Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    More than 800 people caught COVID in hospital this month according to Prime Time

They had all just come back from the hospital wet pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 26/1

Covid cases hospitalised 1689 as of 8pm - decrease from 1803.
    4 hospitals with over 100 cases.

ICU confirmed Covid cases 215 as of 6.30pm - decrease from 217.
    3 deaths in ICU 24 hours up to 8am.
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated 135 as of 6.30pm - increase from 126.

Available ICU beds 26 as of 6.30pm.
    12 ICUs with no available beds.
    Total open and staffed ICU beds 343.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Decent decrease in cases hospitalized

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What is the obsession with ridiculing travel to the Canaries? The people returning from the Canaries were much safer there over Christmas than they were in Ireland!! Much lower COVID rates over there. People really have lost their clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

My wife is a nurse, of 14 years acute hospital experience. Last week was the toughest she's ever experienced.

I've 2 young children, the eldest one is playing a blinder doing her homeschooling. The little guy is in Junior Infants and it's pretty hard trying to teach him to read and write.

I spent 6 months out of work last year. I've done everything to the letter of the guidelines.

My patience with restrictions is being pushed to the limit when I see or hear the ridiculous carry on of international travel as seen on Prime Time a few minutes ago. People traipsing over and back the border up north too. Its a farce. My kids can't go to school but people can go on holidays to Lanzarote..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gruffalux wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/q-a-can-i-still-pass-covid-on-after-i-ve-been-vaccinated-1.4461158%3fmode=amp

That recent article says it is not yet known if one can transmit the corona virus after vaccination.
    Vaccination does not stop one getting covid either - the effect of the vaccine is to hopefully prevent one from having severe disease.

In that case, if one can still catch and as far as we know as of now likely still transmit the virus after vaccination shouldn't it really be up to most people, especially those who are healthy and not old, to decide for themselved to take vaccine or not if they don't want it and just choose to deal with covid if they get it? They will not have an effect on the vulnerable either way if that group are vaccinated.

Maybe I am missing something and if so don't all jump at once. Form an orderly socially-distanced queue, please.

The idea is that the vaccine primes your immune system to handle the virus better. This means you are less likely to become severely sick and also because you should deal with the virus quicker you would be infectious for a much shorter period of time. Reducing illness is the priority as that reduces the anticipated load on the health system.

The trials for Pfizer and Moderna focused more heavily on whether it prevents illness. That said their preliminary data did appear to indicate reduced transmission as well.

Both companies are now doing the follow up on transmission rates. We will also have substantial data from Israel. Early signs from which are also positive.

Just gotta wait two months to know for sure. :)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lot of people on the 'have you been tested tested' thread were negative for cold, sinusitis like symptoms. Lot testing positive too.

Negative for covid you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Eamon Ryan letting slip, "Managing Covid would involve a year or two lockdown".

Get these muppets out of government. Running the country into the ground

In fairness what I think he meant was zero covid would involve no travel into or out of the county for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My mate's Dad died from it this evening, first person I actually knew who's died from it. It sucks because I can't go to the funeral even though I presume it'll be at the church down not far away.
    Can you stand outside or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Eamon Ryan letting slip, "Managing Covid would involve a year or two lockdown".

Get these muppets out of government. Running the country into the ground

What happened

• Advertisement

Being male seems to be one of the major risk factors of severe/deadly Covid, irrespective of any other factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

who is saying full vaccination of the population does not guarantee herd immunity?

Leo Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

who is saying full vaccination of the population does not guarantee herd immunity?

It was mentioned by Leo today in the press conference, but it was more a case of they don't know for sure one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

What is the obsession with ridiculing travel to the Canaries? The people returning from the Canaries were much safer there over Christmas than they were in Ireland!! Much lower COVID rates over there. People really have lost their clarity.

You are still threadbanned.
    Necro wrote: »
    Is this a joke? When have i ever disrespected older people? You are totally out of line with this reply.

I will be reporting your post. Disgraceful, I am offering a fairly level headed different opinion on matters and I have never said anything insulting or out of line.

You are a disgrace and should be removed as a MOD

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again

Mod - week off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My mate's Dad died from it this evening, first person I actually knew who's died from it. It sucks because I can't go to the funeral even though I presume it'll be at the church down not far away.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I think you can stay outside

I dread this happening to my family as even siblings plus children would exceed the limits

Take care of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Turtwig wrote: »
    The idea is that the vaccine primes your immune system to handle the virus better. This means you are less likely to become severely sick and also because you should deal with the virus quicker you would be infectious for a much shorter period of time. Reducing illness is the priority as that reduces the anticipated load on the health system.

The trials for Pfizer and Moderna focused more heavily on whether it prevents illness. That said their preliminary data did appear to indicate reduced transmission as well.

Both companies are now doing the follow up on transmission rates. We will also have substantial data from Israel. Early signs from which are also positive.

Just gotta wait two months to know for sure. :)

Thank you.

I was getting that kind of vibe. That it prevents more severe illness in the vaccinated person. But it can be in the nose and mouth still.
    I just think the unanswered question re transmission is important also. Am kind of surprised we are effectively doing that trial in vitro. Oh well. I am just along for the ride like almost everyone else on the planet, it seems.

Whoops...in vivo, I mean. Time for sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can't believe that today I find myself in full agreement with Alan Kelly and even Paul Murphy today. The government are making a shambles out of this.

Jesus you’d want to watch that. The fact that he’s the best choice the Labour Party had is an indication of how bad the Labour Party are in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Sorry for your friends loss.

Usually you can watch the service online and indeed you can give your respects in many ways perhaps that is outside the church (without compromising safety) or the cemetery (likewise).

Yeah, being close-up in an airborne can for 4 or more hours is very safe. Somebody has indeed lost clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sorry for your loss

Yes you can stand outside but be mindful of social distancing

"However, more than 50 people attended a funeral in the south-east on Monday evening with no social distancing being observed."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-intervene-after-more-than-50-people-gather-for-funeral-in-breach-of-level-5-restrictions-40015616.html

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    It was mentioned by Leo today in the press conference, but it was more a case of they don't know for sure one way or the other.

Well then don’t say anything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It needs to be stated clearly for once and all what the actual goal is. A clear metric with no back tracking.

Is it to get to a point where the health service will not be overwhelmed?
    Is it herd immunity through vaccination/spread?
    Is it driving covid to zero?

We need to define and state the goal. This never ending 'we are concerned about this, we are worried about that, what if xyzzy happens' has to stop. If you dont know what your objective is well then you're never gonna achieve it. Whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It needs to be stated clearly for once and all what the actual goal is.

We need to define and state the goal. This never ending 'we are concerned about this, we are worried about that, what if xyzzy happens' has to stop. If you dont know what your objective is well then you're never gonna achieve it. Whatever it is.

YES. I've been saying this since the start. This ongoing situation with no target endgame is insane and is IMO doing more damage to peoples' mental health and to the economy than any other factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Being male seems to be one of the major risk factors of severe/deadly Covid, irrespective of any other factor.

Aren’t males more likely to suffer heart issues, obesity and diabetes?

Those are certainly prerequisite’s for suffering severe effects of Covid

It needs to be stated clearly for once and all what the actual goal is.

Exactly. The government and NHPET need to be made to answer those questions because at this stage the cards need to be put on the table. The Irish attitude of “ah it’ll be grand” which I’m sure we’ve all had before and in most cases is okay isn’t good for this particular situation. I was on the phone to my mother earlier and she was very concerned and very unlike herself in a panic over this whole mess. It’s taking it’s toll on people and the government need to understand that and provided they do understand that, they need to for once COMMUNICATE this because several times their ability to communicate has left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well then don’t say anything then.

Well he was asked a hypothetical question by the journalist - Gavin Ó Reilly I think - about if we vaccinate the population, what's the problem with throwing the borders open and letting everyone in unfettered?

Leo's answer was we don't know if there's still a risk in that case and that there's an assumption out there that vaccination of enough of the people will achieve lasting herd immunity, but that's still uncertain, because it is.

He didn't just throw it out there as a non sequitur, it was a wider part of an answer to a question. Without the question I doubt he would have even mentioned it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Prediction earlier was 800-1300 in hospital by end of February

We’ve gone down from 1930 to 1690 in 2 days alone.

Many of the hospital cases are hospital pickups and thus not actually in there with the diseases. Case numbers are falling rapidly also.

I think well be closer to the 800 than 1300. Government seem convinced this lockdown isn’t working because of “variants” or “fatigue” or “people walking in wide open spaces more than 5km from their home”. The cases are failing at an incredible rate, thus hospitalisations, ICU admissions and deaths will fall in proportion. We’ve 2 approved vaccines, another approved Friday and another in the coming weeks. I can’t see what all the panic is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

YES. I've been saying this since the start. This ongoing situation with no target endgame is insane and is IMO doing more damage to peoples' mental health and to the economy than any other factor.

They might tell us if they knew themselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Yeah, being close-up in an airborne can for 4 or more hours is very safe. Somebody has indeed lost clarity.

To be fair, there have been some very specific studies demonstrating that the risk of transmission while in an aircraft is very low.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/10/20/925892185/do-masks-really-cut-your-risk-of-catching-covid-19-on-long-plane-flights

That’s not to say the the current and new restrictions announced today are meaningless. I think they serve a purpose until we reduce hospital rates and get ourselves back to a better status on the EU Traffic Light System. But I really don’t believe the risk is actually on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

marno21 wrote: »
    Prediction earlier was 800-1300 in hospital by end of February

We’ve gone down from 1930 to 1690 in 2 days alone.

Many of the hospital cases are hospital pickups and thus not actually in there with the diseases. Case numbers are falling rapidly also.

I think well be closer to the 800 than 1300. Government seem convinced this lockdown isn’t working because of “variants” or “fatigue” or “people walking in wide open spaces more than 5km from their home”. The cases are failing at an incredible rate, thus hospitalisations, ICU admissions and deaths will fall in proportion. We’ve 2 approved vaccines, another approved Friday and another in the coming weeks. I can’t see what all the panic is about.

Leo and the government making suggestions that this is going to last a year is scaring people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement