Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The communication is just woeful.

Thursday gives an interview with timelines mentioned
    Friday says oh nothing is set in stone, no dates, don't look ahead etc.
    Saturday - go back on Friday and start looking ahead and putting timings on things.

Read the room MM for christ sake
    Not only that he made the first announcement in the Irish mirror. Now he's been interviewed by RnaG revealing more timelines. That's probably 1% of the population reached, when is he going to tell the rest of us that this is what the plan is?

MM together with LV should address us officially from Government Buildings, even if the message is to convey a good amount of uncertainty. Tell us what it's looking to be from where we stand, eg no hospitality until at least mid-summer, and maybe not then if things are very bad. But to remind us that vaccines promise to prevent death & serious illness, and when we see that society could start to function that things will change for the better, and that there is a strong beacon of light on the horizon, just that we don't know the distance to go yet and be prepared for that. Give us all the hope, let us hear you say it officially from the podium and we might listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The only good thing about the government's record on messaging and communication, is that it has brought us all together to condemn them for it.

They're absolutely woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We're picking up speed on the vaccination front.

Kudos again to Shane Hastings (username is IrishStuff09), who has gone from being the swab guy to the Irish Pandemic Communications Tzar in the last couple of months.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1363096570892324868?s=20

1 out of every 25 people with one dose
    1 out of every 44 people fully vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

MM together with LV should address us officially from Government Buildings, even if the message is to convey a good amount of uncertainty. Tell us what it's looking to be from where we stand, eg no hospitality until at least mid-summer, and maybe not then if things are very bad. But to remind us that vaccines promise to prevent death & serious illness, and when we see that society could start to function that things will change for the better, and that there is a strong beacon of light on the horizon, just that we don't know the distance to go yet and be prepared for that. Give us all the hope, let us hear you say it officially from the podium and we might listen.

Not much hope in that statement but you're right

Better than the drip drip drip of leaks in the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

God I am amazed how much this nine weeks thing has affected me.

At least previously there was some hope, vaccines, only a couple more weeks. The thoughts of this until summer is really getting me down.

I am a bit more sympathetic to all those who were talking about mental health up to now. I understood it but today I am just dreading it.

God help anyone who lives alone or who is out of work. Jesus. This is so just too much for people for to long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The government are a disgrace .

Opposition parties useless aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I agree. Never thought I would say it but bring back Leo's cheesy speeches at least there was some hopeful message or attempt at clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I agree. Never thought I would say it but bring back Leo's cheesy speeches at least there was some hopeful message or attempt at clarity.

For all his failings at least the communication was fairly on point with him and Harris. There wasn't much deviation and it was better to say we don't know than put arbitrary timelines out in the open.

People knew where they stood I think anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

At least previously there was some hope, vaccines, only a couple more weeks. The thoughts of this until summer is really getting me down.

I am a bit more sympathetic to all those who were talking about mental health up to now. I understood it but today I am just dreading it.

God help anyone who lives alone or who is out of work. Jesus. This is so just too much for people for to long.

Live alone, working from home for the past year. Dreading the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This one is really effecting me too. Its the uncertainty and the 5km limit, which immediately kills hobbies.

Work, and the push for completed projects (hospital) is absolutely relentless.
    Home, and being slowly pushed into looking after two elderly parents each with their own building health issues.
    Personally, nothing but killing time on youtube. No relationship with no prospects, no hobbies or travel, hemmed in due to the above. Not how I imagined 37 to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Whilst no one would excuse any intimidation of Donnelly, it's obvious to most people at this stage that the public doesn't like nor want Donnelly as Health Minister.

Fianna Fail doesn't even like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

hmmm wrote: »
    That's exactly it. I'm not a government communications expert, but what is so difficult about this? Who decided it was a good idea to brief the Irish Mirror, and today put the Taoiseach on RnaG to dripfeed messages to the public.

They're not acting as a government. They all see each other as big political rivals and always act as such.
    They haven't been able to put it to one side for the sake of the country. Some of them never even tried.

They don't have a unified message to communicate. They always seek to undermine each other. So bits and bobs come out here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I suspect what's happening is that people like the Taoiseach are buried in meetings about Covid for 10 hours a day, and think the entire country are hearing what they are hearing.

You see it in business where a senior manager or CEO mentions something to employees, and is shocked that there is anger/confusion/outrage because it's the first time the employees have heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The people shouting the loudest for a hard lockdown are the ones now saying that's it's too strict.

You can't win.

I never thought we needed a strict lockdown. Closing pubs and restaurants was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

People in this situation should be allowed form ''families'' with friends or at least one friend. It is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

This one is really effecting me too. Its the uncertainty and the 5km limit, which immediately kills hobbies.

Work, and the push for completed projects (hospital) is absolutely relentless.
    Home, and being slowly pushed into looking after two elderly parents each with their own building health issues.
    Personally, nothing but killing time on youtube. No relationship with no prospects, no hobbies or travel, hemmed in due to the above. Not how I imagined 37 to be.

Sorry to hear the pressure on you . Always darkest before dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I never thought we needed a strict lockdown. Closing pubs and restaurants was enough.

No, house parties are the biggest issue, always have been but still not policed in a serious way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

From a politics point of view, It’s no surprise Fine Gael essentially let FF have Taoiseach, Health and Education. Even they couldn’t have predicted this sh*tshow these 3 have made of it.

Leo and Harris were good-ish communicators during a bad time. They gave dates. Obviously MM can’t, but he could give metrics. Saying we don’t know isn’t good enough 6 weeks later. But why would Fine Gael want to touch this again? Why would they want to speak up? From a purely political perspective, they will wipe the floor with FF next election. All they’ve to do is sit tight. And the losers are the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just going through twitter and there’s some serious despondent people now! Can’t understand the constant rhetoric about variants and extensions of lockdown

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1363111352127078401?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jackboy wrote: »
    No, house parties are the biggest issue, always have been but still not policed in a serious way.

you give people no other outlet then what do people expect. house parties going to increase massively the longer the current restrictions are in force.

de gascun on the radio now, nothing positive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Form a social bubble with someone. You don't have to be on your own.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/#

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seems like muslims can do what they want here, if it was some catholic church the gardai would probably swarm the place

https://twitter.com/hermannkelly/status/1363074273133424641

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gruffalux wrote: »
    People in this situation should be allowed form ''families'' with friends or at least one friend. It is not fair.

Social bubbles are for that purpose.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/#

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gruffalux wrote: »

They are . To avoid isolation you can form a bubble with another household

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Regarding schools, why is it more important to get junior infant's back to classrooms to do some arts and crafts than leaving cert students that aren't prepared for the more important week of their lives so far in the leaving cert?

You obviously don't have any children in jnr or snr infants if you think that they just do arts and crafts all day.

In snr infants they are already well into there early reading and literacy education, children who fall behind on this may struggle severely in the comming years.
    Not all children learn at the same pace and I think this may have a massive effect on some children in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

silverharp wrote: »
    seems like muslims can do what they want here, if it was some catholic church the gardai would probably swarm the place

https://twitter.com/hermannkelly/status/1363074273133424641

I certainly don't condone any gathering outside the rules, but that guy on Twitter assuming because they are Muslim they are not Irish citizens really pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

My Mam's neighbour just committed suicide today, that's now four I've heard of since December, two of which were in my own apartment building. I think now with the announcements, even the most hardcore of lockdown fanatics can agree the restrictions have gone far past the point of ridiculous. I'm sure the mental health of so many people has now been fully crippled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Regarding schools, why is it more important to get junior infant's back to classrooms to do some arts and crafts than leaving cert students that aren't prepared for the more important week of their lives so far in the leaving cert?

You've obviously no experience of the current primary school curriculum. These younger students are much less able to do online school work. Leaving certs are being given priority too by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Eh because in junior infants they are learning to read and write.

You know something that is probably the most important thing to learn in life.

Ah no you were just messing with this post weren't you?!??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement