Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Christy42 wrote: »
    It doesn't if required quickly. We have had legislation passed quickly before and could be done again. I remember when there was a loophole in drug laws it was fixed in a day.

They need to stop hiding behind red tape. Pass it, if it ends up in front of the SC change it before the ruling comes in and it ends up being in force the entire time.

It is utterly frustrating to see people do good work to stop this (not all people it has to be said) only to have those in charge make a mess of it.
    Yeah, but it's not required quickly. It's also not red tape, it's a prudent process to iron out any potential issues with it.
    The SC would just reject or confirm, not make recommendations.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/visit-and-learn/how-parliament-works/how-laws-are-made/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mark1916 wrote: »

Great stuff.

Vaccinations work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Thats just your projection. I intend to be helpful. Some people respond to maibtaining perspective as a reasonable way to cope with suffering.
    The ones who dont get help that way may take comfort from the others who bang the drums constantly but in different ways of how dreadful everything always is everywhere.

Personally , saying people have it worse elsewhere is neither helpful or showing understanding to the difficulties some are experiencing.
    We won't agree so I'll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Personally saying people have it worse elsewhere is neither helpful or showing understanding to the difficulties some are experiencing.
    We won't agree so I'll leave it there.

It helps some people. It may even help a lot of people. Adding to people's misery by posting constantly and angrily about how sh1t everything always is may actually be harming people.
    I understand people have difficulties. I have not seen some of my children in 14 months so I know it is hard. But the way I stay out of pain is to maintain resilience and perspective, and I know that helps others also. You may not agree but that does not give you the right to call me condescending or to imply I am heartless. You don't know me. You are too free with your insults and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Telling others how they should feel based on how bad things may have been in the past is beyond condescending tbh.

That's funny because I don't detect any 'condescension' at all.
    Comparisons give context from which a degree of encouragement can be found.
    Human endurance is surprisingly strong as all kinds of events past and present show.
    Probably better to draw strength from that thought than go around wallowing in self-pitying misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Christy42

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's not required quickly. It's also not red tape, it's a prudent process to iron out any potential issues with it.
    The SC would just reject or confirm, not make recommendations.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/visit-and-learn/how-parliament-works/how-laws-are-made/

It was required months ago. I am aware the SC won't make recommendations. However they will only reject based off a good argument for rejection. If the government feels there is a good case against them they can fix based on that.

It helps some people. It may even help a lot of people. Adding to people's misery by posting constantly and angrily about how sh1t everything always is may actually be harming people.
    I understand people have difficulties. I have not seen some of my children in 14 months so I know it is hard. But the way I stay out of pain is to maintain resilience and perspective, and I know that helps others also. You may not agree but that does not give you the right to call me condescending or to imply I am heartless. You don't know me. You are too free with your insults and abuse.

Pointing out that your post in my opinion was condescending is neither an insult or abuse.
    You seem to take personal offence if someone disagrees with your opinions. Unfortunately that is the danger of posting on a discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

boardise wrote: »
    That's funny because I don't detect any 'condescension' at all.
    Comparisons give context from which a degree of encouragement can be found.
    Human endurance is surprisingly strong as all kinds of events past and present show.
    Probably better to draw strength from that thought than go around wallowing in self-pitying misery.

Thank you.

It was required months ago. I am aware the SC won't make recommendations. However they will only reject based off a good argument for rejection. If the government feels there is a good case against them they can fix based on that.
    That's not true at all, the President refers it, they decide on its constitutionality, nothing else, and if rejected it goes back to government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not according to government. Last I checked they make the decisions on such things, not the internet. The only reason it is being considered is because of the fear of the variants.

I am aware they make the decisions on such things? I am allowed to disagree with those decisions. I am sorry your argument there is coming across as the government said it therefore it must be right which is obvious nonsense? Did you mean something else?

Any reason there is no risk of variants coming over before the legislation passes do you know or why is not needed quickly but will be needed in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Well said .
    Too many posts on here supply nothing but crass baseless claims and smartassery.

I am aware they make the decisions on such things? I am allowed to disagree with those decisions. I am sorry your argument there is coming across as the government said it therefore it must be right which is obvious nonsense? Did you mean something else?

Any reason there is no risk of variants coming over before the legislation passes do you know or why is not needed quickly but will be needed in a few weeks.
    If my opinion or yours had anything useful to say they'd be part of the discussion and they are not. I'm commenting on what I think they are doing. You are free to disagree to your heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The comparison to previous wars and famines etc makes zero sense. Is it supposed to make people feel better? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

bluelamp wrote: »
    In fairness it does look like there is a seasonal aspect to this, January would be a bad month for respiratory illness in general.

Thinking back to last summer - there were probably twenty times the number of flights coming in to Ireland, we were all travelling around the country, restaurants, hairdressers, all retail etc were open - and our cases remained tiny until the winter.

We will be spending more time outdoors from next month on too which will help a lot.

We had single digit of cases last June and June and that would have allowed more mixing safely because the chances of coming across a person carrying and transmitting the virus was slim.

It's different now because we have approx 1000 cases a day and there's more chances of meeting people who are infected with the virus and transmitting the virus.

People are veering off track now at approx 1000 cases a day and it's going to grow from 1000 baseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

SeaMermaid wrote: »
    We had single digit of cases last June and June and that would have allowed more mixing safely because the chances of coming across a person carrying and transmitting the virus was slim.

It's different now because we have approx 1000 cases a day and there's more chances of meeting people who are infected with the virus and transmitting the virus.

People are veering off track now at approx 1000 cases a day and it's going to grow from 1000 baseline.

People are veering off track because they've been locked up for a year. If you drive around Dublin City today it looks like a normal Sunday pre-Covid. People aren't respecting the restrictions anymore which is why cases will never get below 200 a day again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

Yeah my mother says the same. I would just be in the camp that thinks it is not helpful to anyones pain to keep on saying endlessly how terrible everything is. It does not help. In fact it can compound peoples suffering and make it worse. And I have my own pain and worry like everyone else.

I agree with this. The media message has to change from one of gloom to a positive and uplifting tone.

El Sueño wrote: »
    The comparison to previous wars and famines etc makes zero sense. Is it supposed to make people feel better? :confused:

Apparently if someone is having a bad day they should be told about a bombed out family in Yemen and they'll feel better in no time at all.

Fixating exclusively on daily cases is not useful. The concern was always that it would spread to the nursing homes and much older groups. That will soon not be an issue, with vaccinations. Ultimately, hospitals will be a much better indicator of where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This is turning into an absolute farce! Who died and put Nolan in charge? I’m sick of this constant kite flying!

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1363478971699101699?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

They're never going to actually implement this. It just keeps getting pushed back. Meanwhile the rest of us can't go more than 5km from our homes and the variants these people are bringing in are being used as a reason to keep us under restrictions for longer.

5k bad, 5000k good.

Yeah they are clearly playing for time. Absolute joke.

• Advertisement

We had no vaccines last year and very low numbers up until mid September?? Why is Nolan saying this will be an outdoor summer in February!

Cork2021 wrote: »
    This is turning into an absolute farce! Who died and put Nolan in charge? I’m sick of this constant kite flying!

The fact that they're letting NPHET run the country at the moment is frightening.

People are "veering off track" because we are about to enter the fourth month of our two-week lockdown.

A critical mass of people now have absolutely no faith in anything the Government says.

We had no vaccines last year and very low numbers up until mid September?? Why is Nolan saying this will be an outdoor summer in February!
    Because he was asked the question. It does sound like he's hinting at what may be a pretty miserable document!

Variants, variants and more variants. I wonder how many will still take heed of all the restrictions when the weather improves? I suspect many already are making up their own minds on what to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sounds like outdoor events might be ok Sports, Outdoor dining etc. I dont see that as a bad thing

Because he was asked the question. It does sound like he's hinting at what may be a pretty miserable document!

I’ve seen plenty enough already to know this is going to be a negative document, we’ve been so poor at communicating overall that this will go down like a lead balloon once released! I look forward to what the brits have on theirs tomorrow

wadacrack wrote: »
    Sounds like outdoor events might be ok Sports, Outdoor dining etc. I dont see that as a bad thing

Well it’s grand if you’ve the space, but how many pubs/ restaurants have that capability? Not too many around my area or within 20km!

The point is that the whole country should be opened up with social distancing measures in place by the Summer, there's no excuses for it not to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/doctors-blame-virus-outbreaks-on-shoppers-complacency-40086220.html

The virus spread predominantly indoors. Shops are obviously a risk.
    Naive to base opinion just on personal experience.

Presumably 90% of the staff have it by now, they being there all day every day in this environment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement