well believe it.

One of mine, 5, on the other had declared Covid a myth a few months back and after the schools didn't go back said we just need to learn to live with covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I blame the parents.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have heard a child say something similar, perhaps not as emotivally, o can well believe it.

Anyone with young kids know that they a, talk an awful lot of ****e b, repeat phrases they have heard on television and in conversation and c, hear EVERYTHING

I think people who don't have kids.. or have grown up kids don't know/forget the type of stuff they will come out with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

mloc123 wrote: »
    The UK variant is an easy excuse for Martin and Johnson... "it is nothing to do with the poor decisions we have made to now... it is all due to this new variant"

I bet they felt some.. shrinkage.. when Mike Ryan from the WHO said it was not due to any variant, but increased social activity. Talk about a smackdown!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I ignored it because it was silly - it portrays the Irish as morons. Like ludramáns set loose to helplessly act out. Most people I know are not like that.

Unfortunately, a significant minority are. If the government spoke today about a limited easing of restrictions, some would take it as a signal to resume normal living - they would ignore any caveats, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I read the interview and it brought tears to my eyes . The kids are suffering quietly now and it is desperately sad to see.More and more I am getting texts about children crying and upset and not knowing why .

I see Dr Mike Ryan of the WHO now also speaking out about no more L5 after this one

I remember reading during the first lockdown how you can only severely restrict people for at most six weeks as they then wont comply . I remember i think Leo saying " we only have one shot at this so need to get the timing right"
    This is now too much for people , more and more people are making up their own mind while being careful and meeting in gardens etc . I put my warm layers on last week and donned my hat and scarf and sat in a friends garden who was in need of a chat . If they think they will stop people doing that now they are wrong , its now too much and affecting peoples mental health .

One of mine, 5, on the other had declared Covid a myth a few months back and after the schools didn't go back said we just need to learn to live with covid

The sentence I can believe, the pale scared child clinging to his mother's pram like Jack in titanic...... At the very least I'm calling poetic license on that.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I read the interview and it brought tears to my eyes . The kids are suffering quietly now and it is desperately sad to see.More and more I am getting texts about children crying and upset and not knowing why .

I see Dr Mike Ryan of the WHO now also speaking out about no more L5 after this one

I remember reading during the first lockdown how you can only severely restrict people for at most six weeks as they then wont comply . I remember i think Leo saying " we only have one shot at this so need to get the timing right"
    This is now too much for people , more and more people are making up their own mind while being careful and meeting in gardens etc . I put my warm layers on last week and donned my hat and scarf and sat in a friends garden who was in need of a chat . If they think they will stop people doing that now they are wrong , its now too much and affecting peoples mental health .

They don't though, it's called a bubble, you could have even gone inside......

They don't though, it's called a bubble, you could have even gone inside......

I couldnt , she already has a bubble and so have i .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, with the roll out of the vaccine to over 85s this week.... a grand total of 66 jabs were given to over 85s by GPs on Monday.
    This is appalling. How can such a massive failure be accepted?

• Advertisement

The sentence I can believe, the pale scared child clinging to his mother's pram like Jack in titanic...... At the very least I'm calling poetic license on that.

How would you know . ? The child could have lost his nana to Covid for all you know . I could tell you more stories of upset kids and how they cried in bed but I wont because we all know they are affected and dont need to read about individual cases .If you know anything at all about kids you would know that this is affecting them

Have a read and educate yourself about the effect on kids

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40228529.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement