Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All other parties would have acted in exactly the same manner.

They are basically all competing with one another for who can offer the most restrictions.
    I wonder might the mood music have been different had Leo carried on? He is more open to easing things as soon as possible. Martin is ultra-cautious and there are probably quite a few at the Cabinet table of the same mind. He's also back to communicating badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

shamco wrote: »
    We didnt vote them in in the first place. It was just the vagaries of the system that allowed a leader of the party that came third in the poll to become taoiseach

you mean just first preferences?

Because that's not how our electoral system works. and to even suggest they weren't voted in is nothing more than shinner bob bs

The party with the most seats is the party with the current taoiseach

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'm not against restrictions so that's not why I am angry, but blanket restrictions that get prolonged without communication is why I want a new government in power.

If all the parties would have done the exact same thing then screw it, we need new parties to run.

Once all over 65s are vaccinated (92% of all deaths), people should take to the streets if restrictions are not eased in some reasonable manner.

Society needs to re-evaluate its relationship with risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

is_that_so wrote: »
    I wonder might the mood music have been different had Leo carried on? He is more open to easing things as soon as possible. Martin is ultra-cautious and there are probably quite a few at the Cabinet table of the same mind.

I wonder is Micheal just being overly cautious now, given the total mess they made over Christmas. I'd imagine even some of NPHET are kinda going, "ehhhhh" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For want of a better term, Ireland already had a mental health epidemic pre covid. With everything the pandemic has created it seems a pipe dream to hope that the situation wouldn't have deteriorated.

That said many people are making things worse for themselves by seeking out echo chambers that revel in misery rather than proactively support one another and adopt techniques to mitigate impact as much as possible. Far easier said than done I know. Thing is if you know anyone suffering extremely mentally be wary of what circle's they're getting involved in.

It's ok to not be ok. Getting the right type of support really matters though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,973 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No, everyone should be done on day 1, even if we don't have the supply yet

Is 3 weeks actually 6 weeks?

People on here are saying their Parents or Grand Parents don't have an appointment for their vaccine until 3 weeks away - which would mean they are further away from a second dose.

So it isn't 3 weeks for the over 85s to be vaccinated, it is 3 weeks for them to recieve half a vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

The outdoor restrictions have to go. They have to. Think back to last year and the chats in the front gardens over the hedge, the walks with friends etc. Technically none of that is allowed in level 5. None. Those were the things that made extended lockdowns bearable.

I’m no covid denier and I have supported pretty much everything thus far but I would LOVE to see the science that says that outdoor transmission with two meter social distancing is common. I have not read it

‘No social or family gatherings should take place in other settings.’
    This is level five. You cannot do this to people for months on end. It is outrageous

Turtwig wrote: »
    For want of a better term, Ireland already had a mental health epidemic pre covid. With everything the pandemic has created it seems a pipe dream to hope that the situation wouldn't have deteriorated.

That said many people are making things worse for themselves by seeking out echo chambers that revel in misery rather than proactively support one another and adopt techniques to mitigate impact as much as possible. Far easier said than done I know. Thing is if you know anyone suffering extremely mentally be wary of what circle's they're getting involved in.

It's ok to not be ok.

100% agreed. I'm usually happy clappy in the vaccine thread, but came here to rant. Not my usual hangout :)

Hospitals down to 754 and ICU much the same at 151.

People With Fresh Looking Haircuts Can Now Be Detained And Questioned For 24 Hours

http://irelandoncraic.com/fresh-looking-haircuts/

:pac:

• Advertisement

Just an observation. The interview with MM in the mirror was not an announcement of 9 more weeks at current levels, it was a heads up, in an interview, that a high level of restrictions, not necessarily todays level of restrictions, may need to remain in place until May. Was there something else revealed that I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Martin is ultra-cautious

He's paralysed by indecision and self doubt. He is a weak man. He's also a coward for doing that Mirror interview. He's literally everything you DON'T want in a leader during a crisis.

Just an observation. The interview with MM in the mirror was not an announcement of 9 more weeks at current levels, it was a heads up, in an interview, that a high level of restrictions, not necessarily todays level of restrictions, may need to remain in place until May. Was there something else revealed that I missed?
    It's the cack-handed, late night delivery of said communication that bothers people and it's a pretty reasonable assumption that if he's thinking it, it is quite likely to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

leaks from cabinet, outside of that interview, saying late april

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It's all this spinning in circles that is very distracting. We need to see this new plan to understand what severe now means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

I get a sense that the tide against the restrictions is about to smash to pieces.people have had enough now and it’s the constant no hope message from saint Tony and the government plus the zero Covid fantatics despite vaccines being put into arms.
    People need to stop watching and clicking on the paper’s websites that are churning out this doom and gloom.
    I’m in no way a person who would break the law but the point of no return is almost there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do you think this is the way it should be communicated to the populace?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

This is a continuation of a pattern of leaks and hinting that seem to be aimed at priming people for an announcement to come. Something like "let people get angry/upset slowly over a couple of days instead of all at once when we finally make it official." Like a pressure cooker, release the steam slowly - if you do it all at once, it explodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It's the cack-handed, late night delivery of said communication that bothers people and it's a pretty reasonable assumption that if he's thinking it, it is quite likely to be the case.

Yes, its also the now familiar strategy - "lets throw this out to the public and gauge reaction so we don't commit political suicide".

All this done at the expense of nations anxiety, treating the general public like lab mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

He said 'severe' restrictions for 9 more weeks. What do you think that means?

And he even mentioned June a few times when asked about barbers - his thinking here is clear as day. May/June is the when we might get a sliver of restrictions reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I actually cannot believe Martin has announced another 9 weeks of lockdown via the Mirror. Not enough is being made of this. Utterly shameful act. Zero consideration for people’s mental health.

9 more weeks of this. I cannot live like this for 9 more weeks. How our gov handled this will be seen as a tragedy in the history books.

All for a meaningful Christmas? Anyone for zero covid? Oh no wait, we can't. Sure we might as well continue on with the same restrictions for the rest of the year.

It's a highly toxic combination.

On the one hand, we have Chairman Holohan who exerts the real power here. Yet he is presumably paralyzed in fear over his role in the cervical check crisis. If he were to underplay the COVID crisis by encouraging the easement of restrictions, he again would be given the blame if anything were to go wrong. So it is in his personal interests, out of fear presumably, that these grotesque levels of restriction stay in place. Then no catastrophe could happen and he can't be accused of underplaying the virus.

Then we have the politicians, headed by spineless Michael Martin, who is terrified to take responsibility for any action - so he defers that decision back to Chairman Holohan who, as we have seen above, can only recommended the severest possible form of restriction. And after what happened re: Christmas, there is no chance Martin will make the same mistake again.

So we have this mutual paralysis going on, where both sides are effectively afraid to act otherwise. And as a consequence, Ireland is now one of the strictest countries for restrictions on the planet - and it's set to be extended for another 9-weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

It bothers you, not all people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Elessar wrote: »
    He said 'severe' restrictions for 9 more weeks. What do you think that means?

And he even mentioned June a few times when asked about barbers - his thinking here is clear as day. May/June is the when we might get a sliver of restrictions reduced.

'Severe' only applies to the general population.

The main two rules are

1. The people making the decisions will not have any reduction in the income
    2. The people making decisions can do whatever they want as long as they don't get caught and if they do get caught just say you regret making a mistake and move on to collect your salary as per usual

Dubit11 wrote: »
    It bothers you, not all people.

It's bothering a lot of people going by social media - boards, reddit, twitter, instagram.

I know social media != real life but every person I know is fed up with how it's been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The comparisons of this virus to war are just completely mad.

50K young men dead in a single day to gain a couple of miles of ground that they would lose back over the following few days - Imagine twitter or the boards threads for that or dare I say it George Lee on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Turtwig wrote: »

It's ok to not be ok. Getting the right type of support really matters though.

But there is no support right now. Everything is either on hold, online, or over subscribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyone for zero covid?

No and the reasons have been explained to you and others on multiple occasions.

bennyl10 wrote: »

I dont believe however that any reports said there would be zero reductions in restriction, just kind of not to expect wide ranging reductions?

• Advertisement

It's a highly toxic combination.

On the one hand, we have Chairman Holohan who exerts the real power here. Yet he is presumably paralyzed in fear over his role in the cervical check crisis. If he were to underplay the COVID crisis by encouraging the easement of restrictions, he again would be given the blame if anything were to go wrong. So it is in his personal interests, out of fear presumably, that these grotesque levels of restriction stay in place. Then no catastrophe could happen and he can't be accused of underplaying the virus.

Then we have the politicians, headed by spineless Michael Martin, who is terrified to take responsibility for any action - so he defers that decision back to Chairman Holohan who, as we have seen above, can only recommended the severest possible form of restriction. And after what happened re: Christmas, there is no chance Martin will make the same mistake again.

So we have this mutual paralysis going on, where both sides are effectively afraid to act otherwise. And as a consequence, Ireland is now one of the strictest countries for restrictions on the planet - and it's set to be extended for another 9-weeks.

very good observation and unfortunately its true. MM is completely spineless. Say what you like about Boris Johnston but at least he has the courage of his convictions. He is decisive and that's something I admire. UK are playing a blinder!

I wonder how Enda Kenny would have handled this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement