Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Faugheen wrote: »
    Most people trying to talk about mental health are the most disingenuous bunch around.

Today on Twitter I saw someone using the suicide of a young girl to link to the pandemic and the lockdowns. So many people saying this is causing x, y, and z of a mental health pandemic and none of them gave a flying f*ck about the mental health issues we had before.

I'm not trying to suggest that people aren't struggling with this. I absolutely believe they are, but the ones who are doing most of the shouting are just bored of looking at the same four walls all the time.

It actually sickens me that people shout 'mental health!' when it's extremely complex and trying to shout that reopening the country will be better for people's mental health is just going to solve everything. Someone needs to tell these people that they haven't the clue about what going through depression and anxiety is actually like.

It's being used as a political tool and it quite frankly sickens me.

However, what the government are doing in that they're drip-feeding information and kite-flying suggestions out there while going days between sub-committee, and cabinet meetings is causing genuine and legitimate anger out there. THAT is something that causing people to lose their minds, and that needs to stop as well.

Call a cabinet meeting, get the NPHET advice, address the nation, spell it out. This pussy-footing around has to stop.

I don't think that's fair. Not saying some are not using mental health as an excuse but it is an important issue.

People can get lonely and not everyone has people nearby. I know people in my family that I would have concerns about, live alone, not many friends. Has a tendency to be very introverted and may not be too quick to admit they are suffering.

Also people's living conditions can get amplified in these situations. Living in small apartments on top or each other. Domestic violence increasing as well.

I'm not saying that mental health is the only concern but it is a concern for many.

Ficheall wrote: »
    You have a real chip on your shoulder about NPHET.

Lockdown has worked and is working. I can understand some people taking issue about whether it is worth the other costs, but trying to claim it hasn't reduced cases is ridiculous.

It has reduced cases; but permanent lockdown is not a viable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

If this is Britains roadmap out of lockdown then it will put some pressure on MM and co

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1363551368842207240?s=19

Ah Jesus I thought that was us at first.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If this is Britains roadmap out of lockdown then it will put some pressure on MM and co

I’m so envious of that :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1363570463423815683?s=19

20% of worldwide deaths with only 5% of the world population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We're about 6 weeks behind the UK in vaccinations, no reason why this can't be us in time.

There's no pressure on anyone, the supply of vaccines will determine when we can open.

That's with construction not closing at all and all other outdoor workers continuing to work. If their case and hospital numbers remain stable it will definitely put the pressure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

hmmm wrote: »
    There's very little evidence of outdoor spread, even with studies which have looked at large-scale events such as political protests. You're only complaining because you can see them, and that leads to a waste of resources such as Garda cars driving around parks.

Meanwhile the real risk is happening inside in places you can't see. Every minute the Guards spend driving around a park to look as if they are doing something is one less minute they could be spending trying to reduce the actual risk.

The prevalence of curtain twitching and spying on your neighbour is likely to be counter productive too.
    Last summer all our lot and most people that i know had lots of back garden meetups, bbqs and drinks etc.

With the atmosphere of twitching endemic, people may take these meet ups indoors to avoid the prying gazes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

That's with construction not closing at all and all other outdoor workers continuing to work. If their case and hospital numbers remain stable it will definitely put the pressure on.

Just wait until the UK gets hit with the big scary UK variant!

Stheno wrote: »

Worth putting these figures in context.

If Ireland were the size of the United States, we would currently have 270,000 deaths.

Therefore if Ireland had just double current deaths (8,000 or 0.16% of the population), we would have 540,000 deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thank you so much Sir Philip Nolan for giving us permission to breathe air outside this summer

A lot of people out and about today. I think people have already decided that the outdoors is safe and the government can feck off.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Ah Jesus I thought that was us at first.....
    You're not the only one, got excited for a second:(

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭rodders999

Leitrim and Roscommon have achieved zero covid!:D Sligo very nearly there too. Maybe they can carve out their own New Zealand of the NorthWest...

I still wouldn’t go!

(I jest, I jest).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A lot of people out and about today. I think people have already decided that the outdoors is safe and the government can feck off.

all well in good but its the government who are the decision makers in turn places won't be open til they get approval

No way in hell businesses will go rogue and open up, far too risky

I just want things open and get on with our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

If Ireland were the size of the United States, we would currently have 270,000 deaths.

Therefore if Ireland had just double current deaths (8,000 or 0.16% of the population), we would have 540,000 deaths.

If my aunt had balls she'd currently be my uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

hmmm wrote: »
    We're about 6 weeks behind the UK in vaccinations, no reason why this can't be us in time.

There's no pressure on anyone, the supply of vaccines will determine when we can open.

This is pretty much it. We can use Israel and UK to see what works and what didn't. Personally, I think the UK are moving a little too fast unless their vaccination schedule has some hidden boost powerup in the coming weeks.

(Assuming the leaked plan is the actual plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The reason the spike existed is because Ireland has almost uniquely avoided any form of herd immunity spread.

It has become obsessed with limiting all viral transmission.

That's why the spike was as big as it was. A spike itself was inevitable; the extreme policies implemented by Chairman Holohan etc. only amplified the spike when it did occur.

Nonsense. Portugal had a significantly larger christmas spike and it wasn't their first rodeo.

Interestingly enough, Portugal are now in arguably better shape than us because of the harshness of their recent lockdown.
    They have a fantastic looking trajectory, and will possibly drive their case numbers into the ground with a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Stheno wrote: »

There obesity levels wouldnt of helped there cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It really wasn't worth doing that

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't think that's fair. Not saying some are not using mental health as an excuse but it is an important issue.

People can get lonely and not everyone has people nearby. I know people in my family that I would have concerns about, live alone, not many friends. Has a tendency to be very introverted and may not be too quick to admit they are suffering.

Also people's living conditions can get amplified in these situations. Living in small apartments on top or each other. Domestic violence increasing as well.

I'm not saying that mental health is the only concern but it is a concern for many.

I haven’t disputed any of what you have said.

My point is that most of those who shout ‘mental health’ don’t actually give a sh*te and they are bored of looking at the same four walls.

You see loads of people giving out about the mental health pandemic but not one of them claims to be suffering themselves. They use it as a political tool because they want to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I haven’t disputed any of what you have said.

My point is that most of those who shout ‘mental health’ don’t actually give a sh*te and they are bored of looking at the same four walls.

You see loads of people giving out about the mental health pandemic but not one of them claims to be suffering themselves. They use it as a political tool because they want to reopen.

Yep.

And for some, covid itself is causing neurological issues such as brain-fog, dementia, anxiety and depression.

They won't even acknowledge these people.

Very well said - people anchor themselves to campaigns to further their own agendas, rather than caring about the cause they bring up.

It reminds me of the people who stand up for LGBT rights when they oppose all-things Islam ("look at how the Muslim world treats The Gays").

Once Islam is out of the way or not in the question, they go back to their homophobic tendencies - however light.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

On the news just now, the reporter said “NPHET said some outdoor mixing of households will also be looked at down the line, possibly by early summer as an incentive to keep people motivated under level 5”

Are we supposed to be thankful for this? Wow NPHET, we are not worthy.

Jesus fcuking wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

On the news just now, the reporter said “NPHET said some outdoor mixing of households will also be looked at down the line, possibly by early summer as an incentive to keep people motivated under level 5”

Are we supposed to be thankful for this? Wow NPHET, we are not worthy.

Jesus fcuking wept.

Are they in touch with reality at all? That's already happening.

Alcohol sales were banned for most of their lockdown.
    They're kicking the **** out of a variant we really need to see dead. They don't have the money that Western nations do to make lockdowns more comfortable.

Fair play to South Africa. We owe them a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭brickster69

Just as they gave 1 million vaccines away to Kenya.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement