Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Al fresco dining has commenced in southern Europe.... meanwhile in Ireland we consign ourselves to 9 more weeks in hour houses,

The pace in which any reopening will occur in this country will ensure there is no summer here and then we will be told to tighten up in case of an upwing in the autumn.

As have alluded to before, our only hope is the UK, if things get marching there, they wont be able to hold us inside much longer after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Al fresco dining has commenced in southern Europe.... meanwhile in Ireland we consign ourselves to 9 more weeks in hour houses,

The pace in which any reopening will occur in this country will ensure there is no summer here and then we will be told to tighten up in case of an upwing in the autumn.

As have alluded to before, our only hope is the UK, if things get marching there, they wont be able to hold us inside much longer after

They never went into lockdown in Belarus.

Last I checked the Black Death had not returned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

crossman47 wrote: »

'When the infected person opened the door, he said, “a fog of virus crossed the corridor” and infected the other person.'

:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A large number of posts deleted

Please do not discuss the personal tragedy of Tony Holohan here. Many of the posts were totally distasteful

I regurgitate the news is now threadbanned

To read the posts on this and particularly the echo chamber restrictions thread a lot of comments from the fcuk the restrictions cohort do come across as if they are made by spoiled infants throwing their toys out of the pram when they can`t get their own way.

everybody is jostling for a way out, both sides. some are more measured and some are not, I think the latter may have more at steak in what seems to be a never ending poker game, just reading their posts about children, jobs, mortgages lives and livelihoods etc. When everyone pushes and crashes together you get energy and sparks fly, energy is released as heat in nature and in these threads too it seems, it gets hot in here all the time.

you should count yourself lucky you are indeed composed and not throwing your toys out of the pram either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Aw no :(
    So that's why he was on leave.

Awful to have to deal with personal loss at a very stressful time for him professionally.

He did state that at the time. Anyway assuming this comment is true then RIP and condolences to Tony. As for the haters who are continually making utterly disgraceful personal attacks on Tony and the members of NPHET, it just goes to demonstrate how utterly sad and pathetic excuses for human beings they really are. Best to report their comments and let the mods deal with them.

He did state that at the time. Anyway assuming this comment is true then RIP and condolences to Tony. As for the haters who are continually making utterly disgraceful personal attacks on Tony and the members of NPHET, it just goes to demonstrate how utterly sad and pathetic excuses for human beings they really are. Best to report their comments and let the mods deal with them.

Personal attacks? really? on his wife?
    I have read tons of stuff regarding his motives, his methods, his manner and his myopia at times. I have not read anything personal really, that's a bit far fetched now Kunta. It would be scummy to do so but I have read and penned lots of disapproving posts, but still have seen nothing like what you're implying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The communication out of government could not be worse. Leo was on with Brian Dobson a few moments ago insisting Micheál never said level 5 until May. Micheál literally said personal services will likely not reopen until late stage Q2, so end of June. That is at least level 4 until end of June. They’d be better off saying nothing at all unless it’s consistent with one another. The dithering and fumbling does nothing only lower public confidence in the whole thing and increase frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, to be honest. I would say fcuk the restrictions because there's no backing for them scientifically.

We could give the benefit early on last March but I have two questions:

If the restrictions worked before - Why are we doing them again?
    If the restrictions didn't work before - Why are we doing them again?

3438 died in January in 2017
    3499 died in January in 2018
    2976 died in January in 2019
    2766 died in January in 2020
    What number for this year would get you to consider lockdowns do nothing?
    Well, a 1000+ died from Covid this January alone, after people had their meaningful Christmas, and now with the restrictions, the number of cases is significantly lower...

Where are you reading your "science" that says there's no backing for lockdowns?

I completely get people's aversion to restrictions and questioning whether they're worth the cost, but denying that the restrictions are actually effective seems willfully ignorant..

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Multipass wrote: »
    My arse they will. I have grocery bags and a local address. The country guards around here aren’t pushed anyway, it’s almost like they’re embarrassed at enforcing this rubbish.

Famous last words. You better have deep pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The communication out of government could not be worse. Leo was on with Brian Dobson a few moments ago insisting Micheál never said level 5 until May. Micheál literally said personal services will likely not reopen until late stage Q2, so end of June. That is at least level 4 until end of June. They’d be better off saying nothing at all unless it’s consistent with one another. The dithering and fumbling does nothing only lower public confidence in the whole thing and increase frustration.

The two gombeens couldn’t figure out between them when a new day starts at midnight or in the morning while implementing the last jokeshop of a lockdown.

Fcukin farcical.

How anyone could take either of them seriously is beyond me. The leak shouldn’t even be in a job after the leak stunt IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

rusty cole wrote: »
    Personal attacks? really? on his wife?
    I have read tons of stuff regarding his motives, his methods, his manner and his myopia at times. I have not read anything personal really, that's a bit far fetched now Kunta. It would be scummy to do so but I have read and penned lots of disapproving posts, but still have seen nothing like what you're implying really.

You will seen above that many of the posts were totally distasteful and have been deleted. I can recall some scurrilous comments when his wife's illness was first disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭top floor

Well, to be honest. I would say fcuk the restrictions because there's no backing for them scientifically.

We could give the benefit early on last March but I have two questions:

If the restrictions worked before - Why are we doing them again?

If the restrictions didn't work before - Why are we doing them again?

3438 died in January in 2017
    3499 died in January in 2018
    2976 died in January in 2019
    2766 died in January in 2020

What number for this year would get you to consider lockdowns do nothing?

As I have said, less people died last year compared to the 5 previous years.......You would not think that from the hysteria on the news

Any source or reference for these numbers?
    They seem totally at variance with the numbers at https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1362746662737874946/photo/1

These show that deaths in January 2020 are much higher than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

Doesn't matter which side of the open up/ lockdown fence you sit but on days like today, I'm reminded of what my granny used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

crossman47 wrote: »
    You will seen above that many of the posts were totally distasteful and have been deleted. I can recall some scurrilous comments when his wife's illness was first disclosed.

I nip in and out and those remarks seem to have been removed but just as they were discussed and it's off the table, surely not because they were remarks such as Carma etc, which I did see on watsap in work.

anyway ok, leave it there, the remark says more about the poster than it does about the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They'll turn around next week and announce lockdown until mid-April and we'll all think its a win because we spent a few days convinced it was May.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

AdamD wrote: »
    They'll turn around next week and announce lockdown until mid-April and we'll all think its a win because we spent a few days convinced it was May.

This is exactly what we said here just now , they dribble out information and then pull back a tiny bit and we all go Phew . Pure and utter mind games

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Under 5% today, lowest in 2 months

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1362767412647628810

7 day avg. is 5.4% now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

img

Good to see it under 5% again

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    This is exactly what we said here just now , they dribble out information and then pull back a tiny bit and we all go Phew . Pure and utter mind games

straight out of the aggressive sales manual.
    Always ask for twice the value so when you offer to meet in the middle, you get what what you want disguised as a concession on your part!

childish stuff .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Under 5% today, lowest in 2 months

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1362767412647628810

7 day avg. is 5.4% now

Some much needed good news. Has any data regarding close contacts postivity rate been shared recently? It would be interesting to see the positivity compared to the first wave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

img

Good to see it under 5% again

Great stuff

150 less than this day last week

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rusty cole wrote: »
    straight out of the aggressive sales manual.
    Always ask for twice the value so when you offer to meet in the middle, you get what what you want disguised as a concession on your part!

childish stuff .
    Oh, it's not that clever! I think it's more of a bizarre version of Lanigan's Ball. One minister says one thing and another one steps in to walk it back. It all adds up to the same thing, a whole lot of confusion with credibility heading for the nearest window.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Oh, it's not that clever! I think it's more of a bizarre version of Lanigan's Ball. One minister says one thing and another one steps in to walk it back. It all adds up to the same thing, a whole lot of confusion with credibility heading for the nearest window.

so I gave them too much credit? :D classic. jasus theyre shocking bad to be fair but then when you spent a campaign telling the elctorate how shyte the opposition is, you're bound to spend time on the sidelines undermining MM's turn in the big chair!! every hands turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

wadacrack wrote: »
    Some much needed good news. Has any data regarding close contacts postivity rate been shared recently? It would be interesting to see the positivity compared to the first wave

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries24/

"The average number of contacts per positive case per week was two in the week ending 12 February, down from three contacts in early January"

There is a table at the bottom of the page with an age and week breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

wadacrack wrote: »

From yesterday's update:

Over the last 7 days, Positivity in close contact testing is 25%, in household close contacts it is 33%

chrome_vMRQRNrNZZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why is Leo going on air to clarify what Micheál meant or didn’t mean when he gave his exclusive scoop (with pictures) to the Mirror last night? Why doesn’t Micheál come out himself today and clarify what he meant. The only good thing to have come out of this is the uproar it caused and maybe it will make them realise that the majority of the public will not adhere to level 5 for 9 more weeks. Mid April is bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

New gamechanger!
    Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine no longer needs to be kept at ultra-cold temps!

https://www.ft.com/content/919d16c8-0a40-4389-bac9-04a48fdb0a36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure if this IT article has been posted but it does explain where the Martin 9 weeks came from - NPHET caution. I do wonder if they should be pitching that far out as they don't really know what the next 2-3 weeks will bring. A very cautious approach is fine but an actual approach to go with the caution would be even more welcome. This just looks like the plan is what we have now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-tight-restrictions-to-remain-until-may-as-case-numbers-plateau-1.4489030

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement