Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Thing I don't understand. I thought that touching items isn't much of a risk anymore. But glasses wearers touch their eyes less, so makes me think you can pick it up on your hands and transfer it to your mouth, nose and eyes.

Of course covid is sometimes on things. This is to be expected. It is air borne and also settles on things if it is present in the air. It then lasts different lengths of time depending upon the material. This is logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah right. That has worked great so far.

544462.jpeg

I was only thinking of this graphic and the example they used the other day. Completely trying to scare people and put the blame on things like nights away, going for a meal, meeting people and pubs/restaurants. I think this was around late August or September when cases were around 200-300. You don't see them make one now when cases are 3 times higher, suspect it wouldn't look good on them if it was people picking it up in work, care facilities, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

So with vaccines that can effectively stop transmission, surely we should be looking at eradication rather than letting the horrible bastard become endemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

So it can get into the eyes then? Shouldn't we all be wearing goggles?

Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

So with vaccines that can effectively stop transmission, surely we should be looking at eradication rather than letting the horrible bastard become endemic?

Unfortunately it’s already endemic and it’ll not be eradicated because it will keep mutating. We may lessen it, but we’ll never get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Only if you can get every country in the world to sign up to this approach? Not everyone can afford to sit in a lockdown for another couple of years.

I like ZeroCovid as an idea, and I like the big thinking approach, but it's unrealistic to think the island can be sealed off from the rest of the world for any length of time.

If you look at the US, they have decided their economy is worth more than the people the virus will kill. Countries like India have found it has barely affected them. These are massive countries which are unlikely to support the measures necessary for eradication.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That'll be the next moving of the goalposts probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

screamer wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s already endemic and it’ll not be eradicated because it will keep mutating. We may lessen it, but we’ll never get rid of it.

Such confidence you speak with..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Mckonkey in the radio telling us covid may evade the vaccines and not to get excited.

Absolutely Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mckonkey in the radio telling us covid may evade the vaccines and not to get excited.

Absolutely Disgraceful.

He knows his time in the limelight is nearing an end, hopefully!

How he can say this after the news out of Israel last few days is just sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Absolutely Disgraceful.

McKonkey,s a doom merchant and has been all through this and has been proven wrong a number of times .
    He just can’t help himself when ever a microphone is put in front of him. Why the media still interview him I don’t know .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Absolutely Disgraceful.

Good ole Sam

Optimistic as usual :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Absolutely Disgraceful.

I stopped listening to the likes of him and luke oneill about a month or so into the start of this sh1t....

I have no respect for their opinion....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Absolutely Disgraceful.

At this stage it feels like the next thing they will say is there is just no hope, just give up. We need some kind of positivity. Every day it seems there's a new expert on the news with bad news. Yesterday there was a random doctor saying don't tell the kids they are going back to school. Today the vacation doesn't work against the Brazilian strain. What next?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Absolutely Disgraceful.

All of these guys like McConkey, Staines, Ryan, Killeen etc. make me wonder how good our educational institutions are when these lads hold high level positions such as Professor. Whatever their initial stances were at the start of this thing, when it was an unknown, its very concerning that they seem to refuse to acknowledge the science and data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

He knows his time in the limelight is nearing an end, hopefully!

For ages I couldn't put my finger on what it was that annoyed me so much about McConkey. Unlike others here I have no problem listening to the likes of Tomas Ryan or Gerry Kileen and the like so it was puzzling me what I had against McConkey. Then someone on twitter hit the nail on the head. He catastrophises everything. He's not saying we need further restrictions or this will go on longer than we might want or any of the normal stuff. It's always the most disastrous thing possible. What he hopes to achieve by essentially telling people to abandon all hope I don't really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Airports open!? Anybody arriving in has to have had a negative PCR and self-isolate for 14 days.

Sealing the borders does not equal opening up society - you do realise that?
    do you really believe they are, probably in work the next day or going to relatives house. What do they do if they live in a house share. Its like when we start having tourists coming back, do you think they'll self isolate, will they fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Absolutely Disgraceful.

Sure we have the vaccines getting rolled out and we are getting gloomier.
    People like him should be gagged. Doomiest man around.

Open the ****ing country and lets get our lives back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The RCSI should ask McConkey what research is he basing his remarks that the Brazil variant evades vaccines on?

If he can't provide it he should retract the statement. On the face of it, it appeared a grossly irresponsible statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

On a slightly lighter note,

UK plan is due tomorrow
    Irish revised plan Tuesday.

Anybody think it's going to be a "can I copy your homework." "Yeah just change a few things so nobody notices"

Michael desperately trying to change dates to look like it's his idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Absolutely Disgraceful.

He’s an absolute donkey. I’ve no doubt the vaccines will work and when it comes to my turn I will certainly be getting it, but if you were in between two minds about getting it the narrative out of these people lately would not endear you to it. Restrictions still needed after it, masks still needed after it, no social gatherings, Christmas possibly off the cards and now we’re being told they may not even work. So if you were in any way undecided then why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Mcdonkey still at it I see.
    Why he's still getting airtime is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Interesting that in the Zero Covid utopia of Melbourne today the crowd booed and jeered the Government during the final cup presentation...looks like mandatory quarantine plus totalitarian state laws keeping them locked down for months on end didn’t go down too well.
    Funny how none of the Zero Covid misinformation givers here reference Victoria or Melbourne with promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Australians disagree with their government for more reasons than they disagree. Covid actually has very little to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolutely Disgraceful.

Is he basing that on any evidence?

Because that's the bare minimum I'd expect from a medical and scientific professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Turtwig wrote: »
    Australians disagree with their government for more reasons than they disagree. Covid actually has very little to do with it.

I think being locked down for 4 months under draconian rules might have something to do with it. Do you remember crowds booing at the Australian final previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is he basing that on any evidence?

Because that's the bare minimum I'd expect from a medical and scientific professional.

Ah come on he predicted 80,000 to 120,000 deaths yet he still gets airtime. I believe at this stage RTE is deliberately trolling the public.

SeaMermaid wrote: »
    The population needs to be on board with that otherwise its just bound to fail from the start.

How do you get the population on board if they're being repeatedly lied to and treated with absolute contempt?

The publication of the What Tony Will Let Us Do plan this week is the Government's last chance to convince an increasingly angry public that it's acting in good faith.

I anticipate compliance will collapse in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

For ages I couldn't put my finger on what it was that annoyed me so much about McConkey. Unlike others here I have no problem listening to the likes of Tomas Ryan or Gerry Kileen and the like so it was puzzling me what I had against McConkey. Then someone on twitter hit the nail on the head. He catastrophises everything. He's not saying we need further restrictions or this will go on longer than we might want or any of the normal stuff. It's always the most disastrous thing possible. What he hopes to achieve by essentially telling people to abandon all hope I don't really know.

Spot on. Even Ryan, I can tolerate, he generally backs it up with a plan, even if you don’t agree. With McConkey everything is doomed. I know some people have reservations whether vaccines will 100% work. But with McConkey, I get the feeling he wants them not to work. Like it would be great on a scientific and research basis for him if it doesn’t work and it goes on and on. He’s the only person I get this from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I find it hilarious that they tell us constantly they cant predict what next week will bring and they must wait for numbers and cases etc . But suddenly they can predict what the summer will be like and how we can’t expect hospitality to open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement