Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Mimon wrote: »
    It's NPHETs job to look after public health and yes they do IMHO spin it too negatively for effect.

No, NPHET are only concerned with Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I know people saying disband NPHET is deemed reactionary or without thought but genuinely, why do we still need them?

Sure the government know enough by now to work off case numbers, deaths, hospitalizations and R Numbers. Surely they understand them by now.

If new variants are found, they can go to individual virologists. They don't need the whole band together for that.

How will things get worse if government disband them? I can't think of anything

How will things get better? They won't have these cowboys running to the media telling them what to do, leaking things to media and generally trying to be Billy Big Bollox.

If the government had actually listened to NPHET who were calling for enforced mandatory quarantine restrictions since may 2020, maybe we wouldn’t be in the current “Kent” variant **** show we are currently in.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    all well in good but its the government who are the decision makers in turn places won't be open til they get approval

No way in hell businesses will go rogue and open up, far too risky

I just want things open and get on with our lives

Plenty are already, you just have to be in the loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Stheno wrote: »
    Reasoned and calm

Fair play to them

Except they have fallen for the fallacy that the big problem is travel and that is going to go badly longer term. Jack Lambert has it right. It is not the small number of travel cases which are the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sure the government know enough by now to work off case numbers, deaths, hospitalizations and R Numbers. Surely they understand them by now.

There's no way that the government could understand this stuff by now. They should have a much improved understanding of the various concepts than they did in January 2020. Competence or mastery of the subject matter? Unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

I was there for a while earlier. From what I seen, there was a few people about but definitely wasn't jammers.

Definitely jammers. Was there about 3. Went down to chappo, watched the queue of traffic coming through the village around 5. Granted people were generally keeping a distance, plenty of room to do it there in fairness, but there was huge crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

tom1ie wrote: »
    If the government had actually listened to NPHET who were calling for enforced mandatory quarantine restrictions since may 2020, maybe we wouldn’t be in the current “Kent” variant **** show we are currently in.

Realistically if NPHET had its way there would neither be travel in, out or around Ireland and the whole country would be under level 5 since last August.

While I agree with mandatory quarantine for incoming travellers in theory, I know it won’t make any difference to the recommendations of NPHET to implement stay at home orders so I’d rather not implement mandatory measures that might never be relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Coybig_ wrote: »
    If it is NPHET's job to look after Public Health (which shockingly enough, involves far more than just COVID-19) then they are catastrophically failing and should be immediately relieved from their duties.

They should have been listened to before Christmas. They were proven to be 100% right. Is the governments fault for not following them then.

People still could have had a good Christmas in their own homes and allowing only people living on their own to go to another household.

People like the bellyachers on here would have revolted so MM and LV **** the load when they should have held firm. It's basically the bellyachers fault that we are still in lockdown. Look at yourself dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Travellers should be prioritized for covid-19 vaccination"

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/travellers-should-be-prioritised-for-covid-19-vaccination-1.4489764?mode=amp

What a load of bs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

emo72 wrote: »
    The Phoenix Park was jammers today. People are losing hope.

All hope is lost....lets go to the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Stheno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1363570463423815683?s=19

20% of worldwide deaths with only 5% of the world population

Is that largely demographics though? I mean its maybe a nasty-ish thing to say but aren't they the biggest, oldest, unhealthiest population on the planet too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/travellers-should-be-prioritised-for-covid-19-vaccination-1.4489764?mode=amp

“This small but distinct group of people in our society are more susceptible to the virus”

They should try wearing the masks so

Is that largely demographics though? I mean its maybe a nasty-ish thing to say but aren't they the biggest, oldest, unhealthiest population on the planet too?

Doesn't help for sure, also having an anti science bleach gargling numbskull at the helm for this and a huge amount of Covid deniers was a bit of a drawback.

Rewarding bad behaviour, feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

MarkY91 wrote: »

It’s gone. What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Rewarding bad behaviour, feck that.

Rewarding us by vaccinating them, you mean? Jesus, people are ****ing dumb. This group are what they are and are going to keep doing what they're doing, so vaccinating them as soon as possible benefits us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

h2005 wrote: »
    It’s gone. What was it?

Big organized rave/party.

Available to see in the link below. The usual Brazilian crowds not giving a **** about the citizens of the country they're a guest in. I've seen seeing these types of posts during the entire pandemic from the same groups of people.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLkRrgVB2xF/?igshid=2nsi5y13zn76

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Alcohol sales were banned for most of their lockdown.
    They're kicking the **** out of a variant we really need to see dead. They don't have the money that Western nations do to make lockdowns more comfortable.

Fair play to South Africa. We owe them a drink.
    There would be a revolution if they banned alcohol over here :pac:

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Rewarding us by vaccinating them, you mean? Jesus, people are ****ing dumb. This group are what they are and are going to keep doing what they're doing, so vaccinating them as soon as possible benefits us all.

No sends out the wrong message totally. Not a well thought through post.

They are a tiny percentage of the population who stick to themselves so little risk to the general population.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Coybig_ wrote: »
    This is the one of the more egregious pieces of trash I have read in this thread. A load of presumptious, accusatory nonsense.

You are in absolutely no position to say what state anybodies mental health is in. Is somebody only allowed to be concerned about mental health if they, themselves suffer from poor mental health? Does every comment about mental health need to be prefaced with a disclaimer that they are suffering from poor mental health?

Thankfully enough the almost fanatical worship of these lockdowns by a certain cohort of posters is becoming an outlier on these forums.

And it's ok for people to tweet about a young woman who died by suicide (including how they died) and then to immediately link it to the pandemic, when suicide situations are completely complex and that person has no idea what led to that horrific situation?

That's perfectly ok for someone to do, is it? Use that awful situation and make an assumption that it was linked to the pandemic?

How about engaging with me about what I mean instead of making assumptions yourself? There are a lot of people out there who simply do not give a damn about the mental health of others in this pandemic, but they absolutely use it to further their own agenda.

And I already said there are a lot of people suffering, and suffering badly, but a large cohort of the mouthpieces aren't and they spend more time talking about the things that should be open than about the mental health of others in this country. It's sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

They are a tiny percentage of the population who stick to themselves so little risk to the general population.

Didn't a priest end up in hospital after a funeral?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

That is absolute ****e talk, they're not hobbits. They mix with their families, some settled and some not, with many of them living in large towns. Being from a town with a large traveller population, I can tell you that they mingle locally, shop locally and their sons/daughters have friends among many other families. Your idea of travellers is way off and getting their population vaccinated early is a good thing for all of us.

That article is an abomination. Prioritise those who have been openly disregarding guidelines, righto. Take your place at the back of the queue.

That article is an abomination. Prioritise those who have been flagrantly disregarding guidelines, righto. Back of the queue.

They may already be in a priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

There's a remarkable overlap with people who don't understand the need for restrictions and people who hate travellers.

There's a remarkable overlap with people who don't understand the need for restrictions and people who hate travellers.

There is also a remarkable overlap with “zero-Coviders” and racists.

Personally have no problem with anyone who lives in crowded accommodation settings or workplaces being prioritised as is already planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

There is also a remarkable overlap with “zero-Coviders” and racists.

This sounds juicy. Please, continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Everyone should read this thread! I actually can’t believe what I read! These zero covid loons are delusional! Higgins gave up answering back to whoever was in charge of the page at that time (Ryan I reckon)

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363565216106225671?s=21

GooglePlus wrote: »
    That is absolute ****e talk, they're not hobbits. They mix with their families, some settled and some not, with many of them living in large towns. Being from a town with a large traveller population, I can tell you that they mingle locally, shop locally and their sons/daughters have friends among many other families. Your idea of travellers is way off and getting their population vaccinated early is a good thing for all of us.

Calm down. Your posting style is way too aggressive. Will ignore your posts after this.

Just because you live in some hole surrounded by people not giving a **** doesn't make it a nationwide problem requiring special treatment.

They are 0.7 percent of the population. I have plenty of experience of travelers, lots good but lots bad also so don't make presumptions about what I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Polar101

emo72 wrote: »
    The Phoenix Park was jammers today. People are losing hope.

It's not easy to see the correlation between going to the park when the weather is nice, and losing hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement