Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For me the depressing thing isn't that January/february are a write-off (that was pretty well signposted). It's that they're already softening us up for a sh!tty christmas when it's nearly a year away.

Maybe, I think nobody knows the year will pan out. An individual has to take it one week at a time to avoid despair I think. I don't look any further than a month myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Tomorrow on RTE:
    -A new Sri Lankan Varient is discovered. 10 times more viral than anything we've seen before...
    -Why normal life may never be the same again?
    -Is 5km too much? Phillip Nolan tells us why
    -Blanaith Ní Coffaigh gets a new RTE contract
    -Vaccine Factory suffers massive fire.
    -The latest on house prices
    -The Weather
    I was managing up to the last item ......... ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

I have to say I thought I have low points throughout this whole mess but today with that woeful bunch of fu*k nuts taking away any hope, any ray of light spouting nothing but doom and gloom I just give up. What is the point anymore?

You can't travel, can't see family and friends, can't work, can't walk somewhere by yourself outside of 5k. I cannot walk around where I live anymore, its all grey, parks are packed and sometimes just not a place I want to be. They are grim sometimes, rubbish and roaming gangs of feral gremlins both young and old. The n'er do wells from a few doors up with their awful kids in the park smoking weed and drinking being their utter scummy selves. There is no space, urban areas that have a high population is forcing more people to spend time in a confined area. The thoughts of walking along the footpaths with traffic speeding past no wide open spaces to just walk and be alone is crushing.

Looking at a bank balance that gets smaller each week as bills have to be paid, trying to save a bit only for it to be wiped out once the utility bills come in. There is no joy left and then they say that even with vaccinations we will still be restricted.

And then that utter cretin Donnelly spouts that god awful word vomit. They are so out of touch, so untouched by the lives they have confined us to it would be laughable if it wasn't so depressing. If they spout any more of that drivel about us being together I will scream. Like another poster said (on either this or the restrictions thread) I actually tell my radio to fu*k off when it says Covid is still a problem. I turn the radio off. I have stopped watching RTE and am staying away from that other doom loving site The Journal.

They have utterly broken me tonight. There is just nothing to look forward to or hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Of course the restrictions will be lifted once herd immunity is confirmed. Everything will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

26-01-2021-p1.jpg
    26-01-2021-p2.jpg
    26-01-2021-p3.jpg
    26-01-2021-p4.jpg
    26-01-2021-p5.jpg
    26-01-2021-p6.jpg
    26-01-2021-p7.jpg
    Testing data modified on HUB for the previous 3-4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

UK passed 100k deaths today. 0.0015% of the population. For every 667 who are in the UK, one has died of covid.

We passed 3k, 0.0006% of the pop. For every 1633 people there are in Ireland, one has died of covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

banksy-there-is-always-hope-2-e1498011698708.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, while I'm not delightedly happy or anything and realise the road ahead will be long and bumpy, I'm relatively relieved to see case numbers creep below 1000 again for the first time.

Relative to where we were even a fortnight ago that's great progress. I thought at one stage that cases at 1600 - 2000 a day by the end of January would be doing amazingly well.

I think people who are depressed today based on what the government said in the presser are partially depressed because they have unrealistic expectations, to be blunt about it. The government was never going to change course during January - February. There's no point having unrealistic expectations that can't be met.

The people depressed about the government's comments today aren't talking about January or February, it was the December comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

For me the depressing thing isn't that January/february are a write-off (that was pretty well signposted). It's that they're already softening us up for a sh!tty christmas when it's nearly a year away.

Alot will change when that comes around. The vaccines were only approved in December and theirs no evidence they wont work against new variants. Its best to follow other countries in Europe. We are very likely to follow them tbh. Drugs are being developed too to treat this virus.

Colchicine reduces the risk of COVID-19-related complications

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1354129134134288384

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

AdamD wrote: »
    The people depressed about the government's comments today aren't talking about January or February, it was the December comment...

And there was absolutely no need for it . They tell us ad nauseum that they cannot predict the virus but suddenly can move till next December and predict that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Briefing Vs Confirmed Numbers
    daily-report-26-01-2021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Even with vaccine it will be a phased approach to see how the immunity works out. Not seeing normalcy until after summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

They have utterly broken me tonight. There is just nothing to look forward to or hope for.

It's rotten Captain P. Try to keep the head. Take a prolonged break from news/social media. This wave is harder because we know how far away we are from the end... but it is in sight. Hope you feel a bit better soon and try not to let it get on top of you all the time. I said to my husband yesterday that I feel like I need to do some primal scream therapy. (Watch out if you live near the Pope's Cross because I might be up there going full Kate Bush any day now). Trapped inside trying to work and educate 2 reluctant man-children. It's so draining. The thoughts of 5 more weeks (minimum) is making my teeth itch but fingers crossed this is the last push. You're not alone x

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

UK passed 100k deaths today. 0.0015% of the population. For every 667 who are in the UK, one has died of covid.

We passed 3k, 0.0006% of the pop. For every 1633 people there are in Ireland, one has died of covid.

Absolutely tiny numbers in fairness in terms of a global pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

AdamD wrote: »

When you tell everyone for the guts of a year, that we need to wait for a vaccine - we need some form of restrictions until the vaccine comes, once the vaccine comes this will all be over.

Then you say even if the entire population is vaccinated, we will still have restrictions?!?

Then you say that you think Covid could be around forever.
    Varadkar today - If you're serious about elimination and you're serious about Covid being zero, surely it would go on for a couple of years, and maybe indefinitely, because it's now all around the world… if you can seal your country off entirely, when do you ever unseal?"

Then you say, you are worried about new variants which might not even have developed yet. Which if Covid is going to be around for a few years, then you are going to be waiting around under restrictions just waiting for this new variant.

We have now established that not only do reduced cases and deaths mean nothing in the context of a return to normality, we have now established that a fully vaccinated population means nothing in the context of a return to normality.

With that knowledge, how could anybody be even the slightest bit positive this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

niallo27 wrote: »

Absolutely tiny numbers after massive restrictions to slow down the spread of the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Renjit wrote: »
    Even with vaccine it will be a phased approach to see how the immunity works out. Not seeing normalcy until after summer.

Forget about Summer. They mentioned that Christmas 2021 could see restrictions and they then raised the possibility of Covid being around for years or indefinitely - while simultaneously inferring that they will need to keep restrictions because of the possibility of new variants.

And if the virus is around for as long as they have predicted, of course new variants will emerge!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

[QUOTE=Coybig_;116060550

With that knowledge, how could anybody be even the slightest bit positive this evening?[/QUOTE]

Well what do you think happens when an entire population becomes pissed off and loses hope?
    One man and his government cannot ever govern unless they have the backing of the people...if the people decide they don't want it anymore..then it will be no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Coybig_ wrote: »
    We have now established that not only do reduced cases and deaths mean nothing in the context of a return to normality, we have now established that a fully vaccinated population means nothing in the context of a return to normality.

Keep an eye on Israel. I would say they are aggressively vaccinating for a reason and not just to continue with everlasting restrictions. I would pay far more attention to what they are doing rather than what the Irish government are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Forget about Summer. They mentioned that Christmas 2021 could see restrictions and they then raised the possibility of Covid being around for years or indefinitely - while simultaneously inferring that they will need to keep restrictions because of the possibility of new variants.

And if the virus is around for as long as they have predicted, of course new variants will emerge!

You really think the government or Varadkar know what they're going to do in March never mind December ?

How about earlier in the press briefing when he said about having enough of the critical mass vaccinated that you then deal with covid like we do other virus, he even referenced like the flu. That would be the opposite of the end if the briefing, it flips both sides but yet here we are focusing on the later.

And yes there's every chance probably a high one that covid is an endemic, then what, well with vaccination there comes an acceptable level of cases, reduced severity and on early data from Israel fingers crossed reduced transmission.

Take what was said today with a large pinch of salt with regards to forward predictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You really think the government or Varadkar know what they're going to do in March never mind December ?

How about earlier in the press briefing when he said about having enough of the critical mass vaccinated that you then deal with covid like we do other virus, he even referenced like the flu. That would be the opposite of the end if the briefing, it flips both sides but yet here we are focusing on the later.

And yes there's every chance probably a high one that covid is an endemic, then what, well with vaccination there comes an acceptable level of cases.

Take what was said today with a large pinch of salt with regards to forward predictions

Thank you . I always read your posts with interest and I am relieved to read your take on it . I thought the very same when he mentioned 11 months away , they haven’t a clue about March never mind bloody December

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Of course the restrictions will be lifted once herd immunity is confirmed. Everything will be OK.

You would want to be very naive to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Gardaí temporarily attached to Store Street Station on #OperationFanacht stopped a disqualified driver at Dublin Port heading to France on holidays. No driving licence, no insurance. Van seized, driver arrested. #StayHomeStaySafe #HoldFirm https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1354160936123326465/photo/1

If you are going to break restrictions it’s probably best not to break (at least) 3 actual laws at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you . I always read your posts with interest and I am relieved to read your take on it . I thought the very same when he mentioned 11 months away , they haven’t a clue about March never mind bloody December

I just don't think there's any point in giving air time nor focusing on these remarks.

If you'd have asked him or any other politician for their prediction in November it probably wouldn't be the situation we're in now.

Things change, the situation changes quickly, for example the drop in cases I think we all thought would come, quite surprising at the rate its dropping at & long may it continue, but yeah they've no idea what they do come the first week in March never mind December

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Renjit wrote: »

I would see a degree of normalcy in May. Things will change - numbers will be down, days brighter, outside eating an option, vaccinations protecting the most vulnerable, hospital cases down. The zero Coviders will be back muttering under the breadth...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

niallo27 wrote: »

It's actually 0.15% only out by a factory of 100.
    I wonder has there been any updates on the mortality rate since the start of the pandemic?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Those percentages are massively wrong. You keep forgetting to multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

UK: 100,000 / 65,000,000 * 100 = 0.15%
    Ireland: 3,000 / 5,000,000 * 100 = 0.06%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

These are the guys making the rules now.

So taking them with a pinch of salt is an unusual statement when they ultimately will decide.

In fact they are usually very measured with predictions so they maintain buy in, and extend them later

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

100k is 0.15% of the UK population, not 0.0015%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

jackboy wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Israel. I would say they are aggressively vaccinating for a reason and not just to continue with everlasting restrictions. I would pay far more attention to what they are doing rather than what the Irish government are saying.

Gain herd immunity quickly and close the borders

What else would they be doing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement