Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Kha1993 wrote: »
    So today so far

- NPHET letter leaked to Sunday times
    - NPHET’s Philip Nolan speculating on what summer will look like on radio
    - Finance Minister hinting at easing on TV/radio.

It’s contemptuous at this point. There’s a massive information vacuum and it’s being filled by constant contradictory information and odd interviews. Terrible leadership from all involved.

It’s a Mickey Mouse setup with some of the biggest clowns in the country pulling the strings.
    The leak set the bar low early on and no sanction against him.he should be ashamed of himself.
    How he’s still in a job and not facing criminal investigation is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Turtwig wrote: »
    Lobby groups, members of the electorate all run to the media.

You've also moved the goalpost? Your original issue was NPHET members speaking to the media. Now you've tacked on "first".

It is the governments job to impose or lift restrictions, when did it become Nphets job to advise the public of what restrictions they are seeking to impose or lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

No member of Nphet should be talking to the media. Theirs is an advisory role to government something which Messer's Holohan,. Glynn and Nolan have forgotten.

They are running the country and running us into a hell of mental health issues that seem to be totally ignored.

The 5km rule achieves what exactly? Why is me taking my kids to the local park vs taking them to somewhere else outdoors more than 5km away.
    It makes no ****ing sense where i am outdoors when I am keeping away from people.

I am tired of listening to the same **** every day when there is no offering of anything positive from them.

1 year in and the answer is still to lock everyone up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

My own opinion is returning citizens with a negative PCR test should isolate at their own permanent residence and end their isolation after a further negative PCR test after 5 days.
    Travel has been demonized and provides a useful deflection tactic for the government.

Yeah right. That has worked great so far.

544462.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It is the governments job to impose or lift restrictions, when did it become Nphets job to advise the public of what restrictions they are seeking to impose or lift?

What?

I'm can't understand your post.

You stated NPHET members shouldn't be speaking in the media.

Are you standing by that statement or modifying it to something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

One thing that has to stop is members of NPHET going on the airwaves to tell us what the restrictions will be. NPHET have zero decision making power, they are an advisory body and the government makes the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They are running the country and running us into a hell of mental health issues that seem to be totally ignored.

The 5km rule achieves what exactly? Why is me taking my kids to the local park vs taking them to somewhere else outdoors more than 5km away.
    It makes no ****ing sense where i am outdoors when I am keeping away from people.

I am tired of listening to the same **** every day when there is no offering of anything positive from them.

1 year in and the answer is still to lock everyone up

Lock up paddy Irishman and tell him if he’s a good man we will soon flatten the old curve you mean.
    Meanwhile leave airports open and let any fcuker who wants to travel in.I’m fed up of the whole fcukin lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

is_that_so wrote: »

It dosent sound that bad tbh. No worse than what we already know. People just been outraged again for the sake of it. If the Government listened to NPHET we would been a far better situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Turtwig wrote: »
    What?

I'm can't understand your post.

You stated NPHET members shouldn't be speaking in the media.

Are you standing by that statement or modifying it to something different?

It's quite simple but I suspect you are deliberately acting as if you don't know what I am saying. Nphets job is to advise the government on the actions needed to contain the virus. In my opinion they should not be running to the media with what restrictions should be imposed or lifted that is the governments job. By all means if they wish to discuss vaccines, variants fine. The policy of restrictions is a government function not a remit of Nphet. Last October demonstrated quite clearly that Holohan believes he runs the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

One thing that has to stop is members of NPHET going on the airwaves to tell us what the restrictions will be. NPHET have zero decision making power, they are an advisory body and the government makes the decisions.

Would you prefer that they are censored? That would be good for government I suppose. For instance pre Christmas we wouldn't know that NPHET advised that hospitality could be reopened OR household visits could resume not both. Government went for cake and eat it approach and we now how that worked out.

If NPHET was censured the government would have plausible deniability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yeah right. That has worked great so far.

544462.jpeg

Hold on a minute? You are comparing the above socializing of a couple with an incoming passenger who has tested negative for COVID and is isolating for 5 days pending a second PCR test? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Cork2021 wrote: »
    This is turning into an absolute farce! Who died and put Nolan in charge? I’m sick of this constant kite flying!

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1363478971699101699?s=21

Thank you so much Sir Philip Nolan for giving us permission to breathe air outside this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Would you prefer that they are censored? That would be good for government I suppose. For instance pre Christmas we wouldn't know that NPHET advised that hospitality could be reopened OR household visits could resume not both. Government went for cake and eat it approach and we now how that worked out.

I would prefer if they understood their role, it's not hard. Advising the government on the impact of various potential scenarios is what they should be doing. Telling the government what to do via the airwaves is not their job.

Lock up paddy Irishman and tell him if he’s a good man we will soon flatten the old curve you mean.
    Meanwhile leave airports open and let any fcuker who wants to travel in.I’m fed up of the whole fcukin lot

Airports open!? Anybody arriving in has to have had a negative PCR and self-isolate for 14 days.

Sealing the borders does not equal opening up society - you do realise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's quite simple but I suspect you are deliberately acting as if you don't know what I am saying. Nphets job is to advise the government on the actions needed to contain the virus. In my opinion they should not be running to the media with what restrictions should be imposed or lifted that is the governments job. By all means if they wish to discuss vaccines, variants fine. The policy of restrictions is a government function not a remit of Nphet. Last October demonstrated quite clearly that Holohan believes he runs the country.

Ah ok I think I get you now.

You've no problem with them speaking to the media but it should really be after announcements rather in advance?

I hope you can understand why I thought from
    "
    No member of Nphet should be talking to the media.

You were referring to a complete void of their appearances.

Airports open!? Anybody arriving in has to have had a negative PCR and self-isolate for 14 days.

Sealing the borders does not equal opening up society - you do realise that?

Has to self isolate or actually does self isolate??

So what if they have plausible deniability?
    What does that even mean in context of government? They lie about everything else why not this **** show they are presiding over?

Has to self isolate or actually does self isolate??
    I thought self-isolation is now legally enforceable from red list countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Does anybody miss 2020, I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The summer of house parties, whilst business dies a death. Plenty of people in their 20s restricting movements as they live with parents, that will not happen when their parents get vaccinated. There will end up being a large gap between what's allowed and what's actually happening. They'll be keeping hospitality shut for little benefit

Just because they let Tom, Dick and Harry in from London over Christmas when cases there were soaring without a COVID test and advisory self-isolation doesn't mean going to the extreme end of the spectrum is the right move.

We now have mandatory preflight negative PCR testing for all arrivals and legally enforceable quarantine for red list countries.

You really feel we should go further? That's not a road we should go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9283471/Glasses-wearers-three-times-likely-catch-Covid-people-without-spectacles.html

That's mad. Research from India shows people who wear glasses are two to three times less likely to catch Covid.
    Last year a Chinese study found people who got covid were 5 times less likely to wear glasses than the general population.

RuCiax1.gif?noredirect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Gruffalux wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9283471/Glasses-wearers-three-times-likely-catch-Covid-people-without-spectacles.html

That's mad. Research from India shows people who wear glasses are two to three times less likely to catch Covid.
    Last year a Chinese study found people who got covid were 5 times less likely to wear glasses than the general population.

RuCiax1.gif?noredirect

So it can get into the eyes then? Shouldn't we all be wearing goggles?

So it can get into the eyes then? Shouldn't we all be wearing goggles?

If one must, I think something sexier than goggles can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

RuCiax1.gif?noredirect

That's very interesting. I should be less vain and wear my glasses all the time like I should be.

Makes sense though.

That's very interesting. I should be less vain and wear my glasses all the time like I should be.

Makes sense though.

I only wear mine for driving. But maybe some nice sunglasses if out and about might be an option :cool: And if people say you look like a berk for wearing them in Lidl, I can say it's covid protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I only wear mine for driving. But maybe some nice sunglasses if out and about might be an option :cool: And if people say you look like a berk for wearing them in Lidl, I can say it's covid protection.

Thing I don't understand. I thought that touching items isn't much of a risk anymore. But glasses wearers touch their eyes less, so makes me think you can pick it up on your hands and transfer it to your mouth, nose and eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Well it’s grand if you’ve the space, but how many pubs/ restaurants have that capability? Not too many around my area or within 20km!
    There's no excuse not to start planning for this now. Close off roads, provide coverings.

We won't because we didn't last year and apparently the claim was "we don't have the climate for it", so they will have to stay closed. Last year I blamed the government and local councils for this, but this year I blame the hospitality industry organisations for not lobbying to get the infrastructure in place for Summer. We know from the disaster at Christmas that indoor-anything is a long way from opening, and there's no point giving out about it during a pandemic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement