Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They are loosing the people now . I see it all around me , people wont comply until May . They just have had enough

It's been happening for a while now. I don't believe the opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Stheno wrote: »

That's outrageous. I understand hospitality and group events but to continue to keep Click/collect for non-essential retail, golf, tennis and other already proven safe activities closed is unacceptable and I think they'll lose the room if they continue without some rational nuance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

While other sources tell other journalists no dates were mentioned.

This is the issue with leaks, its like Chinese whispers

Or in the case of newspapers the most depressing headlines to attract clicks even if the body of text bears little to no relation to the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We will have been in a level 5 lockdown for 12 out of 15 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Diabhalta wrote: »
    So again no covid checkpoints today. Not even a squad car in sight in Cork. I guess it's level 3 now.

Nice to be able to travel without being harassed.

giphy.gif

Cork is a very big county

I got stopped in one checkpoint today

That one is a permanent one that's there every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

They are loosing the people now . I see it all around me , people wont comply until May . They just have had enough

Seriously, there are so many lockdown fanatics who have not been affected financially that this will go on until they are affected financially.

That is the bottom line. Everybody feels sorry for others only as long as they are not hit financially themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

It's been happening for a while now. I don't believe the opinion polls.

Maybe. But if compliance is dropping in any sort of meaningful way, it's among people who don't have smartphones.

Those that do are being remarkably compliant.

Yes that's possible

It's also possible that such a strategy will lose the compliance of a lot of people along the way

That's 5 months minimum of not seeing friends, family, partners within counties not to mind in other counties

The restrictions might not have changed but a lot of people won't comply for that long imo

Maybe. But if compliance is dropping in any sort of meaningful way, it's among people who don't have smartphones.

Those that do are being remarkably compliant.

Most people haven't downloaded the app.

MattS1 wrote: »
    They can't run and jump with May ffs! March is too late nevermind May. Absolute morons in charge.

Yeah, Well I'll be planning a few beers and many nights and days craic with mates when the euros are on in the summer. We'll have to identify the snitches and remove them from group chats and let the good times roll. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Yup i think so too

So strict restrictions until early May followed by a slow painful careful easing of restrictions after that

2021 is shaping up to be worse than 2020 the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Diabhalta wrote: »
    You live in a level they want you to live. I don't live in any of their levels.

tumblr_msytbz9pPw1sr0wfvo1_500.gif

Most people haven't downloaded the app.

Tony is on about mobility data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fair enough for hospitality to be closed til then but they can go fcuk themselves if they keep hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail closed that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They have to give a little or they will loose the people
    There is no reason not to open click and collect
    Do away with the 5 kms stupid nonsense
    Let us buy our knickers in Dunnes
    Let us meet our family in the garden at very bloody least . We might freeze to death but at least we will have something
    Let us bubble up with one other family and that family only .
    Give us a bloody break now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I don’t have enough ways to say ‘not a hope in hell is that feasible’

It’s never gonna be followed for that long

titan18 wrote: »
    Fair enough for hospitality to be closed til then but they can go fcuk themselves if they keep hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail closed that long.

So fcuk anyone working in hospitality trying to pay their mortgage and provide for their family?

Let us meet our family in the garden at very bloody least . We might freeze to death but at least we will have something

Can you not already meet your family if you want to?

Most seem to be doing it anyway.

A friend of mine posted a quote on his feed today. I think it is honest and apt.
    'We are not all in this together, we are in the same storm together that's all. Some have yachts, some have kayaks others are drowning'.

I consider myself lucky my job is the same now as it was 1 year ago, two years ago and will be the same two years from now. The same cannot be said for 1000's of my fellow citizens and they have my sympathy.

The only thing there I could see happening is meeting family outdoors unfortunately

If they're delaying construction that will be back before non essential retail

5km nonsense will remain as they have that linked to not being able to evict people

Don't think they would change the bubble system even though that would be great

Keeping very strict restrictions for so long is going to rebound on the government

People are having their fill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can you not already meet your family if you want to?

Most seem to be doing it anyway.

Yeh but they need to allow it . Lots are not and suffering the effects

So fcuk anyone working in hospitality trying to pay their mortgage and provide for their family?

It's absolutely shocking the lack of empathy for the plight of others.

Yeh but they need to allow it . Lots are not and suffering the effects

True but I wish this lot would make the decision for themselves. If they are miserable and missing family members, then bloody meet them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No, but that's an actual large risk in regards covid spread. The others are not imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Level 5 from October 2020 - May 2021 so with a three week reprieve in December. Septic stuff

(I’m in Cork and I’ve been through 25 checkpoints this week. They are still there)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

True but I wish this lot would make the decision for themselves. If they are miserable and missing family members, then bloody meet them.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Whats the alternative open up and hospitals in an even worse position than early January? Compliance is waning as it is so Ro unlikely to stay below 1 with current restrictions. Their seems to be no real answers at the moment which is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes that's possible

It's also possible that such a strategy will lose the compliance of a lot of people along the way

That's 5 months minimum of not seeing friends, family, partners within counties not to mind in other counties

The restrictions might not have changed but a lot of people won't comply for that long imo

But the Catch 22 of the situation is if people don't comply then cases increase and restrictions just go on and on and on indefinitely. People here seem to totally to not take into account that less compliance and more mixing only prolongs the situation by increasing the incidence rate of the virus in the community. Some people on here are in total denial about reality. The situation won't be improved by more people picking the virus up.

It’s not about the government trying to "give something back" - they tried that in December and look where we ended up.

People were sick of restrictions then, but it made no difference, the virus still spread like crazy and we had to shut down all over again with even greater strictness.

"Ah people need to stop complying" - I read that again and again. And what will that prove? All that will happen is more cases, hospitalisations and deaths and further delays to the vaccination programme and a ultimately longer and more damaging period of strict restrictions. It's totally counterproductive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Arghus wrote: »
    But the Catch 22 of the situation is if people don't comply then cases increase and restrictions just go on and on and on indefinitely. People here seem to totally to not take into account that less compliance and more mixing only prolongs the situation by increasing the incidence rate of the virus in the community.

It’s not about the government trying to "give something back" - they tried that in December and look where we ended up.

People were sick of restrictions then, but it made no difference, the virus still spread like crazy and we had to shut down all over again with even greater strictness.

"Ah people need to stop complying" - I read that again and again. And what will that prove? All that will happen is more cases, hospitalisations and deaths and further delays to the vaccination programme and a ultimately longer and more damaging period of strict restrictions. It's totally counterproductive.

Numbers were going up in December. They're going down now. So why the talk of keeping level 5 restrictions until May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

New plan with no defined opening dates in correlation to numbers

Won't end well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement