Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am not an anxious person normally and can get on with things and try to see the positive .I find my anxiety levels rising day by day now .This uncertainty , leaks , different messages and MM going to the Mirror late at night I am finding really stressful
    I am not alone , I am chatting to people feeling the same and getting upset easily and crying . I miss my daughter in the UK , she misses us and I have learned to cope with it .But I cant seem to be able to cope with the mixed messages and leaks and dithering and TDs giving us no hope , no light , nothing to look forward to
    Have they any idea what this is doing to us as a people , No I guess they dont actually becuase everyone I know is not struggling to a greater or lesser degree and this announcement has knocked them for six

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

We don't know how honest that statement is though.

They are hardly going to admit talking to each other as much as possible. My guess is that they did, but are underplaying it.

If it were as easy to catch as you suggest, supermarkets would have been closed a long time ago.

Supermarkets are well ventilated, a lot of hotels are practically airless.

Having said that, I do think this should be taken with a pinch of salt. But also I'm not a big fan of 'Ha! I bet they're lying about how much contact they had with others' - it's a bit victim-blamey, as much as they might seem like an anonymous person to project fears/arguments of the virus on to.

There have been plenty of documented cases of people picking up the virus despite minimal contact with the outside world. We know that not all of these people are lying.

My theory is toilet water aerosols etc - how come people stopped talking about that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Arghus wrote: »
    I

I do struggle to pay my bills, my hours have been cut, my employment opportunities have been put on hold. I'd actually be financially better off on the PUP.

How are your kids handling this? Do you think the lockdown is damaging their development?

Are you worried about being able to provide for them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am not an anxious person normally and can get on with things and try to see the positive .I find my anxiety levels rising day by day now .This uncertainty , leaks , different messages and MM going to the Mirror late at night I am finding really stressful
    I am not alone , I am chatting to people feeling the same and getting upset easily and crying . I miss my daughter in the UK , she misses us and I have learned to cope with it .But I cant seem to be able to cope with the mixed messages and leaks and dithering and TDs giving us no hope , no light , nothing to look forward to
    Have they any idea what this is doing to us as a people , No I guess they dont actually becuase everyone I know is not struggling to a greater or lesser degree and this announcement has knocked them for six

I feel the exact same. I wouldn’t be an anxious person normally but went to bed last night feeling extremely panicked and could not sleep. I swear I have an actual reaction to seeing Micheál on the tv at this stage because I just know it’s going to be bad news. I just can’t believe how little they care about how fragile people are right now. It feels very suffocating and oppressive. Micheál needs to answer questions about how on earth he thought giving that news to the mirror was appropriate

I miss my daughter in the UK , she misses us and I have learned to cope with it

Why don't you get up to Belfast and fly over to Britain to see your daughter?

• Advertisement

Why don't you get up to Belfast and fly over to Britain to see your daughter?

Because I would not fly into London at the minute to be honest with you .Nor would I travel to Belfast , nor would I stay in a hotel .I would consider going beyond 5kms or meeting in a garden with a friend but I sure am not driving to Blefast and flying into the UK during a pandemic .

And by the way, these stupid bi-weekly NPHET press conferences are getting ridiculous at this stage. They don't happen in most parts of Europe, that's for certain.

Very few countries in the world hold bi-weekly press conferences such as this; an inerrant broadcast from the holy triumvirate of Holohan, Nolan, and Glynn.

Dopey questions from even dopier journalists.

NPHET has become the medical equivalent of the troika.

Reinforcing unnecessary fear and dread and abject misery onto the population.

I'm the same. All I could do yesterday was cry, this was before the latest news! I was out for a walk on my normal quiet country road and my eyes just kept filling up with tears. I couldn't even put my finger on it except its a kind of constant sadness/frustration. Its like a lump in my chest. I miss company and friends. I miss looking forward to things. Now another 9 weeks just tagged on like that........its hard to put into words anymore what this is doing to people.

(whenever I hear Stephen Donnelly's condescending voice telling us we need to do more and "we're not there yet", I feel like screaming!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The way the country is currently run is

Supreme Overlords NPHET inform the Government and Media of what they want.

Elected Government put together a plan and run it by the media to see if it is acceptable to them and NPHET.

The media decide if it is sufficient enough. If No, Government redesign plan and inform the Media again. If Yes, The Media the inform the public.

Although I'm starting to think the Media may be the supreme overlords and not NPHET.

Either way, we're always the last to know and have the least influence on the decision making.

Because I would not fly into London at the minute to be honest with you .Nor would I travel to Belfast , nor would I stay in a hotel .I would consider going beyond 5kms or meeting in a garden with a friend but I sure am not driving to Blefast and flying into the UK during a pandemic .

Yes, I see this a lot. The fear of the government is a bigger worry than the fear of the virus.

That's really where we are.

I have a friend who has flown to Central America from Heathrow over Christmas and he is going again in a few months.

If you want to see your daughter, just go.

• Advertisement

(whenever I hear Stephen Donnelly's condescending voice telling us we need to do more and "we're not there yet", I feel like screaming!)

I'm absolutely convinced that Stephen Donnelly is wound-up at the back each morning at 6.45am to mechanically repeat the phrase, "We're not there yet", every 45-minutes as he navigates the empty streets and dark alleys of Dublin for the remainder of his day.

Yes, I see this a lot. The fear of the government is a bigger worry than the fear of the virus.

I have a friend who has flown to Central America from Heathrow over Christmas and he is going again in a few months.

No , I wont go , nor would she want me too. I will wait for my vaccine thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I think today is the beginning of the end of restriction compliance.

I'll wear my mask in public, sanitize while entering any business and try to keep my distance then queuing up but anything else won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I don't think you should be telling people what to do when it comes to their safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s the complete ****show in terms of communication that is the most frustrating to me. I mean how in the name of Christ can Michael Martin give an interview to a newspaper and then more or less the same time Eamonn Ryan(who’s meant to be part of this government) is giving a less than clear message. And In a dept like health where there have been some utter beauties as minister, Stephen Donnelly leaves them in his wake. I know FG got some political capital from how they handled the initial pandemic(although that may be gone or dwindling at this stage) but it seems FF as lead party are actively going out of their way to fund this up. Communication and messaging are meant be a politicians bread and butter and FF in particular through the Taoiseach and minster for health and making an utter balls of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Because I would not fly into London at the minute to be honest with you. Nor would I travel to Belfast, nor would I stay in a hotel. I would consider going beyond 5 kms or meeting in a garden with a friend but I sure am not driving to Belfast and flying into the UK during a pandemic.

The fact that the poster you replied to can`t grasp this simple fact speaks volumes about his/her mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They need to wheel out the leak and get him to recite some lord of the rings poems,to comfort and reassure the nation.

Anything to be said for another half arsed lockdown?
    What a fcukin time to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Its a very common viewpoint sadly. "I've made a personal decision to ignore the grey areas and complexities of life caused by things mass unemployment and degradation of mental health. People struggling are a burden and an inconvenience to me...so everyone should follow my lead because its the path of least resistance."

Its the fine gael philiosophy.

MarkY91 wrote: »

I'll wear my mask in public, sanitize while entering any business and try to keep my distance then queuing up but anything else won't be happening.

Most masks are not fit for purpose according to the National Standards Authority
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40097717.html

Social distancing needs to be 20ft to 30ft
    https://www.businessinsider.com/6-foot-distancing-rule-is-outdated-oxford-mit-new-system-2020-8?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

MarkY91 wrote: »

Same, I’m off for a walk somewhere nice.
    I refuse to think about kilometres any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Multipass wrote: »
    Same, I’m off for a walk somewhere nice.
    I refuse to think about kilometres any more.

Will that be the line you come up with if you meet any Gardai on your nice walk? They will be quick to remind you of the 5km limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Will that be the line you come up with if you meet any Gardai on your nice walk? They will be quick to remind you of the 5km limit.

My arse they will. I have grocery bags and a local address. The country guards around here aren’t pushed anyway, it’s almost like they’re embarrassed at enforcing this rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

The outdoor restrictions have to go. They have to. Think back to last year and the chats in the front gardens over the hedge, the walks with friends etc. Technically none of that is allowed in level 5. None. Those were the things that made extended lockdowns bearable.

I’m no covid denier and I have supported pretty much everything thus far but I would LOVE to see the science that says that outdoor transmission with two meter social distancing is common. I have not read it

‘No social or family gatherings should take place in other settings.’
    This is level five. You cannot do this to people for months on end. It is outrageous

It isnt common, it is a very minimal risk. I've supported these lockdowns from the start but have had enough, you dont get endless opportunities to impose this stuff on a free society. People can argue the rights and wrongs of that all they like, but for me its a fact. A free society simply wont tolerate or adhere to this stuff multiple times over, especially when they see it didnt work in previous attempts, added to the fact that the people imposing it clearly have no other plan beyond hope the vaccine bails them out. We got the numbers down to more or less nothing in the summer of 2020, put money and infrastructure into a serious containment and test, trace and isolate strategy at that point, and I am convinced we could have been living in relative normality at least til christmas when perhaps another lockdown would be needed to prevent another mass outbreak. But the lobbyists and media cheerleaders werent having any of that. I think we had a chance to have a version of zero coivd that could have worked and given us all a much better situation, and our government hadnt the courage or vision to try it. Its too late, public buyin wont be there.
    The government now just put all the responsibility on the population, which is disgraceful. People have by and large done their bit, tis the government who have failed utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

One of the major reasons that the Govt feel they can continue with restrictions is that the major mouth pieces to it have been silenced.
    The publicans, sitting pretty on the CRSS scheme, the main construction players been allowed to work. These 2 are major lobbyists but not a whimper from them. Then we have the media, in particular RTE thinking all their birthdays have come at once, with uptake on government advertising, etc. The silence is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blade1 wrote:
    I don't think you should be telling people what to do when it comes to their safety.
    It's the safety of everybody is why we have a lockdown. This isn't about the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s the complete ****show in terms of communication that is the most frustrating to me. I mean how in the name of Christ can Michael Martin give an interview to a newspaper and then more or less the same time Eamonn Ryan(who’s meant to be part of this government) is giving a less than clear message. And In a dept like health where there have been some utter beauties as minister, Stephen Donnelly leaves them in his wake. I know FG got some political capital from how they handled the initial pandemic(although that may be gone or dwindling at this stage) but it seems FF as lead party are actively going out of their way to fund this up. Communication and messaging are meant be a politicians bread and butter and FF in particular through the Taoiseach and minster for health and making an utter balls of this.

But the messages are clear....... :rolleyes:

But then this

But then again....

Maybe we should send the number of specsavers on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It isnt common, it is a very minimal risk. I've supported these lockdowns from the start but have had enough, you dont get endless opportunities to impose this stuff on a free society. People can argue the rights and wrongs of that all they like, but for me its a fact. A free society simply wont tolerate or adhere to this stuff multiple times over, especially when they see it didnt work in previous attempts, added to the fact that the people imposing it clearly have no other plan beyond hope the vaccine bails them out. We got the numbers down to more or less nothing in the summer of 2020, put money and infrastructure into a serious containment and test, trace and isolate strategy at that point, and I am convinced we could have been living in relative normality at least til christmas when perhaps another lockdown would be needed to prevent another mass outbreak. But the lobbyists and media cheerleaders werent having any of that. I think we had a chance to have a version of zero coivd that could have worked and given us all a much better situation, and our government hadnt the courage or vision to try it. Its too late, public buyin wont be there.
    The government now just put all the responsibility on the population, which is disgraceful. People have by and large done their bit, tis the government who have failed utterly.
    This is a little unclear - I can't make out what your solution, even with the benefit of nearly a year's hindsight, is... Could you clarify your plan (assuming you could timetravel back to the summer and control policy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

tucker1971 wrote: »
    One of the major reasons that the Govt feel they can continue with restrictions is that the major mouth pieces to it have been silenced.
    The publicans, sitting pretty on the CRSS scheme, the main construction players been allowed to work. These 2 are major lobbyists but not a whimper from them. Then we have the media, in particular RTE thinking all their birthdays have come at once, with uptake on government advertising, etc. The silence is deafening.

Our last remaining hope is Michael O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

tucker1971 wrote: »

Listen to Niall Boylan on classic hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Dubit11 wrote: »
    It bothers you, not all people.

It bothers me too and tds were just on the news complaining about it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement