Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, most people I meet are frustrated as hell. I have been meeting people in work though, I presume its different for people wfh who are used to been hidden away from the world at the stage and are terrified of this disease.

Not nice to assume people wfh are terrified of the disease.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm the opposite, most people I meet are frustrated as hell. I have been meeting people in work though, I presume its different for people wfh who are used to been hidden away from the world at the stage and are terrified of this disease.

Nope

I've wfh since 4th March last year.

I used go in an office 5 days a week

I've had one night out with four colleagues since March 4

Everyone of my close colleagues in Ireland would like a bit of face to face interaction tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I meet people in work too, same as yourself, and I would agree with you that people are frustrated. Of course they're frustrated! You'd have to be frustrated with life at the moment. But there's a difference between being frustrated and thinking it's time for mass non compliance or that restrictions aren't necessary. I work with a lot of people from all walks of life and most have a glum acceptance of where we are. It didn't feel like that in December. That's just my experience, you might have a totally different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I see the Taoiseach and by extension the government haven’t a bullocks notion of how to get the country open again.did I see right that they want to keep us locked down until may ? Sod that for a game of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We're now back to "Let's stay in Lockdown so we can avoid going into Lockdown".

Very few were against strict lockdown in early Jan when cases went crazy and spiralled to much worse than NHPET's worst case scenario. When you're the worst in the world for a period people will be reasonable. They're not going to be reasonable when daily cases fall in early April to 1% or 2% of those January highs (from NPHET's current predictions), with a significant portion of the real most vunerable vaccinated.

Cases are too high currently, fine. By NPHET's projections they could be hitting double digits daily by week 1 April. That is absolutely a point at which retail, outdoor sports and certain services (hairdressers) should reopen. If projections are wrong and cases are still in the mid hundreds at that point, then reassess. But these blanket statements about Level 5 until May are as heartbreaking as they are pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What? No they can't.

They can take the battery out or let the battery run dead. Or else they can leave it at home. Stick it in the microwave, good shielding.

On second thoughts you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Arghus wrote: »
    There is a limit to what people can take. But people felt at their limit in December and then they got a rude awakening and it turns out they can take more after all.

But, I'm being honest, and it's only my experience, people are still by and large putting up with it. Obviously everyone is fed up at some level, but Boards is the only place I come across this level of frustration. It is a place that is built for people to vent and what you read here gives a skewed opinion on how society as a whole is reacting to things.

Of course there's loads of depression and negativity - why wouldn't there be, given what is happening - out there as well, but, all things considered and on balance, I'm often struck by how resilient society is in the face of this.

Good points- I believe if people couldn’t rant online there would be people on the streets. We are lazy nowadays, an online whine just takes the edge off and we can then just watch a box set.

The problem with having restrictions and then opening up like Christmas is people feel they have to do something if it’s allowed- they make choices according to what’s allowed rather than what’s safe.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I meet people in work too, same as yourself, and I would agree with you that people are frustrated. Of course they're frustrated! You'd have to be frustrated with life at the moment. But there's a difference between being frustrated and thinking it's time for mass non compliance or that restrictions aren't necessary. I work with a lot of people from all walks of life and most have a glum acceptance of where we are. It didn't feel like that in December. That's just my experience, you might have a totally different one.

It's not that people think there should be mass non compliance, but construction shut, no click and collect till may, we are not talking about opening up pubs here, we are talking about giving us something to hope for, even a haircut at this stage. It's too restrictive for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

As if makes one bit of difference, it will go on and on anyway. **** that it's time to go back having a bit of life.

Really? That happened for a few weeks in December and we have all seen the outcome. What makes you think that things would be any different now if people just give up en masse on complying with the restrictions while not enough of the most vulnerable have been vaccinated? This has been explained to you many times already so is it a case of "let the vulnerable take their chances. Once I have my fun that`s all that matters"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Just wondering.....everyone saying we just need to stick it out for a few more months or whatever.

What would be your deadline to say enough is enough. I can never get a date from people. Like if this goes on until 2023 or 2025. Will you still be saying....if we just obey things will go back to normal.

What would the time be for you to say, ok I feel for the elderly but this is too much.....People will never give a date because, I guess they are deep down afraid to admit that this will likely go on for years

• Advertisement

so is it a case of "let the vulnerable take their chances. Once I have my fun that`s all that matters"?

I think it is a case of I care more about my family than someone elses

Not really about fun if you are struggling financially and having to make choices for your kids others don't have to because the government wont allow you to work.

Really? That happened for a few weeks in December and we have all seen the outcome. What makes you think that things would be any different now if people just give up en masse on complying with the restrictions while not enough of the most vulnerable have been vaccinated? This has been explained to you many times already so is it a case of "let the vulnerable take their chances. Once I have my fun that`s all that matters"?

A bit of personal responsibility, my parents want to see their granddaughter. **** the restrictions they said, more important things in life. I have enough too. Hide away if you want, I personally could not give a **** anymore. I never got covid, nobody I know got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A bit of personal responsibility, my parents want to see their granddaughter. **** the restrictions they said, more important things in life. I have enough too. Hide away if you want, I personally could not give a **** anymore. I never got covid, nobody I know got it.

Can you give us weekly updates on what you’ve gotten up to so we can live our lives vicariously through you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They have to give a little or they will loose the people
    There is no reason not to open click and collect
    Do away with the 5 kms stupid nonsense
    Let us buy our knickers in Dunnes
    Let us meet our family in the garden at very bloody least . We might freeze to death but at least we will have something
    Let us bubble up with one other family and that family only .
    Give us a bloody break now

I have been in 4 Dunnes Stores between yesterday and today (2 in Dublin, one being the big Dunnes upstairs in blanch centre, and 2 outside Dublin)
    All big drapery and household sections.
    All at full trade.
    Selling clothing, adults both men and womens. Childrens clothing and not just essentials. Loads of people buying candles, boots, artificial flowers, mens jumpers etc.
    Doing roaring trade...well you would do when you are the only show in town.
    They did Click and collect all the way after Xmas until they were pulled up by the Irish Times I think it was.
    But as I said, 4 different branches all openly trading while small retailers are going t1ts up.

So much for donning the "Green Jersey".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The frustration that’s in this thread is that we are supposed to have a living with Covid plan. Pushing out restrictions with no firm date isn’t living with Covid, it’s being scared ****less of Covid which isn’t the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watching Question Time on BBC, one of the contributors has said that in the UK once those over 50 and those with underlying conditions between 16 and 50 have been vaccinated that's 99% of the deaths which occurred with Covid vaccinated, we must be in an almost identical position to this.

The big question is when would we hit this target and what excuse can possibly be given to not completely re-open the country at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Have they been vaccinated? BTW what makes you think I am "hiding away"?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Ah, nobody you know got Covid? Good for you. We can safely assume that nobody dies of it then.
    Funnily enough, a neighbour of mine got it. Guess what? She's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Stheno wrote: »
    Interview with MM in the Mirror this evening

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/nine-more-weeks-severe-lockdown-23526450

From the article

That's just meaningless word salad from MM. Uses a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watching Question Time on BBC, one of the contributors has said that in the UK once those over 50 and those with underlying conditions between 16 and 50 have been vaccinated that's 99% of the deaths which occurred with Covid vaccinated, we must be in an almost identical position to this.

The big question is when would we hit this target and what excuse can possibly be given to not completely re-open the country at that stage?

and thus you hit upon the crux of the matter. The UK's late May is our September.

We have suffered from two massive failures (with associated smaller ones of importance) - Michael Martin and the FF mafia deciding we we had to "save Christmas" despite a wealth of evidence to show opening up was destined to have a massive knock on effect in 2021 and the other is the failure of vaccination production for the EU market which means a healthy 60 year old will be vaccinated at some point in late summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

Northern Ireland are going to allow up to 10 people from 2 households meet outdoors in a couple of weeks. That will be a big contrast with our level 5, 5KM stay at home forever approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just wondering.....everyone saying we just need to stick it out for a few more months or whatever.

What would be your deadline to say enough is enough. I can never get a date from people. Like if this goes on until 2023 or 2025. Will you still be saying....if we just obey things will go back to normal.

What would the time be for you to say, ok I feel for the elderly but this is too much.....People will never give a date because, I guess they are deep down afraid to admit that this will likely go on for years

Thing is we don't know. With variants popping up that are more transmissible and worse ones that the vaccine is not as effective on there has to be measure put in place to try and control it and to stop these variants appearing.
    Hopefully with the numbers dropping the hospitals will start opening up outpatient clinics and start doing elective procedures which is a lot more important than Mary getting her hair and nails done.

Stop blaming the elderly, the virus has to be brought into the nursing homes by someone, that includes staff, also can't blame an elderly patient who was not isolated properly when moved to a home either. Doesn't help when staff also won't take the vaccine, was reported by newstalk 36 of 170 staff at 1 home refused the jab.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-over-a-third-of-february-deaths-linked-to-nursing-homes-1.4479497

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I’d imagine we’re fast approaching the point where lockdown genuinely do start to cause more harm than they prevent. How could anyone possibly expect primary school kids to spend more than a year out of classrooms for example? I’m glad I don’t have kids yet because I would be fuming at that situation in particular.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Thing is we don't know. With variants popping up that are more transmissible and worse ones that the vaccine is not as effective on there has to be measure put in place to try and control it and to stop these variants appearing.
    Hopefully with the numbers dropping the hospitals will start opening up outpatient clinics and start doing elective procedures which is a lot more important than Mary getting her hair and nails done.

Stop blaming the elderly, the virus has to be brought into the nursing homes by someone, that includes staff, also can't blame an elderly patient who was not isolated properly when moved to a home either. Doesn't help when staff also won't take the vaccine, was reported by newstalk 36 of 170 staff at 1 home refused the jab.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-over-a-third-of-february-deaths-linked-to-nursing-homes-1.4479497

As I said generally people cannot provide a date when they will say this is enough.

From your response you have confirmed this

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Ah, nobody you know got Covid? Good for you. We can safely assume that nobody dies of it then.
    Funnily enough, a neighbour of mine got it. Guess what? She's dead.

Why would you assume that. Actually what is the point of your post, should we assume everyone that gets covid will die of it going by your neighbour since you made assumptions from my post.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I’d imagine we’re fast approaching the point where lockdown genuinely do start to cause more harm than they prevent. How could anyone possibly expect primary school kids to spend more than a year out of classrooms for example? I’m glad I don’t have kids yet because I would be fuming at that situation in particular.

People who are on the brink of losing their homes and not having their kids educated are being called selfish.

It really is a crazy world

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There is a limit to what people can take. But people felt at their limit in December and then they got a rude awakening and it turns out they can take more after all.

But, I'm being honest, and it's only my experience, people are still by and large putting up with it. Obviously everyone is fed up at some level, but Boards is the only place I come across this level of frustration. It is a place that is built for people to vent and what you read here gives a skewed opinion on how society as a whole is reacting to things.

Of course there's loads of depression and negativity - why wouldn't there be, given what is happening - out there as well, but, all things considered and on balance, I'm often struck by how resilient society is in the face of this.

Reddit Ireland has been incredibly pro-lockdown this entire time - look at the most recent threads, the tune has changed massively. I think opinion is changing and will continue to do so.

Most people aren't outwardly campaigning for less restrictions, they're just quietly meeting friends instead.

Have they been vaccinated? BTW what makes you think I am "hiding away"?

Nope they haven't. Be a long while too I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

It is very clear that NPHET and the government have no plan other than indefinite lockdown.

They have spent the first 6 weeks of this year telling people that vaccination will not be the way out of this, telling people about Christmas restrictions and restrictions well into 2022.

They now have the bright, shiny new buzzword "variant" to keep their grip of fear on people - at a time where global Covid cases are dropping at an unforseen rate.

When you defer the running of the country to NPHET - a body solely tasked with Covid prevention, you condemn the rest of the issues in this country and the people who are dealing with them. This government is the most disgraceful shower I have ever seen in my lifetime and the briefing of this to the Daily Mirror which was released at 10pm is the most slimey act I can remember from a reprehensible coward.

9 more weeks of Level 5? They can shove that where the sun doesn't shine. Restrictions will only end through non-compliance at this point. Vaccines don't end them, case reduction don't end them, leaving winter doesn't end them. I'm done anyway, hopefully people start trying to live a bit again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Id like to get people's answer on this as well. From the scientist to the leading heath care professionals. At which point do you believe we've achieved enough?

From the very start there has been two reasons continually given for the justification of harsh restrictions with mid to low case numbers. Protect the health service from being overloaded in case if a surge. And protect the most vunerable.

The health service coped with 6k countrywide cases a day. Obviously it was a complete scramble but it did survive. It has proven it can handle numbers such as last Autumn (500-1k per day) comfortably. If that's proven its ability, and the over 65s and most vunerable are all vaccinated by say June, then what justification do people have for any further restrictions whatsoever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement