Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://twitter.com/thisweekrte/status/1363480553345974272

Interesting statement by paschal, think the revised plan might be a little more generous than MM has implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

hynesie08 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/thisweekrte/status/1363480553345974272

Interesting statement by paschal, think the revised plan might be a little more generous than MM has implied.

Link not working

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Link not working

works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Link not working

Fixed it now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting that there still hasn't been a conversation about quarantining COVID positive people in designated facilities and their close contacts.

Just an obsession about variants and locking up people who have arrive with negative PCR tests for 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Monster249 wrote: »
    The point is that the whole country should be opened up with social distancing measures in place by the Summer, there's no excuses for it not to be.

Better to try and look at it from positive point of view. None of theses decisions we can control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

End of the day is we can't go 5km yet people from Brazil can fly in whenever they want-try getting that fact round people here

People do realize that if we lock the borders, the virus is still here right? as we open up it will spread more ye? Regardless of any miniscule seeding that might occur from the tiny amount of people who arrived with negative PCR tests and subsequently develop COVID.

People really are missing the point and it is infuriating to see such intelligent individuals fall down this rabbit hole

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting that there still hasn't been a conversation about quarantining COVID positive people in designated facilities and their close contacts.
    That's because it's called internment! Think Dev did it in the 50s with IRA members.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve really switched off from the news. I’m not following the leaks or snippets of news about restrictions easing and I’m not setting hopes on anything being open by a specific date
    That said I’m very hopeful that vaccines will improve our lives significantly this year. It’s a beautiful day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

People do realize that if we lock the borders, the virus is still here right? as we open up it will spread more ye? Regardless of any miniscule seeding that might occur from the tiny amount of people who arrived with negative PCR tests and subsequently develop COVID.

People really are missing the point and it is infuriating to see such intelligent individuals fall down this rabbit hole

Your point seems to be anyone who tests positive including their close contacts should be incarcerated until they are negative? Or have I picked you up wrong.
    I can see a few problems with this.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's because it's called internment! Think Dev did it in the 50s with IRA members.

But it's okay for Irish citizens returning home?? Nobody find this a little bit worrying and dodgy no!? Maybe it's just me but I find it disturbing that people not only support this but are begging for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Gyms, pools, cinemas and restaurants are reopening for people who have received two doses of the coronavirus vaccine.

Israel unveiled its plan to allow those who have been vaccinated to attend cultural events, fly abroad and patronise restaurants and health clubs by using a “green badge” app on Saturday ahead of the reopening of the economy.

As much as I wouldn't object to something similar here, I also hope it's not something that can work here in the same way. Israel is flying through it's vaccinations. So is now preparing to allow those businesses to reopen if they sign up to the scheme. Our vaccination programme is comparatively snail paced, so I really, really hope that gyms, pools, restaurants, etc can open before we have such a large proportion of the population vaccinated. Maybe such a scheme could be brought in, in Q3 to allow those business to open to bigger capacity if they are part of such a programme? But I really hope we don't have to reach high vaccination numbers before those businesses can open.

Your point seems to be anyone who tests positive including their close contacts should be incarcerated until they are negative? Or have I picked you up wrong.
    I can see a few problems with this.

I definitely don't support it but this is what people want to do to Irish citizens returning home who have negative PCR tests so I am sure it would be supported??

Or hold on a minute, might this have a chance of affecting them and their family? and thus they don't want anything to do with it.

People are so selfish and blinkered in this pandemic it is eye opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But it's okay for Irish citizens returning home?? Nobody find this a little bit worrying and dodgy no!? Maybe it's just me but I find it disturbing that people not only support this but are begging for it.
    People need others to blame for their pretty awful lives and that list is now very long.

I definitely don't support it but this is what 'SOME' people want to do to Irish citizens returning home who have negative PCR tests so I am sure it would be supported??

Or hold on a minute, might this have a chance of affecting them and their family? and thus they don't want anything to do with it.

'SOME' People are so selfish and blinkered in this pandemic it is eye opening.

FYP

I definitely don't support it but this is what people want to do to Irish citizens returning home who have negative PCR tests so I am sure it would be supported??

People are so selfish and blinkered in this pandemic it is eye opening.

My own opinion is returning citizens with a negative PCR test should isolate at their own permanent residence and end their isolation after a further negative PCR test after 5 days.
    Travel has been demonized and provides a useful deflection tactic for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Christy42

Of course we have the virus here anyway. We would also have the virus if I went 10km from my house to a gym. Indeed the amount of spread from a gym is also miniscule near as I can tell. Gyms are correctly shut to stop this spread.

However we do need to stop areas of spread and creating new clusters from trips abroad is a bad idea in general. Even if they are just a few they can spread pretty quick into new social groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

So today so far

- NPHET letter leaked to Sunday times
    - NPHET’s Philip Nolan speculating on what summer will look like on radio
    - Finance Minister hinting at easing on TV/radio.

It’s contemptuous at this point. There’s a massive information vacuum and it’s being filled by constant contradictory information and odd interviews. Terrible leadership from all involved.

Kha1993 wrote: »
    So today so far

- NPHET letter leaked to Sunday times
    - Finance Minister hinting at easing on TV/radio.

It’s contemptuous at this point. There’s a massive information vacuum and it’s being filled by constant contradictory information and odd interviews. Terrible leadership from all involved.

No member of Nphet should be talking to the media. Theirs is an advisory role to government something which Messer's Holohan,. Glynn and Nolan have forgotten.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Of course we have the virus here anyway. We would also have the virus if I went 10km from my house to a gym. Indeed the amount of spread from a gym is also miniscule near as I can tell. Gyms are correctly shut to stop this spread.

However we do need to stop areas of spread and creating new clusters from trips abroad is a bad idea in general. Even if they are just a few they can spread pretty quick into new social groups.

Sorry but these are people returning with negative PCR tests. I agree flights should be halted from hot spots apart from in compassionate grounds, but from countries around our level of virus a person returning with a negative PCR test is much less likely to carry the virus then a random in Ireland that hasn't been tested.

People have to remember the requirement for negative PCR testing on arrival is new and will have a huge impact on cutting down any possible implant to virtually nothing at all.

We cannot treat our ex-pats and foreign nationals and fellow EU citizens as pariahs. It is a terrible road to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

No member of Nphet should be talking to the media. Theirs is an advisory role to government something which Messer's Holohan,. Glynn and Nolan have forgotten.

He says its like dealing with a new virus, that can't be right or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Eh what?

If a lobby group or Tomás Ryan can speak to media. NPHET members should definitely be able to give their own opinions.

Dé Gascuns most recent publishedinterview was very good imo. Cannot see why he should be prohibited from doing that.

mr zulu wrote: »
    He says its like dealing with a new virus, that can't be right or is it?

I didn't hear his interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

b0nk1e wrote: »
    People are "veering off track" because we are about to enter the fourth month of our two-week lockdown.

A critical mass of people now have absolutely no faith in anything the Government says.

The lockdown is so disappointing and I hate it so much. I miss so much from my life before but the alternative is not pretty either. The alternative is to ignore the restrictions and risk a viral infection, a hospital stay, perhaps a long term illness from that and seeing deaths in people who are no where near a coffin dodge stage in their lives.

Also the key to a successful vaccination programme will be get the infection rates down as much as possible in communities. The population needs to be on board with that too. Its a new vaccine and a two needle injection, there's more planning involved, hiccups at the start was bound to happen but it will ramp up. The population needs to be on board with that otherwise its just bound to fail from the start.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Eh what?

If a lobby group or Tomás Ryan can speak to media. NPHET members should definitely be able to give their own opinions.

Dé Gascuns most recent publishedinterview was very good imo. Cannot see why he should be prohibited from doing that.

Well we will have to disagree, the governments job is to run the country not to be bounced into decisions by an advisory group who run to the media instead of conversing with the elected government first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

wadacrack wrote: »
    Sounds like outdoor events might be ok Sports, Outdoor dining etc. I dont see that as a bad thing

Doesn't sound great to me. We had less restrictions last summer with no vaccine. And how long after summer will they start worrying about a winter surge even though they'll say there's no proof it's seasonal ahead of the summer? I'm not saying everything should open right now but schools and construction should start back this week and review the numbers in 3 weeks and if hospital numbers are still decreasing get rid of 5km rule and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well we will have to disagree, the governments job is to run the country not to be bounced into decisions by an advisory group who run to the media instead of conversing with the elected government first.

Lobby groups, members of the electorate all run to the media.

You've also moved the goalpost? Your original issue was NPHET members speaking to the media. Now you've tacked on "first".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Kha1993 wrote: »

What was he saying?

• Advertisement

Once 65+ and vulnerable groups are vaccinated the sole metric on this virus should be hospital numbers, case numbers will become largely irrelevant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement