Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sorry to hear the pressure on you . Always darkest before dawn

Thanks. It is difficult though. Very difficult.

The other thing I didn't mention is that there are no siblings, I'm an only child, so is my mum, and all of my dads relatives are in England. When they get ill, there is literally no-one to look after them but me. I'm dreading the future. If my dad died suddenly tomorrow my mum would need several hours of help/care per day from the day after - and she is refusing to even go to the doctors at the moment due to COVID worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

You obviously don't have any children in jnr or snr infants if you think that they just do arts and crafts all day.

In snr infants they are already well into there early reading and literacy education, children who fall behind on this may struggle severely in the comming years.
    Not all children learn at the same pace and I think this may have a massive effect on some children in the future.

It’s also a very common time for teachers to spot things like learning, behavioural, emotional difficulties etc. The earlier problems are identified and addressed the better the outcome for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

silverharp wrote: »
    seems like muslims can do what they want here, if it was some catholic church the gardai would probably swarm the place

https://twitter.com/hermannkelly/status/1363074273133424641

When you’re posting unsubstantiated BS from a member of the Irish freedom party, and their racist drivel, then you’ve already lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

Whilst no one would excuse any intimidation of Donnelly, it's obvious to most people at this stage that the public doesn't like nor want Donnelly as Health Minister.

Fianna Fail doesn't even like him.

I think he's doing a great job personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

wadacrack wrote: »

If that’s true and I don’t see why Glynn would lie then this government is a bigger joke then I thought previously.
    If they got this right we would still have restrictions however they would be more manageable for us to stick to.

Ironhead93 wrote: »
    My Mam's neighbour just committed suicide today, that's now four I've heard of since December, two of which were in my own apartment building. I think now with the announcements, even the most hardcore of lockdown fanatics can agree the restrictions have gone far past the point of ridiculous. I'm sure the mental health of so many people has now been fully crippled.

That's horrible. :(
    Have heard other cases like this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jams100

Dubit11 wrote: »
    I think he's doing a great job personally
    I don't excuse what's happened to him but he is a bottom of the barrel politician, just great that vincent browne exposed him before he retired, this video really ages well

If this is going to last until may or maybe june they need to be sensible and allow more outdoor activities. Walking on a beach is not dangerous, playing golf or tennis is not dangerous. Going to a mountain or a beauty spot isn't dangerous either.

The weather will be improving soon. They can't keep people couped up within the same 5 KM for another 3 months.

The spread now is mainly workplaces like factories, hospitals etc. Unavoidable as these are essential.

Or

People meeting up with other households, particularly in larger groups for parties or celebrations. This I think is where they need to target.

Live alone, working from home for the past year. Dreading the next few months.

I'm in exactly same position as you, bottlebrush. I have done everything to avoid contact etc, it's very very depressing altogether, very difficult for us. The only comfort I take is that it must be even worse if we were to be stuck living with somebody horrible :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I'm in exactly same position as you, bottlebrush. I have done everything to avoid contact etc, it's very very depressing altogether, very difficult for us. The only comfort I take is that it must be even worse if we were to be stuck living with somebody horrible :D

I am. Not going into detail for the sake of privacy.

I coped well enough during previous lockdowns. I've now tried to get a phone appointment with my doctor for a referral for counselling. I can't do zoom/phone therapy for reasons I don't want to disclose, so I'd imagine I'll be waiting a good 6+ months.

Have also heard of local suicides over the past number of weeks, and 3 friends are also trying to access mental health treatment now. One has succeeded so far in getting it.

Ironhead93 wrote: »
    My Mam's neighbour just committed suicide today, that's now four I've heard of since December, two of which were in my own apartment building. I think now with the announcements, even the most hardcore of lockdown fanatics can agree the restrictions have gone far past the point of ridiculous. I'm sure the mental health of so many people has now been fully crippled.

That's awful but i heard recently that suicides are down year on year. I think a lot of people are more relaxed because lack of involvement in the rat race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

That's awful but i heard recently that suicides are down year on year. I think a lot of people are more relaxed because lack of involvement in the rat race.

Whetr did you hear that? Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

BTownB wrote: »
    Whetr did you hear that? Link please.

I don't have a link but I too read that in the newspaper a couple of months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would like to see the data on that. There were 3 recovered from the water in Galway last week and 1 missing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The contempt politicians have for the country, telling barefaced lies on national media. Eamon Ryan should be nowhere near the levers of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Heard Ryan on the radio, there is something wrong with the guy, he has a truth and sympathy deficit that corresponds with a class of a sociopath. He just goes on radio and lies and tells half truths with this faux concerned voice. having clowns running the country in these times has really been very bad luck. Varadakar , Martin and Ryan are a disaster.

I would like to see the data on that. There were 3 recovered from the water in Galway last week and 1 missing.

Iv'e no access to data but someone who works for Pieta House was on Newstalk recently discussing it and although she gave no firm reason for it im thinking it could be the reason. Either way suicide is and will remain a major issue in Ireland pandemic or not.

Heard Ryan on the radio, there is something wrong with the guy he has a truth and sympathy deficit that corresponds wit a class of a sociopath. He just gets on an lies and tells half truths with this faux concerned voice. having clowns running the country in these times has really been very bad luck. Varadakar , Martin and Ryan are a disaster.

Catherine Connolly called them the '3 Unwise Men' in the Dail a few times. Spot on.

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    1 out of every 25 people with one dose
    1 out of every 44 people fully vaccinated

Adding those who have had at least one dose of the vaccine to those who have previously been infected with the virus means that over 10% of the population have some degree of immunity as we speak.
    The communication is just woeful.

Thursday gives an interview with timelines mentioned
    Friday says oh nothing is set in stone, no dates, don't look ahead etc.
    Saturday - go back on Friday and start looking ahead and putting timings on things.

Read the room MM for christ sake

Thing is, you've a guy who's been humiliated in three general elections, made a cast-iron promise to the electorate 16 days before the election that a vote for him was categorically not a vote to go into government with Fine Gael. Reneged on that immediately, having been lying about it all along, because he elevated his desire to be Taoiseach above Ireland being well-governed.

Why would anyone expect him to treat the people of this country with anything other than the utter disdain and contempt he's been treating us with since the day he lied his way into the Taoiseach's office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's absolute total bonkers. Insane madness. It has to STOP!

Posts like this make me laugh. Such a paucity of vocabulary. INSANE MADNESS.

Posters trying to outdo each other with the hysterical language. UTTER DEVASTATION. COMPLETE MADNESS. ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL.

As if anyone with any influence actually gives a fcuk about the opinions of some randomers with loads of likes on boards.

ABSOLUTELY FARCICAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bennyl10 wrote: »
    When you’re posting unsubstantiated BS from a member of the Irish freedom party, and their racist drivel, then you’ve already lost.

its not BS if it happened, its social media you take your chances. Can you confirm that no such thing is happening here?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This is from September

Data indicates no rise in suicides during early lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness that is from the first few weeks of the pandemic. There was determination and motivation at the time to beat the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Everything I have seen and heard over the last few days leads me to the conclusion that they’re going to do a copy and paste job on last years Roadmap to easing of restrictions and we’ll have the same again this year.

The only difference is that last year we only went into lockdown in mid March, this year we have been in level 5 since October with a brief 3 week break at Christmas.

So if it follows the same pattern it looks like the first week of June for non essential retail, the end of June for hairdressers and gyms, and the end of July/start of August for restaurants.
    Before obviously going back into level 5 at the start of October to ‘break the circuit’ and save Christmas so we can make some ‘meaningful’ memories with our families.
    MM said the end of the second quarter for personal services and mid summer for hospitality, so that lines up with last years plan.

I can’t believe that a whole year later we are in an even worse position with so much uncertainty even though we are already vaccinating people.
    I can’t believe that after all we have learned about this virus, we know so much more than we did last year, we are still making stupid mistakes like letting god knows who into the country to do as they please while we risk breaking the law and being fined if we dare venture more than 5k from our homes.
    I can’t believe they have the audacity to say that forcing quarantine on incoming travellers is too harsh a measure and would be impossible to police, while they have 5 MILLION people (with half a million of those out of work) practically under house arrest for the majority of the last year.

We will very likely spent more of this year in full lockdown than we did in 2020, and that to me indicates utter failure on behalf of the government.
    They are an incompetent bunch of self serving headless chickens who only care about covering their own arses.

The manner in which this information is being delivered to the public is nothing short of scandalous, the repeated leaks are completely unprofessional and downright disrespectful.
    Announcing another 9 weeks of lockdown at 10pm at night via a tabloid rag shows how insensitive and irresponsible they are.
    If they had any consideration or compassion for the fact that so many people are at the end of their tether and hanging on by a thread, they would never deliver serious news like that in such a careless way.
    It’s infuriating that they think their actions, particularly over the last week, have been an acceptable way for any government to conduct themselves.
    They are a complete and utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any chance the mods can ban Tomas Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

The government are showing absolute contempt for the workers and buisness owners who are currently out of work.
    This drip feeding of info and constant leaks is no way to communicate with people who are struggling and in real danger of loosing livelihoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Any chance the mods can ban Tomas Ryan?

Why? Do you need a safe space from opinions you don't like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The issue is the opposition favours an even harder lockdown.... there is actually no opposition to this from any political party so the government can be as conservative as they like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement