Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Who thought we'd see the day when the U.K. and Boris Johnson would make an absolutely holy show out or our 'Existing with Covid' plan that's due tomorrow. RTÉ were pathetic on Drive Time there on Radio 1 actually trying to talk it down - variants, is it too fast, someone please find us some negativity to spin...

What the Government SHOULD announce tomorrow:
    - Reopening of schools
    - Abolishment of 5km restriction and proper policing / ticketing of beauty spots. A busy beauty spot is not enough of a reason to keep people imprisoned for weeks on end under the 5km rule.
    - Reopen outdoor sports like golf, tennis.
    - Show us the goal as to what we are currently working towards - 'outdoor summer' / no indoor dining, etc. Absolutely pathetic plan and not good enough.

Agree , totally .
    While Boris's plan seems aspirational they have a lot of sensible safeguards built in .
    They of course are a few months ahead of us vaccine wise , but by mid April we should we making more headway with that , for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

timmyntc wrote: »
    Boris may well hit his targets given a whopping 25% of UK have gotten 1st vaccine dose, & studies indicate after 1st dose you are 80% less likely to end up in hospital.

If they push on and vaccinate the vulnerable then could easily be hitting all those targets, if not pushing them forward by some weeks.

I agree. I don’t think it is ambitious at all. It is actually realistic. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The only thing that can go wrong with the UKs UKs roadmap is that a variant evades the vaccines

Other than that they will be 100 percent be able to go ahead with getting back to normal as planned

Quite exciting

Might even arrange my mates stag in Belfast for July / August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is this not the English roadmap as opposed to a UK roadmap? Am I missing something or are the devolved administrations yet to publish their plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I agree. I don’t think it is ambitious at all. It is actually realistic. Fair play to them.

In fairness anyone calling it ambitious is probably comparing it to our "we'll maybe do something in the summer, possibly, we'll see" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Agree , totally .
    While Boris's plan seems aspirational they have a lot of sensible safeguards built in .
    They of course are a few months ahead of us vaccine wise , but by mid April we should we making more headway with that , for sure .

Yes their vaccine programme has been very successful - the new data emerging re one shot efficacy in Pfizer and Oxford would definitely speed it up here, or at the very least - 2nd doses should be pushed to 12 weeks.
    I heard Kevin Doyle from the Independent on Claire Byrne earlier saying the constant leaks were needed to 'soften people up' to what's coming. I actually think they've had the opposite effect. They need to lay out our plan and strategy coupled with vaccination expectations and supply for the public to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

No press conference this evening due to the Cabinet sub-committee meeting

On virgin media news twitter just there

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

shinzon wrote: »
    No press conference this evening due to the Cabinet sub-committee meeting

On virgin media news twitter just there

Shin

"Right lads, we need to come up with a real plan now Boris has put something together. All hands on deck."

I would also be mindful that if the UK comes out of this strong, it will have made the EU look very scattered and mixed up, I think there's a bit of this at play, the old Empire outlook values, god save the queen, Britannia waves the rules and all that. time will tell but it's giong to be very interesting... "If Covid was a mugger!!" vintage Johnson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why are they only meeting today if the plan was due this week? They had 2 weeks notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

If you really want to know why we will still be in the sh1tter come summer.
    A group of 8 to 10 tourists outside King John's castle Limerick.
    Don't blame them so much, I blame our pussy lilly liveried regime that talks the talk but that's about as far as it goes
    Don't blame people getting fed up and starting to flout our restrictions. I'm sick to the teeth at this stage. In my opinion this is as much about a government and administration that wouldn't organise a p1ss up in a brewery.
    Why as a country are we so inept at organising and implementing legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

mr zulu wrote: »
    Fair dues to the UK road map, listening to Boris giveing the English great hope, mean while in Ireland, Al we have is doom and gloom.

This is the third of fourth time I've seen people fall completely for Johnson's blue-sky bullshít.

The UK's plan is wildly optimistic. And it's not the first time the government over there has launched a plan that they've had to eventually had roll back on. It's not even the second time.

Johnson and the rest of his cronies love getting people looking the other way and talking about "plans" instead of focusing on their catastrophic death toll.

Johnson has announced numerous plans and promises that have either never been delivered or have had to be rolled back on. He's a populist spoofer with a long list of undelivered promises.

People are endlessly cynical about our government, not without reason, but yet lap up every bit of weightless guff from BoJo? Even though his record through the pandemic has been utterly disastrous. Where's the critical thinking there?

I hope the UK plans work, because it offers a clear pathway and plan for everyone, but anyone with a brain in their head should be a bit cautious before we announce the genius of their plan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MattS1 wrote: »
    Why are they only meeting today if the plan was due this week? They had 2 weeks notice.
    They meet regularly, it's a final meeting before it's published.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

First story on the RTE news is waiting lists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

MattS1 wrote: »

Because for some reason they wanted to make recommendations based off the latest data:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Coming up on lots of “one year since” articles and tweets, I just saw BNO retweet the news of the first Italian lockdown. This was linked in the replies. Madness what’s changed in a year

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1231346166555643905?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Arghus wrote: »
    This is the third of fourth time I've seen people fall completely for Johnson's blue-sky bullshít.

The UK's plan is wildly optimistic. And it's not the first time the government over there has launched a plan that they've had to eventually had roll back on. It's not even the second time.

Johnson and the rest of his cronies love getting people looking the other way and talking about "plans" instead of focusing on their catastrophic death toll.

Johnson has announced numerous plans and promises that have either never been delivered or have had to be rolled back on. He's a populist spoofer with a long list of undelivered promises.

People are endlessly cynical about our government, not without reason, but yet lap up every bit of weightless guff from BoJo? Even though his record through the pandemic has been utterly disastrous. Where's the critical thinking there?

I hope the UK plans work, because it offers a clear pathway and plan for everyone, but anyone with a brain in their head should be a bit cautious before we announce the genius of their plan

I believe the tactic is called boosterism. I too hope their plan works as if it fails, ours will too - as it stands entirely on the success of delivering and continuing effectiveness of the vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Its aspirational and offers hope. Something to aim for.

Carrying on like this is simply unsustainable. Public compliance is dissipating fast. We have to have dates for reopening otherwise all public good will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes they're vaccine programme has been very successful - the new data emerging re one shot efficacy in Pfizer and Oxford would definitely speed it up here, or at the very least - 2nd doses should be pushed to 12 weeks.
    I heard Kevin Doyle from the Independent on Claire Byrne earlier saying the constant leaks were needed to 'soften people up' to what's coming. I actually think they've had the opposite effect. They need to lay out our plan and strategy coupled with vaccination expectations and supply for the public to see.

Pushing the dose out causes a lowering of immunity from week 5 which should be ok if still in lockdown and people over there shielding until their second dose .
    Might not be ok if restrictions lifted at the same time , unfortunately .

However I think Boris has done a lot more than just talk the talk since December , fair dues to him .
    Ours are pathetic, and far from ' softening' the public the constant and contradictory leaks are embarrassing and annoying .
    I would be normally pro restrictions but after the last few days I am angry that we are left hanging for 3 or 4 days waiting for our Taoiseach to come back and explain his most recent press outing , waiting for Eamonn Ryan and Donnelly yo dort out the mandatory quarantine , fir 4 weeks now since it was agreed it should be introduced.
    Norma Foley's continuing poor performance, with secondary schools generally not back until mid April .
    And Leo leaking sxxxe whenever ..
    It must also be noted that they have all received the recent public service payrise which pushes ministerial salaries above €100, 000 !
    There needs to be a lot more accountability for those in government ...
    Thinking MM, Nirma Foley , Eamonn Ryan , Leo and S.Donnelly for starters , pvss poor performances :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

is_that_so wrote: »
    They meet regularly, it's a final meeting before it's published.

So I haven't been following the news today but what’s the reports about what is supposed to be published tomorrow ? I assume(letting myself open to disappointment doing that) that there’ll be vague timelines and nothing very solid on dates ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

1 death and 686 cases.

Deaths coming down nicely it seems.

As of 8am today, 726 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 156 are in ICU.

As of February 19th, 340,704 doses have been administered in Ireland.

If we vaccinate 100,000 per week we should have 1 million doses completed by March 31st hopefully.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Its aspirational and offers hope. Something to aim for.

Carrying on like this is simply unsustainable. Public compliance is dissipating fast. We have to have dates for reopening otherwise all public good will be gone.

If compliance disappears before the roll out of vaccines, then what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭amandstu

gw80 wrote: »
    "What then",
    We are going to see a lot of yellow reg campervans and caravans enjoying the beaches and other scenic areas that we are not allowed to visit.

That not just all about their fast vaccination programme?

Bound to ease the way forward.Am looking at their numbers and hope their gain will also represent a gain for us as the North no longer represents such a problem with "virus overspill" as I felt it has been in the past (though not as much ,it seems as our own Christmas madness was)

Difference is the vaccine rollout though, which allows for some ambition. And the data from out of Scotland about the efficacy of AZ and Pfizer in stopping hospitalisations is very good (94% for AZ after 1 dose)

And the plan is premised on vaccination rates and hospital admissions, not overall infection rates per se.

I think that it is cautious enough that none of the steps will need to be rolled back upon, even of the next stage is pushed out longer. The scientific advisors are certainly unanimously behind it, which has not necessarily been the case before. Its been well received by virologists on British radio this afternoon who would have to date have been very critical.

FWIW, I think that stages 2 and 3 will be delayed. But the fact that the clarity of the plan, gives everyone something to get behind. And there is something to look to and hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Goldengirl wrote: »
    However I think Boris has done a lot more than just talk the talk since December

Can't disagree with anything you said about our leadership. Have to ask though what has Boris actually done? What action has he taken?

As far as I'm concerned both sides of the British Isles have been woeful in this. They're awfully lucky vaccinations are bailing them out.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Can't disagree with anything you said about our leadership. Have to ask though what has Boris actually done? What action has he taken?

As far as I'm concerned both sides of the British Isles have been woeful in this. They're awfully lucky vaccinations are bailing them out.

Had this crisis happened 10 years ago, we be up the creek without a paddle. It would be 2 or 3 years before the standard method of producing vaccines would be able to come up with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I haven't been following the news today but what’s the reports about what is supposed to be published tomorrow ? I assume(letting myself open to disappointment doing that) that there’ll be vague timelines and nothing very solid on dates ?
    An updated version of the "Living with COVID" plan so disappointment be the right response!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

This UK reopening plan doesnt fill me with much confidence when they seemingly have already factored in deaths and hospilisations into the plan even with the 5 week review in between
    Mr Johnson continues that Sage modelling "shows we cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalisations and sadly, more deaths and this would happen whenever a lockdown is lifted.

Boris always seems to have some aspirational bull**** quote like irreversible lockdown when he knows damn well he cant promise that, im hoping im wrong but I can only see this ending in disaster again the population of the UK in 2020 was 67,886,011, theyve only vaccinated 17 million or so a long way to go to get everyone that wants it vaccinated or to reach critical mass.

Hope im wrong I really do well see I guess

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

1 death
    686 cases.

Are deaths starting to slow even more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The numbers are dropping.
    100k supposed to be vaccinated this week.
    First vaccine is proving to be over 80% effective.

This country should be fully reopened, full whack by March 8th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement