Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the relaxion of restrictions thread. Is the increasingly common consensus, or just characteristic of the peculiar types that would be posting on here? I mean, everything about the current situation is horrible, we all know this. But what's the solution here? It's a virus that we're trying to keep at bay until mass vaccinations are rolled out. Until a significant portion of the population are vaccinated this has to be done.
    It's a response to the possible of extension of these restrictions by 9 more weeks.
    It may not quite be consensus yet but it's been expected that people will eventually stop complying well. That point is not that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

seamus wrote: »
    Now Tony, I'm not a man to hold grudges, but... :pac:

I'm only buzzin' off ye, as we say in Dublin. Your rational pessimism is very effective at helping me look twice at the data and consider things I didn't look at. Don't stop.

The last two week have shown a little "bump" on Saturdays. I wonder is this a close contact thing - Tested Monday, result Tuesday, close contacts alerted Wednesday, tested Thursday, result Friday?

Pure speculation. In context with recent Saturdays, under 1,000 positive swabs tomorrow would be a great result, but really anything under 1,050 would mean we're still on track.

Likewise, but in reverse. Obviously.

The way I see things is that we've all but stamped out good old fashioned covid at this stage. I see the rate of decline dropping further once it has *sniff* left us for good.

I think cases will continue to drop but at such low levels that even you might recognise it as a plateau.
    That said if you don't recognise it quickly you might miss the plateau, as the schools will start to reopen.

There's been a few reports of B117 not being as child friendly as covid classic, but there were reports of similar tone back in September.
    So we'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

From the relaxion of restrictions thread. Is the increasingly common consensus, or just characteristic of the peculiar types that would be posting on here? I mean, everything about the current situation is horrible, we all know this. But what's the solution here? It's a virus that we're trying to keep at bay until mass vaccinations are rolled out. Until a significant portion of the population are vaccinated this has to be done.

I know. We're all fed up of the thing, but it's not like the govt control the virus (or do they!?). You can't tell the virus you're fed up and expect that it will just say "fair enough, I won't infect you so".
    It's painful but we've a couple more months to wait until the >70s and other vulnerable groups are vaccinated. After that, if we're still in lockdown I'll be ignoring them myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

In a lot of ways, I don't blame people for being so fed up with the situation.

It should never have been indefinite lockdown. Something went badly wrong with the containment policy.

spakman wrote: »
    I know. We're all fed up of the thing, but it's not like the govt control the virus (or do they!?). You can't tell the virus you're fed up and expect that it will just say "fair enough, I won't infect you so".
    It's painful but we've a couple more months to wait until the >70s and other vulnerable groups are vaccinated. After that, if we're still in lockdown I'll be ignoring them myself.

But some countries did control the virus. And not all by authoritarian measures. We're not alone either in our failure to keep the virus under control.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

igCorcaigh wrote: »

It should never have been indefinite lockdown. Something went badly wrong with the containment policy.

Isn't most of Europe in the same boat though? I mean trying to have some semblance of normal life whilst simultaneously trying to contain this virus just doesn't work.

I'm not advocating being locked down forever obviously, but just pointing out it's an impossible lose-lose situation for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Isn't most of Europe in the same boat though? I mean trying to have some semblance of normal life whilst simultaneously trying to contain this virus just doesn't work.

I'm not advocating being locked down forever obviously, but just pointing out it's an impossible lose-lose situation for the government.

Well they can't control it without locking down so looks like an indefinite lockdown is their only plan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well they can't control it without locking down so looks like an indefinite lockdown is their only plan

The problem now is the end is in sight...

last year they had to try and "live with it" but with vaccines here and the ability to prevent a further X deaths... they have to be cautious or else they will be blamed for killing X people etc..

It is, I agree. But something went wrong in our handling of it. We ended up with the worst of both worlds. Lessons for the future maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Significantly higher cases RTÉ are running with. What Prof Nolan said a few weeks ago was 400 or under cases per day by the end of this month. Yesterday he said 400 to 500 cases by March 1st. That equals slightly higher not Significantly.

By mid March its projected to fall between 200 to 350 cases a day. We'll see how accurate that will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Lots os stuff went tits up. Particularly at Christmas.

It still amazes me that having shut down travel to GB around the 19th/20th, we left pubs and restaurants open, knowing that huge numbers had already made it into the country and that the variant was almost certainly here.

I can't say if things would be significantly different had they'd shut hospitality as they were banning UK travel, but the very idea of it seems absurd.
    I guess it probably didn't help that the current UK gov have a track record of lying their holes off all the ****ing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

ceegee wrote: »
    *Christian medic according to his twitter bio.

I've yet to come across someone who's twitter bio starts with the word Christian who isn't a raving loon. It's up there with Patriot in terms of red flags.

Tom Holland has written a fascinating book which I am reading at the moment called Dominion. It spans 2000 years. I have bad news for you - Your mindset is helplessly rooted in Christianity. :) Even the biggest atheist is completely conditioned by a civilisation soaked for millennia in it. So much of the good we have around us came from a Christian culture - social welfare, the end of slavery, charity, architecture, education, science, the social contract etc etc etc(PS I am not Christian but I do smile when people get very uptight about it and their very intellects have been shaped by it).

spakman wrote: »

this is the trouble......."a couple more months" and then another "couple more months" and then the whole of 2021 is gone, just like last year..........just like the promises a year ago about "another 2 weeks" "next 2 weeks are critical".

We never got to the promised land did we? It was pushed out, over and over and over again. We did everything we were asked. We all have to weigh things up for ourselves, where we are in life, our age etc. Its not enough to keep saying "just another couple of months"........its simply too vague. People need certainty after a year of this, we are going round in circles. I've plans made to go back to hiking in the next 2 weeks. I'm done with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Absolutely fed up with the restrictions, some of the worst in europe I might add, sick of it all now, and the absolute b@lls the politicians are making of it all.
    I'm done, 9 weeks more, they can absolutely get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Tom Holland has written a fascinating book which I am reading at the moment called Dominion. It spans 2000 years. I have bad news for you - Your mindset is helplessly rooted in Christianity. :) Even the biggest atheist is completely conditioned by a civilisation soaked for millennia in it. So much of the good we have around us came from a Christian culture - social welfare, the end of slavery, charity, architecture, education, science, the social contract etc etc etc(PS I am not Christian but I do smile when people get very uptight about it and their very intellects have been shaped by it).

Christianity had huge influence in modern culture. Nobody would deny that.
    I think you're missing the posters point. Most doctors in Ireland are Christians they just don't advertise it. Most of the time when it's advertised in that way it means the individual subscribes to some of the more fundamentalist less mainstream interpretations of Christianity and ethics.

The criticisms of the doctor have nothing to do with Christianity per se. They've everything to do with his interpretation of it and how he applies that to medical practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

People who say they're done and not going to follow guidelines/rules anymore, what are you going to do? Walk into a closed business? Ram through Garda checkpoints? The only thing you could do realistically would be call into someone's house but even that would rely on them being done with things too.

I absolutely share the frustration with how things are but just don't really understand what being "done" involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

They blew it at Christmas and are unable to recover the situation now. The new Government never took control of the Virus. Tourists were arriving here and driving rental cars through Kildare which was in lockdown at the time . Courted Lobby groups right through the second part of 2020 and a meaningful Christmas gave us 1000 dead. ..this is where 9 euro pizzas and parties in hotel rooms took us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

what do people think is going to happen if you dont follow restrictions?
    The same attitudes got us in this mess back in december along with the goverment easing the restrictions at a terrible time.

Lockdowns are terrible but the alternative like in January is far worse. We'll go back to that if people just give up.

Some outdoor things should be allowed but we will all just have to wait for a good few months until vulnerable are vaccinated.
    Good chance another variant could emerge if people give up as well.

The summer i think should be a much better time. People will be outside in much less riskier environments & hopefully many vulnerable people are vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Turtwig wrote: »
    Christianity had huge influence in modern culture. Nobody would deny that.
    I think you're missing the posters point. Most doctors in Ireland are Christians they just don't advertise it. Most of the time when it's advertised in that way it means the individual subscribes to some of the more fundamentalist less mainstream interpretations of Christianity and ethics.

The criticisms of the doctor have nothing to do with Christianity per se. They've everything to do with his interpretation of it and how he applies that to medical practice.

Funny though, if someone has Happy Muslim or I'm a Baha'i AMA or Busty Buddhist in their Bio, people think aww sweet... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a response to the possible of extension of these restrictions by 9 more weeks.
    It may not quite be consensus yet but it's been expected that people will eventually stop complying well. That point is not that far away.

In your opinion .

• Advertisement

People who say they're done and not going to follow guidelines/rules anymore, what are you going to do? Walk into a closed business? Ram through Garda checkpoints? The only thing you could do realistically would be call into someone's house but even that would rely on them being done with things too.

I absolutely share the frustration with how things are but just don't really understand what being "done" involves.

for me "being done" means no more 5km. That's it but that's enough :)

I dont mind that pubs and restaurants are closed even though I miss them, I also miss coffee shops and meeting friends. I miss non essential shops. But the worst part of all of this is the 5km and that's affecting me a lot, its like a weight on top of my head and a feeling of despair. So no more 5km for me. Gardai around where I live have been pretty intermittent anyway and I have had no problems with checkpoints so far. I know all the back roads to anywhere I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Why is Leo going on air to clarify what Micheál meant or didn’t mean when he gave his exclusive scoop (with pictures) to the Mirror last night? Why doesn’t Micheál come out himself today and clarify what he meant. The only good thing to have come out of this is the uproar it caused and maybe it will make them realise that the majority of the public will not adhere to level 5 for 9 more weeks. Mid April is bad enough.

They’re like 2 donkeys looking out over a hedge,and about as much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Gruffalux wrote: »

The Pope is a Christian, he doesn't feel the need to begin his twitter bio by stating it. Ditto the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The people who do start their bio with "Christian...." tend to be right wing loons who display little of the "love thy neighbour" sentiment of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Goldengirl wrote: »
    In your opinion .
    Not quite. The CMO/NPHET raised the question of fatigue almost a year ago and warned the government about three weeks ago that these continued restrictions would cease to be fully effective among the population fairly soon. Do you have a different opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It is, I agree. But something went wrong in our handling of it. We ended up with the worst of both worlds. Lessons for the future maybe.

What's " something " that went wrong ?

Opened up excessively and with not enough care , when numbers of cases still high , and allowed infections to rise while allowing the biggest mixing -of-generations season to roll ahead , resulting in massive numbers of seriously ill people and deaths .

The worst decision by the most stupid shower in government.....let's call it what it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Even the nutjobs on Facebook are turning and they make some of our lockdown lot look tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not quite. The CMO/NPHET raised the question of fatigue almost a year ago and warned the government about three weeks ago that these continued restrictions would cease to be fully effective among the population fairly soon. Do you have a different opinion?

Yes they did and Leo at the time said they had to choose the timing wisely as people will only comply for a short period of 6 weeks . It is quite obvious that mentioning another 9 weeks tacked onto this past 6 weeks would not go down well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

But the CMO and NPHET are the ones calling for lockdowns . What they want the government to do about fatigue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

for me "being done" means no more 5km. That's it but that's enough :)

I dont mind that pubs and restaurants are closed even though I miss them, I also miss coffee shops and meeting friends. I miss non essential shops. But the worst part of all of this is the 5km and that's affecting me a lot, its like a weight on top of my head and a feeling of despair. So no more 5km for me. Gardai around where I live have been pretty intermittent anyway and I have had no problems with checkpoints so far. I know all the back roads to anywhere I want to go.

That one was easily broken anyway, I've been breaking the 5km rule when I need to, I don't see the big issue. It's not a practical rule for many people anyway for so many reasons (amenities etc). No-one is going to question you 90% of the time. No real need to be dramatic about the 5km rule, it's mostly theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

ceegee wrote: »
    The Pope is a Christian, he doesn't feel the need to begin his twitter bio by stating it. Ditto the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The people who do start their bio with "Christian...." tend to be right wing loons who display little of the "love thy neighbour" sentiment of Jesus.

Yup, a large degree of Trump supporters seem to have both 'Christian' and 'Patriot' in their twitter bios. I accidentally went down a rabbit hole of some of their feeds one night, couldn't believe there were actual real people like that on the planet. Insane stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement