Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamus wrote: »
    I would also be wary of data about GP injections until we know how it's received and processed.

I can certainly see a lot of practices simply not having the time to upload data daily to the HSE and instead won't report on their vaccinations stats until Friday evenings or even the following Monday.

Which means the vaccination data will be very spikey, so daily reports from the HSE may not be very useful.
    Yeah, but it's not as if they are not doing it. The media been all over the story this week.

What is the point of the 5km restriction? Can anyone answer this?

My brother from New York thinks he can fly home for Easter to see my Mum who is sick with Covid (hope she makes it). They are more or less opened up there. He couldnt believe about quarantines, isolation and 5km restrictions here !! (so he's not coming).

I was speaking to my sister in the UK last night. She cannot understand why we are restricted to 5km in the Republic of Ireland. She said "are you not all going mad ?" :rolleyes:
    I can deal with almost any other restriction but I think if we are sacrificing so much and all international travel is shut then we should be free to move about the country, for travel..........(not to visit family/friends) but for travel to nice places so we can breathe and allow our minds to dream as feel free again as we walk on a deserted beach in Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, or climb a mountain and see a beautiful view. What is the point of this 5km?? Its driving me mad :(
    To limit mass movement, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Klonker wrote: »
    So if schools and constuction opened on Monday you think there would be a spike?

Judging from the outbreaks among construction workers in December, the positivity rate in creches at the end of January, and then general uptick in mobility due to schools being open, I think that the daily numbers would stop going down if they opened on Monday. Right now, I see it as a choice to either open them up and keep the rest of society at level 5 for perhaps two month longer than otherwise, or getting the numbers lower first and having a chance of opening a few other things up and still keeping on top of the contact tracing. It is a devil's bargain either way. If the numbers stop falling anyway due to lack of compliance, things will have to open up regardless and the hospitals will never even get the chance to start treating non-Covid patients. If that worst-case scenario does happen, I'm only hoping the vaccinations will make the difference this time around. Anyway, that is my bleak assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

My brother from New York thinks he can fly home for Easter to see my Mum who is sick with Covid (hope she makes it). They are more or less opened up there. He couldnt believe about quarantines, isolation and 5km restrictions here !! (so he's not coming).

I was speaking to my sister in the UK last night. She cannot understand why we are restricted to 5km in the Republic of Ireland. She said "are you not all going mad ?" :rolleyes:
    I can deal with almost any other restriction but I think if we are sacrificing so much and all international travel is shut then we should be free to move about the country, for travel..........(not to visit family/friends) but for travel to nice places so we can breathe and allow our minds to dream as feel free again as we walk on a deserted beach in Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, or climb a mountain and see a beautiful view. What is the point of this 5km?? Its driving me mad :(

The 5km is an absolute joke - there isn't anywhere else in the world that has imposed such a thing for so long (or even close), with currently no suggestion of when it might end. I'm not sure what the point of confining people to this is, especially within the highly populated parts of Dublin. It basically means every single small park is rammed full of people all the time and when you go for a walk you pass hundreds of people. How is that worse than if they could do a bit further and walk in more remote places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It would only make sense if covid was only in certain parts of the country, and absent in others. Since it’s already everywhere the 5km rule is complete and utter futility, and I don’t know anyone who is bothering with it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, they are not.

gansi wrote: »
    Was talking to someone over summer who said their grandkids had totally regressed from being out of school, clinging to Mammy, afraid of everything. Another Mum has said her kid is afraid to leave the house. They need to get back to school some kind of normality and daily routine.
    Way back in the early, pre-mask days I was in a local Tesco. A woman had her 10-12 year old with her. Every time anyone got within 10 feet of the kid you could see the abject terror on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,542 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The 5km restriction seems to be for large urban areas like Dublin. They just applied it to the whole country which makes no sense.

whatever makes you feel good....

The boy was pale (maybe because he is indoors most of the time, this was my point).....he was holding on to the pram and would not let go. The reason I noticed this so much is that he was a tall child and his poor mum was struggling to reach across him to open the door to get the buggy out! It was noticeable that as a tall 6 year old (ish) boy he didn't help him mum open the door but clung to the pram handle. For a minute I was watching and thinking that lad needs to help his mum a bit more!! Then when I was driving away I thought more about it, it really struck me as odd because its not something you would normally see with a child that age.

I'm not a regular poster here so when I do take the time to write a post , its not lies.
    You've been caught lying twice this week.....

Yes, because the use of GPs was supposed to start Monday, and be the first step in a massive ramp up of vaccination numbers - particularly when viewed against the actual slowdown of rollout the previous week, and the fact we've thousands of AZ sitting in fridges for a full week going nowhere.

The first day of this new phase? 66 over 85s in the entire country get a jab from a GP.

Every GP in the country should have been starting lists on Monday - so have sent out only 66 doses to GPs is an absolute disgrace and makes a mockery of their planning. Monday is day 1 but we could only actually get 66 doses out there. Its a disgrace.

Have you heard the big secret that AZ's are not going to over 85's?

Did you not also see the large proportion of doses on Monday were second jabs?

You realises that these are from the same supply that will be going to the over 85s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

It is a thundering disgrace that a year into this pandemic and they haven't figured out a way to allow people to safely walk on a beach or hike in the countryside or mountains outside of a 5km distance.

There are enough people unemployed to put someone in a high viz jacket beside every clump of trees and inlet in the country and yet the best we can do is fine people for doing no-risk healthy (mentally and physically) activities.

Thankfully myself and my family have ignored this idiocy since early on in the pandemic and it has been great for us.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You've been caught lying twice this week.....

what? :confused::confused:

(from the horses mouth ...aka my brother.......they don't have to wear masks in NY where he is, no 5km restrictions, and he says non essential shops in Brooklyn are open).

Back in the first lockdown before they introduced the 2km restriction (as it was at the time), all the local beauty spots were overrun at the weekend and there were queues outside the petrol stations where people were stopping for picnic supplies. The 5km restriction is primarily to stop everyone from towns congregating at the one nearest wild space and making social distancing impossible. I don't like it, but I see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Klonker wrote: »
    Could you name some of these EU countries that have harsher restrictions than ours and what they are?

Cases here have not plateaued since, they are falling quicker than anywhere else in the EU. We had the highest rates in Europe in early January but we don't anymore and soon will be one of the best.

Most people aren't asking for everything to open up now. What we are complaining about is what government are leaking to us, possible level 5 until May or June. Schools and construction should be opened now because they never should have closed in the first place. Then mid March have a look at easing 5km rule and so on from there. If numbers start to rise significantly we can always row back a small bit.

As detailed above already - take a read for yourself.

https://m.dw.com/en/european-travel-restrictions-non-essential-travel-curbed/a-56350272

And as has been said - It's not a competition between us and other EU countries. Each county have different issues and faces unique difficulties when it comes to helping control the rate of infection within its borders

As to the current situation:
    Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn said: “We have made progress in Ireland over recent weeks, but the rate of transmission of the disease is still extremely high

This is a record of new cases from the beginning of February to the 10th of February with the number of cases see-sawing up and down but not decreasing exponentially

4yhzxv.jpg

6 days ago we were back up to 921 new cases,
    Yesterday that was down again to 650.

Some may personally disagree about schools etc being closed etc. Others want to go on holiday - all that is irrelevant.

Forget the "leaks' - the current situation is dynamic and it looks like its going to stay that way.

(from the horses mouth ...aka my brother.......they don't have to wear masks in NY where he is, no 5km restrictions, and he says non essential shops in Brooklyn are open).

Twice this week you've been caught out lying, why would anyone believe a word that you say?
    Maybe in your alternative dimension of reality a full year of everything that I bolded in your quote has happened. In the dimension that most of us live in this never took place. Sorry to burst your bubble. BTW you have just contradicted yourself. You claimed earlier that you have been travelling the length of the country for several months to visit your daughter after being told to continue on your journey by Gardai and now you claim that you can`t meet anyone in your family. So which is it?
    gipi wrote: »
    So, did you meet with siblings or not?

And new york has the same mask rules as us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

robbiezero wrote: »
    It is a thundering disgrace that a year into this pandemic and they haven't figured out a way to allow people to safely walk on a beach or hike in the countryside or mountains outside of a 5km distance.

There are enough people unemployed to put someone in a high viz jacket beside every clump of trees and inlet in the country and yet the best we can do is fine people for doing no-risk healthy (mentally and physically) activities.

Thankfully myself and my family have ignored this idiocy since early on in the pandemic and it has been great for us.

Who are they?

Those that have ignored the rules and regulations are the same people that have perpetuated this crisis. Not Government, not posters here defending the rules.

If everyone had actually behaved instead of "knowing better" this would be essentially over.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Back in the first lockdown before they introduced the 2km restriction (as it was at the time), all the local beauty spots were overrun at the weekend and there were queues outside the petrol stations where people were stopping for picnic supplies. The 5km restriction is primarily to stop everyone from towns congregating at the one nearest wild space and making social distancing impossible. I don't like it, but I see the problem.

And 1 year on, there is no possible way to mitigate this? None whatsoever?

Who are they?

Those that have ignored the rules and regulations are the same people that have perpetuated this crisis. Not Government, not posters here defending the rules.

If everyone had actually behaved instead of "knowing better" this would be essentially over.

Where is the evidence of any of that?

Such as? What's an unemployed barman in a hivis gonna do?

This happened outside a relatively small town. There aren't many wild spaces per person throughout Ireland - even beaches in Donegal had to close for overcrowding at different times during the lockdown. What solution would you propose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'm living in Santry and my 5km is basically Ballymun, Finglas, Glasnevin and the M50. If I go anywhere that isn't the M50 at the weekend when the weather is decent it is completely rammed with people because there is nothing to do other than walk. There are a couple of parks in my 5km and they aren't that big, it's near impossible to avoid hoardes of people.
    Unless you just do all your walking at night time in housing estates - which is an amazing thing to be allowed to do really (for half a year or more).

Surely letting people spread out a bit more would be better, seeing as the risk of transmission outdoors is a lot lower anyway. This one little change would help a lot of people deal with this better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Such as? What's an unemployed barman in a hivis gonna do?

I know exactly what robbiezero would say to said barman if he tried to stop him going onto a beach

batman_oh wrote: »
    I'm living in Santry and my 5km is basically Ballymun, Finglas, Glasnevin and the M50. If I go anywhere that isn't the M50 at the weekend when the weather is decent it is completely rammed with people because there is nothing to do other than walk. There are a couple of parks in my 5km and they aren't that big, it's near impossible to avoid hoardes of people.
    Unless you just do all your walking at night time in housing estates - which is an amazing thing to be allowed to do really! Surely letting people spread out a bit more would be better, seeing as the risk of transmission outdoors is a lot lower anyway.

It is much worse in cities and is an unpleasant situation to be stuck in. The idea is that several hundred from a 5km area still keep the spread down more then several thousand from many different areas passing eachother on one small path in Glendalough.

This happened outside a relatively small town. There aren't many wild spaces per person throughout Ireland - even beaches in Donegal had to close for overcrowding at different times during the lockdown. What solution would you propose?

Have someone keep a count on numbers entering beauty spots or car parks and either close up once a certain point is reached and/or call guards to do same (they don't seem to have much else to be doing anyway).

Surely the same issues are occurring within the 5km anyway. I know St Annes beside me is mobbed whenever weather is decent. Dollymount too.

I know exactly what robbiezero would say to said barman if he tried to stop him going onto a beach

No you don't. You haven't the first clue. But no surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

HereinBray wrote: »
    Untrue.

In Ireland you have three months to register a death.

I'm done with this thread. Constant bickering and sniping.
    It used to be informative but now it's just the same few posters spewing hatred and nonsense.

And no - calling politicians and NPHET members name isn't funny - it's juvenile.

You should of been around this thread at the start, it’s generally always suffered from angry misinformed people attacking people wanting to get informed and discuss it. Scaremongering was the buzz word from January to at least March last year. Anytime you tried to discuss the merits of the virus coming here a certain group would attack you and add nothing to the conversation basically trying to spoil the threads in a putting your hands over your ears and going “la la la la la, I’m not listening” manner. “Curtain twitchers” is a particularly nasty term that’s been allowed to flourish in this thread over the 12 months, which proved how chronically incapable some people are at engaging with people who have differing opinions to their own.

It’s only in China. It’s only a few people, it’s only a few deaths, it’s only in Asia , it’s only a flu .... The amount of mass delusion regularly shown in this thread and society in general is a real eye opener to people’s sentiments on this outbreak. People letting their feelings and their personal motives drive their own truth.

“The news is scary, why can’t it be more optimistic”? Maybe Because it’s a ongoing global crisis. Have people ever watched the news? In time of peace when Gareth Brooks concert being cancelled was the headline story most of the news is bad news. Don’t expect good news from mediums that seldom promote good news. There’s your problem, not RTÉ or the news media or NEPHET, it’s people looking for these mediums to make them feel better.. NEPHETs job isn’t to tell you everything is gonna be alright, so don’t expect it and get angry when they aren’t giving you what you want.

Science and common sense quite often has been ignored and when it’s come back to bite us the people find somebody else to blame, in Ireland it’s the governments or NEPHET. People want what they want and will build whatever narrative that suits their agenda.

What saddens and worry’s me the most is that I don’t see us learning anything really as a country or a species. Everybody is focusing on the vaccine and opening up. Absolutely no conversations are happening in a meaningful and serious way on how we can prevent this from happening again or on making sure we can manage it better the next time. This is a massive failing, particularly in western society that never really fixed the problems that caused the great financial crash in the 00s. We have a tendency to move on from a crisis once it’s not on front of us instead of implementing changes that will reduce the impact a similar event may have on us in the future.

This crisis was predicted many many times but nobody listened. Many people dismiss and ignore the doomsday clock scientists in a similar fashion because people in general do not want to think about how fragile and chaotic our existence truly is. The peace treaties and lives we take for granted are illusions to the savage nature of the universe ( and humans savage nature) that doesn’t give a flying feck about what we want or think is our right.

Meh, I know I’ve really gone off on one here, prob best I take the dog out and walk it off... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Nope, there are plenty of ways in theory, but so many don't want their rights crushed to dust so blanket rules have to be implemented instead of giving people a little leeway to use common sense.

Even at present, as a nation, we're treating restrictions a la carte. I would love the 5km rule to be scrapped, but as long as we're this far into a pandemic and you still have people unable to apply a little critical thinking, assuming 5km has no impact, thinking a €9 meal is some form of virus protection and that any authority which implements a curfew believes the virus doesnt come out at night, then we'll have to put up with blanket rules.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be ignorant to it all and unable to see logic, those people seem far happier tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You’re right. Non essential retail, hair salons/grooming services, museums and gyms are all open. Cinemas in some districts/boroughs are open, but not in others.
    Cafes, bars and restaurants have been open for outdoor dining for the last few months, and as of last week (the 12th of Feb.), indoor dining is permitted again with restrictions on capacity, etc. but no time limit or minimum spending requirement to access alcohol.
    Citizens are allowed to have up to 10 guests visit their homes. No 5k rule.

My best friend lives there too and can’t believe how heavy handed our restrictions are compared to over there. By all accounts they’re living a far more normal life than we are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Multipass wrote: »
    My Dad is 89 and has been told it will be another 3 weeks before his appointment.

it's a joke at this stage

yet it was wall to wall coverage of GPs doing radio and TV interviews about how they couldn't get wait to get their patients in on Monday

government PR pieces

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's a joke at this stage

yet it was wall to wall coverage of GPs doing radio and TV interviews about how they couldn't get wait to get their patients in on Monday

government PR pieces

We were told it would take 3 weeks to get through the over 85's, it's taking 3 weeks.

What's the joke?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement