Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MD1990 wrote: »
    same people that pushed for christmas openings now pushing for easing of restrictions now again after over 1000 deaths in January alone.

Just not thinking logically.

Just hold on for a another 8 weeks & then come the summer things should be alot better. Cases should be low & most of vulnerable should be vaccinated.

I agree the goverment are a disgrace but people doing what they wanted over christmas got us in this mess.
    Also if people some people get there way that means no healthcare for many people battling cancer nevermind covid.

Do you think we should have stayed in Level 5 lockdown all over December?
    A Christmas surge was coming anyway.
    Either a short sharp one like we got or a prolonged slow one like other countries got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

and you can buy Easter Eggs, Valentines cards, flowers but you can't buy drinking glasses or candles (in Home Store & More). Crazy. Who makes these decisions? Why are drinking glasses non essential after 6 weeks of lockdown, do they not get broken and need replacing? Yet flowers and cards ARE essential??
    Likewise toys, I mind my little grand daughter and at 22 months she needs toys, they are absolutely essential for her (and for my sanity!). She has outgrown the toys she had.. they are all baby toys. Crazy !

Smyths do really fast online delivery. Order today and it will be with your Monday or Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

Turtwig wrote: »

You need to survey the population. The last one of these showed support for the measures. Until there is an updated one we should not rely on individual anecdotes to gauge where the public are. They are fatigued undoubtedly that is not the same as they're going give up and stop complying.

On this, I’ve done a couple of the ESRI and DoH surveys. They’re not great. Very rigid yes/no answers and I’ve been screened out a couple of times for not being worried enough. The questions generally are black/white questions that have no room for nuance such as some relaxation.

Also the type of people doing surveys (me included) generally are content to be sitting at home. 70% of survey respondents certainly don’t equate to general population. I’m sure they’re weighted but still, how you ever get a good representation of society is a good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Nothing like the discovery of a new variant to make people behave themselves and re focus ther hate and blame on a small minority of people.

Sickening

If you’re travelling internationally and not quarantining you deserve blame!

That and we should enforced hotel quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The government really are a mess. Straight back to good ol' FF nod and a wink politics with the journalists in their pockets. One side of the room doesn't seem to know what the other is doing at cabinet meetings.
    Leo may be sneaky as they come but at least last year there was some consistency to the messaging and none of this kite flying bull****. Can't wait for Martin to disappear off in disgrace like Brian Cowan. Joke of a leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

same people that pushed for christmas openings now pushing for easing of restrictions now again after over 1000 deaths in January alone.

Just not thinking logically.

Just hold on for a another 8 weeks & then come the summer things should be alot better. Cases should be low & most of vulnerable should be vaccinated.

I agree the goverment are a disgrace but people doing what they wanted over christmas got us in this mess.
    Also if people some people get there way that means no healthcare for many people battling cancer nevermind covid.

It's not always the same people. I thought opening at Christmas was madness but we're going too far the other way now. I don't think we should be opening up entirely but the 5km is getting hard to take.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Smyths do really fast online delivery. Order today and it will be with your Monday or Tuesday.

that's brilliant - never thought of them! THanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's not always the same people. I thought opening at Christmas was madness but we're going too far the other way now. I don't think we should be opening up entirely but the 5km is getting hard to take.

The main reason for the spike at Christmas was the huge number of house parties and some packed pubs. These were against the restrictions at Christmas but there was almost no enforcement from the guards. At Christmas and throughout the whole pandemic enforcement of restrictions has been far far more of an issue than the level of restrictions at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Roads are much more busy than in March.

Many people are breaking that rule anyway.

If we "officially" ditch the 5km rule cases will rise sharply again,
    Then another hard lockdown with more deaths

The alternative is worse. i do think outdoor events should be allowed though. Meet people outside etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The alternative is worse. i do think outdoor events should be allowed though. Meet people outside etc.

I'm confused. Many aren't keeping to the 5km anyway but we shouldn't do away with it because those of us, here to now keeping to it and all other restrictions or protocols, will cause a sharp rise in cases? And these outdoor events won't be much use with a 5km limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Stuff like outdoor dining , meet ups outdoors have very limited risk. You’d like to think they be allowed after Easter.

Anyway as you must always remind yourself, we are in a holding pattern awaiting what the neighbours do. We will follow suit around 2-4 weeks after them. So U.K. will prob be mostly open By 1 May , us 1 June... hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You're basically saying we should continue punishing people obeying restrictions because actually enforcing them is too much hassle and to be honest, that does seem to be the approach government are taking. It's simply not good enough now we're almost a year into this. What happened to the notion that people could only withstand these restrictions for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm confused. Many aren't keeping to the 5km anyway but we shouldn't do away with it because those of us, here to now keeping to it and all other restrictions or protocols, will cause a sharp rise in cases?
    Because people will go overboard with it like at christmas.

They'll see it as a chance to see as many people as they can before the next lovkdown. Will give them free reign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Labaik wrote: »
    Do we stay in constant lockdown? Was in Tesco last week and theres a toy section (one aisle) cordoned off, absolutely laughable stuff that you cant even pick up a few toys to keep the kids entertained especially with them being out of school. Utter madness

My initial reaction was this sounds like BS. But I guess I can see why they might do this, the issue is that toys don't just get picked up and bought like a loaf of bread, they get mauled by every kid in the shop.
    I wouldn't even want to buy a toy from a shop for that very reason, loads of options online.

No hospitality til at least mid-summer says MM. this time in another interview, on another different radio station (RTÉ RnaG). Drip drip drip..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You'd have to wonder what are they at with their messaging. What's the point in announcing it now? https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1198280/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Seriously, no outdoor dining even?

Are they going to ensure another missed summer in Ireland?

Bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

It helps kids, parents, grand parents etc.

It wont help grandparents when kids are im school and bring the virus home with them

Bonkers

Numbers, variants etc still going to be the stick used to beat us with until late summer while we import all sorts through our pretend quarantine. Human rights of people flying into Ireland > human rights of those living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bonkers

That's the other thing. Does he mean closed entirely? Possibly but it's not explicit. Could still be outdoor only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

and you can buy Easter Eggs, Valentines cards, flowers but you can't buy drinking glasses or candles (in Home Store & More). Crazy. Who makes these decisions? Why are drinking glasses non essential after 6 weeks of lockdown, do they not get broken and need replacing? Yet flowers and cards ARE essential??
    Likewise toys, I mind my little grand daughter and at 22 months she needs toys, they are absolutely essential for her (and for my sanity!). She has outgrown the toys she had.. they are all baby toys. Crazy !

Why didnt you buy a load of them when the shops were open

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Latest from the government to clear up recent confusion...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eod100 wrote: »
    That's the other thing. Does he mean closed entirely? Possibly but it's not explicit. Could still be outdoor only.

He said they will not even consider opening hospitality until mid summer
    No consideration will be given to opening hospitality until mid-summer, Taoiseach Mícheál Martin has said.

Now the optimistic in me hopes that's a worst case scenario tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Kha1993 wrote: »
    No hospitality til at least mid-summer says MM. this time in another interview, on another different radio station (RTÉ RnaG). Drip drip drip..

They are playing mind games with us . They will drip about mid May opening then concede it will be late April and we will be relieved it isn’t May .
    It’s obvious now what they are doing in my opinion

frank8211 wrote: »
    Why didnt you buy a load of them when the shops were open

Because the Taoiseach stated that the lockdown was to last from December 24th (the day following which, children often receive many gifts of toys) until January 12th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They are playing mind games with us . They will drip about mid May opening then concede it will be late April and we will be relieved it isn’t May .
    It’s obvious now what they are doing in my opinion

We’re about 4/5 weeks behind the Uk when it comes to roll out of the vaccine, albeit they’ve only done one dose for a majority(which has been found to very efficacious)
    We’ll see their roadmap out of this on Monday and then we can compare on Tuesday/Wednesday what ours has to say.
    I’ve a bad feeling that this is going to be the endgame for the hospitality, arts and entertainment industries not the virus, as they’ll be worried about the 1 millionth variant that causes us to forget we used to live

Restaurants reopened in Italy 3-weeks ago. Yesterday, they had 15,500 new cases and 348 deaths.

That would be the equivalent of 1,300 cases here and 29 deaths.

Spain has a similar rate to this - with Madrid just having reduced curfew times (up to 11pm) and allowing bars/restaurants to stay open until this hour.

I could go on, but many countries with higher numbers of cases per 100,000 are already opening up to a reasonable and sensible degree.

It's the 20 February.

Compare that progress with what the Irish Government is proposing until at least May.

It's absolute total bonkers. Insane madness. It has to STOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Restaurants reopened in Italy 3-weeks ago. Yesterday, they had 15,500 new cases and 348 deaths.

That would be the equivalent of 1,300 cases here and 29 deaths.

Spain has a similar rate to this - with Madrid just having reduced curfew times (up to 11pm) and allowing bars/restaurants to stay open until this hour.

I could go on, but many countries with higher numbers of cases per 100,000 are already opening up to a reasonable and sensible degree.

It's the 20 February.

Compare that progress with what the Irish Government is proposing until at least May.

It's absolute total bonkers. Insane madness. It has to STOP!

Open up and get our useless police force to actually ENFORCE rule compliance and shut down businesses not complying.

It's actually quite simple, we just don't have a police force capable of doing anything useful other than annoying motorist's on their way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

going to be mental when things do open up again (what's left to open up anyway) . just like xmas everyone was packing everything into 2 weeks because we were told everything was closing again. I see restaurants in italy are opening up again.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Open up and get our useless police force to actually ENFORCE rule compliance and shut down businesses not complying.

It's actually quite simple, we just don't have a police force capable of doing anything useful other than annoying motorist's on their way home from work.

Spot on. I cannot believe how this is playing out in this country compared to others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement