Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

Keyzer wrote: »
    McConkey is the David Icke of Covid19.

He'd the Dudley Le Blanc of Covid hysteria!
    At least O Neil may be for turning.

The vaccines are coming, get the arms out, 99% efficaciousness-icty..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What are our projections based off? Do you think it won't be approved. That might be a bit pessimistic.

It'll probably be approved, but it hasn't yet. Our estimates are based off a projection of 1 million a month from April from currently approved suppliers. If that increases our estimates should come down. Its not a good question, its daft. We are vaccinating as fast as we get them, and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Very general BBC magazine article on the quest to find out why COVID does what it does in severe cases, with a key focus on genetic influence.
    Some people are unusually resilient to the coronavirus, so scientists are now searching their genes and blood in the hope of finding the pandemic's Achilles' heel.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210219-the-covid-resistant-patients-e-the-viruss-weak-spots

What are our projections based off? Do you think it won't be approved. That might be a bit pessimistic.
    Ours, at least the numbers up to May, are based on probable supplies. There are no supplies of J&J yet but they are probably in the overall calculations. Our projections are in part realistic, and in part overcautious. Promising June or July just sets a vaccination programme up to be a punching bag if it fails. Some countries include Curevac, whose data we don't have yet. Even they have a contingency to bottle other vaccines if they are not happy with the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

To be honest I most believe the most likely result for j&j is that the EMA will delay approval until results of the two dose trial come in and that regimen will be approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Is this wishful thinking tho ?

I really hope it's true, it's a great article but feel it will all come crashing down ...

To be honest I most believe the most likely result for j&j is that the EMA will delay approval until results of the two dose trial come in and that regimen will be approved.
    At 66% efficacy that is very doubtful as it achieves a standard and like the others prevents severe cases , hospitalisations and deaths. This is what the vaccines are designed to do first. The single shot regime is a powerful motivator all round, especially as a lot of the high risk groups will have been done already.

Is this wishful thinking tho ?

I really hope it's true, it's a great article but feel it will all come crashing down ...

Yeah, I'd be wary of scientists bringing gifts like this. IMO, it's best to assume that we are looking at 6 months and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Getting texts from the Uk , two households can meet in the garden from 29th of March .It raised their spirits and gave hope .This is what is missing here , hope and something to aim for . With the result that people are now breaking the restrictions .
    They have no clue of the mood here and how to handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Based on what? Just your own random musings? A single dose vaccine has huge utility and the trials completed so far were based on a single dose.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be wary of scientists bringing gifts like this. IMO, it's best to assume that we looking at 6 months and more.

This 100%...
    a medicine, vaccine, drug, has been proven to be 4 times more likely to succeed or get to market if the manufacturer does not release the data for peer/independent review, which has yet to be done in full. Older people are considered dead ducks in such trials, as they can often pass away or react badly, so they make the product look bad.. This is why I'm betting there was only a few over 65's in one of the trials, the very cohort at risk it seems.
    Even at this stage the jabs in the arms are still "on trial" in terms of efficacy though the Israel one looks good.

There's a also a yellow card system in the UK where you can actually submit any side effects other than the usual ones.. I hope people realize that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Whatever your opinion of David McWilliiams or Denmark, it's a good question.

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1363762977426575361?s=20

Fair play to you, I shudder to think how much time you are giving this every day but if I want to find the most negative news any day I know where I will find it, you are consistent in an inconsistent world.

Fair play to you, I shudder to think how much time you are giving this every day but if I want to find the most negative news any day I know where I will find it, you are consistent in an inconsistent world.

Thing is, that is actually a positive story, just with a negative spin. If Denmark will have enough supply to vaccinate everyone by the end of June, well, so will we

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's a very good question. Why are there very different results in the 2 countries? And you don't seem to care but to call the poster out on negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's a very good question. Why are there very different results in the 2 countries? And you don't seem to care but to call the poster out on negativity.

Not different results. Different projections.

Not different results. Different projections.

yea Doc, like the formulae for the happiest day of the year or most depressing month...type of projections..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I actually don't think its a negative post?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cork2021 wrote: »

I think we need to extend lockdown to October at the very earliest based on this very disappointing news

it's clear to us all now that this vaccination program is failing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thing is, that is actually a positive story, just with a negative spin. If Denmark will have enough supply to vaccinate everyone by the end of June, well, so will we

we may have the stockpiled supply but we likely won't have the administrative and/or practical means in place to administer them (on a par with Denmark)

Hopefully that's not the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

This is a far more negative post than anything Caveat contributes.

Many of the people who clicked like on this crap are essentially non-contributors. They bring zero to the debate, just personal abuse. Much like yourself.

This is a far more negative post than anything Caveat contributes.

Many of the people who clicked like on this crap are essentially non-contributors. They bring zero to the debate, just personal abuse. Much like yourself.

Horsesh1t. Some people are just doom merchants and only post negative crap. Its tiresome.

Horsesh1t. Some people are just doom merchants and only post negative crap. Its tiresome.

Well then you have the wrong person. That's not Caveat.

How in the name of **** is posting an interesting question from Dave McWilliams seen as being negative?
    Why should Caveat have to deal with attacks on his or her very nature because of it?

Is this "positive"?
    Are you the good guys? I'd want nothing to do with your "positivity". Why don't you stop visiting a forum on an ongoing pandemic looking to be cheered up.

How in the name of **** is posting an interesting question from Dave McWilliams seen as being negative?
    Why should Caveat have to deal with attacks on his or her very nature because of it?

Is this "positive"?
    Are you the good guys? I'd want nothing to do with your "positivity". Why don't you stop visiting a forum on an ongoing pandemic looking to be cheered up.
    More coffee, more time off the keyboard! :)

Is this "positive"?

Interesting my hoop. The answer to the question is in the article for christs sake. Its sensationalist, negative, headline grabbing sh1te from McWillians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You can't dismiss valid criticisms of the govt as someone just posting negative news for the sake of it.

Are we supposed to ignore any hard questions because they are negative and might hurt your feelings?:pac:

Interesting my hoop. The answer to the question is in the article for christs sake. Its sensationalist, negative, headline grabbing sh1te from McWillians.

This is a very negative analysis. Are you always so negative?

I find it very interesting that the Danes are telling their people they'll all have access to vaccines by July.
    That is not the message over here. Why not?

It's an entirely valid topic of discussion, but all you can do is attack the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

timmyntc wrote: »
    You can't dismiss valid criticisms of the govt as someone just posting negative news for the sake of it.

Are we supposed to ignore any hard questions because they are negative and might hurt your feelings?:pac:

No one they don't like is allowed to ask valid questions or criticise the government.

I got bingo on doommerchants

This is a very negative analysis. Are you always so negative?

I find it very interesting that the Danes are telling their people they'll all have access to vaccines by July.
    That is not the message over here. Why not?

It's an entirely valid topic of discussion, but all you can do is attack the poster.

I criticised McWilliams. We are using different projections. It's in the article. Maybe read it.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    No one they don't like is allowed to ask valid questions or criticise the government.

I got bingo on doommerchants

Well done you. Criticise the government all you want, but the vaccine rollout is being managed by the HSE. Discussions should be fact based, not based on sensationalised tweets from people trying to attract clicks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement