Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

seamus wrote: »
    816 positive swabs, 5.26% of 15,499

5 days in a row under 1,000 positives.

Despite it looking like a plateau, some of the shorter-term numbers are looking positive. The positivity rate has been less spikey than previous weeks. The longer-term trend should be more obvious come next week.

:)

544125.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭brickster69

AZ approved in Australia & Saudi Arabia for all ages. Production capacity for 1 million a week from Melbourne plant.

https://twitter.com/ImAllNews/status/1361958998635929605

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

pos.png
    It was flagged well in advance by Professor Nolan that we will have a plateau as testing non-symptomatic close contacts will be fed into the system. He explained it so well, that one of the reporters actually understood it and made a comment about it being 2 curves and this is where they briefly intersect etc...

Anyway, relying on 1 positivity figure won't give the most accurate picture.
    Hospital positivity rate was dropping fast, this could be leveling off and the community positivity could be dropping now etc... lots of factors in play.
    The updated charts tonight should give us a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

This is interesting in showing where we are relative to others. As was discussed here back in April/May Ireland had ramped up testing ahead of many other EU countries.

https://twitter.com/vollcornhirsch/status/1362041993556328450?s=21

We are no longer up the league table and that is because we have had lockdowns and for the most part the population has complied with the rules. This is a narrative that both extremes are uncomfortable with. We had a brief period where our cases were higher than elsewhere but we managed this very well.

Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

WSJ have obtained details from the current WHO investigation into the origin of the virus here (paywall).

- WHO have Identifying two animals—ferret badgers and rabbits—that can carry the virus and were sold at a Chinese market where many early cases emerged.
    - These animals, sold at the Wuhan market, came from a region of China near its Southeast Asian borders where the closest known relatives of the virus have been found in bats.
    - Peter Daszak, a zoologist on the WHO team, said in an interview that ferret badgers were among carcasses found in freezers at the market.
    - WHO team is juggling multiple competing hypotheses and still isn’t sure if the virus first jumped from animals to humans at the market or if it was circulating elsewhere first.
    - WHO investigators also want China to conduct widespread testing of its mink farms.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Paul Reid said 68% of last week's Covid-19 cases were close contacts of confirmed cases, which he said is a "cause of concern".

Why is that a cause of concern? The more cases that are in close contacts relative to rate in community the better. It means your tracking down most of the outbreaks

seamus wrote: »
    Paul Reid is a classic clueless manager. His competent underlings talk to him about matters, explain the numbers and give him graphs.

Then when he stands up in public to present that data, he just rattles off the numbers with a completely incorrect interpretation. I'd say the data analysts who gave him the data are just sitting there rolling their eyes when he talks.

He was talking about "causes for concern", saw "68% are close contacts" on his screen and decided to say "this is a cause for concern", without explaining why. Because he doesn't know. Reid doesn't really understand any of this, he's a bluffer. He should be leaving HSE updates to one of his team.

68% transmission from close contacts is a good figure. It's where we were the last time we had this thing well under control and it tells us that our trace & test system is back in control.

Thats what my first though was. Where else than close contacts would it be? If we had 68% unknown transmission now that may be a cause for concern. But close contacts? Surely thats expected and by extension 'good'?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Why is that a cause of concern? The more cases that are in close contacts relative to rate in community the better. It means your tracking down most of the outbreaks

It's a cause of concern because in this wave far more close contacts are now testing positive than in previous waves. Infections between closecontacts are now running at much higher levels hence cementing the idea that the new variant is much more contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Great words, a caveat though, it is the rich countries predominantly that a suffering the greater effects of this virus, and the longer the rich countries remain in rolling lockdowns the greater the long term economic effects, which ultimately will do more long term damage in developing countries than the virus

• Advertisement

He is of course correct. The attitude of Europe and the US is also in stark contrast with China and Russia whose vaccines are finding their way to the poorest countries on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

He is correct but I still won’t be turning down the vaccine when offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He is of course correct. The attitude of Europe and the US is also in stark contrast with China and Russia whose vaccines are finding their way to the poorest countries on Earth.

o1tctmfjyp9RjcPA6

I presume that’s why the top of the vaccine charts are dominated by oil states, tax havens and luxury holiday destinations?

The propaganda is working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

901 new cases 47 deaths

Are we going to need a shot of level 6 for a couple of weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

JP100 wrote: »
    It's a cause of concern because in this wave far more close contacts are now testing positive than in previous waves. Infections between closecontacts are now running at much higher levels hence cementing the idea that the new variant is much more contagious.

Everybody is confined to their homes for the vast majority of the day. By enforced lockdown and through the miserable weather of the last few weeks.

So the majority of close contacts that people have, are shockingly enough, going to be in their own household.

We also know that the virus is more easily transmitted indoors!

If somebody in the home gets it they are likely going to pass it on to other people in the household.

It's not even remotely a cause for concern. Pure hysteria from another no-nothing 'expert' that people like to say we should be listening to.

This fear-mongering about this new variant and it's transmissibility is strangly happening at the time of an unprecedented decline in Covid cases worldwide (and not everyone is in this draconian lockdown either).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

901 new cases 47 deaths

RIP 47

771 in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

901 new cases 47 deaths

Usual Thursday (sorry head isn’t with it in regards to days!) bump?..

The swab data today was decent

Worldwide daily new cases drop from 850k to 350k in just over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Usual Thursday (sorry head isn’t with it in regards to days!) bump?..

The swab data today was decent

Can you explain the difference to the numbers they put out and the "swab data" please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can you explain the difference to the numbers they put out and the "swab data" please?

Notified could include a backlog
    Swab data is total swabs in the past 24 hours, including retests.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Something very positive but not sure what's causing it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Evidence for seasonality perhaps? (do most of the world population live in the northern hemisphere?)

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Everybody is confined to their homes for the vast majority of the day. By enforced lockdown and through the miserable weather of the last few weeks.

So the majority of close contacts that people have, are shockingly enough, going to be in their own household.

We also know that the virus is more easily transmitted indoors!

If somebody in the home gets it they are likely going to pass it on to other people in the household.

It's not even remotely a cause for concern. Pure hysteria from another no-nothing 'expert' that people like to say we should be listening to.

This fear-mongering about this new variant and it's transmissibility is strangly happening at the time of an unprecedented decline in Covid cases worldwide (and not everyone is in this draconian lockdown either).

Not strange at all variants will keep occurring.

Your timing is wrong -

501Y.V1_variant November 2020
    501.V2_variant December 2020
    Lineage P.1 variant 6th January 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Vicxas wrote: »

Most of the world is in lockdown. I'd say that one major factor.

Vicxas wrote: »
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Evidence for seasonality perhaps? (do most of the world population live in the northern hemisphere?)

Nobody knows apparently. Experts scratching their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

901 new cases 47 deaths

What are you calling level six?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Todays figure is 35 larger than this day last week

However for the 4 days so far this week we're 141 cases lower than the same four days last week

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    What are you calling level six?

AKA proper level 5.

As most cases are either at work or in homes two weeks of total shutdown should work as a fire break. No leaving your home other than to the shop to buy groceries by one person. Nothing moves other than those in medical front line or getting vaccination.

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Twice this week you've been caught out lying, why would anyone believe a word that you say?

And new york has the same mask rules as us.....

...Hello Hynesie08

just to reply to your accusations that I was lying. I cannot pick up the 2 quotes but No 1. was that I said I had travelled from Louth to Limerick plenty of times and told the Gardai at any checkpoint I met why. Each time I was wished well and waved through to continue on my journey. This is the truth.

No 2. another poster asked if I had seen my siblings through this time when I was saying I hadn't (based on my trips to Limerick to see my daughter). No I didn't, this is also the truth.

My daughter in Limerick had a premature delivery of her 2nd baby along with post natal depression after it. She also had an 18 month old at the time. A month before the birth they all got Covid 19. So yes I was allowed visit her, she was in my bubble, she was a vulnerable family member and I was helping with my 2 grandchildren.

I did not see any of my 6 siblings and have not since last year. Its been a long time. I can visit my daughter because she is in my bubble. I cannot visit my siblings as they all live too far away.
    This is all stuff I shouldn't even have to defend here, it derails threads and take time to try and find those posts you even referred to.

To be honest I find it disturbing and bizarre that someone would trawl through my posting history to accuse me of lying???? Is this because I said things are much more open in New York? That's wasn't a lie either. I don't tell lies. What is the point, I'm not trying to impress anyone?

You really don't know the state of mind or anyone who is posting here. You post in such a bitter way, accusing a total random poster of lying. Boards is a toxic place to be these days. I hope its only a sign of the stress people are under and I would appeal for people to be kinder to each other. People should be able to have different opinions without being called liars.

I just don't get it, I have had a pretty bad week (my 86 year old mother has Covid in her nursing home) . It took me the afternoon and a swim in the sea to feel right again.

I hope you have a nice evening and you were just having a bad day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement