Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What is the point of the 5km restriction? Can anyone answer this?

My brother from New York thinks he can fly home for Easter to see my Mum who is sick with Covid (hope she makes it). They are more or less opened up there. He couldnt believe about quarantines, isolation and 5km restrictions here !! (so he's not coming).

I was speaking to my sister in the UK last night. She cannot understand why we are restricted to 5km in the Republic of Ireland. She said "are you not all going mad ?" :rolleyes:

I can deal with almost any other restriction but I think if we are sacrificing so much and all international travel is shut then we should be free to move about the country, for travel..........(not to visit family/friends) but for travel to nice places so we can breathe and allow our minds to dream as feel free again as we walk on a deserted beach in Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, or climb a mountain and see a beautiful view. What is the point of this 5km?? Its driving me mad :(

Whats the constant hangup with 5km?

You do know that the 5km limit is for exercise? You can still go beyond that for essential reasons.

Tbf although second hand conversation with siblings are anecdotal at best - I reckoned you must missed this bit. But no - we are not in a competition with other countries with regard to restrictions. Each country have their own.

Thus us the UK.
    The third lockdown is in effect across the UK until February 22. In England, people are not allowed to leave their homes without a valid reason. Schools, universities and all businesses not considered essential are closed. Accordingly, 56 million Britons are now only allowed to leave their homes in justifiable cases, for example to go to work, go shopping or for medical appointments. Throughout the UK, there are hefty fines for violations of the current coronavirus rules: Failure to comply with the quarantine regulations, for example, could result in fines of up to ₤10,000 (€11,000; $13,330). 

The issue is not about travelling 300 miles to climb a mountain by yourself in deepest darkest donegal - its the 400 eejits who all decide to do the same thing and all have to stop get a refill of petrol / stop for a chicken fillet roll / all use the jax on the way there or back.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Multipass wrote: »
    My Dad is 89 and has been told it will be another 3 weeks before his appointment.
    I'd say it's down to supplies. Moderna, which is being used this week, is in more limited supply plus some of the Pfizer doses are needed for 2nd shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

So instead of "more than 8,000 vaccinations completed in single day as delivery ramps up in line with increase in supply", we get "only 66 were given to over 85's".

Relentless negative outlook from some

Not a single day goes by now that I don't hear Mrs. Doyle

hynesie08 wrote: »
    We were told it would take 3 weeks to get through the over 85's, it's taking 3 weeks.

What's the joke?

No, everyone should be done on day 1, even if we don't have the supply yet

robbiezero wrote: »
    I know St Annes beside me is mobbed whenever weather is decent. Dollymount too.

Wonder what it would be like if everyone from further afield weren't discouraged from vising......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No you don't. You haven't the first clue. But no surprise there.

Since you've "been ignoring this idiocy" as you say, what exactly would you have said to powerless yellow vest man as he stopped you from entering a beach/park?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's not as if they are not doing it. The media been all over the story this week.
    Right.
    I'm not sure what your point is though.

The figure of 66, is the number of vaccinations reported as having been inserted into someone's arm.

This doesn't mean that the HSE have only delivered 66 doses to GPs. And it's quite likely the number is larger than 66, but the GPs have simply not reported in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's a joke at this stage

yet it was wall to wall coverage of GPs doing radio and TV interviews about how they couldn't get wait to get their patients in on Monday

government PR pieces

3 weeks is a decent enough turn around in the grander scheme of things. Some people are getting them today some have to wait 3 weeks, that's kind of how it works.

Everyone can't be done in literally 1 day, you do understand that right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

seamus wrote: »
    Right.
    I'm not sure what your point is though.

The figure of 66, is the number of vaccinations reported as having been inserted into someone's arm.

This doesn't mean that the HSE have only delivered 66 doses to GPs. And it's quite likely the number is larger than 66, but the GPs have simply not reported in yet.

The GPs aren't using the main vaccine reporting system. Wouldn't put much stock in daily numbers coming out this week, many will only fully report what they've done on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

If everyone had actually behaved instead of "knowing better" this would be essentially over

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Will never happen. Just like COVID will never go away as a disease, 100% of people will never ever "behave".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Since you've "been ignoring this idiocy" as you say, what exactly would you have said to powerless yellow vest man as he stopped you from entering a beack/park?

I'd have said grand job and just headed off someplace else.
    Just someone doing his/her job, no need of any aggro and if the beach or park is getting crowded, then fair enough, I'll just go someplace else, its a sparsely populated country full of open spaces.

Not the answer you want I know.....

funnydoggy wrote: »
    If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Will never happen. Just like COVID will never go away as a disease, 100% of people will never ever "behave".

People call on government to deal with the crisis. Government looks to experts to give it advice on how to slow and stop this. Government passes this onto the public in the form of information campaigns and regulations, in which a large proportion of the population ignore to varying extents.

The population then blames government for the crisis not going away? Something's not computing here.

I'd have said grand job and just headed off someplace else.
    Just someone doing his/her job, no need of any aggro and if the beach or park is getting crowded, then fair enough, I'll just go someplace else, its a sparsely populated country full of open spaces.

Not the answer you want I know.....
    If you're so compliant then you'll have no problems with the current regulations so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You’re right. Non essential retail, hair salons/grooming services, museums and gyms are all open. Cinemas in some districts/boroughs are open, but not in others.
    Cafes, bars and restaurants have been open for outdoor dining for the last few months, and as of last week (the 12th of Feb.), indoor dining is permitted again with restrictions on capacity, etc. but no time limit or minimum spending requirement to access alcohol.
    Citizens are allowed to have up to 10 guests visit their homes. No 5k rule.

My best friend lives there too and can’t believe how heavy handed our restrictions are compared to over there. By all accounts they’re living a far more normal life than we are here.

All that and the US is in the top 10 countries with the number of deaths (per million) in the world.

But God forbid 'restrictions' like :rolleyes:

Wonder what it would be like if everyone from further afield weren't discouraged from vising......?

I'd imagine similar to before the pandemic. A lot less people visiting.

If you're so compliant then you'll have no problems with the current regulations so.

Can you really not see a difference between being told that a certain amenity is a bit too crowded and to go elsewhere; and being confined to within 5km?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

People call on government to deal with the crisis. Government looks to experts to give it advice on how to slow and stop this. Government passes this onto the public in the form of information campaigns and regulations, in which a large proportion of the population ignore to varying extents.

The population then blames government for the crisis not going away? Something's not computing here.

A large proportion? How large?

The govt. / higher ups aren't infallible either. Not saying they're responsible for the rise in cases, but they messed up too.

Leo in the park with his cans
    Golfgate
    Meat plants/direct provision scandals
    RTE party (not government but they are front and center every day talking and pushing these measures, acting as a mouthpiece for the govt.)
    Lifting restrictions for Christmas
    Norma Foley in general

Look, I can see your point and I agree with it to an extent, but to err is human. We're all shouldering the burden.

PS. My tone may come across as hostile but it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

gozunda wrote: »
    All that and the US is fuked and in the top 10 countries of the number of deaths (per million) in the world.

You’re not wrong, but that’s not the point I was making, and not what was being discussed.
    @Sweetmaggie was called a liar (twice) for saying New York is open for business.
    She’s not lying, the majority of industries and services are open over there. They do have a lot more normality and our approach is a lot more heavy handed than theirs is. These are all facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

You’re not wrong, but that’s not the point I was making, and not what was being discussed. @Sweetmaggie was called a liar (twice) for saying New York is open for business.
    She’s not lying, the majority of industries and services are open over there.

Sure we have had the new travel restrictions thing posted multiple times to show that apparently the UK, Germany etc. have had more restrictions than us over the course of this when they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Have people given up on masks?

I've been in 6 big workplace this week and the staff are all interacting with no masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'll be accused of monging doom for this, but I'm learning to live with the insults.
    If you can't get your head around why restrictions are so tight, then this is for you.
    Though in saying that I'm not sure this is widely understood, regardless of where you stand on restrictions.

Below is a chart of our daily cases (light blue).
    The dark blue bars indicate the percentage of cases that are made up of the B.1.1.7 variant from the UK.
    The percentage is taken from what NPHET have told us from their genomic sequencing tests. The UK variant makes up 90% of positive tests as of yesterday.

It's pretty clear that, as expected, we are crushing the old strain.
    We did it in Oct/Nov with lighter restrictions so it's no surprise.

The same can't be said for the new variant. It's a much more resilient infection.

544106.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'll be accused of monging doom for this, but I'm learning to live with the insults.
    If you can't get your head around why restrictions are so tight, then this is for you.
    Though in saying that I'm not sure this is widely understood, regardless of where you stand on restrictions.

Below is a chart of our daily cases (light blue).
    The dark blue bars indicate the percentage of cases that are made up of the B.1.1.7 variant from the UK.
    The percentage is taken from what NPHET have told us from their genomic sequencing tests. The UK variant makes up 90% of positive tests as of yesterday.

It's pretty clear that, as expected, we are crushing the old strain.
    We did it in Oct/Nov with lighter restrictions so it's no surprise.

The same can't be said for the new variant. It's a much more resilient infection.

544106.png

Seriously?

I'd imagine similar to before the pandemic. A lot less people visiting.

What? I'd be careful with that imagination of yours, your logic is flawed and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Currently the beaches and parks are packed.
    That's while those outside the 5km zone aren't allowed visit
    So if we open up the 5km zone, you think the numbers are going to fall off a cliff?
    Do you honestly think there are more within the zone that will travel further afield than there are who are outside it now and would jump at the chance to go to the beach and/or the best park on the Northside?

A couple of observations on this, as I live close by and have been visiting both St Annes and Dollyer for years:
    There weren't 'a lot less' people vising either spot before the pandemic.
    At certain times, yes, there's an increase in footfall, but the park especially is a shadow of itself at times
    Especially at the weekends when the red stables were open fully and the market stalls were trading.
    They even had Kodaline play a gig there in 2019 FFS, the Supervalu in Killester had to ban concert traffic from parking there the place was so busy.
    Never mind the pitch n putt being closed, no more parkrun events, fewer people at the RC car race track etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Who are they?

Those that have ignored the rules and regulations are the same people that have perpetuated this crisis. Not Government, not posters here defending the rules.

If everyone had actually behaved instead of "knowing better" this would be essentially over.

Why do you think this? There is zero basis for saying this.

Compare lockdown versus non lockdown states in the US.....The deaths are worse in the lockdown but in general there is little difference.

Would you be chastising people in countries with no welfare exists if they went out to work to make sure their family didn't starve?

Eventually what will happen and is starting to happen is people will ignore the rules when the financial pain becomes worse than the perceived threat from the television which is bombarding us daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Seriously?

depends on your tone

I can't tell if you're looking for more detail, or just acting like a teenager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

gozunda wrote: »
    All that and the US is in the top 10 countries with the number of deaths (per million) in the world.

Due to having more vulnerable people than any other country in the world through percentage of population classified as obese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

You’re not wrong, but that’s not the point I was making, and not what was being discussed.
    @Sweetmaggie was called a liar (twice) for saying New York is open for business.
    She’s not lying, the majority of industries and services are open over there. They do have a lot more normality and our approach is a lot more heavy handed than theirs is. These are all facts.

The comparison isn't like for like, though. They probably have state of the art hospitals with a higher ICU capability. There are almost 20 million people in NY alone. Not comparable to here on so many levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Due to having more vulnerable people than any other country in the world through percentage of population classified as obese.

Point that finger right back at ourselves. We have shocking obesity rates and unhealthy behaviour in our own country. Have you a link saying the US has more vulnerable people, when adjusted for population size?

What? I'd be careful with that imagination of yours, your logic is flawed and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Currently the beaches and parks are packed.
    That's while those outside the 5km zone aren't allowed visit
    So if we open up the 5km zone, you think the numbers are going to fall off a cliff?
    Do you honestly think there are more within the zone that will travel further afield than there are who are outside it now and would jump at the chance to go to the beach and/or the best park on the Northside?

A couple of observations on this, as I live close by and have been visiting both St Annes and Dollyer for years:
    There weren't 'a lot less' people vising either spot before the pandemic.
    At certain times, yes, there's an increase in footfall, but the park especially is a shadow of itself at times
    Especially at the weekends when the red stables were open fully and the market stalls were trading.
    They even had Kodaline play a gig there in 2019 FFS, the Supervalu in Killester had to ban concert traffic from parking there the place was so busy.
    Never mind the pitch n putt being closed, no more parkrun events, fewer people at the RC car race track etc.

Go to the park now and take a run down the main avenue and tell me thats your normal Thursday afternoon crowd and yes I know schools are off etc, but its the same at weekends. From morning to night, far bigger crowds that normal for February even without markets or parkrun

If we get decent weather at the weekend, the park will be mobbed as it was most of last summer during travel restrictions, far more than I have ever seen it. Normally the area around the red stables is full of picnickers, last summer there were people scattered all over the park picnicking in the middle of pitches etc. In 20 years of being beside it, I have never seen the likes.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make about a Kodaline concert in the park, but I think that might be a bit of an outlier in terms of trying to compare crowds.

You could probably safely open the markets again if the 5km restriction wasn't in place, but because of it they were absolutely flooded with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's clever Tony, I'll give you that.

But it's doesn't say, "we are only beating the old strain". The new variant's percentage share is increasing because it's a dominant strain, not because the old strain is being beaten by restrictions.

Chart the % share of the new variant over time. Even just eyeballing your graph, you can see the % share of the new variant is increasing well before any restrictions kick in.

This tells us that the increase in share is because the strain is dominant.

You might be right that it'll be harder to reduce. I'm skeptical of Dr. Glynn's claim we can make 200 cases/day by mid-March. But the claim that we are not beating it back isn't substantiated by your graph.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement