Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

gmisk wrote: »
    Why would NPHET give a toss about Stockholm?

People seem to think Sweden have handled things really well...even though the majority of indicators...especially when compared to their neighbours are they really haven't...but hey...keep posting that pointless video in multiple threads if you like.

Someone seems to be rattled watching people been able to live normal lives during a "pandemic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

How dare you go to the park!
    The number of people gathered in public amenities during the weekend is very likely to see Garda personnel redeployed to popular locations to discourage crowds forming, according to Garda sources in Dublin.

Imagine thinking that this reprehensible nonsense is an adequate response to what is happening right now. Pure and utter delusion.

They weren't seen anywhere at the Muslim gathering the other day though - it's just the Irish idiots that have to put up with this heavy handed crap.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda%C3%AD-may-be-redeployed-to-beauty-spots-as-crowds-flock-to-parks-and-beaches-1.4491239?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

hmmm wrote: »
    There's very little evidence of outdoor spread, even with studies which have looked at large-scale events such as political protests. You're only complaining because you can see them, and that leads to a waste of resources such as Garda cars driving around parks.

Meanwhile the real risk is happening inside in places you can't see. Every minute the Guards spend driving around a park to look as if they are doing something is one less minute they could be spending trying to reduce the actual risk.

Or you know, you could read the post and see I wasnt complaining about them gathering and breaking covid restrictions, I was saying it was annoying they were blocking footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Someone seems to be rattled watching people been able to live normal lives during a "pandemic"
    Been able?
    I couldn't really care less.My point is Sweden isn't some textbook example of how best to deal with things imo, but you enjoy your little video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Apparently all schools in England are to open on the 8th.

This is pretty cold, but it gives us the opportunity to sit back and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This is pretty cold, but it gives us the opportunity to sit back and see what happens.

But sure we are opening schools on the 1st,well nearly half of them are going back

What exactly is "cold" about prioritising the essential education of youth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We are due to deliver 100k vaccination shots next week, and up until now we have delivered 330kish. Seems the production ramp-up is on the way, it's a huge increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But sure we are opening schools on the 1st,well nearly half of them are going back

Where are you getting the nearly half?

Infants and LC age, no?

I might be missing something, but that's hardly half of all students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Infants and LC age, no?

I might be missing something, but that's hardly half of all students?

Up to second class I thought,and are 5th year going back as well as LC

What exactly is "cold" about prioritising the essential education of youth?

I'm saying my statement is pretty cold.

I'm saying we can learn from how the variant gets on with British kids as they'll reopen earlier. Stop making me repeat it.

httpete wrote: »
    South Africa gave away their Astra Zeneca vaccines because they were found to be only 22 percent better than a placebo.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fight-against-covid-19-variants-south-africa-lesson-world-n1258319

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-where-is-the-south-africa-variant-is-it-more-deadly-and-do-vaccines-work-12205723

So what is the point of us going to the trouble of vaccinating millions of people with the Astra Zeneca vaccine if the SA variant arrives here? We could easily end up back in lockdown... if there's one thing you should have realised by now its that their are no guarantees when it comes to this pandemic. During December no one foresaw us spending the first 6-7 months of 2021 in level 5 lockdown, but here we are now.

So any talk of how everything will be fine once we're vaccinated and that worrying about variants is unnecessary is misguided..we are in currently locked down due to a variant, that accounts for 90% of cases, that didn't exist in this country in December.

We are currently dealing with the negative effects of one variant which has resulted in nphet locking us down for 7 months. If the SA variant arrives here and takes off going by past form I don't think its a stretch to imagine nphet calling for more lockdowns due to the ineffectiveness of the Astra Zeneca vaccine.

So it seems like common sense to take precautionary measures to avoid letting the SA/Brazil/future variants take hold.

This was discussed in depth on the vaccine thread. South Africa based their decision on what was quite frankly a shoddy and poor quality study.

An actual vaccine expert talks about it here.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1358755516835647488?s=19

She talks about a much better study with better results here.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1362530246155763715?s=19

gmisk wrote: »
    Been able?
    I couldn't really care less.My point is Sweden isn't some textbook example of how best to deal with things imo, but you enjoy your little video.

Enjoy? I’m jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Enjoy? I’m jealous

Jealous of a 3 week old video which its self was referencing data from early January, Sweden's gamble has failed spectacularly. Even the Swedes are admitting it.

We are due to deliver 100k vaccination shots next week, and up until now we have delivered 330kish. Seems the production ramp-up is on the way, it's a huge increase.

To contextualise how incompetent our Government has been - the first-ever meeting of the vaccine team taking place in November - Scotland, with an almost identical population to us has been vaccinating 50,000 people a day since the start of February.

I know we in Ireland prefer to be submissive to some higher authority or be a massive nanny state but I’d rather be allowed live a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

b0nk1e wrote: »
    To contextualise how incompetent our Government has been - the first-ever meeting of the vaccine team taking place in November - Scotland, with an almost identical population to us has been vaccinating 50,000 people a day since the start of February.

So if the vaccine taskforce met earlier.... what would happen, they would magically make vaccines appear out of thin air?

Scotland vaccinated I think over 50k 8 days of this month. You make it sound like it was starting at 50k 1st feb and increasing day on day.

You're comparing us to Scotland who are further along their vaccine road map than we are. And Scotland's vaccinations have been reducing day on day for the past week as they are now facing a shortfall in deliveries.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

b0nk1e wrote: »

All you are contextualising is how far detached from reality you are. The HSE are managing the vaccine program and they are putting out the shots as fast as they are arriving.

You've done nothing but bitch and moan, change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Everyone should read this thread! I actually can’t believe what I read! These zero covid loons are delusional! Higgins gave up answering back to whoever was in charge of the page at that time (Ryan I reckon)

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363565216106225671?s=21

That annoying attention seeker Tomás Ryan has his finger prints all over those tweets alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.ft.com/content/44a1f03f-5a2e-4dcc-9e94-fcf5e49be2e2

Deaths in Mexico City are almost 100% above normal in 2020. Close to 1% of the population died in excess since March. President has been deeply criticised for the 'light touch approach' to restrictions..makes you thankful for how many deaths were avoided here. You'd wonder how high the death rate of this virus then, if it could get as high as that in Mexico which has a pretty young population.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That article is an abomination. Prioritise those who have been openly disregarding guidelines, righto. Take your place at the back of the queue.

Totally agree.
    I'll say this tho. This reporter, this Harry McGee, Is either a totally shrewd creating an article that will annoy people and share it (hey I did on here) or he is living in his own bubble and needs to seriously re-evaluate his intelligence.

It ain't the former tho. Let's be honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

If you thought the Irish government wasn't great..

In Tanzania, the health minister says a vegetable smoothie (with ginger, onions, lemon and pepper) will ward off coronavirus. They've also stated no vaccines will be needed by the country.

From the Financial Times. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/tanzania-looks-to-divine-providence-as-government-shuns-covid-vaccines-1.4490995

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Hardyn wrote: »
    This was discussed in depth on the vaccine thread. South Africa based their decision on what was quite frankly a shoddy and poor quality study.

An actual vaccine expert talks about it here.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1358755516835647488?s=19

She talks about a much better study with better results here.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1362530246155763715?s=19

This is important. That South African “study” has led to a degree of panic, negativity and draconian policies. It has allowed so called experts to challenge the vaccines and likely to have prolonged restrictions.

I guess this more comprehensive story will not get the same profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Polar101 wrote: »
    If you thought the Irish government wasn't great..

In Tanzania, the health minister says a vegetable smoothie (with ginger, onions, lemon and pepper) will ward off coronavirus. They've also stated no vaccines will be needed by the country.

From the Financial Times. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/tanzania-looks-to-divine-providence-as-government-shuns-covid-vaccines-1.4490995

Didn't they embezzle funds that were meant for Covid testing etc. Pretty sure the IMF and perhaps WHO have serious funding to them that just vanished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Whatever your opinion of David McWilliiams or Denmark, it's a good question.

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1363762977426575361?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

D9Male wrote: »
    He didn't "predict" that. He gave that as a worst case scenario. His median prediction was 20k deaths, I seem to remember. And all of this was in the context of no restrictions, with the virus doing the rounds of the populations and no vaccine.

At this stage I believe posts like yours are deliberately trolling the forum.

McConkey is the David Icke of Covid19.

Whatever your opinion of David McWilliiams or Denmark, it's a good question.

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1363762977426575361?s=20

It's in the article, it's based off projections including J+J being approved. Seems pretty optimistic tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's in the article, it's based off projections including J+J being approved. Seems pretty optimistic tbh.

What are our projections based off? Do you think it won't be approved. That might be a bit pessimistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement