Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This is interesting.
    Sunglasses for all?

https://twitter.com/secupp/status/1363556542063214600?s=19

Long before covid I remember reading about how most flus are contracted via the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is the plan due out tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Step 4 sorry

We of course may be permitted to have an “outdoor” summer.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Is the plan due out tomorrow?

The compare and contrast in tone between the UK today and us tomorrow will be quite something!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

UK planning an end to all social restrictions in just 17 weeks time. That will be absolutely huge if it comes to pass.

MM & co will need to revise plans to keep us under glorified house arrest and within 5km of our homes until close to then if they want to retain compliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They got alot of stick for their handling of things but credit where its due that UK plan is quite comprehensive.

People know what they're working towards & clearly know the rewards. Of course it might not go to plan and there might be a few delays along the way but its the type of plan we should absolutely be aiming for but no doubt won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

There were people drinking pints outside a pub in Rathfarnham that I passed yesterday.

Bad form. I know the issue is that rurally the pub is the off licence which meant it was difficult to differentiate. Perhaps this is best dealt with by local bye laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

TheDoctor wrote: »
    The compare and contrast in tone between the UK today and us tomorrow will be quite something!

5.2km in 5 weeks and 5.4km by end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

They got alot of stick for their handling of things but credit where its due that UK plan is quite comprehensive.

People know what they're working towards & clearly know the rewards. Of course it might not go to plan and there might be a few delays along the way but its the type of plan we should absolutely be aiming for but no doubt won't.

Might put a bit of pressure on the government to give dates

Our plan will probably be two months behind the UK the way the government is talking things down

MattS1 wrote: »
    5.2km in 5 weeks and 5.4km by end of September.

That made me laugh and sad in equal measure.

Top post!

• Advertisement

Do we see the North going with the same dates as mainland UK?

12 April - Shops, hairdressers, gyms and outdoor hospitality

17 May - Cinemas, hotels, performances and sporting events also restart at this point - including up to 10,000 fans in largest stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ours is more likely to be just a rejigging of the current 5 levels. We'll also get news of all the things we know nothing about, like schools opening next week. I doubt we'll see any dates, just future announcements to say we are ready to move to Level X. They may even use Level 4 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully Boris can give us the leftover vaccines they won't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Didn't hear much mention of new variants from Boris during his speech, hopefully Michael Martin might take a leaf from his book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

17 May - Cinemas, hotels, performances and sporting events also restart at this point - including up to 10,000 fans in largest stadiums.

I'd be surprised if they don't.

Also removing ban on overseas travel in May.

It is a clear, hopeful plan. With a clear way out of this, and public support from the science chiefs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ours is more likely to be just a rejigging of the current 5 levels. We'll also get news of all the things we know nothing about, like schools opening next week. I doubt we'll see any dates, just future announcements to say we are ready to move to Level X. They may even use Level 4 this time.

And this is exactly the problem.

Clear targets are needed, the UK plan gives hope & something to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Clear targets are needed

I agree. Living with Covid was brought in at a time when we did not have visibility on vaccinations. It was well meaning but it never really had much of a chance as the public health people were never really a fan of it.

What we need is a rehash of last year’s reopening plan which is broadly linked to indicators such as vaccination schedules going to plan. Indeed, the UK most likely had a look at that plan from last year.

Clear targets are needed
    I think they are hiding behind NPHET on that. The magic 100 cases a day seem to be 6 weeks into the future. The last government gave us a plan quickly enough despite the case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Might put a bit of pressure on the government to give dates

Our plan will probably be two months behind the UK the way the government is talking things down

If they give us dates and targets we will miss them, it's guaranteed.

They are best off leaving it vague. Even the UK plan is specific in so far as it's saying "no earlier than". Funny that people are reading what they want to read "on this date this will certainly happen".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see no reason why they won't. As I have said before, watch what happens in the UK and Europe and ignore what our incoherent government are doing.

Looks like overseas holidays possible from 17 May also.

If NI follows that route, the same pretty much be applied from down here. Exciting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Did I just read the words 'comprehensive plan' and 'Boris Johnson' in the same sentence?

The guy's a spoofer. As in many occasions in the past, he's telling his electorate what they want to hear.

His handling of the pandemic to date has been catastrophic, and if it weren't for the success of the Oxford vaccine (which they bet the farm on, don't forget) things would be looking quite bleak for the UK.

I hope it works out for them, but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if things fall flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I expect the roads to the north will be quite full starting april/may then.

muddypuppy wrote: »

My thoughts exactly, holidaying in the North this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

muddypuppy wrote: »

Guaranteed and Belfast airport may have a bumper Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surely we should be aiming for similar things down here regarding non essential retail anyway. 12 April is still 6 weeks away. I think it is not mad to allow them open then, cases will be relatively low, vaccines flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

mr zulu wrote: »
    Didn't hear much mention of new variants from Boris during his speech, hopefully Michael Martin might take a leaf from his book.

Because the new variants angle is just scare tactics by Micheál to try and keep us all compliant. It’s also amazing how lacking in self awareness the man is, parroting off about new variants trying to keep us compliant while ignoring the elephant in the room about how they got here in the first place. All it does is piss people off

If they give us dates and targets we will miss them, it's guaranteed.

They are best off leaving it vague. Even the UK plan is specific in so far as it's saying "no earlier than". Funny that people are reading what they want to read "on this date this will certainly happen".
    I think they are reading an actual plan, where we have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Clear targets are needed, the UK plan gives hope & something to aim for

I agree with the sentiment, but the problem here is that we'll be two weeks out from a milestone and those effected by it will start wanting to know if XYZ is going to happen. They'll also need to decide what we do if a target is almost reached, but not quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Because the new variants angle is just scare tactics by Micheál to try and keep us all compliant. It’s also amazing how lacking in self awareness the man is, parroting off about new variants trying to keep us compliant while ignoring the elephant in the room about how they got here in the first place. All it does is piss people off

What got us here in the first place, oh yeah, everyone doing whatever the hell they wanted at Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement