Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Well what do you think happens when an entire population becomes pissed off and loses hope?
    One man and his government cannot ever govern unless they have the backing of the people...if the people decide they don't want it anymore..then it will be no more!

Just curious- have you identified who has all the answers then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

alentejo wrote: »
    I have to admit, I am fairly resilient, however listening to the gov press conference, I am very down. Hope seems to be lacking which is not good!

I didn't even bother to watch it, I figured they'd just extend the current restrictions, and then give stupid answers to stupid questions.

At least it sounds like they didn't make any false promises about a 'meaningful summer' or something simillar.

Malcomex wrote: »
    Gain herd immunity quickly and close the borders

What else would they be doing?

They are also saying that they are going to be open for a full and normal international tourist season this summer. But if Leo is to be believed, the vaccine will not give herd immunity and we wont even be able to travel at Christmas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tomorrow on RTE:
    -A new Sri Lankan Varient is discovered. 10 times more viral than anything we've seen before...
    -Why normal life may never be the same again?
    -Is 5km too much? Phillip Nolan tells us why
    -Blanaith Ní Coffaigh gets a new RTE contract
    -Vaccine Factory suffers massive fire.
    -The latest on house prices
    -The Weather

Well played, you deserve your ball back for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Polar101 wrote: »
    I didn't even bother to watch it, I figured they'd just extend the current restrictions, and then give stupid answers to stupid questions.

At least it sounds like they didn't make any false promises about a 'meaningful summer' or something simillar.

In all this time I have never watched a government briefing, any of their poem-bedecked speeches, or any of the Covid tv weekly/ daily update things that have Holohan, graphs and sign readers (so I hear). Not one. And I'm none the worse for it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tomorrow on RTE:
    -A new Sri Lankan Varient is discovered. 10 times more viral than anything we've seen before...
    -Why normal life may never be the same again?
    -Is 5km too much? Phillip Nolan tells us why
    -Blanaith Ní Coffaigh gets a new RTE contract
    -Vaccine Factory suffers massive fire.
    -The latest on house prices
    -The Weather

No....unless your traveling in from Brazil, South Africa, Shang Bang, Gok Wan

but by Christ don't go too far on your bicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I genuinely don't get what is going on in ireland. Things here in the US are starting to get back to normal. Some places have been out of restrictions for months, others, even California who have seen record cases in recent weeks, are starting to lift them. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths are falling fairly rapidly all over. Where I am we've come through one surge and now another without any more shutdowns. Life is pretty much normal except for mask wearing. Is this actual herd immunity coming into play?

Same with the UK, cases dropping dramatically but still it all doom and gloom. Are they just waiting for society to completely collapse or what?

Starting to worry I'll never see my family again or at least for the forseeable future at this stage as posts on here make it seem like shutting borders is inevitable. Maybe that's why the government doesn't deem issuing passports essential, border closures by stealth lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The HSE constantly tell us that ICU capacity and hospital capacity is vital
    My question would be how many of the healthcare workers who came home from Australia are now employed and working in our hospitals and care homes ?
    Or did they return to Australia when the HSE dragged their heels and left them stranded with no work here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

pconn062 wrote: »
    You would want to be very naive to believe that.

You'd want to be even more naive to think our neo Liberal, economy obsessed government want restrictions for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

D.Q wrote: »
    You'd want to be even more naive to think our neo Liberal, economy obsessed government want restrictions for no reason.

If they were economy obsessed then why did they shut down our economy for longer than anyone else in Europe.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    If they were economy obsessed then why did they shut down our economy for longer than anyone else in Europe.

To annoy boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

But if Leo is to be believed, the vaccine will not give herd immunity and we wont even be able to travel at Christmas

Leo's comments today were utterly moronic in the extreme and honestly should not be taken seriously by anybody. Not even because of any specific factors, just more generally because between the three of them - Leo, Mehole and Donnelly - they have been continuously making contradictory statements not just refuting eachothers' statements but also changing their own stance from whatever they said even a week ago. This has been ongoing for months.

There's only one takeaway one needs to be aware of when anyone in this government makes a statement, and that is that they haven't a f*cking clue what they're doing, what's going on, what the plan is or how they're going to achieve it.

That's terrifying in the context of what's going on, obviously. The wheels have entirely come off the wagon and we are essentially a headless chicken of a state right now. But it should also allow people to maintain some hope and optimism, for the simple reason that it works both ways - whenever they've made positive statements, yes, those have tended to be refuted only days later. But the same holds true for negative statements such as today's f*cking lunacy about Christmas 2021. Give it a few days and the message will change.

I'm a weather enthusiast and anyone who's ever followed the weather forum on Boards will know of a term we use - Fantasy Island. It refers to the period of time beyond 120 hours, at which point the computer models which crunch the numbers regarding the current weather trends and produce the charts showing what future days will be like in terms of weather, become inaccurate to the point of being almost entirely useless for talking about anything other than potential outcomes. In other words, when you look at a weather chart for say six days away, what you see on the chart is what could come to pass, but it is literally a coin toss as to whether it will. Beyond that, say ten or fifteen days? It's worse than a coin toss. Maybe twenty coin tosses in a row level predictability.

Government statements are like that at the moment. Hell, they can't even be certain as to what's going to happen in February with regard to schools reopening. Anything they tell us about what's going to happen in six months should be regarded in the same way as those of us who follow the weather regard charts telling us what's going to happen in six days - fiction.

That's it. There's nothing more to it. What's going to happen months from now is anybody's guess and Leo & co are being flagrantly irresponsible making statements like these. It will destroy peoples' mental health, it will destroy economic confidence, it will almost certainly erode compliance with restrictions and social distancing as nihilism sets in. But that only happens if we all forget the central truth in all of this, which is that the triumvirate of tools running the country at the moment are a group of muppets who are running their mouths and haven't the faintest clue what they're talking about.

In every other context, that's a terrifying thing to realise about this crisis (or indeed just normal day to day life in a democratic country!) but in this particular case, when they're making statements like these which are causing people to lose hope, it should be reassuring. Before you panic and allow the depression to set in, just stop for a moment and remember that you're basing your mental health on the word of a man who's told us that there'll be no concerts in summer 2021, literally a fortnight after he told us he was extremely optimistic about there being concerts in summer 2021.

Stay strong, folks. Please don't base your mental state on the brain farts of an incompetent leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jesus Christ

RTE shouting the fear through the television

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

BBC 2

54 DAYS: China and the Pandemic

If anyone wants a break from the gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

boardise wrote: »
    Just curious- have you identified who has all the answers then ?

Absolutely nobody has all the answers. Just pointing out that unless the people support the government of the day and their decisions then the government will fail.
    I.E Irish government want to keep restrictions until christmas 2021 v 90% of population don't. There will only be one winner there and it's not the government.
    That's why they have to bring people along with them and I think this negative position they keep taking will have to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

Jesus Christ

RTE shouting the fear through the television

ITS THE END OF DAYS
    THE END IS NIGH
    WE ARE DOOMED
    YOUR LIVES AS YOU KNOW IT IS OVER

something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

AdamD wrote: »
    The people depressed about the government's comments today aren't talking about January or February, it was the December comment...

I'd just echo what another poster said that you can't read a great deal into the December comment. Right now the Government can't predict what will happen in March. December 2021 is so far away it may as well not even exist.

Forget about it, don't tie yourself up into knots about it. A lot will happen between now and then. And so much is contingent on things that are outside anyone's control.

Right now we are still in an acute fire fighting stage. Numbers are decreasing but numbers in hospitals are still stratospheric and close to 100 deaths were announced today.

We're still right in the thick of it and people are tired and as a result somewhat numbed to those facts, but we need to have some perspective. We worry about our next steps when we're confident we're definitely going to stay upright and not fall flat on our faces. People have been extremely patient, but, unfortunately, we will have to be patient some more.

It could go well - cases will drop, vaccination will make a big dent and society will get back on it's feet after a few more months.

It could go badly - opening up results in another surge, vaccination isn't as effective as we thought.

It go a bit of both ways - it might take longer, but we'll eventually get there.

What seems to have annoyed many about a proportion of remarks from today's presser is that there was in Vradaker's comments an implication that things are essentially uncertain the further you look into the future. I understand that is frustrating, demoralising for people, but I think psychologically it's better to adjust to that uncertainty:

It is an inarguable hard truth.

It's hard, very hard and everybody's circumstances are unique and shape how they view all of this and I certainly understand how people feel like they need to vent and be angry, but I don't know how productive it is. The future is uncertain.

All of Leo's comments today have the sense of him throwing a tantrum at the idea of hotel quarantine for incoming travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There will always be a new metric, a new fear, a new variant to be watched.

With every day it looks more likely that only mass protests will get us out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd just echo what another poster said that you can't read a great deal into the December comment. Right now the Government can't predict what will happen in March. December 2021 is so far away it may as well not even exist.

Forget about it, don't tie yourself up into knots about it. A lot will happen between now and then. And so much is contingent on things that are outside anyone's control.

Right now we are still in an acute fire fighting stage. Numbers are decreasing but numbers in hospitals are still stratospheric and close to 100 deaths were announced today.

We're still right in the thick of it and people are tired and as a result somewhat numbed to those facts, but we need to have some perspective. We worry about our next steps when we're confident we're definitely going to stay upright and not fall flat on our faces. People have been extremely patient, but, unfortunately, we will have to be patient some more.

It could go well - cases will drop, vaccination will make a big dent and society will get back on it's feet after a few more months.

It could go badly - opening up results in another surge, vaccination isn't as effective as we thought.

It go a bit of both ways - it might take longer, but we'll eventually get there.

What seems to have annoyed many about a proportion of remarks from today's presser is that there was in Vradaker's comments an implication that things are essentially uncertain the further you look into the future. I understand that is frustrating, demoralising for people, but I think psychologically it's better to adjust to that uncertainty:

It is an inarguable hard truth.

It's hard, very hard and everybody's circumstances are unique and shape how they view all of this and I certainly understand how people feel like they need to vent and be angry, but I don't know how productive it is. The future is uncertain.

I know you mean well, but how is any of that supposed to make anyone feel better if they are low tonight, it's like nobody has a clue what will happen so just accept it and forget about it.

• Advertisement

I know you mean well, but how is any of that supposed to make anyone feel better if they are low tonight, it's like nobody has a clue what will happen so just accept it and forget about it.

In a nutshell, yes.

It's surely better than raging against it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I literally just set my target to the date of the next review. Not thinking beyond that tbh, there is no point

What's the chances of catching covid in the test centre of one of the testers not sanitizing properly between tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stheno wrote: »
    I literally just set my target to the date of the next review. Not thinking beyond that tbh, there is no point

Yes . Thats what I have decided to do too . I am not listening to Leo rabbit on about next December and get myself worked up
    It is so bad for mental well being , so one day at a time and do the best I can to fill the day and be a tiny bit productive if I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/q-a-can-i-still-pass-covid-on-after-i-ve-been-vaccinated-1.4461158%3fmode=amp

That recent article says it is not yet known if one can transmit the corona virus after vaccination.
    Vaccination does not stop one getting covid either - the effect of the vaccine is to hopefully prevent one from having severe disease.

In that case, if one can still catch and as far as we know as of now likely still transmit the virus after vaccination shouldn't it really be up to most people, especially those who are healthy and not old, to decide for themselved to take vaccine or not if they don't want it and just choose to deal with covid if they get it? They will not have an effect on the vulnerable either way if that group are vaccinated.

Maybe I am missing something and if so don't all jump at once. Form an orderly socially-distanced queue, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Arghus wrote: »
    In a nutshell, yes.

It's surely better than raging against it.

I wonder what it will take for you to ever doubt the government/strategy.

If we were in 2023 and we are still no further and are talking about the Greenland variant thats XX% more infectious and YY% more deadly and invalidates the latest vaccine updates. Would that do it?

I know you wont want to engage in this, but entertain me just for a moment. Hypothetically speaking.

If the Covid positivity rate is 10% and they are not testing close contacts at the minute. What do the other 90% have?

Presumably they are requesting tests due to having symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Gruffalux wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/q-a-can-i-still-pass-covid-on-after-i-ve-been-vaccinated-1.4461158%3fmode=amp

That recent article says it is not yet known if one can transmit the corona virus after vaccination.
    Vaccination does not stop one getting covid either - the effect of the vaccine is to hopefully prevent one from having severe disease.

In that case, if one can still catch and as far as we know as of now likely still transmit the virus after vaccination shouldn't it really be up to most people, especially those who are healthy and not old, to decide for themselved to take vaccine or not if they don't want it and just choose to deal with covid if they get it? They will not have an effect on the vulnerable either way if that group are vaccinated.

Maybe I am missing something and if so don't all jump at once. Form an orderly socially-distanced queue, please.

A vaccine doesnt stop you getting the virus in that it doesn't give you 100% protection, however it does vastly reduce your chance of getting the virus, by between 90% and 95% with the mRNA's. Saying vaccination does not stop one getting covid is very misleading.

I wonder what it will take for you to ever doubt the government/strategy.

If we were in 2023 and we are still no further and are talking about the Greenland variant thats XX% more infectious and YY% more deadly and invalidates the latest vaccine updates. Would that do it?

I constantly doubt the government strategy.

Nearly every second post I had here on the thread during the month of December was me accusing them of being stupid, seriously go back and look.

I even was giving out about the illogical nature of their attitude towards quarantining people earlier today!

It's a completely unfair thing to say that I never doubt or question the Government's strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If the Covid positivity rate is 10% and they are not testing close contacts at the minute. What do the other 90% have?

A huge swathe of differential diagnoses that have some or all symptoms of covid. Other people are just tested as part of infection control to detect outbreaks early.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement