Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

Ireland has had 4,000 deaths with one of the strictest lockdowns in the world (the equivalent of 267,000 deaths if Ireland were the size of the US).

Sweden has - with very limited/acceptable restrictions - (double the population of Ireland) had 12,000 deaths.

To put it another way, Ireland is only 2,000 deaths away from equalling Sweden (which sounds like a lot, but over the course of 1 year, it isn't). You would expect, given our incessant restrictions, our death toll would be SIGNIFICANTLY less than other countries. We find out that it isn't the magic bullet that NPHET, Chairman Holohan, and Prefect Glynn promise it to be.

This is the value of perpetual lockdown, then?

What a waste.
    What a disaster NPHET is.
    And what a disaster Michael Martin and his government are.

And this madness, which has proven to be largely ineffective in its goals, is set to continue for weeks ahead.

If those stats are correct, these lockdowns have been the biggest waste of time and resources in recent memory. Seriously you'd swear they're actively trying to destroy businesses with their approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

Garda will let that one go for sure, but yeah whoever reported them should get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

NPHET are all “this virus loves alcohol” but do you know what this virus loves more than alcohol? Travel! Which is how it got here in the first place. Yet the government fail to “dig a little deeper” and do their part in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ironhead93 wrote: »
    If those stats are correct, these lockdowns have been the biggest waste of time and resources in recent memory. Seriously you'd swear they're actively trying to destroy businesses with their approach.

Well it doesn't really work like that, people in Sweden won't magically stop dying for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The past twelve months have shown me that there are an awful lot of selfish and twisted people in this country. Busy bodies, conspiracy theorists, and downright ignorant people at both extremes of any issues or opinions regarding this pandemic. Common sense, common ground and an acceptance of the reasoning of others or the realities of what they much endure or decide has diminished

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I read that earlier and it sickened me. Out for a hike in freezing cold weather with no one else around. You would say something if it was a crowded area, but they were safe with no one around. Rescued a dog with such freezing cold temperatures and people are so bitter that they report them for breaking the 5km rule.

God, why can't people have some common sense?

What have people become?

People have been encouraged to spy on their neighbours, judge them, report them to the authorities.

There is an 75 minute long show on the State radio network every weekday afternoon in which people are encouraged to telephone it to denounce any neighbours and colleagues who display insufficient adherence to the Government's policies.

People have become petty, judging, and interfering as a result. Those who already had those tendencies were encouraged and praised in them. There was even talk of giving them fluorescent tabards and allowing them to shriek at citizens on the street and issue fines.

It's going to take a long time to rebuild trust within society.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

I read that earlier and it sickened me. Out for a hike in freezing cold weather with no one else around. You would say something if it was a crowded area, but they were safe with no one around. Rescued a dog with such freezing cold temperatures and people are so bitter that they report them for breaking the 5km rule.

What’s good for the goose not good for the gander?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Shocking carry on but unfortunately the Gardai have been instructed not to apply common sense either, fair enough it seems they'll mostly send people home rather than fine them, but they don't apply any common sense about where they send them home from.

This might sound like im being controversial for the sake it, and I certainly wouldn't report them. But their actions are the reason why this isn't getting better. Everyone is bending the rules and when everyone breaks the rules even a little bit then then things don't go back quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This might sound like im being controversial for the sake it, and I certainly wouldn't report them. But their actions are the reason why this isn't getting better. Everyone is bending the rules and when everyone breaks the rules even a little bit then then things don't go back quickly.

Their actions are absolutely not why this not getting better . One their own on a mountain with no one in sight ?

Exactly. ,saving a bloody dog doesn’t give you an exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah you are being controversial for the sake of it you were on earlier accusing a poster of manipulating figures on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

The lodge they were staying in may be the reason for the complaint as the owner is a major covid denier and has actively spoken out against everything from vaccines to restrictions (not just now but right from the beginning). She has taken advantage of promoting their lodges as being for mental wellness etc just to get around the rules - it looks like she is being investigated as opposed to the couple

Yeah you are being controversial for the sake of it you were on earlier accusing a poster of manipulating figures on purpose

Don’t see anything this poster has said as being remotely controversial . Rules were broken that’s a fact .

Well the poster was nearly 1000 cases off and also didn't say how many swaps were taken over the course of the previous week compared to this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well the poster was nearly 1000 cases off and also didn't say how many swaps were taken over the course of the previous week compared to this week.

And corrected it the minute he realised he made a mistake

b0nk1e wrote: »
    People have been encouraged to spy on their neighbours, judge them, report them to the authorities.

There is an 75 minute long show on the State radio network every weekday afternoon in which people are encouraged to telephone it to denounce any neighbours and colleagues who display insufficient adherence to the Government's policies.

People have become petty, judging, and interfering as a result. Those who already had those tendencies were encouraged and praised in them. There was even talk of giving them fluorescent tabards and allowing them to shriek at citizens on the street and issue fines.

It's going to take a long time to rebuild trust within society.

I’ve said this before but at least we have a cure for Covid. It’s another thing to cure the rot that has divided people and pervaded through society and shattered our ability to have any empathy and compassion. Neighbours spying on one another and reporting people to the guards, you have to live alongside these people long after Covid is gone. I’m lucky that I’ll still be able to look people in the face after this once the masks are gone but I know some people can’t say the same

Its something if they gathered for a large house party and that's one reason that it's not getting better. But jeez, on their own. They're not to blame here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I’ve said this before but at least we have a cure for Covid. It’s another thing to cure the rot that has divided people and pervaded through society and shattered our ability to have any empathy and compassion. Neighbours spying on one another and reporting people to the guards, you have to live alongside these people long after Covid is gone. I’m lucky that I’ll still be able to look people in the face after this once the masks are gone but I know some people can’t say the same

If selfish people are prolonging the misery for all of us then I'm glad people are reporting them.

They aren't more important than anyone else that they can do as they please.

• Advertisement

Its something if they gathered for a large house party and that's one reason that it's not getting better. But jeez, on their own. They're not to blame here.

This particular scenario is harmless but it's the mindset that stretching the rules in certain circumstances is okay is what's wrong.

What if 50 people decided to climb the mountain or 500. We can't be making certain exceptions.

If selfish people are prolonging the misery for all of us then I'm glad people are reporting them.

They aren't more important than anyone else that they can do as they please.

We are talking about people visiting family here, one year on from this hell with the guts of another three months ago. Selfish? You’d swear people were licking people in the streets and spitting on strangers. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Agreed. Imagine giving people you know covid because you didn't care to take any precautions, and them then passing it on to others. Laugh about it all afterwards?

(I realise there are good reasons for ignoring some restrictions, sure, but some people are ignoring restrictions because they just don't care - pretending all the people called out are the only injured party is more than a little disingenuous.)

Just to put it in some context -- 0.08% of the Irish population have lost their lives to COVID.

The average age of mortality is higher than the average life expectancy.

We have a vaccine - indeed, we have an entire menu of vaccines.

We remain closed.

And will do, for the foreseeable future - meanwhile the rest of Europe is slowly opening up.

Am I the only one absolutely disgusted by this set of circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Ireland has had 4,000 deaths with one of the strictest lockdowns in the world (the equivalent of 267,000 deaths if Ireland were the size of the US).

Sweden has - with very limited/acceptable restrictions - (double the population of Ireland) had 12,000 deaths.

To put it another way, Ireland is only 2,000 deaths away from equalling Sweden (which sounds like a lot, but over the course of 1 year, it isn't). You would expect, given our incessant restrictions, our death toll would be SIGNIFICANTLY less than other countries. We find out that it isn't the magic bullet that NPHET, Chairman Holohan, and Prefect Glynn promise it to be.

This is the value of perpetual lockdown, then?

What a waste.
    What a disaster NPHET is.
    And what a disaster Michael Martin and his government are.

And this madness, which has proven to be largely ineffective in its goals, is set to continue for weeks ahead.
    Interesting that you've chosen to compare Ireland with Sweden to further your anti restrictions agenda. You could have chosen to compare Sweden (few restrictions) with Norway (plenty of restrictions) but that wouldn't suit your purpose at all would it?

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Interesting that you've chosen to compare Ireland with Sweden to further your anti restrictions agenda. You could have chosen to compare Sweden (few restrictions) with Norway (plenty of restrictions) but that wouldn't suit your purpose at all would it?

Or I could compare Ireland with Italy, who opened restaurants two weeks ago.

Or I could compare Ireland with Madrid, who have lifted the curfew until 11pm and allowed restaurants/bars to open.

Or I could compare Ireland to Cyprus, who are allowing tourist travel based on vaccines etc.

Or I could compare Ireland to Malta, who never locked down to any significant degree?

Or I could compare Ireland to.....

How many examples would you like before it becomes abundantly clear that Ireland is almost unique in its ridiculously over the top restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The average age of mortality is higher than the average life expectancy.
    That is the average life expectancy from birth, not from the age at which you'd catch covid.

You'd swear covid made you live longer, the way some people keep trotting that bs logic out.

This particular scenario is harmless but it's the mindset that stretching the rules in certain circumstances is okay is what's wrong.

What if 50 people decided to climb the mountain or 500. We can't be making certain exceptions.

It's the stupid rules. Turns out that beaches we were so angry about last year are safe. Being outdoors is fine. But nope, it's just the 5km that gets people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Or I could compare Ireland with Italy, who opened restaurants two weeks ago.

Or I could compare Ireland with Madrid, who have lifted the curfew until 11pm and allowed restaurants/bars to open.

Or I could compare Ireland to Cyprus, who are allowing tourist travel based on vaccines etc.

Or I could compare Ireland to Malta, who never locked down to any significant degree?

Or I could compare Ireland to.....

How many examples would you like before it becomes abundantly clear that Ireland is almost unique in its ridiculously over the top restrictions?

You're picking and choosing what suits an agenda. Country V Country, Country V City etc. Nowhere it is like for like. Companions generally are odious - apples and oranges.

Look at the death rates in some of those locations as well as the full gambit of restrictions they have had over the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Ficheall wrote: »
    That is the average life expectancy from birth, not from the age at which you'd catch covid.

You'd swear covid made you live longer, the way some people keep trotting that bs logic out.

You'd swear covid was the deadliest virus to ever hit the planet the way some people go on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement