Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Can someone explain to me why it is taking so long to implement the travel quarantine from certain countries? What exactly is the hold up? Brazilian variant in the country now ,while more time is wasted. I just don't get it.

Why don't they just ban entry to anyone who was in Brazil and the other countries on the list in the previous 3 weeks until they get it up and running?

Its so infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why it is taking so long to implement the travel quarantine from certain countries? What exactly is the hold up? Brazilian variant in the country now ,while more time is wasted. I just don't get it.

As far as I'm aware no other EU country is enforcing mandatory hotel quarantine are they? So there is no copy and paste template. Any legislation will be ripe for law suits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why don't they just ban entry to anyone who was in Brazil and the other countries on the list in the previous 3 weeks until they get it up and running?

Its so infuriating.

I think at this stage everyone in the country has asked these questions.

Everyone except the government that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Everything I have seen and heard over the last few days leads me to the conclusion that they’re going to do a copy and paste job on last years Roadmap to easing of restrictions and we’ll have the same again this year.

The only difference is that last year we only went into lockdown in mid March, this year we have been in level 5 since October with a brief 3 week break at Christmas.

So if it follows the same pattern it looks like the first week of June for non essential retail, the end of June for hairdressers and gyms, and the end of July/start of August for restaurants.
    Before obviously going back into level 5 at the start of October to ‘break the circuit’ and save Christmas so we can make some ‘meaningful’ memories with our families.
    MM said the end of the second quarter for personal services and mid summer for hospitality, so that lines up with last years plan.

I can’t believe that a whole year later we are in an even worse position with so much uncertainty even though we are already vaccinating people.
    I can’t believe that after all we have learned about this virus, we know so much more than we did last year, we are still making stupid mistakes like letting god knows who into the country to do as they please while we risk breaking the law and being fined if we dare venture more than 5k from our homes.
    I can’t believe they have the audacity to say that forcing quarantine on incoming travellers is too harsh a measure and would be impossible to police, while they have 5 MILLION people (with half a million of those out of work) practically under house arrest for the majority of the last year.

We will very likely spent more of this year in full lockdown than we did in 2020, and that to me indicates utter failure on behalf of the government.
    They are an incompetent bunch of self serving headless chickens who only care about covering their own arses.

The manner in which this information is being delivered to the public is nothing short of scandalous, the repeated leaks are completely unprofessional and downright disrespectful.
    Announcing another 9 weeks of lockdown at 10pm at night via a tabloid rag shows how insensitive and irresponsible they are.
    If they had any consideration or compassion for the fact that so many people are at the end of their tether and hanging on by a thread, they would never deliver serious news like that in such a careless way.
    It’s infuriating that they think their actions, particularly over the last week, have been an acceptable way for any government to conduct themselves.
    They are a complete and utter disgrace.

No, the difference is we have vaccines now!

The only thing that is getting copied and pasted is your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Everything I have seen and heard over the last few days leads me to the conclusion that they’re going to do a copy and paste job on last years Roadmap to easing of restrictions and we’ll have the same again this year.

The only difference is that last year we only went into lockdown in mid March, this year we have been in level 5 since October with a brief 3 week break at Christmas.

So if it follows the same pattern it looks like the first week of June for non essential retail, the end of June for hairdressers and gyms, and the end of July/start of August for restaurants.
    Before obviously going back into level 5 at the start of October to ‘break the circuit’ and save Christmas so we can make some ‘meaningful’ memories with our families.
    MM said the end of the second quarter for personal services and mid summer for hospitality, so that lines up with last years plan.

I can’t believe that a whole year later we are in an even worse position with so much uncertainty even though we are already vaccinating people.
    I can’t believe that after all we have learned about this virus, we know so much more than we did last year, we are still making stupid mistakes like letting god knows who into the country to do as they please while we risk breaking the law and being fined if we dare venture more than 5k from our homes.
    I can’t believe they have the audacity to say that forcing quarantine on incoming travellers is too harsh a measure and would be impossible to police, while they have 5 MILLION people (with half a million of those out of work) practically under house arrest for the majority of the last year.

We will very likely spent more of this year in full lockdown than we did in 2020, and that to me indicates utter failure on behalf of the government.
    They are an incompetent bunch of self serving headless chickens who only care about covering their own arses.

The manner in which this information is being delivered to the public is nothing short of scandalous, the repeated leaks are completely unprofessional and downright disrespectful.
    Announcing another 9 weeks of lockdown at 10pm at night via a tabloid rag shows how insensitive and irresponsible they are.
    If they had any consideration or compassion for the fact that so many people are at the end of their tether and hanging on by a thread, they would never deliver serious news like that in such a careless way.
    It’s infuriating that they think their actions, particularly over the last week, have been an acceptable way for any government to conduct themselves.

Great post. 100% agree. Shambolic.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

Better tell the government because going by their over cautious approach they don't have any faith in the vaccine roll out suppressing the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The issue is the opposition favours an even harder lockdown.... there is actually no opposition to this from any political party so the government can be as conservative as they like.

What do people want? The vulnerable population won't be vaccinated until near enough the end of April anyway, which would necessitate nine weeks of some sort of lockdown. By the time we get there, vaccinations will start having an impact on transmission and new cases. I honestly can't see serious restrictions lasting past early June, with the noise coming out on the vaccine front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Why? Do you need a safe space from opinions you don't like?

He is like a broken record. He is far less qualified than the likes of Luke O’Neill (and indeed not sure he is fully qualified in what he preaches), he is not willing to even consider the weaknesses of his argument, and he has become extremely politically critical - now moving into climate change policy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

As far as I'm aware no other EU country is enforcing mandatory hotel quarantine are they? So there is no copy and paste template. Any legislation will be ripe for law suits etc.

I don't really understand "law suits", by whom?, and what laws,
    A lot of Europe does not have thousands of Brazilians coming and going for work, will it be Larry Goodman who files a lawsuit?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

He is like a broken record. He is far less qualified than the likes of Luke O’Neill (and indeed not sure he is fully qualified in what he preaches), he is not willing to even consider the weaknesses of his argument, and he has become extremely politically critical - now moving into climate change policy....

Yeah, but is he wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Simple fix. Austria is the only EU country on the list. Ban flights from there and go ahead with the legislation for the other non EU countries.

I remember last spring Varadkar saying we couldn't stop entry to other EU countries which was nonsense as lots of EU countries closed their borders then.

They're just hiding behind that as an excuse IMO.

As time goes on this Brazilian variant will get more of a footing in the country. They only do sequencing on a small % of tests so God knows how many have been missed.

jackboy wrote: »
    Yeah, but is he wrong?

I believe he is. I do not think zero Covid is a realistic strategy. Fine in theory, perfect for NZ and Australia but does not work for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You’d better let the government know then, because they are behaving as if we are in March 2020 and that this is a brand new threat. Everything they have said this week indicates we will be having the exact same roadmap as last year, despite said vaccines.
    7 months of level 5 is a completely disproportionate response to the current threat and will harm far more people in the long run than the virus ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I certainly won’t be voting for either of them ever again after this. The fact they did a better job than Donald Trump or Boris Johnson is hardly a high bar.

The post Christmas period has just been an unmitigated disaster and if we end up with the Brazilian variant becoming established because of lack of testing at airports I think there needs to be resignations.

Communication is poor, confusing and spin-laden and I’m still seeing a lack of clarity on the vaccine programme.

I’m finding myself planning emigration tbh - not everywhere is in the mess that here, the U.K. or the US is in.

I believe he is. I do not think zero Covid is a realistic strategy. Fine in theory, perfect for NZ and Australia but does not work for us.

Fair enough but he is entitled to his opinion, especially as zero covid is the only policy that has worked anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Its so infuriating.

It's less effort to just tell everyone to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

prunudo wrote: »
    Better tell the government because going by their over cautious approach they don't have any faith in the vaccine roll out suppressing the virus.

What does that mean? The whole approach is based on the vaccine. We are in a situation where we are so close to having a rollout that can facilitate us moving back to relative normality. The idea that we should threaten this by not continuing to suppress the virus is ridiculous.

I like everyone wish this rollout was happening faster to facilitate a quick road out of this mess but at the moment we don't have that in place and until it does there aren't other options. People talking about moving down the restriction levels as quickly as we can in this extremely pivotal phase sound like complete lunatics when you are reading their view here. There seems to be no awareness of how short-sighted doing that would be right now.

Qualifications and experience matter

Tomás J. Ryan, PhD

Principal Investigator

Assistant Professor

School of Biochemistry & Immunology
    Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institutes
    & Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience
    Trinity College Dublin (TCD)

Honorary Senior Research Fellow

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
    University of Melbourne, Australia

Email / ResearchGate / Google Scholar / Twitter

Education
    Trinity College Dublin (2001 – 2005)
    B.A. (Moderatorship) in Natural Sciences: Human Genetics

University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
    Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Grant Laboratory, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute

Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and Wolfson College, Cambridge (2009 – 2010)
    Junior Research Fellow, Genes to Cognition Program

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (2010 – 2016)
    Postdoctoral Fellow, Tonegawa Laboratory

Trinity College Dublin (2016 – Current)
    Assistant Professor in Neuroscience
    School of Biochemistry and Immunology
    Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience

Professor Luke O’Neill

Luke A.J. O'Neill

Title: Professor (Chair of Biochemistry) Affiliations: School of Biochemistry and Immunology

Trinity College Dublin, Ireland Email: laoneill@tcd.ie

EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS 1985: Awarded B.A. (Mod.) in Natural Sciences (Biochemistry) Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. Class: I 1988: Awarded PhD in Pharmacology, University of London

EMPLOYMENT

2011 Founder Director, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute 2007 Appointed to the Chair of Biochemistry, Trinity College Dublin 2005 Head, School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Trinity College Dublin

Appointed Professor of Molecular Immunology 2004 Head of Department of Biochemistry, Trinity College Dublin Appointed Science Foundation Ireland Research Professor

Visiting Professor, Monash University, Australia 1999 Visiting Professor, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge MA 1999 Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Trinity College Dublin 1996 Fellow, Trinity College Dublin 1991 - 1999

Lecturer in Biochemistry, Trinity College Dublin 1988 - 1991 Medical Research Council Post-doctoral fellow, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK

AWARDS AND HONOURS

Elected member of European Molecular Biology Organisation

2008 Appointed Chair of the European Research Council Infection and Immunity Panel

Immunology 'Guru', National Institutes of Health

Royal Dublin Society / Irish Times Boyle Medal for Scientific Excellence

Science Foundation Ireland Researcher of the Year Award

McGill University Dan Perry Award Lecture

University of Oxford Jenner Institute Distinguished Lecturer

Appointed Chair of the Programme Committee for Dublin European City of Science

European Open Science Forum Conference

European Research Council Advanced Grant awardee

Appointed to Board of Reviewing Editors, Science

President, International Cytokine Society

Royal Irish Academy Gold Medal for Life Sciences

European Federation of Immunology Societies Medal

Listed in Thompson / Reuters top 1% of scientists (2002- 2012) in Immunology and

Pharmacology/Toxicology based on citations

Visiting Fellow, Christ's College Cambridge

Visiting Professor, GlaxoSmithKline, Stevenage, UK

Elected Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)

Milstein Award, International Cytokine and Interferon Society

CURRENT RESEARCH Research Area: Molecular and Cellular basis to inflammation and innate immunity. Toll-like receptors. Pro-inflammatory cytokines. Signal transduction in the immune system. Molecular analysis of inflammatory and infectious diseases. Immunometabolism and Metabolic Reprogramming in Immunity

Fair enough but he is entitled to his opinion, especially as zero covid is the only policy that has worked anywhere.

But he does not react well to people who disagree with him and is making political and personal judgements against politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

What does that mean? The whole approach is based on the vaccine. We are in a situation where we are so close to having a rollout that can facilitate us moving back to relative normality. The idea that we should threaten this by not continuing to suppress the virus is ridiculous.

I like everyone wish this rollout was happening faster to facilitate a quick road out of this mess but at the moment we don't have that in place and until it does there aren't other options. People talking about moving down the restriction levels as quickly as we can in this extremely pivotal phase sound like complete lunatics when you are reading their view here. There seems to be no awareness of how short-sighted doing that would be right now.

I suppose in reality, until we see a plan we can only go by the leaks but from what i can see the timeline for reopening is more drawn out than last year when there was no vaccine at play.

And its not that i expect or even want a rapid reopening, but at present, given where numbers are and how they are ten times less than early Jan, there is scope to open things similar to Oct/Nov lockdown, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Who gives a fcuk about lawsuits, ban all travel from high risk countries such as Brazil, South Africa, the US, etc. We should be protecting our citizens above all others, numerous countries such as Germany doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Well said! The problem is that there is no opposition who will call them out.

But he does not react well to people who disagree with him and is making political and personal judgements against politicians.

Our politicians are behaving appallingly so it’s not surprising they are getting negative feedback.

The truth is still that the policy Tomas Ryan is pushing is the only policy that has been successful world wide. We just endlessly repeat failed policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Who gives a fcuk about lawsuits, ban all travel from high risk countries such as Brazil, South Africa, the US, etc. We should be protecting our citizens above all others, numerous countries such as Germany doing this

The problem is if we don’t we’ll be joining that list of high risk banned countries. We’re already banned from a lot of places due to the U.K. varient exploding here since Christmas and now being responsible for 90% of cases.

It was a lovely Christmas present that people brought back with them due to our refusal to enforce external sanitary health borders basically.

If we get a big outbreak of other variants, which are far far more preventable at borders than the U.K. one was, we are basically cutting ourselves off from the world and setting safe reopening of tourism back months and maybe until 2022 or 2023 if the vaccines struggle with these.

Do you want to be safely open to travel or just open to coronavirus variants? There isn’t a choice of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

From hearing CdeG on the radio earlier it looks as though the suppression rate even with the current restrictions due to the B117 being dominant isn't great. I guess opening anything more than the schools and construction will certainly drive the R-number above 1 and we're then on an express road back to 2000 in hospital pretty quickly given the high baseline we'd be starting from.
    People are understandably angry but we are where we are now, and hands are essentially tied until there are a couple of million vaccines in arms unfortunately.

Our politicians are behaving appallingly so it’s not surprising they are getting negative feedback.

The truth is still that the policy Tomas Ryan is pushing is the only policy that has been successful world wide. We just endlessly repeat failed policies.

It has been successful in places which are different to us. In our circumstances it is all about managing things as best we can. Overall it has been reasonably successful and I am not anti lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Are contact tracers working weekends?

Thanks

It has been successful in places which are different to us. In our circumstances it is all about managing things as best we can. Overall it has been reasonably successful and I am not anti lock down.

It hasn’t been successful. It has been a failure. Economy destroyed, thousands dead, so many other lives destroyed. This is not success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Germany has closed one of the borders from Austria but we can talk about quaranting people for another few weeks. What's the rush?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Looking at Germany, they have basically banned airlines from transporting people from high risk countries. So it puts the onus on the airline rather than the traveller.
    Easier legally not to have people arriving rather than dealing with enforced quarantine on arrival.
    Still doesn't prevent Irish citizens arriving from Brazil though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement