Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Wolf359f wrote: »
    If/When they implement mandatory hotel quarantine, it will not be the guards policing it, so whose to stop them walking out of the hotel?
    If the guards are called, would they be arrested or just a fine?
    If they are arrested, it begs the question, would a judge grand bail?
    If people want to break "the law" they will break it.

A half arsed quarantine won't stop a new strain from spreading.

They don't give keys to people in quarantine in Australia and New Zealand. But Ireland being Ireland, that probably can't be done here and we'll probably give them keys because of our border or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If/When they implement mandatory hotel quarantine, it will not be the guards policing it, so whose to stop them walking out of the hotel?
    If the guards are called, would they be arrested or just a fine?
    If they are arrested, it begs the question, would a judge grand bail?
    If people want to break "the law" they will break it.

A half arsed quarantine won't stop a new strain from spreading.

We were talking about this last Summer !
    Why are we saddled with such ridiculous ministers who are umming and ahhing about everything , when it comes to keeping our borders safe , but expect the citizens of the country not to go for a walk on the beach or up in the blooming mountains ?
    Even the Brits are getting their act together .

Kivaro wrote: »
    I must admit that I am disappointed that an event like this is glossed over. Are people afraid to speak up as a result of an obvious violation, when hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of our fellow citizens avoid practicing their religion for the greater good of the whole?
    The rules need to apply to all of us, and not just to those who follow them unreservedly.

God/Allah forbid that government officials may denounce such a violation

Ahh I would like to see how real that post is before I comment further .
    I seem to remember fake FB posts being used to drum people up here before ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital operations update

In hospital 703 (a decrease of 49 from than last night)

In ICU 151 (increase of 3 but thankfully zero deaths in the last 24 hours)

Last Friday we had 959 in hospital and 169 in ICU.

A fine decrease in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They don't give keys to people in quarantine in Australia and New Zealand. But Ireland being Ireland, that probably can't be done here and we'll probably give them keys because of our border or something.

Keys to what????
    Didn't you freak out earlier about 2 families in an Australian hotel quarantine facility opening their doors at the same time and infecting each other.
    Where they not locked in the room without the keys?

• Advertisement

Keys to what????
    Didn't you freak out earlier about 2 families in an Australian hotel quarantine facility opening their doors at the same time and infecting each other.

and if there was a massive fire in the place and joe blogs with the keys wont go up on to floor 6 which is an inferno..they roast in a locked room ?

FFS.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    We were talking about this last Summer !
    Why are we saddled with such ridiculous ministers who are umming and ahhing about everything , when it comes to keeping our borders safe , but expect the citizens of the country not to go for a walk on the beach or up in the blooming mountains ?
    Even the Brits are getting their act together .

I think the Government are just dragging it out. Hoping we;re all vaccinated and they can say there's no need for quarantine etc...

Oh it was funny hearing about a couple returning from a red country into the UK and be stuck in quarantine. Was only 4 hours in and they were complaining it was worse than prison etc...
    Very same couple would have probably been for quarantine (as it seems a high % are)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s just a walking shambles at this stage. We’re being tasked to get the numbers down but new variants are being imported week on week through no fault of ours, yet when cases rise it’s us who is punished with extended lockdowns. It’s enough to make you cry

rusty cole wrote: »
    and if there was a massive fire in the place and joe blogs with the keys wont go up on to floor 6 which is an inferno..they roast in a locked room ?

FFS.

I'm trying to figure out what keys he's talking about.
    No doubt if the government introduced mandatory quarantine here, there will be some people challenging it in the courts. I can't imagine it's an easy thing to enforce on a legal or constitutional level.
    Do any EU countries have mandatory quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No doubt if the government introduced mandatory quarantine here, there will be some people challenging it in the courts. I can't imagine it's an easy thing to enforce on a legal or constitutional level.

Countries outside the EU do and seem to to getting back to normal.

Maybe being part of the EU is actually a load of bolox when you think about it.

• Advertisement

Keys to what????

They don't give keys to the hotel room. I didn't freak out earlier on about 2 families opening their doors at the same time.

Haha, am usually pro EU but have just had that same thought this last while :pac:

No , it will pass ( shakes herself and slaps face !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

screamer wrote: »
    Where there’s 3 cases of the Brazilian variant there are more, guaranteed

We've mostly got the "highly infectious" UK strain here. Makes me wonder how the South African and Brazilian variants fare in competition against that - will they be able to spread, or is the British strain going to leave them dead?

They don't give keys to the hotel room. I didn't freak out earlier on about 2 families opening their doors at the same time.

So.... how did they open the door at the same time to take in food?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Haha, am usually pro EU but have just had that same thought this last while :pac:

No , it will pass ( shakes herself and slaps face !)

With the vaccine shambles aswell it would make you think.

You asked that when they implement hotel quarantine, what's to stop people from walking out.

I only said what they do in Australia and New Zealand. They don't give them keys.

UK is in the same spot as us and not getting back to normal yet.
    I'm just wondering if the reluctance on EU governments to impose mandatory quarantine is something to do with something silly as, I dunno, human rights?

With the vaccine shambles aswell it would make you think.

It certainly would , that and the lack of thought and accountability over the faux pas revoking the Northern Ireland Protocol ..my God :eek:
    Even Arlene couldn't have written that one !

My apologies, it wasn't you freaking out about it earlier.
    I just saw the username and assumed!

But anyway, yeah without their room key they won't be able to get back into their room (after opening it from the inside) and that's terrible. They would have to leave the hotel and go home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Said this the other day.

Have been working in a lot of different companies the last few weeks and mask wearing and social distancing is out the window.

Seems people WFH etc don't realise how a lot of places other than retail that they don't see, are really not bothered anymore.

Ronan Glynn saying a lot of cases are workplace related this week makes sense to me now.

Then I'm thinking is it a case of people who have had covid already think they are OK and don't need to stick to the guidelines anymore????
    I think most people have just about had enough and I for one just don't give a f""" anymore they can stick their lockdowns as I will not be abiding by them anymore.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Right show some evidence of people wanting vaccines to fail. Show where they rejoice in high case numbers ( not people who are scared by the high numbers, people concerned by them, or who may feel they are too high or may get higher).

So simple enough: Where are people praying the vaccines are a failure and who actually said they were happy case numbers were high?

I wouldn't like to waste your time. You could start with the people who liked your post. And if you're short one or two, you could add yourself.

I've absolutely no doubt, for instance, that the Kubla Khan lad sets off a party popper for every death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My apologies, it wasn't you freaking out about it earlier.
    I just saw the username and assumed!

But anyway, yeah without their room key they won't be able to get back into their room (after opening it from the inside) and that's terrible. They would have to leave the hotel and go home instead.

I can understand the assumption based on this...https://touch.boards.ie/thread/reply/2058153525/post/116286227

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

What's the excuse for us getting the Brazilian strain and it being related to direct travel from Brazil? Its seems so stupid I'm stuck to 5k in the milddle of nowhere, yet people are still flying to and from Brazil. I've lost any faith in this govt. Mandatory quarantine is easy and will save lives, but we're dancing around it rather than taking decisive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The fact that they are still arsing around talking about quarantine kinda sums up the current handling of this pandemic......shoddy.

Get it implemented, now!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think it's very important to state that a variant that is associated with one country e.g. South Africa or Brazil may not necessarily arrive into Ireland directly from that country. In the same way as an Irish person travelling to New Zealand in January could potentially have exported the UK variant to NZ. The variants can spread to other countries and we can import it from those just like we could the variant's origin country.

tails_naf wrote: »
    What's the excuse for us getting the Brazilian strain and it being related to direct travel from Brazil? Its seems so stupid I'm stuck to 5k in the milddle of nowhere, yet people are still flying to and from Brazil. I've lost any faith in this govt. Mandatory quarantine is easy and will save lives, but we're dancing around it rather than taking decisive action.

My guess, they will wait until a strain arrives that completely eludes vaccines and warn us while they do nothing, then wait until it becomes the dominant strain and then they will begin to talk about acting. Maybe talk about travel bans or talk about quarantine.
    So in essence, sweet **** all really.

We already don't comply to some eu rules, like when people generating electricity and sending it back to the grid they are not paid for it, and the EU fining us for it is the only reason we may bring that in, so given we flout rules as is we could bring mandatory quarantine in and argue it with the EU later or pay the fine. I'd like mandatory quarantine as I'd gladly take it if it meant I could legally visit family in the US, I'd quarantine for 14 days both sides of travel no problem.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The fact that they are still arsing around talking about quarantine kinda sums up the current handling of this pandemic......shoddy.

Get it implemented, now!

It's probably easier (legally) to confine citizens in their home than enforce quarantine on non Irish citizens (based on people from Northern Ireland not being able to be fined etc...). So in essence they have a quarantine enacted, it's just reversed!

Turtwig wrote: »
    I think it's very important to state that a variant that is associated with one country e.g. South Africa or Brazil may not necessarily arrive into Ireland directly from that country. In the same way as an Irish person travelling to New Zealand in January could potentially have exported the UK variant to NZ. The variants can spread to other countries and we can import it from those just like we could the variant's origin country.

But if everyone is quarantined, we're safe from it. This is not theoretical, other countries with bigger populations have done it.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Get it implemented, now!

Yes .
    If I hear Micheal Lehane say one more time that the cabinet will have discussions.....next week !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement