Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They one thing to be said about the FG led Governement in the spring was that al least you had Varadkar, Harris and Coveney coming out with clear consistent messages. Lots of mistakes were made, but the message was clear, which is why people brought into it. Now you just having a myriad of voices briefing and counter briefing, parliamentary party meetings leaking etc etc with a message the is becoming increasingly garbled.
    Leo also knew how and when to throw people a bone. Tweaks to distances being allowed. Tweaks to businesses that were allowed to open. Tweaks to the number of people allowed to meet up. Small changes to give people hope without upsetting the health guidance too much.

And the message when asked about "what next and when" was always "we don't know yet, we have to follow the advice from NPHET and make a call closer to the time".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

crossman47 wrote: »
    An article this morning shows how easy it is to catch Covid. Two families were in quarantine in Australia. They were on opposite sides of a hotel corridor but, because they opened their doors at the same time to take in meals, the virus spread from an infected family to one not infected. No wonder NPHET are cautious.

Do you have a link to the article?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    If that's the case, we'd be in a much worse situation than we are right now. I find this story implausible..

Exactly. Made up BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

An article this morning shows how easy it is to catch Covid. Two families were in quarantine in Australia. They were on opposite sides of a hotel corridor but, because they opened their doors at the same time to take in meals, the virus spread from an infected family to one not infected. No wonder NPHET are cautious.

Clearly they were mingling.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

very good observation and unfortunately its true. MM is completely spineless Say what you like about Boris Johnston but at least he has the courage of his convictions. He is decisive and that's something I admire. UK are playing a blinder!

I wonder how Enda Kenny would have handled this?

"Boris Johnson has the courage of his convictions"?:rolleyes: You can`t be serious. The same person who has done countless u- turns over Brexit, Covid and many other issues since he entered politics. Another UK politician had it spot on when he described Johnson as a person who looks to see which way the crowd is heading and then jumps to the head of the queue and shouts "Follow me". "The UK are playing a blinder?":rolleyes:. A country with one of the highest rates of deaths and hospitalisations on the entire planet as a result of people contracting Covid due to the uncontrolled disastrous policies of the Johnson government. You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My friend had covid last month, her boyfriend, who she lives with, shares a bed with, and was having sex with, tested negative 3 times, and never caught it. Such a strange virus.

My wife caught it,myself and my three daughters didn’t,sister in law caught it,her husband didn’t,another sister in law and her son caught it but husband and other son didn’t

Yes a strange highly contagious virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's the dream though,and it is possible with the right restrictions out in place as difficult as that may be.
    Imagine being back to having everything open, everybody working, GAA matches, restaurants, pubs, being able to shake hands with people and hug loved ones.
    If everybody bought in to trying to achieve it we could get there.

You're right it's a dream and that's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I have been here, thanks.

I've said it recently, but ranking lockdowns and restrictions is basically impossible. We've undoubtedly had some of the most enduring restrictions on the planet, but we never had a Spain/Italy style STAY THE **** HOME lockdown.

I remember watching the news clips of Spanish kids being allowed outside to play for the first time in two months. I couldn't quite take it in at the time. What a thing to go through.

So as hard as things have been here, there are numerous countries I wouldn't swap with.

Well I would swap 2 months of that for almost a year of being stuck within 5km unable to meet anybody. They opened up last summer far more than us and are more open now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

One wonders will the public continue to get tested or will numbers drop in order to reduce case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Kivaro wrote: »
    Jesus no.
    We need fresh blood in politics. We need new trustworthy people who are not beholden to civil war politics from a hundred years ago. Covid is giving us an opportunity to demand a fresh start where government action is dictated based on the good for the vast majority in this country. Looking at the 3 leaders of the current government and tears may develops in your eyes. Looking at the alternative leaders in opposition and you may burst out crying. The country needs and deserves better politicians.
    (I dare to dream).

I remember thinking the same after 2007 when our economy collapsed. You would of thought we would learn, here’s me at a younger age when I considered getting into politics:

http://drummer-doyouwantrealchange.blogspot.com/2011/02/ireland-political-reform.html?m=1

The problem isn’t our parties or our politicians or our government, it’s our collective self serving , self absorbed nature that drives us to empower the same kind of people over and over again.

Our society is chronically incapable of stepping back from what each individual wants for the greater good. This thread and our struggles managing COVId is just another example of zero accountability and responsibility taken from the general public to how we have handled it.

Some of the most thanked posts during this pandemic have been ones venting against the government or NEPHET or somebody other then joe public. There is a distinct lack of self reflection and personal responsibility that allows the majority of people to focus their anger on others and absolve themselves of any personal responsibility for the state the country is in or even how they are personally handling things.

If you want political change then the people of Ireland have to change what they value and own up to our responsibility for the state of our country. This and previous government/politicians represent what the majority of the voting Irish believe in and value.

No doubt some people will think they’ve done nothing wrong but we are all responsible for the state we are in and the difficulties we are having. I mean this in the context of people blaming NEPHET and the government for everything. We have all played a role in some capacity, some of it good and some of it bad. When people start accepting their role in a situation only then can they properly address the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

There’s a difference between expecting a slow unwinding of restrictions to be told another 9 weeks at the level where you have a 5km exercise limit and aren’t allowed meet anyone socially anywhere at all. Not even click and collect. Five months of that level of restriction is beyond what I had expected

May 27th 2020. Micheál Martin, had this to say about 5km

On the travel restrictions, Martin said “there is no remaining serious justification for the 5 kilometre limit”.

“The public health concern is how people behave around others – not how far they are from their home. In fact, the research shows that this limit may in fact be forcing people in urban areas into more crowded situations.”

I fail to see the logic in 5k especially in dense urban areas where there can be very little green space to roam and for people to escape to and for children to play in. A lot of the restrictions make me cross but this one really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Getting really sick of this now have booked a few nights away at the end of June but the way things are going i'd say there is a good chance of that not happening.

I wish they would come out and say what the long term plan is to give us some idea of what is going on.

It's obvious that they have given NPHET full reign now and are terrified to go against them.

It's the same as claims here that people caught the virus from surface contact. Dr Lambert claimed patients told him they only brought their groceries into the house from the delivery guy. No contact at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I couldn't find this to read online, can you provide a link to this article?

My first thought is that if both families were in quarantine, they both were at risk of developing covid, one did, one waiting on symptoms. So how can they tell that they didn't pick up the infection before hotel quarantine during their travels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well that is 100% bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My friend had covid last month, her boyfriend, who she lives with, shares a bed with, and was having sex with, tested negative 3 times, and never caught it. Such a strange virus.

Most bizarre one I know of is where a husband got it. The wife didn't. Four months later she did and was actually very sick. Like you'd think when the guy she was sleeping with got it, if she was going to get sick from covid that would be the time?

Only thing about your friends boyfriend I could think of was maybe he got it first and got rid of the virus before any tests were done?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe not "mingling", but it's not as simple as "they opened their doors at the same time". It's too ridiculous, because...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828
    She said one of the positive cases told authorities she remembered opening the door at the same time as someone else on the floor, which was being looked at as a possible source of transmission.
    The woman in the room opposite tested positive on January 28. Her partner has returned negative tests during his stay in the hotel.

The idea that she would catch it from across the hall by having a door open at the same time, but her husband wouldn't catch it from her despite being with her 24/7, is absurd.
    the viral load of one of the family groups was so high, the virus had travelled through the hotel just by the family opening the door to get food or drop off laundry.
    High viral load yet everyone was asymptomatic. None of this fits together as a plausible narrative.

A more reasonable explanation is surface spread - food or supplies coughed on by an infected hotel worker; or mingling. The two families weren't known to each other, but that doesn't mean they didn't take the opportunity to stand in the hallway having a chat.
    And of course, they're not going to admit they did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just an observation. The interview with MM in the mirror was not an announcement of 9 more weeks at current levels, it was a heads up, in an interview, that a high level of restrictions, not necessarily todays level of restrictions, may need to remain in place until May. Was there something else revealed that I missed?

The likelihood of not having access to personal services until the end of Q2. That’s four months away.

He said: “We’ve got to take it in phases, we can not project the full year out, it would be dishonest to try and do that with Covid-19.

“That said, we understand where personal services come in as a sector and that’s something we’d like to be looking at some stage but we do want to get vaccinations done.

“So I think we’ll be looking at all that sometime towards the end of the second quarter, if not before it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

batman_oh wrote: »
    Well I would swap 2 months of that for almost a year of being stuck within 5km unable to meet anybody. They opened up last summer far more than us and are more open now too.

What country are you referring to that has had a year of 5 km travel restrictions implemented? Because it certainly is not Ireland.

• Advertisement

See, I suppose when you you dont expect a Fianna Fail taoiseach or minister to be able to deliver a coherent message, you dont get angry when they deliver garbled messages. Its like when you leave a two year old alone with markers, don't be surprised when the wall is all scribbles.
    The best thing to do is ignore anything that doesn't come from an official announcement. There have been a myriad of kites flown that never have seen the light of day

Good points, noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I heard a story that somebody was walking alone in the countryside. The covid was waiting in the bushes and leapt out at the person as they were walking past. The person gasped at this and the covid rushed down their open mouth and into their lungs. That's why NPHET don't want people going further than 5km from their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The likelihood of not having access to personal services until the end of Q2. That’s four months away.

He said: “We’ve got to take it in phases, we can not project the full year out, it would be dishonest to try and do that with Covid-19.

“That said, we understand where personal services come in as a sector and that’s something we’d like to be looking at some stage but we do want to get vaccinations done.

“So I think we’ll be looking at all that sometime towards the end of the second quarter, if not before it
    .”

Really clears things up that . End of Q2 or before it . Great

What country are you referring to that has had a year of 5 km travel restrictions implemented?. Because it certainly is not Ireland.

Try reading back - I said almost a year if they push the current ones until the May. It was a reply to a previous post.
    We went into them in March last year for 2 months. The 5km came back in October, took a 3 weeks break in December and back in from late December. If it runs until May as suggested that's close to 10 months or shock horror - nearly a year. Note I didn't say a year, I said almost a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

“So I think we’ll be looking at all that sometime towards the end of the second quarter, if not before it.”

My favourite part is how he says it would be dishonest to project, then projects anyway.

He's a buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

He may as well have said sometime this year.
    Talk about mixed messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe not "mingling", but it's not as simple as "they opened their doors at the same time". It's too ridiculous, because...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828

The idea that she would catch it from across the hall by having a door open at the same time, but her husband wouldn't catch it from her despite being with her 24/7, is absurd.

High viral load yet everyone was asymptomatic. None of this fits together as a plausible narrative.

A more reasonable explanation is surface spread - food or supplies coughed on by an infected hotel worker; or mingling. The two families weren't known to each other, but that doesn't mean they didn't take the opportunity to stand in the hallway having a chat.
    And of course, they're not going to admit they did that.

I highly doubt their story. That a story seems ridiculous doesn't mean it is untrue. It should of course be approached with skepticism.

Rhinoviruses can spread in the way described. Who knows maybe this coronavirus virus can too? Only way to confirm it is a challenge trial.

Surface spread imo seems the most unlikely explanation. They probably mingled but there are documented incidences suggesting the virus can spread easily through air flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

I hate the restrictions as much as the next and have called for easing and relaxation of them more than some on this thread but it is useless constantly comparing which country has been in lockdown longer than another when every country has different rules.
    Sure the UK have allowed construction to continue while we're told they are in strict lockdown. They also don't have stupid 5km restrictions.

The chap is a complete waffler. No wonder people don't know if they're coming or going.

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    I hate the restrictions as much as the next and have called for easing and relaxation of them more than some on this thread but it is useless constantly comparing which country has been in lockdown longer than another when every country has different rules.
    Sure the UK have allowed construction to continue while we're told they are in strict lockdown. They also don't have stupid 5km restrictions.

Agreed on this - it's the length that we have had the 5km and don't meet anybody restriction that is basically unparalleled in the world! If it goes on until May it's an absolute joke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement