Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

Mimon wrote: »
    Rewarding bad behaviour, feck that.

Safer for society if they are vaccinated first. The majority of that group will not abide by any rules or public health advice.

Vaccinate the riskiest first is a proper approach.

I know people saying disband NPHET is deemed reactionary or without thought but genuinely, why do we still need them?

The risk for the Government is if they disband NPHET, they have them outside the tent pissing in.

You would then have Holohan, with his season ticket to the Late Late Show, denouncing Government policy, in public, weekly, continuing his terror campaign against the Irish people, and opinion pieces in all the papers campaigning against the Government.

I happen to agree with you that NPHET should have been disbanded after Holohan's behaviour in October and replaced by a National Covid Management Team, but there's no way the Government is going to have these guys forming what would effectively be the Opposition.
    Is that largely demographics though? I mean its maybe a nasty-ish thing to say but aren't they the biggest, oldest, unhealthiest population on the planet too?

It was a perfect storm for the USA. They have huge health inequalities, and a health system which - by design - allows chronic conditions to go untreated and unameliorated. They have systemic poverty on a scale unimaginable in Europe, massive racial health and educational inequalities, and until last month had a president who viewed science much in the same way as he viewed witchcraft.

The United States were a sitting duck for a pandemic, and their entire pandemic policy was "shucks, let's hope we don't get one".
    Labaik wrote: »
    There would be a revolution if they banned alcohol over here :pac:

There wasn't a revolution when they banned people from visiting their mam.

We don't do protests or revolution.

The country would be much better governed if we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Everyone should read this thread! I actually can’t believe what I read! These zero covid loons are delusional! Higgins gave up answering back to whoever was in charge of the page at that time (Ryan I reckon)

It's not really that mad. Put it this way - what would you do if you had a fully vaccinated population, but the threat of an imported variant undoing everything exists?

That's the reality we're headed for. What are we going to do? Either we, the public, take precautionary measures until the threat subsides or we do something about our borders.

What do you think will happen if there's an outbreak of some variant amongst a vaccinated population?
    Even if it's mild, we'll lock the **** down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

b0nk1e wrote: »
    The risk for the Government is if they disband NPHET, they have them outside the tent pissing in.

You would then have Holohan, with his season ticket to the Late Late Show, denouncing Government policy, in public, weekly, continuing his terror campaign against the Irish people, and opinion pieces in all the papers campaigning against the Government.

I happen to agree with you that NPHET should have been disbanded after Holohan's behaviour in October and replaced by a National Covid Management Team, but there's no way the Government is going to have these guys forming what would effectively be the Opposition.

It was a perfect storm for the USA. They have huge health inequalities, and a health system which - by design - allows chronic conditions to go untreated and unameliorated. They have systemic poverty on a scale unimaginable in Europe, massive racial health and educational inequalities, and until last month had a president who viewed science much in the same way as he viewed witchcraft.

The United States were a sitting duck for a pandemic, and their entire pandemic policy was "shucks, let's hope we don't get one".

There wasn't a revolution when they banned people from visiting their mam.

We don't do protests or revolution.

The country would be much better governed if we did.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Everyone should read this thread! I actually can’t believe what I read! These zero covid loons are delusional! Higgins gave up answering back to whoever was in charge of the page at that time (Ryan I reckon)

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363565216106225671?s=21

Thanks.

This reply is bang on.

https://twitter.com/lizaobb/status/1363469432903905281?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Polar101 wrote: »
    It's not easy to see the correlation between going to the park when the weather is nice, and losing hope.
    True, if anything it's great to be able to get out in the good weather today. Could feel the mood lifting a bit.

I don't get the obsession with complaining about people in parks. Particularly in Dublin the 5km rule means people who are abiding by the rules are obviously going to go to the few amenity spots. There's little evidence of any significant transmission of the virus outdoors, it seems to be a plainly good thing for physical and mental health if people are getting out and about (while remaining careful to keep a bit of distance).

This sounds juicy. Please, continue...

Person who makes a generalised statement with little evidence challenging a person who makes a generalised statement with little evidence.... the only thing is that there is a anti-traveller mindset with many and there is an anti-foreigner mindset with many (both of which have come to the surface over the last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Britain pushing ahead with reopening by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Thread banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It's not really that mad. Put it this way - what would you do if you had a fully vaccinated population, but the threat of an imported variant undoing everything exists?

That's the reality we're headed for. What are we going to do? Either we, the public, take precautionary measures until the threat subsides or we do something about our borders.

What do you think will happen if there's an outbreak of some variant amongst a vaccinated population?
    Even if it's mild, we'll lock the **** down.

It’s delusional that we’ll go through all this again!
    Variants can’t always be the stick! We need to move on!
    One comment made by the group about herd immunity that it’s only theoretically possible was another stupid comment on their part! Come April May we’ll have a totally different picture, obviously unless we end up with an Outer Mongolia variant that is 2% more transmissible and vaccines only 87.8% effective against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How will things get better? They won't have these cowboys running to the media telling them what to do, leaking things to media and generally trying to be Billy Big Bollox.
    Is this a reference to you wagering your left testicle on your incorrect prediction for 24 hours later a couple of weeks ago? Who needs experts, indeed...

Person who makes a generalised statement with little evidence challenging a person who makes a generalised statement with little evidence.... the only thing is that there is a anti-traveller mindset with many and there is an anti-foreigner mindset with many (both of which have come to the surface over the last year).

I've no earthly idea what you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I happen to agree with you that NPHET should have been disbanded after Holohan's behaviour in October and replaced by a National Covid Management Team
    ...and you would for some reason not then whinge about the National Covid Management Team of Judea?

One comment made by the group about herd immunity that it’s only theoretically possible was another stupid comment on their part! Come April May we’ll have a totally different picture, obviously unless we end up with an Outer Mongolia variant that is 2% more transmissible and vaccines only 87.8% effective against it

If we have an outbreak of a variant here when the population has already been vaccinated, then not only will there be a lockdown, but most of the planet would shut their borders to us.

There seems to be a real failure of imagination afoot. Not just here, but even in government.
    "We need to move on!" - fine, what's your plan for the above scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

893bet wrote: »
    They should all get two shots.

Both ****ing barrels.

Enjoy your ban :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I went for a run in the Phoenix Park today, so covered most of the park and it was very busy. Cars thrown everywhere and paths packed with people.

As far as I’m concerned it was great to see everyone out and about in the fresh air getting their exercise in and enjoying themselves after the last few months of a sh!it show.

I for one am much happier seeing people outside meeting up then stuffed in their houses with no ventilation and then familiarity kicks in and behind closed doors nobody is watching.

Also, can folks please ignore the rubbish coming from government it is only to keep us down beaten and under their thumb. Vaccines are here, will work and we will open up. The negativity is not necessary, we are not children. You can do this, only if you’re a good boy, and only maybe and oh wait only in a few weeks. Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I think most people have it backwards regarding the 5km rule. Other countries have managed to open up successfully, while keeping people within their local district.

That makes more sense to me, then if there's any cases within the area testing and other measures can take place.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Enjoy your ban :eek:

I will anyway

I'd much rather live in a country of travellers than with people like him

I've no earthly idea what you're talking about

You said this:

“There's a remarkable overlap with people who don't understand the need for restrictions and people who hate travellers.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Know theres better investment in public services in Denmark but wonder even still will we really be months behind them? Thats 2nd dose by end of June. Here Im not even sure if aim is for all adults to have 1st dose or 2nd dose by September.

Just wonder at this stage are government being over cautious on estimating how long we will need restrictions for and overestimating how long vaccines will take in a under promise and over deliver strategy? Or is that just wishful thinking?!

https://www.thelocal.dk/20210215/denmark-adjusts-expected-date-for-completion-of-covid-19-vaccination-programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

If we have an outbreak of a variant here when the population has already been vaccinated, then not only will there be a lockdown, but most of the planet would shut their borders to us.

There seems to be a real failure of imagination afoot. Not just here, but even in government.
    "We need to move on!" - fine, what's your plan for the above scenario?

I’m going to bed after this! Vaccine vaccine vaccine!! We have a flu vaccine every year, it changes to go with the possible strains that could be around! Covid will become endemic, hopefully we don’t need boosters but the MRNA vaccines are easily changeable according to their scientists so, in conclusion I don’t see us ever having to lockdown again! Goodnight!

You said this:

“There's a remarkable overlap with people who don't understand the need for restrictions and people who hate travellers.”

Yeah, I know.

It's your words I'm having trouble deciphering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQnR_JHjUU

NPHETs heads would explode watching this.

I’m going to bed after this! Vaccine vaccine vaccine!! We have a flu vaccine every year, it changes to go with the possible strains that could be around! Covid will become endemic, hopefully we don’t need boosters but the MRNA vaccines are easily changeable according to their scientists so, in conclusion I don’t see us ever having to lockdown again! Goodnight!

night night

you're not seeing things through the eyes of a public health team. you're not even trying. don't though. not tonight, you won't sleep a wink

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

South Africa gave away their Astra Zeneca vaccines because they were found to be only 22 percent better than a placebo.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fight-against-covid-19-variants-south-africa-lesson-world-n1258319

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-where-is-the-south-africa-variant-is-it-more-deadly-and-do-vaccines-work-12205723

So what is the point of us going to the trouble of vaccinating millions of people with the Astra Zeneca vaccine if the SA variant arrives here? We could easily end up back in lockdown... if there's one thing you should have realised by now its that their are no guarantees when it comes to this pandemic. During December no one foresaw us spending the first 6-7 months of 2021 in level 5 lockdown, but here we are now.

So any talk of how everything will be fine once we're vaccinated and that worrying about variants is unnecessary is misguided..we are in currently locked down due to a variant, that accounts for 90% of cases, that didn't exist in this country in December.

We are currently dealing with the negative effects of one variant which has resulted in nphet locking us down for 7 months. If the SA variant arrives here and takes off going by past form I don't think its a stretch to imagine nphet calling for more lockdowns due to the ineffectiveness of the Astra Zeneca vaccine.

So it seems like common sense to take precautionary measures to avoid letting the SA/Brazil/future variants take hold.

TheDoctor wrote: »

Sweden's cases are rising rapidly. They're in big trouble again.
    This video simply highlights non-compliance which is going to lead to loads more ****ing deaths.

You need to start watching better material. That is complete bollocks.

httpete wrote: »
    So what is the point of us going to the trouble of vaccinating millions of people with the Astra Zeneca vaccine if the SA variant arrives here?
    We're told that the vaccines are still expected to protect against severe disease which will cause hospitalisation and deaths in every variant so far tested. If you have to spend a day in bed with the sniffles it's not the end of the world.
    During December no one foresaw us spending the first 6-7 months of 2021 in level 5 lockdown, but here we are now.
    Some us did and said so on here. It's obvious what happened in hindsight.

Sweden's cases are rising rapidly. They're in big trouble again.
    I can't believe people are still going on about Sweden. On every reasonable metric you can think of they have completely misjudged this pandemic, and their vulnerable populations have paid the price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

893bet wrote: »
    They should all get two shots.

Both ****ing barrels.

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

TheDoctor wrote: »

Why would NPHET give a toss about Stockholm?

People seem to think Sweden have handled things really well...even though the majority of indicators...especially when compared to their neighbours are they really haven't...but hey...keep posting that pointless video in multiple threads if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement