Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

They are travelling over to work and staying in cramped accomodation

Honestly do people really think a variant isn't going to come along that evades vaccines

Naive

Tweaking vaccines isn't sustainable either

Your name is an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Sanjuro wrote: »

And here they come . We will have same conversations in 2022 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

They have been talking about the hotel quarantine for about a month. And it's still not done.
    Just lock everything down again instead.

I've generally been very non-opinionated on the covid restrictions etc as people know from this thread and the Cork Covid thread, and I follow them etc, but this new variant coming in, which could have easily been prevented... its the straw that broke the camels back for me this. Incompetent Government drawing everything out while not enforcing the proper areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Labaik wrote: »
    1500 arrived 2 weeks ago without any checks.

And no offence but they should not have been allowed to enter till the quarantine hotels are in operation.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Otherwise, it's a one rule for them and one rule for the rest of us.

In the Mall in Longford, African youths have been allowed to use the astro facilities in the last week or so.

Dunno if it's actually being hired out to them, or the guards are turning a blind eye to entry being gained by irregular means, but on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week, and Thursday and Friday last week, there were five-a-side games happening there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

And no offence but they should not have been allowed to enter till the quarantine hotels are in operation.

Of course. Its infuriating how bad this has been handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Whats the lowdown on the Brazilian variant? Or is there very little data on it?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3678293562292377&id=100003353092989

Is this legit, it appears to be

Guarantee i will be called racist

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3678293562292377&id=100003353092989

Is this legit, it appears to be

Guarantee i will be called racist

Good enough for them if they get it, hopefully they dont mix with the law abiding people too much to pass it on, guards shouldn't be letting this sort of thing happen tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Sanjuro wrote: »

"Sweet science" is a phrase from the world of boxing.

It was coined by someone who doesn't understand what science is

• Advertisement

But does it really matter if they get it, if they want to congregate and pray then tough titty if they end up with it, guards shouldn't be letting this sort of thing happen tho

Really? Am I reading this right? Do they go to isolated shops? Do they completely not mix with non Muslims, this is a mad response

Vicxas wrote: »
    Whats the lowdown on the Brazilian variant? Or is there very little data on it?

It has the E484K mutation as well as the N501Y mutation, both of which are found in the UK and South african variant, along with 10 other mutations on the spike protein according to what I saw online.

The main concern seems to be that it became widespread in a village in Brazil and managed to collapse their healthcare system, the village already had a massive outbreak a few months before and anti-body tests showed a high number of the population having antibodies already (apparently around 76%?) so it seems to be able to evade them quite efficiently if it is left to spread. <---- Highly open to correction this is just from Googling!

Edit: Apparently the 76% figure was debunked! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

But does it really matter if they get it, if they want to congregate and pray then tough titty if they end up with it, guards shouldn't be letting this sort of thing happen tho

Thats a strange way of thinking “does it really matter if they get it”
    eh yeah it matters, what if they are doctors, nurses, work in a food establishment, work in the corner shop etc. They dont all just go straight home and sit there till next fridays prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It has the E484K mutation as well as the N501Y mutation, both of which are found in the UK and South african variant, along with 10 other mutations on the spike protein according to what I saw online.

The main concern seems to be that it became widespread in a village in Brazil and managed to collapse their healthcare system, the village already had a massive outbreak and anti-body tests showed a high number of the population having antibodies already so it seems to be able to evade them quite efficiently if it is left to spread. <---- Highly open to correction this is just from Googling!

So the vaccines are useless.

Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Great.

Nope. Not true.

Great.

Not necessarily, if its similar to the SA strain then the vaccines, while possibly less efficient, still work at around 64% efficacy, which is still above the flu vaccine... And Pfizer and Moderna are already working on updating the vaccine for these variants... Gotta try and see hope somewhere... right? :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

If only there was some sort of mandatory hotel quarantine.. oh wait.. its just not implemented!

Yes theres the 14 day house quarantine "by law" but who knows what these people have been doing. Hopefully they tell the truth and have actually been staying at home!

fu kcing test them we let them in, we want to keep airline slots or shut down airport become a waste land

How about tackling local outbreaks short lockdowns mass testing and contact tracing being done in other countries with bigger pops as an ordered response.

instead we just endlessly lockdown everyone and businesses BS

Great.

There are people on this forum who get down on their knees every morning and evening to pray to every god they can think of for a variant which can defeat the vaccine.

They will be disappointed, because science will always prevail.

The main concern seems to be that it became widespread in a village in Brazil and managed to collapse their healthcare system, the village already had a massive outbreak a few months before and anti-body tests showed a high number of the population having antibodies already (apparently around 76%?) so it seems to be able to evade them quite efficiently if it is left to spread. <---- Highly open to correction this is just from Googling!

That was Manaus. That study was junk. It was based on blood donations. It greatly overestimated the seroprevelance. It was never that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Really? Am I reading this right? Do they go to isolated shops? Do they completely not mix with non Muslims, this is a mad response

Yes, you're not reading it right, what I meant is guards should take action and if they get it they've only themselves to blame, you can only go so far with retards of this magnitude, maybe I didn't make my post clear enough, I'll edit to clarify

• Advertisement

agoodpunt wrote: »
    fu kcing test them we let them in, we want to keep airline slots or shut down airport become a waste land

How about tackling local outbreaks short lockdowns mass testing and contact tracing being done in other countries with bigger pops as an ordered response.

instead we just endlessly lockdown everyone and businesses BS

Like TB, I agree, however the more variants there is the more worrying long term it will be.

Will we all agree to no more life like 2019, no pubs like we knew it, thats the solution of opening up. To allow this to prevail without lockdown then its masks and social distance for life. That I reply to NP THANKS.

Imagine this being a new reality, it would be depressing as ****

People say I'm negative, but if our current extremely transmissible strain is more transmissible than any newly imported strain, then our current horrible variant that's ruining all of our lives will dominate the newcomer and cocoon us all in this dreadful void for an eternity.

Yes, you're not reading it right, what I meant is guards should take action and if they get it they've only themselves to blame, you can only go so far with retards of this magnitude, maybe I didn't make my post clear enough, I'll edit to clarify

Grand so, I thought you meant otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

b0nk1e wrote: »
    There are people on this forum who get down on their knees every morning and evening to pray to every god they can think of for a variant which can defeat the vaccine.

They will be disappointed, because science will always prevail.

I scroll through this thread for a laugh and go to the Vaccine thread for some real information.

And here they come . We will have same conversations in 2022 .

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113621880&postcount=1628

nocoverart wrote: »
    I scroll through this thread for a laugh and go to the Vaccine thread for some real information.

Well aren't you a person of refined taste.

I dabble in the Sweden thread but it's not for me.

Well aren't you a person of refined taste.

I dabble in the Sweden thread but it's not for me.

First to blame the government and shout SF

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

b0nk1e wrote: »

Would you have some cop on? What universe are you living in? Absolutely absurd notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Good enough for them if they get it, hopefully they dont mix with the law abiding people too much to pass it on, guards shouldn't be letting this sort of thing happen tho

If we could somehow persuade those people to walk alone on a beach, then maybe the Guards could take action.

• Advertisement

People say I'm negative, but if our current extremely transmissible strain is more transmissible than any newly imported strain, then our current horrible variant that's ruining all of our lives will dominate the newcomer and cocoon us all in this dreadful void for an eternity.

Not really. We know the vaccines work against the UK variant. Look at Israel for proof. If it's able to dominate the other variants and prevent them taking over that's actually a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement