Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

So, with the roll out of the vaccine to over 85s this week.... a grand total of 66 jabs were given to over 85s by GPs on Monday.
    This is appalling. How can such a massive failure be accepted?

My Dad is 89 and has been told it will be another 3 weeks before his appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

6 wrote: »
    No problem with frontline workers getting looked after.

I can actually see OP’s point somewhat. In an ideal world yes this all sounds lovely. However, we are borrowing money and that will have to be paid back by the taxpayers. Also look at amount of people who are out of work right now. Job losses have disproportionally affected younger workers. Workers who will be at least a year behind saving for homes, building their careers for promotions and pay rises. These people lost jobs through no fault of their own. Did many frontline workers work harder then ever before during the surges..yes. On other hand they have job security. So I can imagine that for some people sitting at home after losing their job or business that this plan would annoy them.

I do think many frontline staff would appreciate additional leave this year and next.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

crossman47 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a significant minority are. If the government spoke today about a limited easing of restrictions, some would take it as a signal to resume normal living - they would ignore any caveats, etc.
    Twelve months into this some people have given up on what they should be doing. That doesn't make them to blame, just human. There are plenty of signs of this around us and in our own lives of people just having had enough of it. For now most of middle Ireland are holding the line but that will not last too much longer. Schools returning next month are vital as well as evidence that there is an actual plan to unwind these restrictions. For now there is caution, more caution and comments about months more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I ignored it because it was silly - it portrays the Irish as morons. Like ludramáns set loose to helplessly act out. Most people I know are not like that.

Meeting a few friends for a meal and a drink or visiting family???
    Most people I know are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

batman_oh wrote: »
    Where in the EU currently has heavier restrictions that have been going on as long as here, essentially since October with a 3 week break and that are currently on course to last as they are now (excluding schools) until April or May, with apparently only a slight easing then until June/July according to the leaks? Also are there any that had restrictions in place as heavy as we did throughout last summer when cases where near zero?

Take a read if you are in any doubt

https://m.dw.com/en/european-travel-restrictions-non-essential-travel-curbed/a-56350272

This is just some of the restrictions in the UK for example
    The third lockdown is in effect across the UK until February 22. In England, people are not allowed to leave their homes without a valid reason. Schools, universities and all businesses not considered essential are closed. Accordingly, 56 million Britons are now only allowed to leave their homes in justifiable cases, for example to go to work, go shopping or for medical appointments. Throughout the UK, there are hefty fines for violations of the current coronavirus rules: Failure to comply with the quarantine regulations, for example, could result in fines of up to ₤10,000 (€11,000; $13,330). 

The UK government have indicated that restrictions are likley to remain largely in place until April / May ...

But yes every country is different and its not a competition to see which country is the worstest. We have restrictions for a reason even if some eejits are refusing ro abide by them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

It doesn't really matter what other countries open up or don't as long as there is uncontrolled community spread in Ireland. If we open up now, there will be another spike and repeat. People find it so easy to take no personal responsibility for prolonging the restrictions, leaving those who do follow the restrictions feeling angry, fed-up and helpless because all their efforts are having little effect.
    The hospitals 'managed' the spike, but how many health staff are going to walk away from entirely if they have to deal with another spike? Everyone has their breaking point.

In any case, we should really be celebrating the fact that the numbers are still coming down, if slowly, more vaccines are coming in every day, and better weather is on its way. There are still some positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    NPHET are always hugely concerned. They were hugely concerned at single digit daily cases

Weren't they right to be? Remember this all started from single digit cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Klonker wrote: »
    Could you name some of these EU countries that have harsher restrictions than ours and what they are?

Cases here have not plateaued since, they are falling quicker than anywhere else in the EU. We had the highest rates in Europe in early January but we don't anymore and soon will be one of the best.

Most people aren't asking for everything to open up now. What we are complaining about is what government are leaking to us, possible level 5 until May or June. Schools and construction should be opened now because they never should have closed in the first place. Then mid March have a look at easing 5km rule and so on from there. If numbers start to rise significantly we can always row back a small bit.

It's very hard to compare restrictions to the point where you can absolutely rank them by harshness.
    I mean, one country could have a 5km limit and the other has a 9pm curfew - which is more draconian? I don't know.

We're definitely in one of the harsher lockdowns in Europe right now, but it's relative to the size of our outbreak and the new variant taking over like nowhere else outside the UK.

As for right now, there's a number of countries with similarly harsh lockdowns to us, but Portugal's seems by far the most difficult. They've shut parks and beaches. It's an old fashioned STAY THE **** HOME lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    Twelve months into this some people have given up on what they should be doing. That doesn't make them to blame, just human. There are plenty of signs of this around us and in our own lives of people just having had enough of it. For now most of middle Ireland are holding the line but that will not last too much longer. Schools returning next month are vital as well as evidence that there is an actual plan to unwind these restrictions. For now there is caution, more caution and comments about months more of this.

So who isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Dr. Em wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what other countries open up or don't as long as there is uncontrolled community spread in Ireland. If we open up now, there will be another spike and repeat. People find it so easy to take no personal responsibility for prolonging the restrictions, leaving those who do follow the restrictions feeling angry, fed-up and helpless because all their efforts are having little effect.
    The hospitals 'managed' the spike, but how many health staff are going to walk away from entirely if they have to deal with another spike? Everyone has their breaking point.

In any case, we should really be celebrating the fact that the numbers are still coming down, if slowly, more vaccines are coming in every day, and better weather is on its way. There are still some positives.

So if schools and constuction opened on Monday you think there would be a spike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So, with the roll out of the vaccine to over 85s this week.... a grand total of 66 jabs were given to over 85s by GPs on Monday.

Where are you getting that figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I noticed that the levels of vomit on pavements in the morning around Dublin is on the increase - levels not seen since mid December. So indoor parties are on the increase.

Nphet need to update their models immediately to allow for this leading factor in predicting the levels of covid :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Where are you getting that figure from?

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1362341966697086981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The sentence I can believe, the pale scared child clinging to his mother's pram like Jack in titanic...... At the very least I'm calling poetic license on that.

I have seen a huge change in my child as have nearly all parents I know. Babies and young toddlers seem to be doing okay.
    We are seeing anxiety, loss of emotional control, tantrums in kids that had grown out of them, sadness, anger, sleep issues etc.

As restrictions are eased parents would definitely be happy to see children’s activities prioritised.

This is taking a huge toll on children. I can’t bear to think about children living in abusive homes or children living in poverty. Will those children ever recover from this.

So who isn't?
    Not sure what answer you're looking for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Weren't they right to be? Remember this all started from single digit cases

It is easier to stop a spike when the numbers are low. Oslo is in a similar lockdown to Ireland right now and Norway's 14 day average is 69/100k vs. Ireland's 327/100k. They will be able to lift restrictions after 2-4 weeks though, not 2-4 months. We are paying the long price for Christmas.

So instead of "more than 8,000 vaccinations completed in single day as delivery ramps up in line with increase in supply", we get "only 66 were given to over 85's".

Relentless negative outlook from some

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The sentence I can believe, the pale scared child clinging to his mother's pram like Jack in titanic...... At the very least I'm calling poetic license on that.

whatever makes you feel good....

The boy was pale (maybe because he is indoors most of the time, this was my point).....he was holding on to the pram and would not let go. The reason I noticed this so much is that he was a tall child and his poor mum was struggling to reach across him to open the door to get the buggy out! It was noticeable that as a tall 6 year old (ish) boy he didn't help him mum open the door but clung to the pram handle. For a minute I was watching and thinking that lad needs to help his mum a bit more!! Then when I was driving away I thought more about it, it really struck me as odd because its not something you would normally see with a child that age.

I'm not a regular poster here so when I do take the time to write a post , its not lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

gozunda wrote: »
    Take a read if you are in any doubt

https://m.dw.com/en/european-travel-restrictions-non-essential-travel-curbed/a-56350272

This is just some of the restrictions in the UK for example

The UK government have indicated that restrictions are likley to remain largely in place until April / May ...

But yes every country is different and its not a competition to see which country is the worstest. We have restrictions for a reason even if some eejits are refusing ro abide by them :mad:

I know people that live in the UK and they haven't had the same level of restrictions that we have. They haven't been stuck within 5km for months and haven't had bars and restaurants closed as long as us. We are likely to be confined to our own counties until late June or July based on what they have been leaking. Italy, Spain and France all had bars and restaurants open last year when we didn't - they are still open in most parts of Spain just with a curfew.
    That link is mainly about travel restrictions and enforcement into and out of the various countries. Even The Netherlands which has had long and fairly harsh restrictions allows you to travel around, meet people in their homes and has bars and restaurants open with curfews.
    The 5km rule we have here for as long as we have had it is almost completely unique across the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HereinBray

prunudo wrote: »
    To scare people into compliance.

But at the same time when they announced 100 one day in January, its quite possible when retrospective numbers are added that there were close to that on particular days during the peak.

Untrue.

In Ireland you have three months to register a death.

I'm done with this thread. Constant bickering and sniping.
    It used to be informative but now it's just the same few posters spewing hatred and nonsense.

And no - calling politicians and NPHET members name isn't funny - it's juvenile.

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    So if schools and constuction opened on Monday you think there would be a spike?
    Probably not. A lot of construction is outside and the schools are returning in phases. The issue as always is household transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Supply was being delivered on Monday.

Anywhere most people were aware of only began Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Supply was being delivered on Monday.

Anywhere most people were aware of only began Tuesday
    This is what I'd hope the issue is. Monday being the day that GPs were getting their house in order, ready for Tuesday.

So instead of "more than 8,000 vaccinations completed in single day as delivery ramps up in line with increase in supply", we get "only 66 were given to over 85's".

Well, data is 48 hours behind and we know there are 12,000 shots+ available for them this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yes, because the use of GPs was supposed to start Monday, and be the first step in a massive ramp up of vaccination numbers - particularly when viewed against the actual slowdown of rollout the previous week, and the fact we've thousands of AZ sitting in fridges for a full week going nowhere.

The first day of this new phase? 66 over 85s in the entire country get a jab from a GP.

Every GP in the country should have been starting lists on Monday - so have sent out only 66 doses to GPs is an absolute disgrace and makes a mockery of their planning. Monday is day 1 but we could only actually get 66 doses out there. Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, data is 48 hours behind and we know there are 12,000 shots+ available for them this week.
    I would also be wary of data about GP injections until we know how it's received and processed.

I can certainly see a lot of practices simply not having the time to upload data daily to the HSE and instead won't report on their vaccinations stats until Friday evenings or even the following Monday.

Which means the vaccination data will be very spikey, so daily reports from the HSE may not be very useful.

Yes, because the use of GPs was supposed to start Monday, and be the first step in a massive ramp up of vaccination numbers - particularly when viewed against the actual slowdown of rollout the previous week, and the fact we've thousands of AZ sitting in fridges for a full week going nowhere.

The first day of this new phase? 66 over 85s in the entire country get a jab from a GP.

Every GP in the country should have been starting lists on Monday - so have sent out only 66 doses to GPs is an absolute disgrace and makes a mockery of their planning. Monday is day 1 but we could only actually get 66 doses out there. Its a disgrace.
    No, this week is a test run with limited GPs and well flagged in advance. We did the same back in December, in hospitals.

It's very hard to compare restrictions to the point where you can absolutely rank them by harshness.
    I mean, one country could have a 5km limit and the other has a 9pm curfew - which is more draconian? I don't know.

We're definitely in one of the harsher lockdowns in Europe right now, but it's relative to the size of our outbreak and the new variant taking over like nowhere else outside the UK.

As for right now, there's a number of countries with similarly harsh lockdowns to us, but Portugal's seems by far the most difficult. They've shut parks and beaches. It's an old fashioned STAY THE **** HOME lockdown.

What is the point of the 5km restriction? Can anyone answer this?

My brother from New York thinks he can fly home for Easter to see my Mum who is sick with Covid (hope she makes it). They are more or less opened up there. He couldnt believe about quarantines, isolation and 5km restrictions here !! (so he's not coming).

I was speaking to my sister in the UK last night. She cannot understand why we are restricted to 5km in the Republic of Ireland. She said "are you not all going mad ?" :rolleyes:
    I can deal with almost any other restriction but I think if we are sacrificing so much and all international travel is shut then we should be free to move about the country, for travel..........(not to visit family/friends) but for travel to nice places so we can breathe and allow our minds to dream as feel free again as we walk on a deserted beach in Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, or climb a mountain and see a beautiful view. What is the point of this 5km?? Its driving me mad :(

whatever makes you feel good....

The boy was pale (maybe because he is indoors most of the time, this was my point).....he was holding on to the pram and would not let go. The reason I noticed this so much is that he was a tall child and his poor mum was struggling to reach across him to open the door to get the buggy out! It was noticeable that as a tall 6 year old (ish) boy he didn't help him mum open the door but clung to the pram handle. For a minute I was watching and thinking that lad needs to help his mum a bit more!! Then when I was driving away I thought more about it, it really struck me as odd because its not something you would normally see with a child that age.

I'm not a regular poster here so when I do take the time to write a post , its not lies.

Was talking to someone over summer who said their grandkids had totally regressed from being out of school, clinging to Mammy, afraid of everything. Another Mum has said her kid is afraid to leave the house. They need to get back to school some kind of normality and daily routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is there not also a distinct possibility many GPs just haven't put their first day's worth of vaccinations into whatever system is being used?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement