Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

Any statement McConkey makes should include, in the headline, the phrase "Man who overestimated Covid deaths by 6250% makes new claim".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that they tell us constantly they cant predict what next week will bring and they must wait for numbers and cases etc . But suddenly they can predict what the summer will be like and how we can’t expect hospitality to open
    The government and NPHET have repeatedly said this week that they will not commit to dates for any easing, and that it would be irresponsible to put targets in place

Nolan is the latest
    Prof Nolan suggested it would be inappropriate to set out timelines on what restrictions could be lifted if daily case numbers reached a particular level by a specific date.

“It’s inappropriate almost to lay out timeline or numbers...at 100 cases a day we can do X and at 70 cases a day we can do Y...” he said.

He said Nphet and the Government would have to observe the impact of increased social mixing associated with measures that may be taken to ease restrictions in the context of the B117 variant and to “see where we are at the point and then determine what the next step will be

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/new-covid-19-case-numbers-may-not-fall-below-100-per-day-until-april-prof-philip-nolan-predicts-1.4490890?mode=amp

so is this so called plan they are publishing Tuesday going to be just a list of what opens in what order? With no timeframes or targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Ah come on he predicted 80,000 to 120,000 deaths yet he still gets airtime. I believe at this stage RTE is deliberately trolling the public.

He didn't "predict" that. He gave that as a worst case scenario. His median prediction was 20k deaths, I seem to remember. And all of this was in the context of no restrictions, with the virus doing the rounds of the populations and no vaccine.

At this stage I believe posts like yours are deliberately trolling the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stheno wrote: »
    The government and NPHET have repeatedly said this week that they will not commit to dates for any easing, and that it would be irresponsible to put targets in place

Nolan is the latest

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/new-covid-19-case-numbers-may-not-fall-below-100-per-day-until-april-prof-philip-nolan-predicts-1.4490890?mode=amp

so is this so called plan they are publishing Tuesday going to be just a list of what opens in what order? With no timeframes or targets?

Its behind a paywall for me . But if they can’t predict then they need to stop guessing about the summer too in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Stheno wrote: »

Nolan is the latest

It's been explained several times that putting dates and targets is self defeating. Compliance collapses as dates or targets approach so the targets are ultimately not achieved.

The reality is we are looking at one week horizons for lifting of restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭snotboogie

D9Male wrote: »
    He didn't "predict" that. He gave that as a worst case scenario. His median prediction was 20k deaths, I seem to remember. And all of this was in the context of no restrictions, with the virus doing the rounds of the populations and no vaccine.

True but he did say in July, in the face of serious evidence to the contrary, that vaccines could take another 10 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its behind a paywall for me . But if they can’t predict then they need to stop guessing about the summer too in my opinion

Yep, it's like they are talking out of both sides of their mouths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It's been explained several times that putting dates and targets is self defeating. Compliance collapses as dates or targets approach so the targets are ultimately not achieved.

The reality is we are looking at one week horizons for lifting of restrictions.

Surely not putting dates just an indefinite lockdown would be worse re compliance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

I find it hilarious that they tell us constantly they cant predict what next week will bring and they must wait for numbers and cases etc . But suddenly they can predict what the summer will be like and how we can’t expect hospitality to open
    You sound a hilarious person yourself..any one can predict a few days in advance but no one can predict a few weeks ahead let alone a few months. As what the lie of the land will be like.this virus will be with us for a long time .and it's difficult to say what shape or form it will take in the future..that is why we always have to be very very cautious..so dont be acting like a child and think like a mature adult...its always easy to blame the government..nphet for everything as regards the hit our economy has taken ..but look at how many has died..or suffering from long term covid symptoms..and please don't come back with replies like..oh what about our mental health..yes out mental health is important but opening up places and allowing people to mix or gather in groups may be good for our mental well being but it will also kill people...young and old.....

Surely not putting dates just an indefinite lockdown would be worse re compliance ?

Thats my thinking too, if people don't know proposed dates it gives nothing to aim for

Or something solid tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

McConckey quoted on the radio as saying the Brazilian variant escapes the vaccine

Does he have any evidence of this? This guy should not be allowed on the airwaves, shocking behavior.

He said, and I quote, that Covid was going to be "the Spanish flu, mixed up with the Irish civil war, which was 100 years ago, mixed up with the 1929 stock market crash". He went on to say, and again I quote: "I estimate there could be between 80 and 120,000 deaths.".

In the same interview, he stated: "Our best case scenario we’ve passed. My median scenario is that we’d have a 20 per cent attack rate and 20,000 deaths".

He then went on to say: "Worst case scenario is potentially up to an 80 per cent attack rate — that’s four million and again the two per cent death rate which could even be three or four per cent"

(That's him up to 160,000 deaths now).

Other McConkey predictions include a 10pm curfew (October) under Level Six restrictions of our Five Level system, and then went onto predict Level Ten restrictions.

He is a catastrophist who has completely lost the run of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

McConckey quoted on the radio as saying the Brazilian variant escapes the vaccine

Does he have any evidence of this? This guy should not be allowed on the airwaves, shocking behavior.

Did he actually say that? That's shockingly irresponsible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The Brazilian variabt has the e448k mutation which the South African variant has.

Scientists believe that this mutation is what has caused several vaccine studies to show reduced efficacy for the sa variant.

That said its reduced efficacy not non functioning vaccines.

Obviously we should be doing our utmost to keep this variant out. Nothing controversial in what he was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40081700.html
    I suggest you read the article before you accuse someone of trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Agree, it's soul destroying to be hearing well you might be allowed to meet up out doors in August, we'll see if everyone behaves. It makes people just want to give two fingers to the whole thing.

They need to remember that taking peoples freedoms by cooperation is very different to trying to enforce restrictions against general consent of the population.

Even the language they use, cannot, not allowed, not permitted, restrictions, strict lockdown. We're not being asked for our cooperation any more, we are being scolded, and they would be sensible to realise that they need people to support the restrictions.

There has definitely been a shift in attitudes the past week and I suspect the lockdown will be finished shortly regardless of what government say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Locotastic wrote: »
    Agree, it's soul destroying to be hearing well you might be allowed to meet up out doors in August, we'll see if everyone behaves. It makes people just want to give two fingers to the whole thing.

They need to remember that taking peoples freedoms by cooperation is very different to trying to enforce restrictions against general consent of the population.

Even the language they use, cannot, not allowed, not permitted, restrictions, strict lockdown. We're not being asked for our cooperation any more, we are being scolded, and they would be sensible to realise that they need people to support the restrictions.

There has definitely been a shift in attitudes the past week and I suspect the lockdown will be finished shortly regardless of what government say.

They have gambled and lost the people . People are now out meeting in gardens and outside for a chat . People know now what they need to do to look after theur mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The Brazilian variabt has the e448k mutation which the South African variant has.

Scientists believe that this mutation is what has caused several vaccine studies to show reduced efficacy for the sa variant.

That said its reduced efficacy not non functioning vaccines.

Obviously we should be doing our utmost to keep this variant out. Nothing controversial in what he was saying.

I would say it’s controversial to be honest, all these lads keep sticking their neck out to get air time as they know they’ll become irrelevant as soon as we fully open up. A poster mentioned earlier it’s strange to see that all of these experts have PHDs and so on but actually don’t look at the science in front of them, they just stick to their own narrative and don’t want to recognise progress and facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The very vague Mid-April/May and "not set in stone" are more likely to make people give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Theirs evidence in this article.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fight-against-covid-19-variants-south-africa-lesson-world-n1258319

Important read and I can understand why we are being cautions. Lessons need to be learned from South Africa. Its frustrating but we are still in a precarious position with this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

He'd be wrong saying it escapes vaccine

https://twitter.com/thisweekrte/status/1363479676518363142?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

is_that_so wrote: »
    The very vague Mid-April/May and "not set in stone" are more likely to make people give up.

Precisely. Why would anyone continue on with this nonsense with no set target in sight? No dates or no case number target to give us something to work towards. Just more of the same for an infinite amount of weeks. Could be May could be June could be July. Who knows. Sure we’ll tell ye around then. Why the hell would anyone agree to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Plenty of people out meeting each other from what I saw. Bit annoying really as they're taking up footpaths around the park which is bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

titan18 wrote: »
    Plenty of people out meeting each other from what I saw. Bit annoying really as they're taking up footpaths around the park which is bloody annoying.
    Well, they know that Gardai are patrolling the parks!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, they know that Gardai are patrolling the parks!

I saw a gardai car drive past and nothing happened so if they are they're not doing a good job. People out drinking on the green area and bench in groups of 10+.

I don't particularly care, just wish they stayed off the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I saw a gardai car drive past and nothing happened so if they are they're not doing a good job. People out drinking on the green area and bench in groups of 10+.

Person in crowd gives out about others in crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Gardai can't patrol everyone and everything, and they'll have a lot more to deal with soon when a more and more people start 'breaching restrictions' aka living normal lives again.

Lockdown by name only, unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It seems that the strategy to avoid a 4th lock down is to stay indefinitely in the 3rd lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Locotastic wrote: »
    Gardai can't patrol everyone and everything, and they'll have a lot more to deal with soon when a lot more people start 'breaching restrictions' aka living normal lives again.

Lockdown by name only, unenforceable.

Was in St Anne's Park in Raheny today. Lovely sunny day and busy with people out and about.

Garda car drove in and left after a short while.

What exactly are they looking for? What exactly are they looking to do?

They'd need more than the two of them in car to clear the park... :confused:

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Person in crowd gives out about others in crowd

I was out walking by myself, so not in a crowd. Am I not allowed walk in the park closest to my house now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement