Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

God bless Emer and her family.

To have to have an funeral under the current situation is desperate, no closure.

May we all pray for peace and forgiveness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ficheall wrote: »
    People always seem very keen to come up with reasons to write off deaths. They're old, they actually died last week, they had underlying conditions...
    I don't think that's true but there is an acceptance of the inevitability of numbers of deaths each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There are answers. It’s happened plenty of times on here that people are able to give, without divulging personal details, factors which have or have not contributed to a case.

I’m not looking for every detail, just relevant medical ones.

Tracking down the family and asking them would actually be insensitive.

You may feel time makes this query appropriate, that’s your opinion and your fully entitled to it.

My opinion is that your either looking for things to cause you offence or have somehow set yourself up as the morality police so it’s the last interaction you will have from me.

You are looking for details you know are not available ..I asked you why ?

That was sarcasm .

It IS my opinion .

You are entitled to your opinion , but if you feel that everyone who thinks you are asking something inappropriately is somehow setting themselves up as " the morality police " you are
    going to come up against a lot of difficult situations in life ;)
    Good luck , you are now on ignore now too.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MD1990 wrote: »
    what do people think is going to happen if you dont follow restrictions?
    The same attitudes got us in this mess back in december along with the goverment easing the restrictions at a terrible time.

Lockdowns are terrible but the alternative like in January is far worse. We'll go back to that if people just give up.

Some outdoor things should be allowed but we will all just have to wait for a good few months until vulnerable are vaccinated.
    Good chance another variant could emerge if people give up as well.

The summer i think should be a much better time. People will be outside in much less riskier environments & hopefully many vulnerable people are vaccinated.

There is quite a bit of room between level 5 lockdown and the absolute cluster**** that was Christmas. Its not just two sides of a coin.

But effectively after a year of this pandemic we are right back where we started. Clueless, with our only weapon being a heavy handed, clumsy, wide-ranging lockdown.
    One example is that the vaccine is supposed to be orders of magnitude less transmissible in the outdoors, but have we any nuance in our lockdowns to cater for this - Not a sausage, still the same stupid distance and outdoor restrictions as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very sad may she rest in peace

• Advertisement

People always seem very keen to come up with reasons to write off deaths. They're old, they actually died last week, they had underlying conditions...

That's just a malign interpretation.

It's not about "writing off deaths", it's about putting deaths into context.

For instance, what if we were never privy to the information that underlying conditions and high age were factors for severe disease?

But by knowing these factors, it puts the deaths into some degree of context for the rest of the population - who is neither high aged nor littered with underlying health diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

HSE Order of 4 millions or so of these shields and its over

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1362262315261784066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Put this up last year regarding underlying issues

If we are using that then we also need to start taking into account race, genetics, poverty and access to healthcare.
    2019 696,300 people were over the age of 65. Using that as a base with the 2016 census data there are a lot of people with underlying problems just in the age group.

In 2016 9% of males and 50.1% of females aged 65 and over reported suffering from a chronic illness or health problem in 2016. In people over the age of 75, 41.7% and 43.9% of males and females respectively reported some or severe limitation in usual activities due to health problems (Table 2.2 and Table 2.3). That is data from the census and is relying on people telling the truth, plus we know men are less likely to go to the doctor never mind say there are having health problems. https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...20Table%202.3).

Reality is we do not know what the numbers are regarding those with underlying conditions, their genetics, level of poverty and their access to healthcare. We cannot section off one part of society becuase they are more at risk, the numbers are too high and you cannot stop the virus getting into that population when it is let run free in the so called healthy. We heard a few of the oh they would have died anyways but if we use the numbers below, estimated 1.07m , is that an acceptable number?

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publ...ember-2019.pdf

Chronic Disease
    The prevalence of chronic disease continues to increase due to a reduction in mortality from chronic
    diseases but also due to increasing incidence of chronic disease in the population.

Children (0-14 years)
    • In 2009: 11% of 9-year-olds had a chronic illness or disability14 . Respiratory illnesses for example
    asthma were the most common, accounting for almost half of all illnesses (47%) followed by
    mental and behavioural conditions (17%) and skin conditions (5%)
    • Boys were more likely than girls to be affected by a mental and behavioural condition (21%
    compared to 11%)
    • Chronic illness or disability was more heavily concentrated among children from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.

Adults (15-64 years)
    • It is estimated that over 1.07m people over the age of 18 years in Ireland currently have one or
    more chronic diseases including cancer (90,000), cardiovascular disease (250,000), respiratory
    disease (440,000) and diabetes (190,000)9,10
    • In 2017, four chronic conditions (heart failure, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
    (COPD) and diabetes) accounted for 27.31% of all acute hospital bed days
    14 Growing Up In Ireland. The Health of 9 Year Olds, July 2009
    • The most common newly diagnosed cancers in Ireland for the years 2013 – 2015 were for men:
    prostate, colorectal and lung and for women: breast, lung and colorectal. The next most
    common new cancer for both genders is melanoma
    • In 2017, 28,388 people were recorded as having an intellectual disability (ID). 7,500 people with
    ID were in receipt in full-time residential services. 27,902 people availed of at least a one-day
    programme and 139 people were residing in psychiatric hospitals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tony Holohans wife has died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And some people want facts.
    Actual facts about what is happening, and who it is happening to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's just a malign interpretation.

It's not about "writing off deaths", it's about putting deaths into context.

For instance, what if we were never privy to the information that underlying conditions and high age were factors for severe disease?

But by knowing these factors, it puts the deaths into some degree of context for the rest of the population - who is neither high aged nor littered with underlying health diseases.

That's fair enough if it is going to put it in context.

However as long as we have been getting numbers the information about individual cases , deaths or recognisable groups / clusters has not been in the public domain to preserve privacy
    of those involved and their families.
    Only if the family chooses to make it public for some reason ..

It does not affect the statistical information which is released every few weeks which informs and satisfies the majority , that we don't know every detail or every underlying condition of the individuals involved .
    All that it does, is ensure that those with the sensitivity of a tabloid journo , can not comment about individuals who are dead or their families on a public forum .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

We're not even close to an end to this. Vaccine administration and uptake are the only way the government see out of it, and our vaccine supply chain is a shambles. That's not even factoring in the emergence of even more virulent strains of this, which I think are busy brewing if not already out there in countries where Covid was allowed to run rampant. We're always too slow to react, can't do this, can't do that, follow in the UKs shadow on everything, except vaccines.
    We can write off 2021, I believe that, as I have no faith in the empty promises of the government and their constant roll backs.

screamer wrote: »
    We're not even close to an end to this. Vaccine administration and uptake are the only way the government see out of it, and our vaccine supply chain is a shambles. That's not even factoring in the emergence of even more virulent strains of this, which I think are busy brewing if not already out there in countries where Covid was allowed to run rampant. We're always too slow to react, can't do this, can't do that, follow in the UKs shadow on everything, except vaccines.
    We can write off 2021, I believe that, as I have no faith in the empty promises of the government and their constant roll backs.

In fairness it’s considerably difficult to make a vaccine for a strain of a virus that hasn’t finishing “brewing” yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And some people want facts.
    Actual facts about what is happening, and who it is happening to.
    Well, imagine if you lost someone and ended up on boards, and found posters trying to extract "flaws" about the deceased to push their agenda - there are surely more respectful avenues for the curious mind to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The Brits get an awful lot of praise for rushing through vaccine approvals and buying more than their fair share.

They've been a complete shambles all year. They've cultivated their own variant ffs. And passed it on to us.

I've enormous sympathy for the British people. They've had a **** time and I'm glad things are looking up for them, but let's not forget so quickly that the liars they elected are hapless clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

wadacrack wrote: »
    HSE Order of 4 millions or so of these shields and its over

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1362262315261784066

Ha I always thought something like that would be a very obvious solution to be able to keep a lot of the economy open

Well, imagine if you lost someone and ended up on boards, and found posters trying to extract "flaws" about the deceased to push their agenda - there are surely more respectful avenues for the curious mind to investigate.

“Flaws” are personality characteristics, which is something personal and completely nonsensical to include here.

You seem to have no issue with knowing that somebody today has died either with or from covid.
    That’s medical information relevant to this situation. It’s publishing the results of a medical test that the person has been subjected to.

If it’s ok to know that information about a person that died then why is it wrong to know other medically pertinent information?

This has nothing to do with family, it’s trying to scrape the surface of the information we are being drip-fed to establish the facts of a virus that are not often talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Cork is a very big county

I got stopped in one checkpoint today

That one is a permanent one that's there every day

it's a big county, with a lot of backroads too.

tumblr_msytbz9pPw1sr0wfvo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

. They've cultivated their own variant ffs. And passed it on to us.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a deliberate policy

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a deliberate policy

I'm pretty sure too.

But still unconvinced :)

• Advertisement

The Brits get an awful lot of praise for rushing through vaccine approvals and buying more than their fair share.

They've been a complete shambles all year. They've cultivated their own variant ffs. And passed it on to us.

Ridiculous.

You cannot blame an entire nation for the creation of viral strains. Strains are emerging globally - but not all countries have the testing capability to identify these strains.

To use a strain as a political weapon against the UK government, just because you dislike the UK government regardless, is petty and ridiculous and devoid of all logic, evidence, and reason.

“Flaws” are personality characteristics, which is something personal and completely nonsensical to include here.

You seem to have no issue with knowing that somebody today has died either with or from covid.
    That’s medical information relevant to this situation. It’s publishing the results of a medical test that the person has been subjected to.

If it’s ok to know that information about a person that died then why is it wrong to know other medically pertinent information?

This has nothing to do with family, it’s trying to scrape the surface of the information we are being drip-fed to establish the facts of a virus that are not often talked about.

The deceased has a right to privacy. His or her underlying condition will be noted and delivered to us anonymously via statistics at a later date.

That's said, I heard it was trench foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

In fairness it’s considerably difficult to make a vaccine for a strain of a virus that hasn’t finishing “brewing” yet.

Yes, exactly that's why I said the end is nowhere near in sight, as things like this aren't even factored into the plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I hope you're wrong but you may not be. We're too slow, the vaccine to work needs to be rolled far faster. A race between new variants and the vaccines.

I've enormous sympathy for the British people. They've had a **** time and I'm glad things are looking up for them, but let's not forget so quickly that the liars they elected are hapless clowns.

A new variant is a random occurrence. Given it was first detected in south east England, the uk may not necessarily be the source of the it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Write off 2021? Maybe for you. Not for the vast majority of people.

Negativity is an awful thing. Stay positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The medical history of any individual is none of our business.

You cannot make any inferences from a single death either. It's one point of datum and is not enough to draw any conclusion on what may or may not have been correlated factors. To attempt to do so is erroneous in the extreme.

You simply cannot use a single death to assess anything regarding the profile of the disease. Likewise, you should not use the profile of the disease to make assumptions about one individuals death. You can make assumptions on the population level; never the individual. How a person experiences any illness is still unique to them.

RIP:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

that's today, around hundred people in a mosque. Cops called 12 times, nothing happened. What a sh1tshow.

https://www.facebook.com/linda.depaor/posts/3678293562292377

A new variant is a random occurrence. Given it was first detected in south east England, the uk may not necessarily be the source of the it

I know that, really I do, but regardless of origin, they really let get nice and comfortable.

Some of points there are less valid than others. But the overall point remains. They've done a bloody terrible job in the main, so can we stop with the jealousy.

I wouldn't swap

• Advertisement

The deceased has a right to privacy. His or her underlying condition will be noted and delivered to us anonymously via statistics at a later date.

That's said, I heard it was trench foot

So your taking issue with me seeking facts, but your happy to make a joke out of someone’s death.

That’s mature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement