Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

The government, with all there pr guru's need to have a very hard think about where they are with this. They seem to be solely relying on nphet for advice and not taking on board human behaviours or public mood.

As a poster said yesterday, a relaxation of the 5km rule to maybe 15 or 20km would be enough of a carrot to keep the majority on side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I have definitely seen more movement over the last week or so. Simple things like more people on the supermarket, more cars on the roads and seeing people buying cases of beer which is probably a sign of house parties again.

My fear is that the ongoing nonsense of directing our ire at a small number of inward travel while talking about restrictions for the next 8/10 weeks will just lead to more people finding their own solutions to opening up. People need hope. The messaging is terrible - it is all stick.

Yeah agree with that. House parties are going on again, I work in a large supermarket and it’s not just alcohol, it’s large joints of beef for 6-8 people or more etc! It’s normal people having their kids or grandkids over for dinner on Sunday. All these older generations are fed up! Watching RTE and I’m surprised they showed it but ina Kilkenny vex centre they interviewed an 85 year old grandmother and she cried she was so happy she got the vaccine and just can’t wait to see her grandkids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

prunudo wrote: »
    The government, with all there pr guru's need to have a very hard think about where they are with this. They seem to be solely relying on nphet for advice and not taking on board human behaviours or public mood.

As a poster said yesterday, a relaxation of the 5km rule to maybe 15 or 20km would be enough of a carrot to keep the majority on side.

What happened to MM medical advisors? They fall by the wayside?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Maxface

What a disaster of a government. No lifting of restrictions until May is madness. No doubt in May it will be "we are nearly there and two more weeks". No plan and no hope. The communications are ridiculous, no transparency at all. In a time of crisis leaders emerge, ours have abdicated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

patnor1011 wrote: »
    What is the most sad is that people still believe that "this is only till vaccine come" or "till vaccine kicks in" all the while we have no idea and for a very long time we will not know if the vaccine available will be working.
    Trials are still not finished up and every vaccine which is being administered now is approved as "under emergency conditions" meaning there is no long term studyof effectiveness or possible delayed response or side effects.
    Throw in virus mutations and nobody really do have any idea what will happen.
    But stay put. It is only till...... Whatever poor excuse comes next.

It's not just people, it's our government as well with the same thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The reopening at Christmas was a disaster and the government got the blame. The polls showed the people were in favour of harsher restrictions. So, don’t be in any doubt that what they are doing is at least partly to punish the population for constantly not agreeing with the government. The government are acting on emotion rather than science.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kha1993 wrote: »

For weeks I’ve read here that people felt the same and they were kind of told they’re edge cases, the general population don’t feel the same, everyone is compliant, etc. But it’s good to read that that view is starting to prevail. Might be taken seriously now that it’s being talked about a bit more mainstream.

We don't yet know what is an edge case and what isn't. Feeling fed up is a vague description that means different things to different people. It doesn't necessarily mean that an individual is no longer willing to comply. It is too vague.

That a GP states this doesn't make it any more or less widespread. It is no different from a GP stating their patients were getting covid from home deliveries. They've no way of knowing either way. You cannot state whether or not a view is prevailing.

You need to survey the population. The last one of these showed support for the measures. Until there is an updated one we should not rely on individual anecdotes to gauge where the public are. They are fatigued undoubtedly that is not the same as they're going give up and stop complying.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Surprise surprise. No reporting of the 100s of people leaving the mosque yesterday by the media in contrast to the hysterical coverage of " take way" pints last year. Political correctness gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So seen as we now have the Brazilian and the British b119 variant do we have an example in another country of which variant will become dominant?
    We know the vaccines at the moment are effective against the British and I think the Brazilian strains.
    The only strain we are worried about is the South African strain as the effacacy of one of the vaccines gets lowered to approx 60%.
    It’s probably inevitable that the South African strain will get here but I wonder which strain will be the dominant?
    Ireland will probably end up being the Petri dish of the world for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

People who say that the lockdown is not working dont realise that it is actually working everyday.
    Our hospitals are coping at the moment and without the lockdown they will quickly get overwhelmed causing many needless deaths.

Now im not saying im for every restriction, the 5km one up to May is a bit much IMO, but most of the restrictions are needed.

Also in regards to people saying that vaccines are resistant to new variants, well that is great so far but how long do we know this can last until a new variant comes along and makes vaccines ineffective ?
    We can not take chances with these new variants emerging as it means we could end up back to square 1 on the vaccination front.

The only way to reduce the risks from these new variants is to have heavy international travel restrictions and quarantine, maybe in the future we could have a list of safe countries who have very low infection rates, but it will have to be very strictly enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

same people that pushed for christmas openings now pushing for easing of restrictions now again after over 1000 deaths in January alone.

Just not thinking logically.

Just hold on for a another 8 weeks & then come the summer things should be alot better. Cases should be low & most of vulnerable should be vaccinated.

I agree the goverment are a disgrace but people doing what they wanted over christmas got us in this mess.
    Also if people some people get there way that means no healthcare for many people battling cancer nevermind covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

jackboy wrote: »
    The reopening at Christmas was a disaster and the government got the blame. The polls showed the people were in favour of harsher restrictions. So, don’t be in any doubt that what they are doing is at least partly to punish the population for constantly not agreeing with the government. The government are acting on emotion rather than science.

If anything your post shows the government are afraid to not listen to the public again after going against the mood at Xmas and making a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tom1ie wrote: »
    So seen as we now have the Brazilian and the British b119 variant do we have an example in another country of which variant will become dominant?
    We know the vaccines at the moment are effective against the British and I think the Brazilian strains.
    The only strain we are worried about is the South African strain as the effacacy of one of the vaccines gets lowered to approx 60%.
    It’s probably inevitable that the South African strain will get here but I wonder which strain will be the dominant?
    Ireland will probably end up being the Petri dish of the world for this.

Yeah, there is the classic D641G change which took over the whole world. There is also the 20A.EU1 which had a brief hit at the top of the media popularity charts last autumn, https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152 . Unfortunately though for 20A.EU1 strain speculation hadn't really matured yet, so although there was some worry about it being potentially more transmissible or severe the message didn't really carry and it quickly lost the media's attention.

Covid market research however has an answer, its all in the names. Turns out the public aren't that interested in 20A.EU1, or D641G, you need a catchy name, like "the Kent variant".

Here's a hot tip, the next up and coming one is the Japanese variant, this one is hot off the press, your neighbour won't have heard about it yet but believe me by the end of the week its going to be the talk of the town, so if you want to show you are in the loop or to demonstrate your sanctimony for the lives of your fellow citizens, you can get in early now calling for restrictions on arrivals from Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

MD1990 wrote: »
    same people that pushed for christmas openings now pushing for easing of restrictions now again after over 1000 deaths in January alone.

Just hold on for a another 8 weeks & then come the summer things should be alot better. Cases should be low & most of vulnerable should be vaccinated.

I agree the goverment are a disgrace but people doing what they wanted over christmas got us in this mess.
    Also if people some people get there way that means no healthcare for many people battling cancer nevermind covid.

Do we stay in constant lockdown? Was in Tesco last week and theres a toy section (one aisle) cordoned off, absolutely laughable stuff that you cant even pick up a few toys to keep the kids entertained especially with them being out of school. Utter madness

Labaik wrote: »
    Do we stay in constant lockdown? Was in Tesco last week and theres a toy section (one aisle) cordoned off, absolutely laughable stuff that you cant even pick up a few toys to keep the kids entertained especially with them being out of school. Utter madness

Or get them a new pair of shoes.

Even get their feet measured.

But you can get a coffee in Starbucks.

DaSilva wrote: »
    Yeah, there is the classic D641G change which took over the whole world. There is also the 20A.EU1 which had a brief hit at the top of the media popularity charts last autumn, https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152 . Unfortunately though for 20A.EU1 strain speculation hadn't really matured yet, so although there was some worry about it being potentially more transmissible or severe the message didn't really carry and it quickly lost the media's attention.

Covid market research however has an answer, its all in the names. Turns out the public aren't that interested in 20A.EU1, or D641G, you need a catchy name, like "the Kent variant".

Here's a hot tip, the next up and coming one is the Japanese variant, this one is hot off the press, your neighbour won't have heard about it yet but believe me by the end of the week its going to be the talk of the town, so if you want to show you are in the loop or to demonstrate your sanctimony for the lives of your fellow citizens, you can get in early now calling for restrictions on arrivals from Japan.

Ok so we don’t know which one out of all the variants is dominant then?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

MD1990 wrote: »

The vast majority of people have "just held on" for nearly a year now.

In an ideal world yes, we'd all abide by restrictions for another 9 weeks.

But that's ignoring human nature, mental health and so on.

I don't believe the people who've broken restrictions from day 1 spouting about their mental health.

But I've seen with my own eyes, my friends and family who stuck to all restrictions up til recently, who are now so fatigued and unable to cope with it all that they're meeting their partner, or a friend or two, or family. And I can't blame them, because I'm about ready to crack up myself.

Obviously we can't just open everything and let it rip. But the government and NPHET have to find a balance because right now, it's too much for most people. You can see it on boards, on social media, through conversations with friends and family, through work. Almost everyone I know now is struggling enormously mentally and are all at the point of giving up.

Something has to give. Something needs to give them some hope. Sending kids back to school helps parents, it doesn't help anyone else.

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    The vast majority of people have "just held on" for nearly a year now.

In an ideal world yes, we'd all abide by restrictions for another 9 weeks.

But that's ignoring human nature, mental health and so on.

I don't believe the people who've broken restrictions from day 1 spouting about their mental health.

But I've seen with my own eyes, my friends and family who stuck to all restrictions up til recently, who are now so fatigued and unable to cope with it all that they're meeting their partner, or a friend or two, or family. And I can't blame them, because I'm about ready to crack up myself.

Obviously we can't just open everything and let it rip. But the government and NPHET have to find a balance because right now, it's too much for most people. You can see it on boards, on social media, through conversations with friends and family, through work. Almost everyone I know now is struggling enormously mentally and are all at the point of giving up.

Something has to give. Something needs to give them some hope. Sending kids back to school helps parents, it doesn't help anyone else.

It helps kids, parents, grand parents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

It helps kids parents, grand parents etc.

How does it help grandparents? Based on current restrictions, they shouldn't be around their grandkids unless living with them.

It helps parents and the kids going to school.

Plenty of people aren't parents. It does precisely nothing to help people with no kids, of which there are hundreds of thousands.

Or get them a new pair of shoes.

Even get their feet measured.

But you can get a coffee in Starbucks.

and you can buy Easter Eggs, Valentines cards, flowers but you can't buy drinking glasses or candles (in Home Store & More). Crazy. Who makes these decisions? Why are drinking glasses non essential after 6 weeks of lockdown, do they not get broken and need replacing? Yet flowers and cards ARE essential??
    Likewise toys, I mind my little grand daughter and at 22 months she needs toys, they are absolutely essential for her (and for my sanity!). She has outgrown the toys she had.. they are all baby toys. Crazy !

• Advertisement

How does it help grandparents? Based on current restrictions, they shouldn't be around their grandkids unless living with them.

Plenty of people aren't parents. It does precisely nothing to help people with no kids, of which there are hundreds of thousands.

Believe it or not.

Many grand parents are minding their grand children as parents still have to work and the kids aren't in school.

See the post above mine for the very example I just gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Rosita

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its universities causing outbreaks moreso than schools.

In fairness it'd be difficult for schools to cause outbreaks when they're closed

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ok so we don’t know which one out of all the variants is dominant then?

It depends on when you are asking, none of them stayed in the lead for too long so far

pUp8a85.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It gets all the bored teens off the streets, that will make life a bit more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Flowers are essential to me I love daffodils tulips to brighten the room and my mood. Strabucks nonessential for me. Different things essential to different people so in my opinion they should reopen everything and have consumers sticking to cough etiqutte, handhygiene, limitednumbers, maskwearing, socialdistancing, staff testing, contact testing etc........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nothing like the discovery of a new variant to make people behave themselves and re focus ther hate and blame on a small minority of people.

Sickening

DaSilva wrote: »
    It depends on when you are asking, none of them stayed in the lead for too long so far

pUp8a85.png

Well the “Kent” variants is accounting for 90% of the cases in Ireland at the moment. So I wonder what will happen with the “Brazilian” variant. Will it take over? Will the Kent variant remain as the dominant?
    What happens if you introduce the SA or as you say the Japanese variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

and you can buy Easter Eggs, Valentines cards, flowers but you can't buy drinking glasses or candles (in Home Store & More). Crazy. Who makes these decisions? Why are drinking glasses non essential after 6 weeks of lockdown, do they not get broken and need replacing? Yet flowers and cards ARE essential??
    Likewise toys, I mind my little grand daughter and at 22 months she needs toys, they are absolutely essential for her (and for my sanity!). She has outgrown the toys she had.. they are all baby toys. Crazy !

The non-essential retail piece is a joke at this stage.

Its only non-essential in the short term. If it was still non-essential after months and months, it wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Nothing like the discovery of a new variant to make people behave themselves and re focus ther hate and blame on a small minority of people.

Sickening

The Government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If its any help Smyths are fantastic and great toy selection online and quick delivery too .

My granddaughter needs shoes and cannot be measured for them , plus the fact that Clarks are very very slow to deliver .My daughter had to borrow shoes from someone who had small shoes put away . I mean seriously that is absolute madness now .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement