Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0219/1198040-coronavirus-ireland/
    Dr Ronan Glynn said it will now take longer to get cases down.

The key reason progress is slowing is that the new more highly transmissible variant B117 - which was first detected in the UK - now accounts for 90% of all new Covid-19 cases in Ireland.
    Health Service Executive Chief Executive Paul Reid said hospitalised Covid-19 patients are becoming sicker and are having to stay longer in hospital because of the variant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But the messages are clear....... :rolleyes:

But then this

But then again....

Maybe we should send the number of specsavers on?

If you read the articles instead of the headlines you will see they are all saying the same thing. The plan is for schools to reopen early March on a phased basis but it depends on public health advice.

First article:
    Speaking on Today with Claure Byrne on RTE Radio, Minister O’Gorman said that Leaving Cert students and Junior Infants to second class students would be back in classrooms by March 1, while third to sixth class students would make a return on March 15.

‘All of that is contingent on ongoing NPHET advice.’

The confusion reported in the second article is because Varadker has said:
    But Mr Varadkar said the date has not yet been formally approved by public health officials.

Third article:
    ‘I would be very hopeful that that will begin on March 1 with Leaving Cert, and perhaps with the junior students in primary school.

Ms Foley went on to confirm that the Government has deferred to the advice of public health officials when it comes to schooling and will ‘operate on the basis of public health advice, and what’s best for students and teachers and all those who work within the school community’.

So, they are all saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Great news about Pfizer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The communication out of government could not be worse. Leo was on with Brian Dobson a few moments ago insisting Micheál never said level 5 until May. Micheál literally said personal services will likely not reopen until late stage Q2, so end of June. That is at least level 4 until end of June. They’d be better off saying nothing at all unless it’s consistent with one another. The dithering and fumbling does nothing only lower public confidence in the whole thing and increase frustration.

So, Varadker was correct. Martin didn't say level 5 until May. He said severe restrictions.

• Advertisement

New extra strength jab, fights plaque and repairs enamel too..:D

they're only gamechangers if the claims stack up... remember Tamiflu only shaved a few hours off a 10 days Flu when all the data was finally submitted 10 years after the brits paid half a billion but that's ok because we're all unique organisms and therein lies the catch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-26954482

https://www.purestcolloids.com/tamifluhoax2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

spakman wrote: »
    New gamechanger!
    Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine no longer needs to be kept at ultra-cold temps!

https://www.ft.com/content/919d16c8-0a40-4389-bac9-04a48fdb0a36

Pay walled. What does it actually say?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

rusty cole wrote: »
    New extra strength jab, fights plaque and repairs enamel too..:D

they're only gamechangers if the claims stack up... remember Tamiflu only shaved a few hours off a 10 days Flu when all the data was finally submitted 10 years after the brits paid half a billion but that's ok because we're all unique organisms and therein lies the catch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-26954482

https://www.purestcolloids.com/tamifluhoax2.pdf

Not sure what you're getting at. Do you want examples of vaccines that have been hugely effective through the years too?

So, Varadker was correct. Martin didn't say level 5 until May. He said severe restrictions.
    We don't know what these are until we see the new plan, which will come before Cabinet next Tuesday. Communications on this have been abysmal. It's been a whole lot of maybe but we don't know for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Once I saw "Mirror" on Twitter I disengaged from this story.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong etc but the Mirror is a rag imo. Decided that a long long time ago.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not sure what you're getting at. Do you want examples of vaccines that have been hugely effective through the years too?

Yes variolation in China surprisingly effective,
    James Phips take a jab in the arm that changes history.
    I know that Typhoid Mary was actually the first famous case of asymptomatic spread on a disease..
    I know about buboes, I know about genetic, communicative and other exotic diseases. I have a good interest.

MY POINT is like sport, when money got involved and it went from fitness and recreating which lead to national representation for a lucky gifted athlete TO HUGE "billions" of contracts...the big claims, the corruption and the scandals soon follow.

It could be good, yes but just because it's claimed, doesn't mean it's fact and I just gave that example of one that came to mind alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure if this IT article has been posted but it does explain where the Martin 9 weeks came from - NPHET caution. I do wonder if they should be pitching that far out as they don't really know what the next 2-3 weeks will bring. A very cautious approach is fine but an actual approach to go with the caution would be even more welcome. This just looks like the plan is what we have now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-tight-restrictions-to-remain-until-may-as-case-numbers-plateau-1.4489030

Are schools really the most essential things in the country . They do be off on holidays for most of the year anyway .

2/3 months off in the summer has never been an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Is there any possibility that people are sicker because the immune system isn’t as strong in winter as it is in the summer. Or that when people are catching it the viral load is higher due to being indoors and windows aren’t open as long in houses or workplaces due to the cold??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

img

Good to see it under 5% again
    Now Tony, I'm not a man to hold grudges, but... :pac:

I'm only buzzin' off ye, as we say in Dublin. Your rational pessimism is very effective at helping me look twice at the data and consider things I didn't look at. Don't stop.

The last two week have shown a little "bump" on Saturdays. I wonder is this a close contact thing - Tested Monday, result Tuesday, close contacts alerted Wednesday, tested Thursday, result Friday?

Pure speculation. In context with recent Saturdays, under 1,000 positive swabs tomorrow would be a great result, but really anything under 1,050 would mean we're still on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

The two gombeens couldn’t figure out between them when a new day starts at midnight or in the morning while implementing the last jokeshop of a lockdown.

Fcukin farcical.

How anyone could take either of them seriously is beyond me. The leak shouldn’t even be in a job after the leak stunt IMO

Varadker lives in the irish times offices now, he cant help himself leaking and spinning.
    I've said for a long time I'd love to see a real investigative journalist (ie. not one working for the irish times) look into where fg spin money goes. I'd say a lot of it ends up in the pockets of irish times 'journalists'.

big syke wrote: »
    *Doctor

The second has reservations, enough to be noted, mentioned by media and indicated by area. Reservations are enough to get you shunned, why do you think he doesn't want his name printed. I'm not saying they're pioneers I'm just saying I was very surprised to even see that in print. There would be others too I'd imagine, too fearful to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Leo tweeting Shane's data! Why isn't there a as useable government produced tool to follow the cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

big syke wrote: »
    *Doctor

*Christian medic according to his twitter bio.

I've yet to come across someone who's twitter bio starts with the word Christian who isn't a raving loon. It's up there with Patriot in terms of red flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mohawk wrote: »
    Is there any possibility that people are sicker because the immune system isn’t as strong in winter as it is in the summer. Or that when people are catching it the viral load is higher due to being indoors and windows aren’t open as long in houses or workplaces due to the cold??

Contrary to what Mr Reid said there's nothing to suggest that this third wave has made people sicker. Rather, for now at least, the increased severity observed is due to the increased prevalence of the disease in the general population. Simply put when you have a greater number of people infected a greater number of these will be very sick.

Aside:
    Viral load may be a factor in severity of infection but it's not known yet.

• Advertisement

The second has reservations, enough to be noted, mentioned by media and indicated by area. Reservations are enough to get you shunned, why do you think he doesn't want his name printed. I'm not saying they're pioneers I'm just saying I was very surprised to even see that in print. There would be others too I'd imagine, too fearful to say anything.

Because GPs are so well respected in the field of virology and their views and "conscientious objecting" are extremly credible. :rolleyes:

Another prefect example of people giving too much weight to loud people with no expertise against the back drop of expert opinon.

Disgrace that it was even printed but hey the headline "1,000 virology experts think Vaccine is really Great" doesnt have the same ring to it.

ceegee wrote: »

I've yet to come across someone who's twitter bio starts with the word Christian who isn't a raving loon. It's up there with Patriot in terms of red flags.

Oh FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Turtwig wrote: »
    Contrary to what Mr Reid said there's nothing to suggest that this third wave has made people sicker. Rather, for now at least, the increased severity observed is due to the increased prevalence of the disease in the general population. Simply put when you have a greater number of people infected a greater number of these will be very sick.
    It was also flagged way back at the start of January that the current treatment protocol for Covid cases is broader than it was last year, so the average hospital stay would increase by a day or two.
    I expect that once again Mr Reid has been told the average hospital stay is longer and has decided to put his own interpretation on it.
    While for the most part we tend to accept that if someone is a qualified and registered GP, then they're probably not a quack. But there are unfortunately some quacks out there.

There are some GPs who provide homeopathic treatments in some circumstances.

I know one GP in Terenure whose advice to a new mother with PND was to "go and get your hair and nails done and you'll feel grand".

Just because someone is a GP, doesn't mean they're not a gob****e and doesn't mean their reservations about a vaccine are automatically well-founded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Are schools really the most essential things in the country . They do be off on holidays for most of the year anyway .

I can see why you might think school is not essential :)

seamus wrote: »
    It was also flagged way back at the start of January that the current treatment protocol for Covid cases is broader than it was last year, so the average hospital stay would increase by a day or two.
    I expect that once again Mr Reid has been told the average hospital stay is longer and has decided to put his own interpretation on it.

While for the most part we tend to accept that if someone is a qualified and registered GP, then they're probably not a quack. But there are unfortunately some quacks out there.

There are some GPs who provide homeopathic treatments in some circumstances.

I know one GP in Terenure whose advice to a new mother with PND was to "go and get your hair and nails done and you'll feel grand".

Just because someone is a GP, doesn't mean they're not a gob****e and doesn't mean their reservations about a vaccine are automatically well-founded.

and just because he has reservations, doesn't make him Andrew Wakefield either. Also just because some are HSE Chiefs, or ministers for health, that doesn't mean they're not gob****es either, they just have better press to cover up the ****show and more lockdowns to hide it behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭techdiver

Travel counts for 0.03% of cases. Hardly the iceberg our Titanic is floundering on.

This is incorrect as tracing only goes back one generation through the infection chain. During the summer it was admitted by NPHET that our test and trace system is not up to scratch and is not resourced properly to gain correct data. In fact they used the reverse logic to justify the restrictions against pubs and restaurants opening. They essentially attributed community transmission where the origin was undetermined to the pubs and restaurants because, well where else could people have gotten it? So if they can extrapolate the data in that sense it also stands to reason that a large quantity of the cases at Christmas could trace their ancestors to travel as we just didn't trace at all during that time.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

ceegee wrote: »

I'm not a Twitter user, but your post is quite inflammatory.
    Up there with the woke loon's and their ultra liberals are they ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Turtwig wrote: »

Aside:
    Viral load may be a factor in severity of infection but it's not known yet.

Certainly younger patients appear to be getting a worse dose than in other waves,( when I say younger I am talking about 40 year olds up to 65s , some with no underlying conditions ) , ending up very sick for 3 to 4 weeks and leaving hospital still breathless on exertion and maybe needing intermittent monitoring at home .
    Whether this is higher viral load due to indoors and lack of ventilation, poorer immune systems as a result of the season and lack of vitamin D , or the ubiquitous variant , nobody seems to know for definite .
    Probably a combination of all of the above .
    Numbers dying in ICU is the cause unfortunately for reducing numbers there atm.
    And reducing numbers being admitted to ICU in the last week or so.

techdiver wrote: »
    This is incorrect as tracing only goes back one generation through the infection chain. During the summer it was admitted by NPHET that our test and trace system is not up to scratch and is not resourced properly to gain correct data. In fact they used the reverse logic to justify the restrictions against pubs and restaurants opening. They essentially attributed community transmission where the origin was undetermined to the pubs and restaurants because, well where else could people have gotten it? So if they can extrapolate the data in that sense it also stands to reason that a large quantity of the cases at Christmas could trace their ancestors to travel as we just didn't trace at all during that time.
    This looks like your own interpolation and one it has be said without much data but plenty of logical leaps. Last summer is not the current system and by all accounts it has got a lot better, with a far more rapid process. They did intend to go back further in the chain but ye know, October and Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fu**ck em, i'm done with restrictions. The government have actually broken me.

Ive saved enough over the last year working from home so I dont give a flying feck if i get multiple hundred euro fines. They can shove it you know where.

Will go for a nice drive now the weekend and maybe to the beach, some mountain biking and hil walking as well.

Will have a few mates over for cans as well.

I'm done.

From the relaxion of restrictions thread. Is the increasingly common consensus, or just characteristic of the peculiar types that would be posting on here? I mean, everything about the current situation is horrible, we all know this. But what's the solution here? It's a virus that we're trying to keep at bay until mass vaccinations are rolled out. Until a significant portion of the population are vaccinated this has to be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement