Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

No and the reasons have been explained to you and others on multiple occasions.

Ah sure, we all know that you want us like this with constant restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The outdoor restrictions have to go. They have to. Think back to last year and the chats in the front gardens over the hedge, the walks with friends etc. Technically none of that is allowed in level 5. None. Those were the things that made extended lockdowns bearable.

I’m no covid denier and I have supported pretty much everything thus far but I would LOVE to see the science that says that outdoor transmission with two meter social distancing is common. I have not read it

‘No social or family gatherings should take place in other settings.’
    This is level five. You cannot do this to people for months on end. It is outrageous

According to the latest leaks in the papers Tony & NPHET aren't comfortable with people meeting up outdoors

God knows why but sure once NPHET decides something that's it

They're calling all the shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Idiotic post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I dont believe however that any reports said there would be zero reductions in restriction, just kind of not to expect wide ranging reductions?

Basically the leaks are saying phased reopening of schools and then construction until late April or early May

I'd believe early May as that's after a Bank holiday

It's really SFA if you don't have children or don't work in construction

Martin was even speculating about hairdressers being open in June as he purposefully said end of quarter 2

6 months without a proper haircut

Hairdressers reopening in Germany on March 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's paralysed by indecision and self doubt. He is a weak man. He's also a coward for doing that Mirror interview. He's literally everything you DON'T want in a leader during a crisis.
    He's every bit as bad as his predecessor. Mary Lou would be worse again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This will be grand lads, sure its only 3 weeks until

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

And sure then after that its only 6 weeks of

Sad-Pablo-Escobar.jpg

Do you think this is the way it should be communicated to the populace?

See, I suppose when you you dont expect a Fianna Fail taoiseach or minister to be able to deliver a coherent message, you dont get angry when they deliver garbled messages. Its like when you leave a two year old alone with markers, don't be surprised when the wall is all scribbles.
    The best thing to do is ignore anything that doesn't come from an official announcement. There have been a myriad of kites flown that never have seen the light of day

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dubit11 wrote: »
    It bothers you, not all people.
    It bothers most people.

It's not just the leaks, it's the throwaway comments. The members of government who have neither the expertise or insight making vague references to "ah sure we might never open up at all", the leaks from private member's Zoom meetings about some throwaway comment the Taoiseach made.

People have no idea what the "official" communication is. Everything is being reported by the media as likely outcomes, warnings, concerns. So desperate to remain relevant, journalists are reporting idle gossip as fact, and so desperate for new information, the public are listening to it.

The politicians have a responsibility here to stop speculating. Stop making throwaway remarks. It's OK to say, "I don't know, I'm not the Minister for Health" or, "It's too early to say with any certainty and I don't want to speculate and cause false hope or concern". But no, they keep yammering on.

Over the last month, it's been randomly suggested in the media that level 5 may persist to September, or June, or August, or April, or probably May. Or perhaps even into 2022.

If they want to frustrate people to the point that they give up and just forget about public health measures, then they're doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

very good observation and unfortunately its true. MM is completely spineless. Say what you like about Boris Johnston but at least he has the courage of his convictions. He is decisive and that's something I admire. UK are playing a blinder!

I wonder how Enda Kenny would have handled this?

I don't know about this Boris Johnston character, but the UK Prime Minister has overseen one of the worst death rates and economic performances in the world, mostly due to his own laissez faire attitude to suppressing the virus.

Whatever about our clown show, copying the UK is not an option. Living with covid has been a failure everywhere on earth, the only livable choice is suppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Basically the leaks are saying phased reopening of schools and then construction until late April or early May

I'd believe early May as that's after a Bank holiday

It's really SFA if you don't have children or don't work in construction

Martin was even speculating about hairdressers being open in June as he purposefully said end of quarter 2

6 months without a proper haircut

Hairdressers reopening in Germany on March 1st

Germany have been in lockdown for quite a bit longer than us. They've all but closed their borders to numerous neighbouring countries to keep variants out.

That's the price you have to pay for a haircut these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dubit11 wrote: »
    It bothers you, not all people.
    It actually doesn't. I am unsurprised as it's been the same low standard for much of the life of this government. I am giving my opinion of it. You can disagree.

Multipass wrote: »
    But there is no support right now. Everything is either on hold, online, or over subscribed.

The "Just talk to someone" bit is getting so old now.

Especially if it couched in a way that its to stop people getting into "echo chambers" and engaging in wrongthink. Its vile.

very good observation and unfortunately its true. MM is completely spineless. Say what you like about Boris Johnston but at least he has the courage of his convictions. He is decisive and that's something I admire. UK are playing a blinder!

Boris Johnson dithered multiple times, resisting implementing restrictions until it got to the point where they had to lock the whole country down and tens and tens of thousands of people needlessly died.

He is, by a distance, the least decisive PM I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    According to the latest leaks in the papers Tony & NPHET aren't comfortable with people meeting up outdoors

God knows why but sure once NPHET decides something that's it

They're calling all the shots

I find this really odd . Then you are allowed excercise with one other outdoors so what are they on about now .They can be umcomfortable all they like now people are meeting in gardens and in parks and willl continue to

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Elessar wrote: »
    He said 'severe' restrictions for 9 more weeks. What do you think that means?

And he even mentioned June a few times when asked about barbers - his thinking here is clear as day. May/June is the when we might get a sliver of restrictions reduced.

Al of this has been implied since at least since late December. I don`t get all the outrage about MM`s comments. Noting he stated is surprising in the slightest for anyone who doesn`t have a goldfish memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Germany have been in lockdown for quite a bit longer than us. They've all but closed their borders to numerous neighbouring countries to keep variants out.

That's the price you have to pay for a haircut these days

They haven't though - not since the start of this last March and they will be out of their restrictions long before us (not travel restrictions into and out of the country). Nowhere in the world has had a 5km and don't meet anybody rule in place for close to as long as us. It will be near 7 months with a 3 week gap here by the May bank holiday weekend. And we had it during last Spring as well.

seamus wrote: »
    It bothers most people.

It's not just the leaks, it's the throwaway comments. The members of government who have neither the expertise or insight making vague references to "ah sure we might never open up at all", the leaks from private member's Zoom meetings about some throwaway comment the Taoiseach made.

People have no idea what the "official" communication is. Everything is being reported by the media as likely outcomes, warnings, concerns. So desperate to remain relevant, journalists are reporting idle gossip as fact, and so desperate for new information, the public are listening to it.

The politicians have a responsibility here to stop speculating. Stop making throwaway remarks. It's OK to say, "I don't know, I'm not the Minister for Health" or, "It's too early to say with any certainty and I don't want to speculate and cause false hope or concern". But no, they keep yammering on.

Over the last month, it's been randomly suggested in the media that level 5 may persist to September, or June, or August, or April, or probably May. Or perhaps even into 2022.

If they want to frustrate people to the point that they give up and just forget about public health measures, then they're doing a great job.

They one thing to be said about the FG led Governement in the spring was that al least you had Varadkar, Harris and Coveney coming out with clear consistent messages. Lots of mistakes were made, but the message was clear, which is why people brought into it. Now you just having a myriad of voices briefing and counter briefing, parliamentary party meetings leaking etc etc with a message the is becoming increasingly garbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

An article this morning shows how easy it is to catch Covid. Two families were in quarantine in Australia. They were on opposite sides of a hotel corridor but, because they opened their doors at the same time to take in meals, the virus spread from an infected family to one not infected. No wonder NPHET are cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Jesus no.
    We need fresh blood in politics. We need new trustworthy people who are not beholden to civil war politics from a hundred years ago. Covid is giving us an opportunity to demand a fresh start where government action is dictated based on the good for the vast majority in this country. Looking at the 3 leaders of the current government and tears may develops in your eyes. Looking at the alternative leaders in opposition and you may burst out crying. The country needs and deserves better politicians.
    (I dare to dream).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No and the reasons have been explained to you and others on multiple occasions.
    It's the dream though,and it is possible with the right restrictions out in place as difficult as that may be.
    Imagine being back to having everything open, everybody working, GAA matches, restaurants, pubs, being able to shake hands with people and hug loved ones.
    If everybody bought in to trying to achieve it we could get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It's a highly toxic combination.

On the one hand, we have Chairman Holohan who exerts the real power here. Yet he is presumably paralyzed in fear over his role in the cervical check crisis. If he were to underplay the COVID crisis by encouraging the easement of restrictions, he again would be given the blame if anything were to go wrong. So it is in his personal interests, out of fear presumably, that these grotesque levels of restriction stay in place. Then no catastrophe could happen and he can't be accused of underplaying the virus.

Then we have the politicians, headed by spineless Michael Martin, who is terrified to take responsibility for any action - so he defers that decision back to Chairman Holohan who, as we have seen above, can only recommended the severest possible form of restriction. And after what happened re: Christmas, there is no chance Martin will make the same mistake again.

So we have this mutual paralysis going on, where both sides are effectively afraid to act otherwise. And as a consequence, Ireland is now one of the strictest countries for restrictions on the planet - and it's set to be extended for another 9-weeks.

We also had the opposition out in January with constant attacks against the Government for daring to ‘go against NPHET’. This is a disaster and our opposition seem to want to hide behind NPHET even more than the Government.
    A Government needs to Govern, people are not ok. People will not be ok with the 5km limit for another 9 weeks and that’s the first thing they should lift. It’s just unacceptable.

crossman47 wrote: »
    An article this morning shows how easy it is to catch Covid. Two families were in quarantine in Australia. They were on opposite sides of a hotel corridor but, because they opened their doors at the same time to take in meals, the virus spread from an infected family to one not infected. No wonder NPHET are cautious.

We don't know how honest that statement is though.

They are hardly going to admit talking to each other as much as possible. My guess is that they did, but are underplaying it.

If it were as easy to catch as you suggest, supermarkets would have been closed a long time ago.

batman_oh wrote: »
    They haven't though - not since the start of this last March and they will be out of their restrictions long before us (not travel restrictions into and out of the country). Nowhere in the world has had a 5km rule in place for near as long as us. It will be near 7 months with a 3 week gap here by the May bank holiday weekend. And we had it during last Spring as well.

I have been here, thanks.

I've said it recently, but ranking lockdowns and restrictions is basically impossible. We've undoubtedly had some of the most enduring restrictions on the planet, but we never had a Spain/Italy style STAY THE **** HOME lockdown.

I remember watching the news clips of Spanish kids being allowed outside to play for the first time in two months. I couldn't quite take it in at the time. What a thing to go through.

So as hard as things have been here, there are numerous countries I wouldn't swap with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's the dream though,and it is possible with the right restrictions out in place as difficult as that may be.
    Imagine being back to having everything open, everybody working, GAA matches, restaurants, pubs, being able to shake hands with people and hug loved ones.
    If everybody bought in to trying to achieve it we could get there.

But that's the thing. Zero Covid is a lovely idea, but it's gargantuan of a task. We need 100% society willing to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My friend had covid last month, her boyfriend, who she lives with, shares a bed with, and was having sex with, tested negative 3 times, and never caught it. Such a strange virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

If that's the case, we'd be in a much worse situation than we are right now. I find this story implausible..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

seamus wrote: »
    It bothers most people.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. People are getting the message that there is no end in sight. We all know that the public will be blamed for the lack of compliance to the restrictions. They won’t look at their own poor communication to the public.

The reality is people can only go along with restrictions for so long before they just can’t do it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

It's crap like that NPHET would like us to believe alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You got me, I don't want Zero Covid just to annoy you. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Al of this has been implied since at least since late December. I don`t get all the outrage about MM`s comments. Noting he stated is surprising in the slightest for anyone who doesn`t have a goldfish memory.

There’s a difference between expecting a slow unwinding of restrictions to be told another 9 weeks at the level where you have a 5km exercise limit and aren’t allowed meet anyone socially anywhere at all. Not even click and collect. Five months of that level of restriction is beyond what I had expected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement